As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat]ing from home

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I am a net tech by trade! You can ask me things!

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    ok i can't ignore this hunger anymore time to go home and smash

and also eat i guess

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    I mean, IPv6 is fine. It's just... it's supposed to be for things directly connected to the internet, handed an address by via DHCP. No, IT, you don't have to IP everything internally with IPv6, stick to v4 for the private network.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Also I appreciate all the IT guys coming out of the woodwork to show off their knowledge after my problem is solved.

But I make one post that shows I don't know about UPSes...

vRyue2p.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

and also eat i guess

https://youtu.be/zpOULjyy-n8

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    @jungleroomx is exempt from my previous post.

Also @BeNarwhal and @Sir Landshark but I don't think they count as "IT guys", which honestly just proves my point further...

vRyue2p.png
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I mean, IPv6 is fine. It's just... it's supposed to be for things directly connected to the internet, handed an address by via DHCP. No, IT, you don't have to IP everything internally with IPv6, stick to v4 for the private network.

I mean... giving everything their own unique IP and not having to do NAT anymore is kind of the point of V6

it just isn't ever going to happen becuase
    • people still think NAT is a security technology
    • ain't nobody wants to remember a v6 address

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    RDPing into the DC just for a screenshot: inadvisable, but worth it

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Mmm.

I am good at banana bread.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Wait it all worked out anyway alright go team yeah Narwhal was totally involved

hey, 3rd stringers get championship rings too!

I already solved one networking issue today, which is like 1000% more than I am paid to solve, and like 10000% more helpful than I usually am, so

who's paying you to solve a tenth of a networking issue every day?

I keep getting paid every month and honestly no one has really made the terms of the arrangement totally clear to me, so sometimes I have to come up with my own guidelines and projects.

February is "staring out the window while sipping cocoa contemplatively" month. I've already racked up a couple hundred hours!

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Just a side note: IPv6 is absolutely necessary in Windows Server environments.

This isn't relevant to VH, of course.

*logs into domain controller*

3L0FfVl.png

Yeah, you can turn off the IPv6 checkbox and it (probably) won't cause your network to implode, but certain Windows features won't work at all without IPv6 (DirectAccess for example). Other Windows technologies will work but will have weird flaky problems that are hard to pin down (Active Directory and Exchange being the big ones).

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    I thiiiink I want to continue designing my prison this evening

I'm talking about a video game, to be clear

And I think that's the one I want to play tonight

Though I am also open to Barotrauma invites, because I am terrible at it and enjoy being terrible at it

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Also I appreciate all the IT guys coming out of the woodwork to show off their knowledge after my problem is solved.

Honestly, diagnosing dropped traffic on a home Internet connection is hard enough in person, let alone over a forum. Most of the time there's no clear evidence pointing to a single culprit.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Honestly, diagnosing dropped traffic on a home Internet connection is hard enough in person, let alone over a forum. Most of the time there's no clear evidence pointing to a single culprit.

I mean that never stops the legal system, why should it stop you?

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Noooo Drew Scanlon is leaving Giantbomb.

Giantbomb is slowly dissolving. Stop it Giantbomb, I loved you.

GBEast is still great at least with Vinny/Dan/Alex

Im not one to spell doom and gloom but man the west coast crew is totally fucked.

As one who cant stand Rorie and Jason is so hit or miss.

I would not want to be either of the new hires

This was mostly a reference to getting shit on for the UPS thing, I know remote tech support on network issues is awful.

vRyue2p.png
  • Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular

I already solved one networking issue* today, which is like 1000% more than I am paid to solve, and like 10000% more helpful than I usually am, so

*Temporarily

Trying something else. If that doesn't work, then I'm just start killin' network techs in the Lincoln, Nebraska area until it fixes itself

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I don't have a new girlfriend, and haven't dated at all in 2017. Brothers, I think we need solidarity. Either I get a new girlfriend, or none of us get a girlfriend. Let us struggle as a collective.

You want me to be single again damn ok

I wish there was another way, but my hands are tied.

@elki wanna kill rats tonight since you're forever alone I know the answer is yes

I already solved one networking issue* today, which is like 1000% more than I am paid to solve, and like 10000% more helpful than I usually am, so

*Temporarily

Trying something else. If that doesn't work, then I'm just start killin' network techs in the Lincoln, Nebraska area until it fixes itself

That's definitely the next step on the flowchart, good on you for being thorough

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Man I am really digging the aesthetic of Shadowrun Hong Kong. Great visual design on the new locales and really good music.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

and also eat i guess

See now this guy has an excuse to not kill rats

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Noooo Drew Scanlon is leaving Giantbomb.

Giantbomb is slowly dissolving. Stop it Giantbomb, I loved you.

GBEast is still great at least with Vinny/Dan/Alex

Im not one to spell doom and gloom but man the west coast crew is totally fucked.

As one who cant stand Rorie and Jason is so hit or miss.

I would not want to be either of the new hires

West has been feeling pretty weak without another strong personality to bounce off Jeff. Ranking of Fighters is still a solid Jeff and Jason joint, but I generally skip anything that's Brad or Rorie heavy.

Their new hires have some big shoes to fill, for sure, and West needs someone with energy.

Also I keep having dreams about drinking again and they are once again supremely upsetting

Very frustrating, and then I gotta, like, realign myself with reality when I wake up

The main problem is that the common symptoms of being in a dream (sluggish movement, unclear vision, confusion, gaps in time) are very similar to being astoundingly drunk, so my brain is unfortunately intimately familiar

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    cb is that fkin midha's reckoning in your av

he's so bitter we lied to him about the recoil pattern

idk if we even lied so much as didn't give a shit
    Midha's Reckoning was one of those low key great FR's that required some real skill to utilize properly. Besides the perfect recoil stat, it was one of the very few FR's that came with barrel mods, which basically allowed to hit as nearly as hard as the Hitchhiker FR4 while still retaining the faster charge rate of a Vacancy. The main drawback, as you pointed out, was that the stability was total butts, but that was less of an issue if you had good thumbskill for manually controlling the recoil - since the recoil direction was perfectly vertical (again, due to barrel mods), all it took was some downward pressure to get a really nice tight burst.
    @Sir Landshark @Chanus

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Just a side note: IPv6 is absolutely necessary in Windows Server environments.

This isn't relevant to VH, of course.

*logs into domain controller*

3L0FfVl.png

Yeah, you can turn off the IPv6 checkbox and it (probably) won't cause your network to implode, but certain Windows features won't work at all without IPv6 (DirectAccess for example). Other Windows technologies will work but will have weird flaky problems that are hard to pin down (Active Directory and Exchange being the big ones).

Yeah.

For home users, though, shut that shit down.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    (tbh since we've established that I Was Right I actually am not bitter about it, but I can always use a new bit)

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I don't have a new girlfriend, and haven't dated at all in 2017. Brothers, I think we need solidarity. Either I get a new girlfriend, or none of us get a girlfriend. Let us struggle as a collective.

You want me to be single again damn ok

I wish there was another way, but my hands are tied.

@elki wanna kill rats tonight since you're forever alone I know the answer is yes

@OnTheLastCastle omg, hateful. Get Shark on, I'm gonna watch TV for a bit and then I'll be ready.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    has anyone actually gone to meetups

what are some ones that would actually be fun, i don't even know what to search for. I'm not drinking!

I went to a D&D meetup at the public library starting in 2008 and met several good friends that way

I've also gone to some political ones that were fun although we don't really have a recurring one near me for me to go to (or at least we didn't back when I could drive)

I would look for

- casual boardgaming stuff
    - trivia nights (even if you aren't drinking wingz exist...)
    - mini-golf, driving range trips, softball or kickball league
    - politics 'n' activism or community servicey things (knit scarves for cancer or something)
    - gallery openings/book signings (i dunno if there are like MEETUPS for this but there are mailing lists and little groups and things for it)
    - exercise groups? I know some people do like marathon training meetups to hold each other accountable in case someone has a sudden attack of sanity
    - knitting circle or crossstitch (I know knitting fad is like 10 years old now but I know several folks into making crossstitch memes)
    - low pressure quasi religion/community center things like hangouts at the unitarian temple or something

those are all things that I have seen and am vaguely aware of anyway

@y2jake215

rRwz9.gif
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    @Orphane I am pleased you linked to Submergio Viol from the sunless sea soundtrack earlier. Aersien can attest that he has been plagued by my vocal renditions of that song for like...weeks now. Not even sure if it's because it's catchy or because the iron republic is just that cool.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

@visiblehowl your problem is solved?!?

??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

rRwz9.gif
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Rewatching Force Awakens

The motivation behind Finn is hilariously thin on second watch; he's put off by violence and horror in the village and then he kills like 30 people, people he's presumably lived and worked with for years, in as many seconds to escape because ???

Oh star wars

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Rewatching Force Awakens

The motivation behind Finn is hilariously thin on second watch; he's put off by violence and horror in the village and then he kills like 30 people, people he's presumably lived and worked with for years, in as many seconds to escape because ???

Oh star wars
    if they have their helmets on it doesn't count as killing

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    Rewatching Force Awakens

Oh star wars

establishing motivation has never been Star Wars's strong suit

good guys are good guys and bad guys are bad guys

don't ask too many questions

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    So, one of our projects at work has the nearly-ubiquitous designator of "Phoenix" (really, if you've worked in a corporate monolith for a while, you'll eventually have at least one project called "Phoenix"). It is abbreviated as PNX. We've taken to calling it "Pee-nix", with the conversations you might expect for something that sounds like "Penis". "That's a big PNX." "Too many PNXes in this sheet." "Are you sure you have enough PNX?"

:D

Yes, we're 12.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    it's not murder if it's a stormtrooper

by donning the mask they become a part of a Greater Evil, their individual humanity lost

I still haven't seen TFA.

Please note that this isn't a call to spoiler stuff - I don't care enough -, you just reminded me that I ought to watch it at some point.

This discussion has been closed.