As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

After Parties?

• GeekyPanda404GeekyPanda404 The Geeky Panda ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    Anything else major happening on Saturday because it seems like everything good is happening on Friday. Any word on a Nvidia After Party?

mYPBAfl.jpg
  • KatlamosKatlamos Greenville, PARegistered User regular
    So here's a dumb question: What usually goes on at the after parties? Last year was my first year at PAX (and my first major con) so I was kind of dealing with the shock that comes from being woefully under prepared, but I'd like to try and talk my group to going out and being social. Suggestion?

IxuJJxt.png
  • claynfernoclaynferno Registered User new member
    Mon 3/13
    The Protomen, MC Frontalot, Power Glove, Bit Brigade
    At ROYALE

6:30 pm doors
    tickets at ticketweb.com

http://do617.com/events/2017/3/13/the-protomen-mc-frontalot-bit-brigade

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    Katlamos wrote: »
    So here's a dumb question: What usually goes on at the after parties? Last year was my first year at PAX (and my first major con) so I was kind of dealing with the shock that comes from being woefully under prepared, but I'd like to try and talk my group to going out and being social. Suggestion?

mostly drinking lol. at certain parties they have systems and stuff like that set up as well. normally a dj will do a vid game type set i love them

• thehumandivinethehumandivine buffaloRegistered User regular
    a few years ago I was able to get in the Wolfenstein party. And 2 years ago there was a Borderlands party. Does anyone have any info on GAME specific parties? Im wondering about a Bioware party if there is one.

• PanzerFreakPanzerFreak Registered User new member
    edited February 2017
    mod edit: please do not resell things on the forums.

zerzhul on
  • craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Anything else major happening on Saturday because it seems like everything good is happening on Friday. Any word on a Nvidia After Party?
    Nvidia doesnt seem to be coming to PAX as they dont have any panels nor do they have a booth.

DXLJjjr.png
  • robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    craiola wrote: »
    Nvidia doesnt seem to be coming to PAX as they dont have any panels nor do they have a booth.

Weird. Didn't they announce that they would be unveiling the 1080ti at PAX East? http://wccftech.com/gtx-1080-ti-coming-pax-east-nvidia-aib/ just one link, a bunch of websites were reporting it in January.

6pq9je4.png
    Hmm. That's interesting. I wonder what they have planned without a booth or a panel

DXLJjjr.png
  • Zap-RoboZap-Robo This Space Intentionally Left Blank Youngstown, OHRegistered User regular
    Katlamos wrote: »

After parties normally have a combination of some or all of the following..
    • Music (often video game-themed in whole or part)
    • Free-stuff/Swag
    • Drinks
    • Meeting devs socially

Most are friendly to cosplayers and con-goers in that they have relaxed dress codes and give us all a chance to do something in the evening if the late night panels and activities at the con are not to our liking (e.g. like when this years' concerts don't interest me).

Andy "Zap-Robo" Barber
    Editor in Chief @ www.mmo-central.com
    Hmm. That's interesting. I wonder what they have planned without a booth or a panel

Yeah lol, I would think that would be very difficult haha

6pq9je4.png
  • Zap-RoboZap-Robo This Space Intentionally Left Blank Youngstown, OHRegistered User regular

Potentially they could be doing this through partners - EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, PNY and Zotac are all present with booths and are all their Board Partners (per http://www.nvidia.com/object/pf_boardpartners.html) and only ASUS is missing from that list.

Not saying it's a thing, just that with all but one of their partners there it'd at least be doable (and Gigabyte has a nice large booth).

