As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Return Of The Jeed

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Return Of The Jeed

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Orion GuardianOrion Guardian Registered User new member
    Just for an interesting fact:

The german translation "Die letzten Jedi" uses "die Jedi" which is plural. As there is no gender or number specified in "the" looking to the language that does have those attributes helps ;)

So, to sum it up, there are at least 2 Jedi involved, who are the last ;) (or a hundred :P)

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Man I hope it refers to like, Rey and Luke as the last Jedi. I'm going to be displeased if they try some redemption junk for Kylo Ren.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    Spoiler: The last Jedi is Luke.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    It's also "Les Derniers Jedi" in French which is in the plural

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Disney has already confirmed that the title is meant to be plural.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    Aren't all living Jedi technically the 'last'?

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the last Jedi is Daniel Day Lewis

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Aren't all living Jedi technically the 'last'?

Yes? The point is that the remaining Jedi will be it and there would be no more Jedi.

That's literally what the title is saying.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    The last jedi

jaxxon.jpg

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Just because there (allegedly) won't be any more Jedi doesn't necessarily mean there can't be any new Force practitioners who carry lightsabers but technically aren't Jedi.

lj4sTEW.jpg

lAt59iP.jpg

Yeah, I know the EU's out and they won't bring back these guys specifically, but maybe at the end of the movie, Luke reforms the entire order and declares the "Jedi" ended, and that from that point onwards they'll be known as the "Lukies".

SabreMau on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The Jedi are dead. Long live the Jedi.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Just for an interesting fact:

The german translation "Die letzten Jedi" uses "die Jedi" which is plural. As there is no gender or number specified in "the" looking to the language that does have those attributes helps ;)

So, to sum it up, there are at least 2 Jedi involved, who are the last ;) (or a hundred :P)

So it could be a whole bag of Jedi M&Ms?

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Yeah, I know the EU's out and they won't bring back these guys specifically, but maybe at the end of the movie, Luke reforms the entire order and declares the "Jedi" ended, and that from that point onwards they'll be known as the "Lukies".

The Jedi order is kind of shitty anyway, at least on its own. There needs to be some sort of middle ground between monastic self-denial and turning evil.

• angryroosterangryrooster Registered User regular
    Actually, it doesn't even mean that they are the "last Jedi there ever will be", it could simply mean that they are the "last ones left in the universe". Similar to how at a party one might lay claim to "the last chicken wings". They are not saying there will never be more chicken wings, merely that at present, there are a finite number of chicken wings, and they are going to eat them. Or how an army could have a "last stand", or a "last operational tank", either of which could be followed by additional "stands" and "tanks" later on.

Unless any of the languages the title has been translated to makes some distinction between "last for now " vs "last ever".

• MoganMogan Registered User regular
    Luke trains Rey, Luke dies, Rey is the last Jedi.
    I don't feel like this is all that mysterious.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Actually, it doesn't even mean that they are the "last Jedi there ever will be", it could simply mean that they are the "last ones left in the universe". Similar to how at a party one might lay claim to "the last chicken wings". They are not saying there will never be more chicken wings, merely that at present, there are a finite number of chicken wings, and they are going to eat them. Or how an army could have a "last stand", or a "last operational tank", either of which could be followed by additional "stands" and "tanks" later on.

Unless any of the languages the title has been translated to makes some distinction between "last for now " vs "last ever".

It's still different. In the chicken wing scenario it's an assumption that you are saying the last chicken wings here. But saying that isn't necessary as it would not be needed for clarity. I think?

Like it would be really weird to say "we're the last humans" while referencing all humans on the planet that are still reproducing.

• K.MI.K.C.K.MI.K.C. Registered User regular
    Maybe it's supposed to be a verb. Like: "What are they doing?" "Oh, they just be jediing."
    Or it refers to the worst graduate of a class. Or the slowest in a race.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Or a Jedi shoemaker

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Orion GuardianOrion Guardian Registered User new member
    "So it could be a whole bag of Jedi M&Ms?"

Yes that could very well be.

And about the "Last" dichtinomy: In "Return of the Jedi" it was kinda implied that there were none, and then they came back. So technically the "Last Jedi" would be the last before new ones come back.

But perhaps not. Because the term "Jedi" references members of an order, and if that order or at least the philosophy ceases to exist...I mean is Luke a real Jedi? He was never approoved by the council (yes he was trained by Yoda....for a while and Obi Wans Ghost) but he is no formal Jedi, so even training Rey would not make her a Jedi...

And, seeing some scenes from the original Trilogy: Luke is not the foremost example of Jeid behaviour either)

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    This strip bugs me a little because it feels forced to fit the format. If anything, Gabe has been shown to be the bigger SW fanboy and is surely familiar with the proper plural and usage of "Jedi".

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2017
    The joke isnt that he doesn't know Star Wars, it's that he doesn't English good.

Tube on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

The Jedi order is kind of shitty anyway, at least on its own. There needs to be some sort of middle ground between monastic self-denial and turning evil.

There was and his name was Kyle Katarn

I miss him so

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Mogan wrote: »
    Luke trains Rey, Luke dies, Rey is the last Jedi.
    I don't feel like this is all that mysterious.

I feel like that if there were any plans to kill off Luke, those probably changed when Carrie Fisher died.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

I agree that the Jedi order has its problems, particularly during the Republic with their ill-defined level of authority, but...
    In a setting where emotions (or passionless focus) can grant phenomenal cosmic power, detachment seems like a pretty good idea. Like, people knock the Space Marines for being all chaste and stuff, but when sleeping around makes evil sex gods show up, it may not be a bad idea to keep it in your pants. In your power armor. What were we talking about?

• wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    Would be funny if all the force users got together, probably have to kill Snoke, and then agree that the whole Jedi/Sith thing is just stupid and disband everything.

I liked how some of the video games, KOTOR and Jedi Knight for example, gave you a lot of gray area between Jedi and Sith.

• lopalop2lopalop2 Registered User new member
    Google "Gray jedi"

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    lopalop2 wrote: »
    Google "Gray jedi"

I don't get your point. I had already assumed that fan fiction was out there.

Out, wait. I think I missed a letter.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Return of the JEEEEEEEEEEEEED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGj8B4tLK-g

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I don't even need to play that clip. Such a good bit.