As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Same but different [Chat]

ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
I re-watched The Graduate recently and I was struck with the comparison of it's intro sequence with Jackie Brown's. If you look at both scenes from a script perspective, the scripting for both would be very similar.
Main Character stands on moving walkway, looking ahead. They say nothing.

https://youtu.be/XmAHbDSf4jQ

https://youtu.be/KKQWn-UBDTo

Both have the main character on a moving walkway in an airport. Jackie Brown and Benjamin Braddock are both rather passive in terms of action. And yet Jackie is focused ahead. No distractions for her. Benjamin Braddock is looking around at the world as it passes him by. So with the actors choices we immediately can see a difference in terms of their characters. Jackie may be passive but she's waiting for something. And when we transition into the later part of the intro for Jackie we see her running. Developing a sense of urgency. The following scene with The Graduate reinforces Benjamin Braddock's passivity, his only actions that of someone trying to push people away. We see him at a party trying to escape while being bounced from person to person.

This is underscored by the soundtrack used here. Sound of Silence in the words of Garfunkel is about the "the inability of people to communicate with each other, not particularly internationally but especially emotionally, so what you see around you are people unable to love each other." which underscores the film's sense of alienation perfectly. This is compounded by some other sound choices. You can hear the airport announcements in the background but the soundtrack garbles them. It builds om that sense of alienation in the scene because that human touch is muffled and can't be understood. Across 110th Street is has a dark tone but carries much greater vibrancy. Jackie Brown's world is much more alive. And when Jackie talks to the security guard, the soundtrack gets a little quieter. We can see and hear her interaction with the world around her.

And the vibrancy extends into the set aspects as well. The Graduate opens with the shot of him on the plane. White headrest and Benjamin Braddock's head. Then we pull back into 70's beige. Our next cut has Benjamin Braddoc in a white hallway. With the soundtrack choice, it gives a sense of being in purgatory. He is moving but nothing really changes. Contrasting with that with the color of the walls in Jackie Brown. It's a dated, 70's color scheme but like the soundtrack it has a certain amount of vibrancy. And the changes in the colors give us a sense of moving forward and change in the world. It doesn't give us the sense of someone on a journey.

One of the things I find really interesting is the use of motion from right to left rather than having them move left to right. For Jackie Brown all of the above differences gives us a sense she's moving upstream. Fighting against the current. So even though she's standing there doing nothing, we're given a sense of agency about her. But in The Graduate, we get that sense of alienation and passivity. To the point where The Graduate has people passing and moving past Benjamin.

And the last difference with the walkway is the way the camera views the actor. With Jackie brown we have her almost in profile. The audience is moving along with her. We are her equals. The Graduate gives us a slightly more three quarters view of Benjamin. it gives us a sense of being slightly ahead of him. It isolates us from him, increasing the sense of alienation.

So from a script perspective, very similar scenes. But every choice in the scene gives us a very different sense of what is to follow.

Edit: Given that Tarantino directed Jackie Brown, I doubt this is an accident.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    HELLO BC HOW ARE YOU

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    cash me outside is the worst meme i've seen in my long career

I've only seen oblique references

also that purple bird?

I'm getting old and out of touch, Tav.

This is one of those "you have to click the pictures" tweets to get the full story.

Apparently known as "Trash dove"

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    tyrannus pls no yelling im trying to work

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    As I get older I find my tastes have changed from when I was a kid. I used to hate brussels sprouts but now I love the shit out of them.

*shrug*

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Hufflepuffs are welcome here

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Natalie Dormer is in Mass Effect:Andromeda.
    omg

On the one hand, Natalie's voice is like having liquid sex poured into one's ear, on the other hand she's playing an asari, and blue head tenticles just don't do it for me.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    The episode gave him a lasting hatred of asses and a willingness to see them destroyed in his honour.

Contextless wikipedia

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    i am feeling very sad for america and americans right now

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    @TTODewback I saw that! Is she

Is she

a romance option

._.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    tyrannus pls no yelling im trying to work

*inhales sharply*

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    What's "cash me outside"

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    As I get older I find my tastes have changed from when I was a kid. I used to hate brussels sprouts but now I love the shit out of them.

*shrug*

All depends on the preparation. If you don't do anything to mitigate or remove the inherent bitterness of the leaves, they can be some of the nastiest veggies you ever encounter, or some amazing little balls of cabbage love.