Andy "Zap-Robo" Barber
    Editor in Chief @ www.mmo-central.com
  • KumaKuma Registered User regular
    I'm surprised no one has ever done a forum meetup. Seems with the lack of Saturday parties it might be a good idea

f7v9h.jpg
    Kuma wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has ever done a forum meetup. Seems with the lack of Saturday parties it might be a good idea

Actually while not a party there are plenty of forum meet ups posted here
    The previous pax dinner, the Thursday night game night at the westin, and the magical mystery tour are just a few

DXLJjjr.png
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    I don't see a separate thread for the parties, so here is the information on the Pre-PAX Dinner which will be on Thursday evening

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/209796/hungry-for-some-pre-pax-dinner-tickets-are-live#latest

This will take place prior to the Pokecrawl and Westin Game Night.

• GameOverBostonGameOverBoston Registered User regular
    Another year another incredible weekend long party with Asylum Gaming and Esports​

Event Page

Here is an overview of what we have going on over the weekend!

Food and Free Play:

Skip the line! All weekend starting starting at noon Laugh Boston throws open its doors and fires up its kitchen to bring you the best and fastest service in Boston! Even better, you can order and then play any game you want while you wait! Want some VR to go with your fries? We can do that. Want to sing free bird while the bartender mixes your drink? We can absolutely do that, though we would prefer you didn’t.

Food and Free Play will occur Friday from Noon to 5pm, Saturday Noon to 6pm, and Sunday Noon to 6pm.

After Parties:

Everyone knows the best part of Pax is the after parties, and AGE brings you the best there is. Just games, tens of thousands of them. Arcade games, board games, card games, video games, rhythm games, music games, virtual reality games, quidditch water pong, tournaments, cosplay contests, themed drinks menu, fantastic prizes, giveaways, and many more surprises! AGE is the place to be for your Pax weekend. With 16 arcade cabinets, 50 consoles, hundreds of board games, 70 VR games, card games and more galore, AGE is the place to be for your Pax weekend.

After Party Times:

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Show Against Humanity:

Based on the party game Cards Against Humanity – The Show Against Humanity is as rottenly wild as your most deranged thoughts. And, well… we wouldn’t have it any other way.

Bring your grandmother if you dare, The Show Against Humanity promises to serve up filthy improvisational comedy worthy of an immediate therapy appointment. You’ll hate yourself for laughing. #sorrynotsorry

Show Against Humanity Times:

Saturday

Sunday

• Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    What time do the After Parties end at the Laugh Boston?

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • smorggiesmorggie Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Can someone that was at the Laugh Boston event in the evening last year explain what it was like? I have been to the Game Over (recently renamed Player 1/Player 2) events that they have on Tuesday nights once a month at Laugh Boston in the past. It was a very chill environment, and I am wondering if the event at PAX last year was more of a party atmosphere with a lot of socializing, music, and dancing, or if it was like the Tuesday night events where everyone seems to be quietly in their little bubbles playing games.

My thought is that while it was great to chill and play games on a Tuesday night for no cover charge, that is not the environment I am looking for on a night at PAX, especially if I am paying $20 cover.

smorggie wrote: »
    Can someone that was at the Laugh Boston event in the evening last year explain what it was like? I have been to the Game Over (recently renamed Player 1/Player 2) events that they have on Tuesday nights once a month at Laugh Boston in the past. It was a very chill environment, and I am wondering if the event at PAX last year was more of a party atmosphere with a lot of socializing, music, and dancing, or if it was like the Tuesday night events where everyone seems to be quietly in their little bubbles playing games.

My thought is that while it was great to chill and play games on a Tuesday night for no cover charge, that is not the environment I am looking for on a night at PAX, especially if I am paying $20 cover.

When I was there last year getting a couple drinks around 10pm, the atmosphere was closer too everyone in their little bubbles playing games than the party and socializing atmosphere unfortunately. I played a couple arcade games with people and the potential is definitely there, I mean the number of games they had at Laugh Boston was pretty cool, though they advertised having the Vive there and I never saw it so I was disappointed. I could have totally just dropped in at the wrong time, but it seemed like the Westin lobby was more lively than Laugh Boston.

6pq9je4.png

To add to that, it was nice to be able to grab a drink in a short line. On Sunday I visited the bar in the Westin lobby after the show floor shut down and waited about 30 mins. That was insane. Not sure if that was the kind of experience on Friday, but I would much rather pay the $20 fee for the Game Over party just to have the exclusive access to my alcoholic elixir.

