As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Negative Ghost Ryder, the planet is full. Tag your Spoilers.

SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
edited March 2017 in Games and Technology
pTrE2Db.jpg

Previously on the Mass Effect Thread
Version 1.0 - Mass Effect Andromeda announced, featuring even hotter humanoid ship AI
Version 2.0 - Ryders on the Tempest

(OP at least partially stolen from Curly. He carries us through more than just MP.)

Trailers!
E3 2015 - Johnny Cash in Space
https://youtu.be/uG8V9dRqSsw

N7 Day 2015 - Exploration means being apart, but not alone.
https://youtu.be/Rn98FdSg-Fo

EA Play 2016 - Andromeda Dev/BTS Preview
https://youtu.be/y2vgHOXeps0

PS4 Pro 4k Tech Video - Consoles need max resomolution too, you know.
https://youtu.be/t1hBNALUk4w

N7 Day 2016 - Cinematic Reveal Trailer
https://youtu.be/pyZw_oqk7Q8

VG Awards 2016 - Official Gameplay Trailer
https://youtu.be/NOIzH6UcoW4

CES 2017 - New Gameplay Trailer
https://youtu.be/NK6pgNxyunI

1/27/16 - Official Cinematic Trailer
https://youtu.be/NNG_szaXNNU

PAX East 2017 - Official Launch Trailer
https://youtu.be/X6PJEmEHIaY

Additionally, here's a link to the Andromeda Initiative, where more information/videos can be found. Watch all 6 and get an in-game item for your character!

What We Know So Far:
Sorce wrote: »
Who wants a release date?

It's probably March 21st, 2017.

Release date CONFIRMED as 3-21-17, as of the CES Gameplay Trailer

Game Informer Article Update:
RYDER
- Ryder is meant to start inexperienced; even in Mass Effect 1, Shepard was already a decorated soldier
- This is not planned as "The Ryder Trilogy;" maybe the character's story will continue, maybe it won't
- You can customize all 3 members of the Ryder family regardless of who you play as, as asymmetrical as you want them to be.

COMBAT
- It is intended that the combat will feel the same in both singleplayer and multiplayer
- Global cooldowns are replaced by individual timers, and all of your powers will have hotkeys instead of a select few; no more pausing to bring up the power wheel and aim
- No more sticky "in cover/out of cover;" if you walk up to a piece of cover, you're in cover, and you just walk away to get out of cover
- A jetpack dash replaces the combat roll on the ground, and it can also be used to get over obstacles and get to higher ground; the jetpack also has a hover option
- The new destructible environments means they intend to have it be way less obvious what parts of the map are combat arenas
- Guns won't be completely new; the Avenger rifle and the Black Widow sniper were cited as returning
- Melee weapons will be available, like swords and hammers.

RPG Mechanics
- No more class system, all skills from all classes are available to all characters, and you unlock "class profiles" based on how you spec that give bonuses
- Crafting, y'all; blueprints for weapons and armor can be discovered, and you gather up the resources to build them.

STORY
- The new race seen in the trailer are the Kett, who are intended to be just as gray as any other ME race, they are not just the villains
- You are the Pathfinder, and your job is to explore the "golden worlds (those determined as possibly suitable for habitation)" and secure a location for humanity.

EXPLORATION
- They do not want to call this an open-world game, and instead say maps are similar to Dragon Age Inquisition
- The new Mako is called the Nomad
- Members of the Need For Speed team worked on the Nomad to ensure it was, uh, good
- There are no weapons on the Nomad, it is purely for traversal
- Expect to find actual sidequests on the optional planets, featuring combat and puzzle encounters
- Expect each planet to have at least one dungeon-esque enemy base on it, which will be lengthy and conclude with boss fights
- Ryder is implanted with a scanner, and scanning objects will give rewards such as money, technology, and Codex entires.

LEGACY
- They wanted to bring one aspect of each previous game to the forefront for this new game
- Mass Effect 1: The Mako
- Mass Effect 2: Loyalty missions
- Mass Effect 3: Multiplayer

THE TEMPEST
- The Tempest is your new Normandy, a scout-class ship that is much smaller and faster
- There are no more loading screens when traveling between levels of the ship
- The Galaxy Map will be a more behind-the-back view rather than the top-down of previous games
- You can actually watch the Tempest travel the galaxy
- If you leave the Galaxy Map and go look out a window; you will see exactly where you left the ship
- They intend on having it feel like actual command of a ship; rather than pressing "land" on a menu and then a loading screen takes you to the planet, you set a course to a planet, arrive there, head to the garage to get in the Nomad, or to the landing bay.

