As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat]ing from home

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    to be able to retire with a million dollars I would have to be a lot older than I am

live fast, die young

for instance,
    Trace wrote: »
    seriously just a giant plate a ribs guys

like 20 of 'em

consider spending a million dollars on ribs

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    i typed up a joke post about all lives not being equally valuable but it was too gross so please enjoy this post instead
    I mean, they aren't. Shark lives are worth the least of all.

>.>

<.<

(jk, ilu Shark)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    would you imprison yourself for 20 years so you could have 1 million dollars at the end of it

what if I told you this was a description of the wage system

boom

is the prison free

because I mean

this is a pretty hot deal if so

ftOqU21.png
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    to be able to retire with a million dollars I would have to be a lot older than I am

live fast, die young

for instance,
    Trace wrote: »
    seriously just a giant plate a ribs guys

like 20 of 'em

consider spending a million dollars on ribs

in a heart beat

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    anybody want free civ 4 (/w everything) or civ 5 (without)?

aRkpc.gif
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Speaking of the wage system:

- Get up at 5am
    - Work by 6am
    - Typical work bullshit for 8hrs + lunch break
    - Home at 3:45pm
    - Take out trash
    - Do the dishes
    - Make banana bread muffins before the bananas on the counter go bad

Finally sitting down now at 4:30. Still have to figure out dinner tonight.

Wife and kids were home all day.

Family Life is the REAL wage slavery.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Whether you are willing to humiliate each other for gain and for how much should be worked out early in a relationship just like how big of an issue children are going to be.

Also whether you are willing to push the red button that gives you a million dollars but will kill someone you don't know.

This is super easy, here is the conversation script:

"did you know you can donate to charities that have an efficiency of $20 giving one person fresh water for twenty years?"

"Oh shit so donating like a thousand dollars means you come out ahead."

"Yes, it'd be immoral NOT to press the button!"

Then seven billion clicks later you're quadrillionaires.
    The most effective way to save a human life is malaria netting which costs about 3500 per person.

Press the button, donate $7000 to the appropriate charity, repeat

You're coming out ahead

$3500 per net or $3500 per malaria incident prevented or $3500 per life saved

I believe it's $3500 for a lifetime supply of malaria netting
    $3500 directly into my pocket. Please buy more malaria netting.

you;re in the pocket of big malaria?

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    would you imprison yourself for 20 years so you could have 1 million dollars at the end of it

boom

is the prison free

because I mean

this is a pretty hot deal if so

yeah maybe in your prisons

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    has anyone actually gone to meetups

what are some ones that would actually be fun, i don't even know what to search for. I'm not drinking!

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Whether you are willing to humiliate each other for gain and for how much should be worked out early in a relationship just like how big of an issue children are going to be.

Also whether you are willing to push the red button that gives you a million dollars but will kill someone you don't know.

"did you know you can donate to charities that have an efficiency of $20 giving one person fresh water for twenty years?"

The most effective way to save a human life is malaria netting which costs about 3500 per person.

You're coming out ahead

$3500 per net or $3500 per malaria incident prevented or $3500 per life saved

I believe it's $3500 for a lifetime supply of malaria netting
    $3500 directly into my pocket. Please buy more malaria netting.

you;re in the pocket of big malaria?
    Yes.

I'm flat fuckin' broke.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

We'd both push the red button even if it killed someone we did know.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Make food eat food

can you feel the struggle within?
    y2jake215 wrote: »

what are some ones that would actually be fun, i don't even know what to search for. I'm not drinking!
    Technically, the a cappella group that I'm singing in and my thursday board game nights are meetups. They sounded like fun to me, and so I went.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    is anyone in chat getting married soon?

https://www.dominosweddingregistry.com/

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    wings and ribs for dinner

I mean fine I guess........ IF I HAVE TO I WILL

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    Mortious wrote: »

what's the cutoff for know

the amount of my acquaintances > the amount of people that I like

so it wouldn't necessarily be a big loss

ftOqU21.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Tav wrote: »
    is anyone in chat getting married soon?

https://www.dominosweddingregistry.com/

Several of the man-gays are.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

boom

Also yes

3 meals a day, guaranteed bed, shower, shelter, cable television, library, gym membership, can work in the kitchen if I behave myself

Aside from the inability to ever launch rockets, prison might be my dream, you guys.

And I can launch the rockets after I'm out, I suppose.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    i typed up a joke post about all lives not being equally valuable but it was too gross so please enjoy this post instead
    The original post was the edgy hilarious post you all thought it was. It was too amazing to live 10 out of 10.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

boom

Also yes

3 meals a day, guaranteed bed, shower, shelter, cable television, library, gym membership, can work in the kitchen if I behave myself

Aside from the inability to ever launch rockets, prison might be my dream, you guys.