6pq9je4.png
  • JamesLandinoJamesLandino Composer/Sound Designer Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I am wondering if the event at PAX last year was more of a party atmosphere with a lot of socializing, music, and dancing, or if it was like the Tuesday night events where everyone seems to be quietly in their little bubbles playing games.

If you're looking for a party with dancing, music and socializing as well as gaming feel free to check out Party With Your Friends. We're going for that legit nightclub party vibe for gamers.

https://pwyf.eventbrite.com

JamesLandino on
    What time do the After Parties end at the Laugh Boston?

friday and saturday end at 2am, sunday at midnight.

robirex wrote: »

When I was there last year getting a couple drinks around 10pm, the atmosphere was closer too everyone in their little bubbles playing games than the party and socializing atmosphere unfortunately. I played a couple arcade games with people and the potential is definitely there, I mean the number of games they had at Laugh Boston was pretty cool, though they advertised having the Vive there and I never saw it so I was disappointed. I could have totally just dropped in at the wrong time, but it seemed like the Westin lobby was more lively than Laugh Boston.

ended up just buying our own vive after the debacle of last year, security wouldnt let us get it off the show floor. Have 70 games for it now too.

ended up just buying our own vive after the debacle of last year, security wouldnt let us get it off the show floor. Have 70 games for it now too.

Thanks for the update. I have a group this year so I may consider trying this again. It would be really cool to have them all try the Vive. Especially on Saturday when it doesn't seem like too much is going on. Thanks again!

6pq9je4.png

Thanks for the update. I have a group this year so I may consider trying this again. It would be really cool to have them all try the Vive. Especially on Saturday when it doesn't seem like too much is going on. Thanks again!

if you get me your names before the event i can throw you guys on the list in consecutive time slots

My friends and I went for the vive and paid expecting it to be there but they didn't have one. TBH I don't think its worth the $20 they want. Its a chill vibe of playing boardgames. Pretty much its a paid westin pre pax board game night except all weekend.

DXLJjjr.png
    My friends and I went for the vive and paid expecting it to be there but they didn't have one. TBH I don't think its worth the $20 they want. Its a chill vibe of playing boardgames. Pretty much its a paid westin pre pax board game night except all weekend.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I might throw them another $20 on Saturday though and I'll at least I'll have quicker service when I want drinks. It was a pretty cool gaming/arcade area, it was just kinda empty last year. Maybe my group can help shake shit up and with a confirmed Vive I bet more people will want to check it out.

6pq9je4.png
  • sammillssammills NJRegistered User regular
    2nd wave of Harmonix are up here. :)

yJyIjnX.png

sammills wrote: »
    2nd wave of Harmonix are up here. :)

Got em! Thank youuuuu

What happens at the Harmonix parties anyways? I just hear they are the best thing ever and a friend told me that I need to go or I am at risk of being the least cool person.

6pq9je4.png
  • jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    What happens at the Harmonix parties anyways? I just hear they are the best thing ever and a friend told me that I need to go or I am at risk of being the least cool person.

Food, Drink, Hard Rock, Music. Its just a fun night to hang with friends, listen to good tunes and not feel crammed in like a sardine (see: most other PAX-adjacent parties)

npyymaqh3gup.png
    jayh0va wrote: »

Food, Drink, Hard Rock, Music. Its just a fun night to hang with friends, listen to good tunes and not feel crammed in like a sardine (see: most other PAX-adjacent parties)

Awesome. Just checking out Tigerman WOAH now. They are playing at the Harmonix party. They are so freaking good. Can't wait. Thanks man!

6pq9je4.png
  • divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    Man aaaaaa d they're gone lol.

