As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [chat] Who Circumnavigated Fairyland

• AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    I haven't visited the forums for awhile, but for some reason I did last night in my dream.

@Angel_of_Bacon sheepishly admitted that the reason for his recent passive-aggressive posts was "locker room problems"

• Meanwhile real-life Angel_of_Bacon asks what is a 'locker room problem', and why would I be having them when I haven't been in a locker room in like 18 years?

During my dream I interpreted the phrase as a colloquialism for "problems at home", but after waking up it didn't make sense anymore. You were very somber.

We all have locker room problems

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wait, how did you know it was somber. Was the forum a bunch of audio clips where you could in fact hear our voices as you scrolled past a post?

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    how are you supposed to draw stubble. I downloaded a bunch of images off a barbershop site and it's a very common thing

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Glue actual stubble (yours, or get a friend!) to the page.

Also, the next Watts skill builder is a self portrait...well, time to make myself look like a potato. If anyone asks, it will be an ES:Oblivion portrait!

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    edited February 2017
    Iruka wrote: »
    Wait, how did you know it was somber. Was the forum a bunch of audio clips where you could in fact hear our voices as you scrolled past a post?

Nah, normal forums. Emotions don't play by the rules in dreamland.

It kind of played out like a scene in a film, as dreams do. There may have been music. A pivotal scene, but it didn't go anywhere.

Agentflit on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    [DELETED]

NightDragon on
    @Jars , You either have a brush that helps you cheat the texture, or you do what you have to and you draw the stubble exactly the way you think you would have to, which is hair by hair. Its not as slow as it sounds, in the grand scheme of painting, but hair (and rendering in general) takes time.

@ND you looking for the doodle thread...?

............WHOOPS

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited February 2017
    Agentflit wrote: »
    During my dream I interpreted the phrase as a colloquialism for "problems at home", but after waking up it didn't make sense anymore. You were very somber.

What kinda crazy home do I have that has a locker room in it??

Jars wrote: »
    how are you supposed to draw stubble. I downloaded a bunch of images off a barbershop site and it's a very common thing

You know, this kinda of question is hard to respond to because it's going to depend on style, medium, type of stubble, lighting, distance from camera/size on paper, etc.- so it's both hard to say anything useful about as a general problem, and one that tends to solve itself once you actually determine all those things, look up ref for other people solving the same problem in the same style.

If you want a general semi-realistic solution, you're usually looking at indicating the stubble area with a broad light tone, without getting into delineating a bunch of hairs individually, which can create too much contrast and end up losing the overall form of the face.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    Maybe your home is frequented by naked old men, that walk around talking about unimportant issues, while you try to just get your work done without making eye to eye or eye to junk contact.

Do any of you draw at a standing desk?

• bebarce wrote: »
    Maybe your home is frequented by naked old men, that walk around talking about unimportant issues, while you try to just get your work done without making eye to eye or eye to junk contact.

Look I'm not THAT old, and I find that avoiding mirrors is not that difficult.
    Do any of you draw at a standing desk?

I have a standing desk, but haven't really tried drawing from a standing position because I think it might be a pain without some easel/ergoarm setup to get the drawing surface in a comfy position. I can try it out for the sake of scientific experimentation and see how it goes if you want though.

My boyfriend strands to draw, but out of absolute necessity, his lower back has gone out enough that he has trouble sitting for long periods. He uses is cintiq with the normal stand, but I have an ergotron arm. I'm just wondering if the combination of the two would be too difficult to use.

I'm thinking about an adjustable desk because I'm starting to hit critical levels of sitting all the time.

• Hmm, I've got an ergoarm on my non-standing desk at work, and no ergoarm at my standing desk at home (I just have a 12" Cintiq here so it just sits in my lap), so I can't really talk about how well that combo works from personal experience. You might want to ask a favor of your BF and try our his setup/clamp on your ergoarm Cintiq on his desk for a few hours and see if it's workable for you.
    I don't see why it wouldn't be, since those things are pretty steady- and if using the standard stand is ok, I can't imagine using the arm would be any worse.