Well, that and the rape and death.

And if I misbehave, I get the sheer sexual thrill of being tazed, and then I'm punished by being separated from gen pop?

I mean where do I sign up?

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

In the original version, it was some asshole genie bullshit.
    "Button, Button" was first published in Playboy, June 1970, a short story written by Richard Matheson. The story was republished as part of a collection of Matheson's short stories.

In the original short story, the plot is resolved differently. Norma presses the button, and receives the money—after her husband dies in a train incident where Arthur is pushed onto the tracks (the money was the no-fault insurance settlement, which is $50,000 instead of the $200,000 in the Twilight Zone episode). A despondent Norma asks the stranger why her husband was the one who was killed. The stranger replies, "Did you really think you knew your husband?"

Matheson strongly disapproved of the Twilight Zone version, especially the new ending, and used his pseudonym Logan Swanson for the teleplay.[3]

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

porp and i went to a euchre meetup in Chicago and it was moderately fun but the crowd was much older which made forming new friendships more of a challenge

idk what are you into

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    visiblehowl looks like it's mostly useful for wireless connections but idk maybe it will be useful to you

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/info_burst_loss.html

Okay, I ran this, and there are some bad things, but I don't know what to do about them or if they're even correctable?

Do you suppose I can post the results link here, or does it contain critical info I need to keep secure?

vRyue2p.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017

You're coming out ahead

Malaria netting is pretty efficient, but I think schistosomiasis treatment beats it. Schistosomiasis treatment costs about $2 per person per year, for a disease with a mortality rate of approximately 1 death per 1,000 carriers per year. (Anti-schistosomiasis drugs also have a secondary prophylactic effect against malaria and HIV.)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The Schistosomiasis Control Initiative spends about 40% of its annual budget on drug distribution.

If you had a trust fund with an annual return of $6250, that's enough to donate $5k to SCI and have 20% for capital gains tax. You can get that by putting $500k in a CD with an interest rate of 1.25%.

Push the button once, set up an anti-schistosomiasis fund, spend the rest on hookers and pizza rolls.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

"Button, Button" was first published in Playboy, June 1970, a short story written by Richard Matheson. The story was republished as part of a collection of Matheson's short stories.

In the original short story, the plot is resolved differently. Norma presses the button, and receives the money—after her husband dies in a train incident where Arthur is pushed onto the tracks (the money was the no-fault insurance settlement, which is $50,000 instead of the $200,000 in the Twilight Zone episode). A despondent Norma asks the stranger why her husband was the one who was killed. The stranger replies, "Did you really think you knew your husband?"

Matheson strongly disapproved of the Twilight Zone version, especially the new ending, and used his pseudonym Logan Swanson for the teleplay.[3]

Logan... Swanson? Really?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    visiblehowl looks like it's mostly useful for wireless connections but idk maybe it will be useful to you

Okay, I ran this, and there are some bad things, but I don't know what to do about them or if they're even correctable?

Do you suppose I can post the results link here, or does it contain critical info I need to keep secure?

oh boy idk

um, who does network stuff, @ludious ?

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Define "bad things" or post the link.

Edit: that came out shitty. I can take a look for ya though.

jungleroomx on
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

boom

Also yes

Well, that and the rape and death.

I go hard in the paint.

Interpret that as you will.

i should prob go home soon

my stomach is growling at me yet i already ate two meals today this is bullshit

I'm more interested in knowing:
    How many people get the opportunity to press that button or identical buttons.
    How many presses each person is allowed.
    Where does the money come from?

This changes it from a trolley problem into a game theory problem.

porp and i went to a euchre meetup in Chicago and it was moderately fun but the crowd was much older which made forming new friendships more of a challenge

idk what are you into

sitting on the couch and watching house

C8Ft8GE.jpg

I would totally approve of that twist if only the genie went "honestly, this is your fault for not asking me to define the terms, have you never met a genie before or what"

ftOqU21.png
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

oh boy idk

um, who does network stuff, ludious ?

Here's the summary of "noteworthy events" for what that's worth:

Chjk9z9.png

vRyue2p.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Feral wrote: »

If anyone besides me gets to press the button I'm inventing a machine which presses it seven billion times.

All games reduce to global thermonuclear war.

Feral wrote: »

what if there's no button no one dies and we give everyone a million dollars

we're all millionaires yayyyyy

This discussion has been closed.