No matter what though, the smell of cooked sprouts is a weapon of war.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

what happened now

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Look everyone knows if something becomes an internet meme it's public domain.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Is she

a romance option

._.

I hope so.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Damage report!

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    What's "cash me outside"

it will not enrich your life to know

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    *immediately fights all Hufflepuffs*

Hufflepuffs are a type of Heffalump, right

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Thomas Jane is a fun actor to watch (he’s just a little more intense than a normal person, like Nicolas Cage on decent but not wholly effective tranquilizers)

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Runs to Dew's post history to see who he's banging now. Is instead distracted by caffeine.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

Is she

a romance option

._.

maybe? i dunno. she seems to be kind of like kelly/samantha/presley

Renly is in the game too

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Any story or exchange that require ms digging through tweets makes me mad on principle

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    *immediately fights all Hufflepuffs*

Hufflepuffs are a type of Heffalump, right

In that case Gryffindor are Woozles

Look at all the Woozles Harry hangs out with

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Runs to Dew's post history to see who he's banging now. Is instead distracted by caffeine.

Dew has a Becky smash?

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    If you're playing Code Names and you get the clue "ground", the proper card to select is NOT "fly, because you fly away from the ground" >:O

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    TTODewback wrote: »

Is she

a romance option

._.

maybe? i dunno. she seems to be kind of like kelly/samantha/presley

Renly is in the game too

I'm just not sure what to make of Anne Boleyn being an asari.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I've decided in 2017 I shouldn't read news anymore. Instead I'm just going to (when linked to an article) quickly scroll to the bottom without even reading the title, and JUST read the comments.

Same goes for tweets.

ALL COMMENTS, ALL THE TIME

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular

what happened now

nothing specific

just

it keeps being more real and more cartoonishly vile

and it just makes me angry and sad

i am going to be visiting Cambridge MA in a few months and I'm seriously thinking whether i should cancel

or if I go, do I need to ask everyone going with me to delete all social media apps on our phones before we hit the border?

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I've decided in 2017 I shouldn't read news anymore. Instead I'm just going to (when linked to an article) quickly scroll to the bottom without even reading the title, and JUST read the comments.

Same goes for tweets.

So your new years resolution was to inflict a debilitating brain aneurysm on yourself by 2018?

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

I was riveted watching him string his confessor along that he was an atheist.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Any story or exchange that require ms digging through tweets makes me mad on principle

It was painfully difficult to do, and I barely have anything better to do!

• Options

Same goes for tweets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqLzZ-WUrSc

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I have not seen either of these movies and will not be watching them in the foreseeable future.

Click agree if you appreciate this insight.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    First run of a game on the new PC was awesome.

Played Overwatch on epic graphics settings. Holy bajesus does the game look good that way. Tonight, Witcher 3 cranked all the way up. I'm sure it will impress.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    The Times Square deli where I got my sausage egg and cheese is now closed because of a fire on Monday. I just learned it was because the fire started in the shitty restaurant next door which had too much grease in the ducts, which then ignited

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NYC-Firefighters-Battle-High-Rise-Fire-in-Times-Square-Seventh-Avenue-414325273.html

you monsters. you monsters! I had to go to DUNKIN DONUTS. ;_; come back soon pls i need u

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Pope Francis delivered another criticism of some members of his own Church on Thursday, suggesting it is better to be an atheist than one of "many" Catholics who he said lead a hypocritical double life.

In improvised comments in the sermon of his private morning Mass in his residence, he said: "It is a scandal to say one thing and do another. That is a double life."

"There are those who say 'I am very Catholic, I always go to Mass, I belong to this and that association'," the head of the 1.2 billion-member Roman Catholic Church said, according to a Vatican Radio transcript.

He said that some of these people should also say "'my life is not Christian, I don't pay my employees proper salaries, I exploit people, I do dirty business, I launder money, (I lead) a double life'."

"There are many Catholics who are like this and they cause scandal," he said. "How many times have we all heard people say 'if that person is a Catholic, it is better to be an atheist'."

you go Pope

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

what happened now

The struggle continues.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So it's snowing. Blizzard conditions, warns weather.com

But also only 1 inch of accumulation? What?

And snow day calculator is giving me a 90% chance of an early closing?

I don't believe these lies but good lord I am tired and would love to go sleep.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Here ya go [chat]. As nasty as u wanna b.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhG2lBLCtdA

This discussion has been closed.