Also the only person I knew personally who used that precise setup later left the art biz to become a bodybuilder/personal trainer- I don't think that's a related thing, but there's a non-zero possibility that you have to be totally ripped/will become totally ripped using that setup. :P

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    You need a good neutral standing pose. Standing plus leaning is a really bad combo for long periods of time. You're better off sitting for art if it requires leaning. Also want to think about limb extension. If you're standing straight properly, but you have to float your elbow out to get broad strokes, then you're going to have pain as well.

I'm sure its totally doable, but you just have to be careful with the ergonomics.

I just started lifting at the gym so maybe its just a natural progression to getting completely shredded. I'll just start benchpressing while drawing.

Honestly, I will be mostly standing while doing my day job which is normal office stuff, maybe the answer is to just not stand and paint, but it seems like a good option if I can make it work for both. I had to drill a hole into my desk to make the arm work, so it feels like a commitment to install my tablet. I dont want to drill a hole in my new 400 desk and then be like "ah, nevermind, this is stupid"

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    My first goal of getting back into arting was to put pencil to paper every day (at least 5 days a week so I don't feel bad if I miss) and the second one is to spend more time in here. Maybe make myself a thread eventually, I'm a designer these days so most of my stuff leans on that rather than straight up art/concept/illustration stuff.

Hello AC, it's been a while.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Hey doodmann welcome back! I encourage you to cross post your stuff into your own thread even if you plan to use the doodle thread, The accumulation of work makes for easy reference when giving critiques. You might not always get a comment immediately, but it does become useful after a while.

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Hey y'all, got a news pop-up when I launched CSP today - Clip Studio Paint Pro (the program formerly known as Manga Studio) is on sale for 50% off until Monday the 27th, only $25.

87 bucks for EX aint half bad either.

For anyone here into comics, It think clip paint makes managing a book much, much easier, just through navigation. My only quarrel with Clip Studio is shitty selection tools, really.

edited February 2017
    Agentflit wrote: »

What kinda crazy home do I have that has a locker room in it??

Well, "locker room problems" was more like a saying where everyone knows what it means, but almost nobody is aware of the original literal meaning. Like, "the whole nine yards" or "give the cold shoulder". So you'd use this saying as a way of admitting something like "my wife left me" or "my cat died" without actually adressing it, and other people might nod knowingly.

But I like your version better.

Agentflit on
    edited February 2017
    In other news, Lasagna Cat is back and I feel zest for life again

Oh my god there are twelve of them, here are a couple

There is also over four hours of meticulously edited phone messages

I hope I am not the only one who remembers lasagna cat, this is the toppest tier

Agentflit on
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Hi guys does anyone have any good tutorials for designing environment concepts
    I am so bad at this

Peas wrote: »
    Hi guys does anyone have any good tutorials for designing environment concepts
    I am so bad at this

Not sure if you're struggling with ideation or the actual creation phase, but I found a handful of articles and videos...hopefully some of these are helpful!

This is more overall concept art + drawing tips, but it might be helpful:
    http://www.momenta.online/2016/01/ten-tips-for-becoming-a-better-concept-artist-2/

This has some good questions you can ask yourself in the ideation process, under "Design Thinking":
    http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/learning-to-draw-game-environments/

Feng Zhu has a handful of videos, here's one where you can watch him thumbnail and discuss some of his professional process:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmff8bBCYW4

These have garbage-quality audio, they're pretty nice videos from James Paick:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7x4UD2pfd4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl9Ra4pwgJ0

A 30 minute demo/explanation video on Environment Design from Naughty Dog's Aaron Limonick:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9RBe5Ie12c

edited February 2017
    Turns out I had a backup jacket that I got from work.
    Emboldened by having this fallback and the fact that so much of this stuff is suspiciously cheap, I've sprung for some of this overseas stuff in the hopes that any of it fits and actually looks alright on my dumb body and hopefully doesn't dissolve upon contact with air or something. Hopefully I've struck a decent balance between "this looks too crazy to wear outside of cosplay circumstances" and "this is boring as shit" (I'm probably looking in the wrong places, but skimming amazon and the mall, it seems that normal American men's coats fall into one of the three categories of "hard blue-collar workin' man/hunter", "Serious Business Man", and "Sports Fan", none of which are things I aspire to or find particularly interesting).