CHARACTERS
- The Asari seen in multiple trailers is named Peebee, and she came with on the Nexus mothership, but split off on her own; she cares less about the mission than she does about finding cool new shit
- Liam is a human member of the Pathfinder team, an ex-cop and security officer
- Andromeda will have more romance options than any ME game before, and they are all much more in-depth
- Your relationship with the other Ryder will be a critical part of the game, with several central story interactions as well as numerous optional ones
- Not every romantic relationship will lead to the two of you being together forever, and not all of them will even lead to sex
- They specifically call out the "shooting bottles with Garrus on the Citadel" scene as the kind of moment they wanted to have a lot more of.

MULTIPLAYER
- Yes, it's still 4-player co-op where you fight enemies in waves
- Unlocks are still gained from card packs, that can be obtained via in-game currency or actual cash money
- Difficulty, map, and enemy type can still be set for each match, as well as new modifiers to make rounds easier or harder; an example given is decreased health for your entire team for the round with a much higher credits payout at the end of it
- Multiplayer is the story of the Apex Force, a Nexus strike team
- Factions faced will be Andromeda specific, don't expect to fight the Geth or Collectors [until they release that inevitable DLC pack]
- Mission funds are the third currency, unlocked by completing Bioware-made specific multiplayer missions; mission funds can be used to buy specific unlocks you want rather than blind card packs
- The catch is the store will have a rotating stock that will not have everything
- Multiplayer progress will affect the single-player, but not the ending of the game; the multiplayer's impact is described as in the middle of ME3's and DA:I's
- Prestige XP is separate from character XP, and is earned in one pool for each character of that type
- Bonuses gained from leveling up via prestige XP apply to all your characters

DIALOGUE & CHOICES
- The Paragon/Renegade system has been removed
- Dialogue choices now have tones associated with them, much like in Dragon Age 2
- Interrupts return, but now without the Paragon/Renegade associations; interrupt prompts will now describe what you will actually do before you do it

- New Game + is returning, and will allow you to switch over to the other Ryder if you'd like
- Post-release content is coming, though they only talk about the multiplayer

ROMANCE
Mass Effect Andromeda's New Approach To Romance
BioWare is trying to evolve what it has previously done with romances; the team has learned from the original Mass Effect trilogy, and is taking those ideas in more interesting and believable directions. "We've built on it [from the trilogy]," Walters says. "We had a strong foundation for how [romance] was working. For me, typically in the trilogy it was a bit formulaic. You'd talk to them and then get to that one point in the game where there was no going and back and romance was going to happen. That's not real life. There should be some people who just want to hop in the sack immediately. There should people who are interested in a long-term relationship. There are people who aren't interested in romance at all."
Link.

BioWare's Andromeda Gameplay Series

Part 1 - Andromeda Gameplay General Overview
https://youtu.be/HrWgLMH8yRU

Part 2 - Profiles, Favorites, and Squad Assignments
https://youtu.be/d3q_Nd5arZM

Part 3 - Exploration & Discovery
https://youtu.be/Ts9WLMSAYVE

Part 4 - Multiplayer
https://youtu.be/6OmW-4F4h30

Other Parts incoming!

Hardware Requirements
One (1) Xbone
One (1) PS4
or, if you like PCs..
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5 3570 or AMD FX-6350
MEMORY: 8 GB RAM
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB, AMD Radeon 7850 2GB
HARD DRIVE: At least 55 GB of free space
DIRECTX: DirectX 11

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-4790 or AMD FX-8350
MEMORY: 16 GB RAM
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB, AMD RX 480 4GB
HARD DRIVE: At least 55 GB of free space
DIRECTX: DirectX 11

Techy stuff, aka "Resolutions and FPS"
Last I checked, we were like other Frostbite games on PS4 and XBox One - 1080p and 900p respectively. All are at 30 fps. PC has uncapped framerate.
Link.

Versions of the Release:
So, quick post rounding up the SKUs.

As far as the game itself, there's three iterations: Base Game, Digital Deluxe, and Super Deluxe Edition. If you want the Nomad a steelbook, there's two iterations; the Model Collector's Edition, and the Remote Control Collector's Edition. Here's the differences:

Base Game just has the game itself, no extras whatsoever. Costs $59.99
Deluxe has the Base Game, plus a bunch of in-game collectibles like armor/guns, a pet Pyjack to punch in the face, and some MP booster packs to start off with. Costs $69.99
Super Deluxe has all the above, plus an additional MP booster pack a week for 20 weeks. Costs $99.99.

Here's what the Digital items actually are:

WhphAaS.jpg

For the physical items, those are a separate purchase (NO GAME INCLUDED).

Model Collector's Edition. You get a die-cast version of the Nomad (1:18 scale) and a steelbook case. Costs $100.
Remote Control Collector's Edition. You get an R/C car version of the Nomad (also 1:18 scale) instead of the die-cast model, and the aforementioned steelbook case. Costs $200.

So this time around you can spend anywhere from $60 to $300 to get your Mass Effect Andromeda fix, but keep in mind that this doesn't include any kind of DLC/Season Pass, because that stuff hasn't been announced as of yet. At least there's an armor/skin/booster pack when you pre-order!

DLC News: Andromeda is getting DLC, but not a Season Pass.

Lastly, Quads.

sig.gif
Sorce on

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Multiplayer
    Since the game has MP, and it's all co-op, here's a list of your fellow Pathfinders to meet, go to interesting locations, and kill stuff with.

Population list here.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I took a week off of work to play this game.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I just hope for sidequests, theres more characters and conversations than DAI.

Dialog is one of Bioware's greatest strengths, not running around reading notes. Its a joy to mingle with people in their games, when not shooting people in the face, want to see them lean on that as much as possible.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Most of the early players mentioned how talkative your companions are, so I imagine there will be plenty of rando dialogue and not the dead lull of DA I that seriously felt buggy at times.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MarekMarek Lurker Pro A screen door... factoryRegistered User regular
    Not that it matters much for the game at all, but I wonder if the pending (~4 billion years) Andromeda-Milky Way collision will get a passing mention in some way.

XBL: Jason Marek
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Girl, you got your andromeda all up in my milky way, heeeyo!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    But where do we talk about Mass Effect Milky Way??????

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Alien 1: "My Lord we are receiving an audio message from these, uh, hoo-mins."
    Alien Lord: "Play it!"
    Message: :whistle: I can't get enough of your love babe. Girl, I don't know, I don't know why! :whistle:
    Alien Lord: "W-what does it mean?"
    Alien 1: "I don't know my Lord, but I've a sudden desire to meet these hoo-mins. . . for drinks maybe."

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Imagine if they got this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiRDJLcYua0

We'd arrive to a Galaxy with an entire arsenal of anti-Shepard weaponry, and also groupies.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Natalie Dormer is voicing a character? Geesh Bioware, alright i'll buy your game already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erJhJEewCgM

At around 55s: "Sorry, that's the last book in the series. The author died before it was finished."

Given that it's Natalie Dormer reading the line, that's some quality outside-the-4th-wall GoT trolling.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So in the new gameplay video they switch between 4 different profiles during a single fight against a handful of enemies.

Is that just an extreme example to show off the functionality or is that something you might really be expected to do regularly to get the most out of all the skill points you spend? Especially on say, a higher difficulty level?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    I would imagine its a bit of both. They were showing off how you could use the 4 favorites, and then not so subtly showing you this might be a thing you account for.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    So, if I buy from Greenmangaming for the discount, chances are I wouldn't get a key in time for the Origin Access early start, would I?

Bah. Probably just going to buy straight from Origin.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Getting really excited about this. I installed ME3 tonight to finish the three-game play through I started about a year ago. Luckily I've played all the games in the first trilogy so many times I can drop in at any point and be comfortable with it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    But where do we talk about Mass Effect Milky Way??????
    Definitely not in the Mars thread

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    CrazodCrazod Registered User regular
    I have this strange feeling this thread is gonna move faster and faster over the next few weeks.

• Options
    A month out and a new thread probably means another new thread right around launch.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So in the new gameplay video they switch between 4 different profiles during a single fight against a handful of enemies.

Is that just an extreme example to show off the functionality or is that something you might really be expected to do regularly to get the most out of all the skill points you spend? Especially on say, a higher difficulty level?

It seems extremely unlikely that the average (or the wise) player will actually fight like that in practice. Passives scale off the amount of points invested in their associated Skill Group and Profiles level up based on investment in their relevant Skill Group(s). That would suggests to me most people are going to focus on one or two Profiles and use Favorites to swap between different sets of Powers associated with those one or two Profiles. An Adept switching between Shockwave/Annihilation/Backlash and Singularity/Throw/Charge for example, maybe a third Favorite setup where they go Sentinel to go Cryo Beam/Lance/Overload. You get the idea. You'd stick to a couple Profiles that have overlap in suggested Skill Groups.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    SayuriUlianaSayuriUliana Registered User regular
    Btw, that statement about "Having more lines than Shepard" is a misquote.

Mac Walters clarifies that characters with the least lines has more dialogue than the *squadmate* with the most lines in ME3, not Shepard.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular

Mac Walters clarifies that characters with the least lines has more dialogue than the *squadmate* with the most lines in ME3, not Shepard.

That seems a lot more feasible, good.

I'm hoping we get to see squaddies interacting with each other sans Ryder. One thing I really liked in ME3: your companions really felt like they had goals and desires outside of waiting patiently for Shepard-senpai to notice them.

I've seen some people complain about there only being 6 squadmates, but I'd rather have a low number of fleshed-out characters than a parade of archetypes and plot devices.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I kind of hope there's a Romance that ends in player death, like with Morinth, but more gruesome.

Like this
    OOrnsBV.gif

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »

That seems a lot more feasible, good.

I'm hoping we get to see squaddies interacting with each other sans Ryder. One thing I really liked in ME3: your companions really felt like they had goals and desires outside of waiting patiently for Shepard-senpai to notice them.

I've seen some people complain about there only being 6 squadmates, but I'd rather have a low number of fleshed-out characters than a parade of archetypes and plot devices.

So we had Garrus and Tali hooking up. I hope in Andromeda, we get at least one set of squadmates doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgFyCuKoEGA

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote: »

It seems extremely unlikely that the average (or the wise) player will actually fight like that in practice. Passives scale off the amount of points invested in their associated Skill Group and Profiles level up based on investment in their relevant Skill Group(s). That would suggests to me most people are going to focus on one or two Profiles and use Favorites to swap between different sets of Powers associated with those one or two Profiles. An Adept switching between Shockwave/Annihilation/Backlash and Singularity/Throw/Charge for example, maybe a third Favorite setup where they go Sentinel to go Cryo Beam/Lance/Overload. You get the idea. You'd stick to a couple Profiles that have overlap in suggested Skill Groups.
    I get the game balance thing, with only having 3 powers available, but I hope that they're a lot more accessible on the PC interface (if there even is one), than just having those 3 powers at a time. At the very least, being able to fire the companion ones on 4 and 5?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

I get the game balance thing, with only having 3 powers available, but I hope that they're a lot more accessible on the PC interface (if there even is one), than just having those 3 powers at a time. At the very least, being able to fire the companion ones on 4 and 5?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that we are not going to have direct control of our squad mates' powers this time around, but they will use their abilities more intelligently.

253J736.png
  • Options
    It's just such a shame to have all those buttons and you still have to use space for everything

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017

That's actually more or less how I played Kingdoms of Amalur, which had the pretty much identical Destiny system: it also had a three disciplines system (in its case Might, Magic and Finesse), where you can spend points in their abilities to unlock Destiny cards, which work identically to the Profile system.

How I played that game was that I put points into Magic and Finesse, and then I equipped the Destinies unlocked by the Magic/Finesse combo. The only time I swapped Destinies was when I unlocked a higher ranking version of the one I'm already using. For the most part though, I just kept trying to improve my Magic and Finesse skills to become the best Mage Thief I can be, while putting only a token amount into Might to improve my character's HP.
    I get the game balance thing, with only having 3 powers available, but I hope that they're a lot more accessible on the PC interface (if there even is one), than just having those 3 powers at a time.

For PC, the Favorites loadouts can be assigned to hotkeys so you don't have to bring up the Favorites wheel.

SayuriUliana on
  • Options
    Also, I hope it isn't a radial wheel. Those don't tend to work as well on PC

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also, I hope it isn't a radial wheel. Those don't tend to work as well on PC

As I already pointed out, on PC you can just simply bind the Favorites to a hotkey, so if you want to bring up a favorite you just press a button and it'll switch to that loadout instantly.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    A+ thread title, would read again.

I heard somewhere (probably tweeter) that the casual outfits can have their colours changed this time around so you're not going to necessarily be stuck with a plain grey jumper or some brown blacksmithing trousers.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    A+ thread title, would read again.

I heard somewhere (probably tweeter) that the casual outfits can have their colours changed this time around so you're not going to necessarily be stuck with a plain grey jumper or some brown blacksmithing trousers.

Yes, you can.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I really, really hope the resource collection isn't similar to Inquisition.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Additionally, here's a link to the Andromeda Initiative, where more information/videos can be found. Watch all 6 and get an in-game item for your character!
    I only just found out about this. Are there only four videos out so far, or am I missing two due to my intense stupidity?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Four out so far

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Hello, yes. Mass Effect is a game I am super excited for. "Little dog pissing everywhere" levels of excitement.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »
    I really, really hope the resource collection isn't similar to Inquisition.

IGN's preview mentioned the nomad has little mining drones, so at the very least you don't have to get out of your vehicle to harvest.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I will tell you right now that I will play the entire game with a single set of 3 skills and I will never change them and the game will work just fine.

It's just an option for flexibility.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have a feeling they pared down the number of squadmates in order to dedicate more script resources to each individual squadmate my guess?

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I'm hoping your squadmates interject more in conversations.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    A smart move in my eyes. Quality over quantity since I can only take two with me anyway.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.