• casstronautcasstronaut Boston, MARegistered User regular
    So in the absence of the usual Saturday parties, I'm looking into the AGE/Laugh Boston/PAX Mega Party Weekend. I see there's some feedback on it earlier in the thread, but what exactly does a $20 ticket get you? Just access to the venue and games, or does it include some sort of food and/or drink?

Reading that it was kind of a quiet vibe last year, I'd hate to drop the cash if it's not going to be as lively as somewhere I can haunt for free, like the madness that is the Westin lobby bar.

• KumaKuma Registered User regular
    So in the absence of the usual Saturday parties, I'm looking into the AGE/Laugh Boston/PAX Mega Party Weekend. I see there's some feedback on it earlier in the thread, but what exactly does a $20 ticket get you? Just access to the venue and games, or does it include some sort of food and/or drink?

Reading that it was kind of a quiet vibe last year, I'd hate to drop the cash if it's not going to be as lively as somewhere I can haunt for free, like the madness that is the Westin lobby bar.

I'm thinking my go to is going to be the whiskey priest which is right down the road. It's a good time over there.

f7v9h.jpg
  • b00tlegb00tleg Registered User regular
    Thats a good alte
    Kuma wrote: »

I'm thinking my go to is going to be the whiskey priest which is right down the road. It's a good time over there.

That's a good alternative. ie another large bar venue.

Not sure how we could be considered a quiet environment as last year each night had at least 300 people at all times. Heres what we have going this year as far as equipment, 16 arcade cabinets including classics and rhythm games such as ddr, iidx, jubeat, mortal kombat, virtua cop, cruisn exotica head to head etc. 50 consoles modern and retro, board games, card games, HTC Vive VR room scale setup with 70 games to play. The ticket price gets you in the door to play whatever you like all night long. friday runs 6pm to 2 am, saturday and sunday we have show against humanity which is an improv show based on cards against humanity, the audience chooses the card combo and the actors create a scene with it, and after SAH both nights have their own after parties as well.

I think what we are trying to get at is that a lot of the other parties have live music and dj's. Hence why the AGE/Laugh Boston party is considered more "chill" I attended last year and while there were a lot of people you could'nt find table space or a place to game. So it ended up being a waste of our time. Not saying that people won't enjoy it, but its not going to be the same vibe as Party With your Friends or Harmonix.

DXLJjjr.png
  • casstronautcasstronaut Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I've never actually been, so I'm trying to get a feel for the general vibe, and I was just echoing what I had read on this forum so far. It's helpful to know what the cover charge gets you (seems like lots of games & shows). Some folks are more into gaming, some are more into eating, some are more into drinking, dancing, etc., so thanks for the info!

Not sure how we could be considered a quiet environment as last year each night had at least 300 people at all times. Heres what we have going this year as far as equipment, 16 arcade cabinets including classics and rhythm games such as ddr, iidx, jubeat, mortal kombat, virtua cop, cruisn exotica head to head etc. 50 consoles modern and retro, board games, card games, HTC Vive VR room scale setup with 70 games to play. The ticket price gets you in the door to play whatever you like all night long. friday runs 6pm to 2 am, saturday and sunday we have show against humanity which is an improv show based on cards against humanity, the audience chooses the card combo and the actors create a scene with it, and after SAH both nights have their own after parties as well.

I think what we are trying to get at is that a lot of the other parties have live music and dj's. Hence why the AGE/Laugh Boston party is considered more "chill" I attended last year and while there were a lot of people you could'nt find table space or a place to game. So it ended up being a waste of our time. Not saying that people won't enjoy it, but its not going to be the same vibe as Party With your Friends or Harmonix.

I definitely get what you mean now, last year we had a DJ and some other acts and it turned out to be a bit of a disaster haha. Our view is that we want to offer a place for gamers to come together and play games and for our space having a DJ doesnt mesh terribly well and just kind of distracts from that. Obviously not the environment everyone is looking for in terms of an after party but luckily there are many other parties this year and something for everyone.

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    @GameOverBoston silly question is it $20 per day or does the one ticket get you in the entire weekend?