Closing the loop on this conversation: all these packages arrived this week, so behold the stuff I got and how I manage to make stuff that looked very stylish and cool when professionally photographed on slender mannequins seem extremely boring, via my all-consuming boring-dumpy-dude-aura.
    This looks ok? I think?
    clothes004.JPG
    I just can't zip it up, or it's like the shirt is giving birth to my head.
    clothes005.JPG

I have a white one of these, now I've got a black one too.
    clothes006.JPG

This fine. Probably.
    clothes007.JPG

Coat number 1. I think it's pretty alright.
    clothes009.JPG
    clothes011.JPG

Coat number 2. I think it WOULD be alright...
    clothes012.JPG
    ...if I could lift my arms beyond this position in it. I expect that return shipping this to get a larger size would cost more than the coat did to start with, so this may be going to Goodwill or a friend with a smaller torso than I.
    clothes013.JPG

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Man, I really want to get a new car. A minivan, lame as it may be.

Man, I really want to get a new car. A minivan, lame as it may be.

You're such a ...............dad.

Turns out I had a backup jacket that I got from work.
    Emboldened by having this fallback and the fact that so much of this stuff is suspiciously cheap, I've sprung for some of this overseas stuff in the hopes that any of it fits and actually looks alright on my dumb body and hopefully doesn't dissolve upon contact with air or something. Hopefully I've struck a decent balance between "this looks too crazy to wear outside of cosplay circumstances" and "this is boring as shit" (I'm probably looking in the wrong places, but skimming amazon and the mall, it seems that normal American men's coats fall into one of the three categories of "hard blue-collar workin' man/hunter", "Serious Business Man", and "Sports Fan", none of which are things I aspire to or find particularly interesting).

Closing the loop on this conversation: all these packages arrived this week, so behold the stuff I got and how I manage to make stuff that looked very stylish and cool when professionally photographed on slender mannequins seem extremely boring, via my all-consuming boring-dumpy-dude-aura.
    This looks ok? I think?
    clothes004.JPG
    I just can't zip it up, or it's like the shirt is giving birth to my head.
    clothes005.JPG

I have a white one of these, now I've got a black one too.
    clothes006.JPG

This fine. Probably.
    clothes007.JPG

Coat number 1. I think it's pretty alright.
    clothes009.JPG
    clothes011.JPG

Coat number 2. I think it WOULD be alright...
    clothes012.JPG
    ...if I could lift my arms beyond this position in it. I expect that return shipping this to get a larger size would cost more than the coat did to start with, so this may be going to Goodwill or a friend with a smaller torso than I.
    clothes013.JPG

Are...are you the anime now?

I like them! If I didnt know that jacket would be too big for me, I'd take it from you haha.

I like the way the collar looks on the white one when its zipped up, despite it maybe looking like its choking you out. It looks warm, at least! A cozy strangulation.

I have a love affair with coats that I cannot pursue in Texas, because its hot as fuck. Some fancy sweatshirts would be nice for the winter, though

• gavindel wrote: »

Are...are you the anime now?

Nah there are still a few steps to go before my master plan comes together
    shitanime.gif
    If I didnt know that jacket would be too big for me, I'd take it from you haha.

I like the way the collar looks on the white one when its zipped up, despite it maybe looking like its choking you out. It looks warm, at least! A cozy strangulation.

You sure you don't want it? Being a little too big is probably a better problem to have than being way too small.

And the white one is quite warm, but beyond the strangulation thing I probably won't wear it zipped up because it makes it very obvious where the fake, 'this is 2 layers thus 2 zippers lol jk' seam is- so I've got a 6 inch puffy/too warm stripe down the middle of my torso, which makes for an odd look. It probably works fine on the slender Asian pop star physique that it's designed for, not so much on me.

...PM me its size.

I spent a good 20 minutes after seeing your post reminding myself I dont need another hoodie, so I didnt start shopping.

I do need to slowly wade into buying some workout clothes, and you want to talk about obnoxious. Work out fashion has gone off the rails.

• Yes I totally agree with the workout clothes thing because those are a thing that I buy and are familiar with what with my working out all the time and everything.

I am totally posting from a treadbenchpressermill and definitely not slumped in my chair in front of my computer spreading raspberry preserves onto a piece of Ghiradelli 86% dark chocolate*, haha!

*seriously this is so good you guys

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    alright all finished, looks good. better not draw anything ever again

• I'm trying to put together a personal ref directory of art that has really dynamic/actiony poses- something that I feel I'm not that great at- and could use suggestions for artists/artwork I should be looking at.

Right now I've got a lot of Frazetta, Jack Kirby, Jepser Ejsing, and a lot of animation stills from the Frame by Frame blog. Stuff with extreme foreshortening/exaggerated perspective would be a bonus, I always feel I never quite pull that sort of thing off effectively (might just have to resort to screencapping some of the crazier animes out there myself to get what I'm talking about with that though.)

Any suggestions?

I'm trying to put together a personal ref directory of art that has really dynamic/actiony poses- something that I feel I'm not that great at- and could use suggestions for artists/artwork I should be looking at.

Right now I've got a lot of Frazetta, Jack Kirby, Jepser Ejsing, and a lot of animation stills from the Frame by Frame blog. Stuff with extreme foreshortening/exaggerated perspective would be a bonus, I always feel I never quite pull that sort of thing off effectively (might just have to resort to screencapping some of the crazier animes out there myself to get what I'm talking about with that though.)

Any suggestions?

I'm not really a comic book person, but I feel like you could find some great foreshortening ref in those, especially the "super hero" versions.
    bda923a1a13e75098b3ef6277872893c.jpg

I've always liked that old batman animated cartoon that had the character designs from Bruce Timm. Maybe check out his work as well but be on the look out for Google giving you 1,000 NSFW images because WOAHOHOHO he's apparently super into that.
    strangedaysstoryboard2.jpg
    Diana-Trevor-Fight.jpg
    tumblr_o60elxIwmA1tp6rxbo1_1280.jpg

Alternatively:
    spiderman_by_erickuns-d4u6l36.jpg

edited February 2017
    spiderman_by_erickuns-d4u6l36.jpg
    Perfect. :^:
    [I've always liked that old batman animated cartoon that had the character designs from Bruce Timm. Maybe check out his work as well but be on the look out for Google giving you 1,000 NSFW images because WOAHOHOHO he's apparently super into that.

This being more or the exact same amount of objectionable as the previously mentioned Frazetta, who apparently had no use for any piece of clothing that could not be also be used as dental floss?

And you're right that comic books probably are a great resource, I just don't know enough about names/titles to know who/what I should be looking at for this particular thing.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2017
    Are you looking for inspiration for the exaggeration and stylization of the poses, or just reference in general? A lot of the japanese/anime artists with good poses seem to recommend getting your hands on a few of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Hyper-Angle-Vol-2-Shape-Collection/dp/4420310472/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WHQGBY8KJX122M1KPXTQ

There's another brand too, I dont remember the name but looking around for "japanese pose book" tends to pull up a variety. I still find the occasional good stock photo over deviant art too. Many of the photos you find are a bit poorly lit, but unlike the life drawing resources they tend to be very creative with poses.

You might find some new artists looking through the "pose" boards in the character design pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/characterdesigh/character-pose-walk-run/

Iruka on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Since I'm going to be using a lot of black in my current project I need a fat felt marker. Does anyone know what brands black will most closely match the micron's I'm using for line work? Sharpie is distinctly more blue so but I don't want to just start buying brands since large markers are kind of pricey.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay