As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A couple of physical problems.

SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Disclaimer: It's not possible for me to see a doctor just yet. But I don't think any of these warrant a visit. Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing, or what this might be a result of.

First, I have slight spams. Eyelids, lip, random muscle twitches on arms and legs...not all at the same time, mind you. Happens every so often and it's quite annoying, especially when you're talking to someone and your eyebrow is suddenly mimicking a phone on vibrate. I've looked all around the internet and nothing came out of that.

Second, I sometimes experience what I can only describe as sleep paralysis. I suddenly wake up, but cannot move at all, without extreme willpower (and that's to move my head). This usually happens about 1-2 hours before I normally wake up. Any way to stop this from happening?

smokeco3.jpg
Speakeasy on

• Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Talk about this with your doc when you get the chance, he or she will know more than we will.

However, it sounds to me like both of these symptoms could potentially be attributed to high levels of caffeine intake. That's just a shot in the dark, really.

Reckless on
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Both are stress related. Try some meditation or see a therapist if it gets to the point of interfering with daily life.

meeker on
  • Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    *throws physics degree in anger*

Thought I was gonna be useful for a second :(

Both can be caused by stress and/or overconsumption of caffeine, though both(especially the sleep paralysis)can just happen. Some people are affected by sleep paralysis, night terrors, etc. their whole lives. I went through a stressful period recently with work and moving, and basically every night for about a week I had vivid hallucinations while falling asleep and waking up(still awake), which is apparently not uncommon. There's even a cool word for them that I forget. Hypnogagnic! I remember

BlochWave on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Second, I sometimes experience what I can only describe as sleep paralysis. I suddenly wake up, but cannot move at all, without extreme willpower (and that's to move my head). This usually happens about 1-2 hours before I normally wake up. Any way to stop this from happening?

This normally happens when you're "body" is still asleep, but your mind is up... If that makes any sense. I read about it in my psychology class. No idea if there's a way to stop it from happening, but I wouldn't worry about that too much.

urahonky on
  • Options
    NimaNima Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    How old are you?
    These two things happened to me a fair bit when I was a teenager. I was also fairly stressed for long periods, so I agree that stress can be a factor.

Nima on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The second one is pretty common, actually - some people get not only that, but some fairly nasty hallucinations at the same time (some scientists think it may be remnants of dreams)

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Speakeasy wrote: »
    First, I have slight spams. Eyelids, lip, random muscle twitches on arms and legs...not all at the same time, mind you. Happens every so often and it's quite annoying, especially when you're talking to someone and your eyebrow is suddenly mimicking a phone on vibrate. I've looked all around the internet and nothing came out of that.

I used to have this too. It's actually fairly common to have small spasms. How old are you? Mine used to occur a lot in highschool and I think they petered off freshman year of college. I'd get one my right eye on the lower lid, one on my right arm top of the arm about a 1/4" toward the hand from the elbow and another one on my right thigh in the middle. Now that I post this, I wonder if something is fucked up with part of my brain, but slight/small spasms are not uncommon. I would still see a doctor, but I hope this gives you a bit of peace of mind until you do. I never had my spasms looked at and I haven't had one in years.

This too is normal. Your brain will usually paralyze your body while you sleep so you don't act out what you're dreaming. This isn't always the case (a la sleep walking). If I have a really bad dream and I realize that it's a dream and try to wake up the same thing happens to me. Usually I'll have my words caught in my throat and I'll shake like a mother fucker to try to get contol of my body back. My now ex girlfriend saw it happen a few times and the first time it freaked her out.

So definitly bring it up to a doctor the next time you see one, but I don't think it's something you should worry about too much.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    JermJerm Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    When you wake up and you're paralyzed, do you feel scared or anxious? Does it freak you out?

I believe people consult a doctor when it's frequent and upsetting. This happens to me once in a while, but when I wake up I just consider it that weird half-awake half slumber thing.

Jerm on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I get the random muscle twitches as well.

They seem to be completely random - I don't drink caffeine very often so that is not really a possibility at least for me. And it seems to be any random muscle in my body - legs, arms, neck.. face.

I honestly can't pin anything down other than possible fatigue as a reason.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Disclaimer: It's not possible for me to see a doctor just yet. But I don't think any of these warrant a visit. Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing, or what this might be a result of.

Sleep paralysis is famous and common where I live. If you get it a lot, the reason is usually massive over-tiredness.

Others have mentioned caffeine and stress, so I wonder if you are sleeping enough? Or are you trying to make caffeine and energy do the work that sleep and rest should?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    blu3manblu3man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ive had this, try stop drinking coffee. Its also your eating. What are you doing during the day?

Thats not tiredness its a lifestyle thing. Sleep paralysis is fun. Especially when u hallucinate at the same time lol.

blu3man on
    If this post did not answer your question click Here.
    For tuition on finding your answer click Here
    If you are unsure of if this question has already been answered click Here

For my blog click Here
    But seriously... Do not click Here
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for all of the responses, guys.

I do not have any caffeine of any sort. I dislike coffee, I have sworn off sodas, and I don't think Propel waters have any.

I usually get between 6-9 hours of sleep, depending on my work schedule.

I could be stressed...so that might be it.

I'm 22.

When I wake up and cannot move, I do panic for a bit...trying to call out for someone but can't seem to make a noise. Afterwards is when I try to move.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg