As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Conan Exiles: Penny Arcade Server Now Online

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Any tips on the rest of my questions posted above? Does choice of deity matter? Do me and my friends want to build multiple altars to different gods or does it make any difference?

Some things have changed in recent-ish patches that modified the benefits somewhat.

Yog - you craft a special bone club and when you harvest a dead human, they drop meat that you can cook at the Yog altar which is purified and doesn't spoil, and fills both hunger and water. It used to give you a regen heal, not anymore, it was OP compared to other options. Yog the god avatar is the most powerful and can fly, it's used to destroy enemy bases in hard-to-reach places most often.

Mitra - you craft an ankh and when you harvest NPCs you get stuff to turn into ambrosia which gives a health regen. This is now a lot more useful than it used to be, because they changed the aloe heal potion recipe to have much higher requirements. Mitra's avatar is considered the least powerful/useful, from what I have heard.

Set - you craft a dagger and when you harvest NPCs you get stuff to make antidotes which cure poison, currently the only antidote in the game I believe, but it's not totally crucial to survival. You can regen through poison pretty well. Set's avatar is supposed to be pretty good for causing mass destruction.

Crom - opting out of the religion system, essentially.

Don't think of the religion system like choosing to worship gods or anything, they are simply a different type of crafting bench. You can actually "worship" all three gods if you find the priests in the wilderness that can teach the religions to you, this just unlocks the building of other gods' shrines. Here is the map, they are located at the dots. Yog is very easy to get to, Set is pretty difficult in a mazelike canyon and surrounded by DEADLY spiders, Mitra I'm actually not sure about.

Axen wrote: »
    HAH!

I laugh only because Crom is well known in the Conan universe as the God that does not answer prayers.

Actually I've heard this is not the case, it's mostly that he despises people asking him for things. He wants people to get by on their own strength. The only times he intervenes is when people specifically say they want no help from anyone or any gods. In at least one Conan story he directly helps Conan, who recognizes it and sheepishly goes and makes an offering to him in thanks but doesn't want anyone else to see.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

HAH!

I laugh only because Crom is well known in the Conan universe as the God that does not answer prayers.

Actually I've heard this is not the case, it's mostly that he despises people asking him for things. He wants people to get by on their own strength. The only times he intervenes is when people specifically say they want no help from anyone or any gods. In at least one Conan story he directly helps Conan, who recognizes it and sheepishly goes and makes an offering to him in thanks but doesn't want anyone else to see.

Eh, in one book only does he help and it wasn't one of the originals. Not that I have a problem with all the other books as they're mostly awesome. Just saying Howard set the stage and most writers more or less followed suit.

99% of the time Crom is hands off to the point that most people who are not Cimmerian don't believe he is real. Compared to the other "Gods" who have cults, acolytes, and "miracles" which go a long way to making the masses believe they exist. As an example a Priest of Mitra wouldn't be a big fan of Set, but they would recognize that Set exists. As opposed to their view of Crom where they'd shrug their shoulders and ask, "Where's the proof?"

Unlike the other "Gods" Crom doesn't require prayers, worship, or really anything you'd expect with some sort of religion. The Cimmerians do kind of do those types of things, but to Crom as long as you are a warrior engaging in glorious combat he won't care if you are a follower of him, Set, Mitra, Yog, Ymir, Xotli or whatever else he'll still be pleased. Or as pleased as Crom can get, which I imagine is something along the lines of 'slightly less dour'.

I use quote marks with Gods cause most of them are either some sort of ultra powerful Demon, ancient creature or an Elder One.

edit- Also unlike the other Gods, even if you are a devout believer in Crom and do all the things that please him there still isn't any reward. No afterlife, no boons, just nothing.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    So when you say Elder One, does this game have Lovecraftian type entities in it? Weren't Howard and Lovecraft contemporaries in terms of when they were writing?

I see the big Cthulu monster in the pictures in the OP. Is that one of the avatars you spawn.

And what is the point of those avatars? Do you try to kill them? Or send them after your enemies or what? And if you're playing on a private PVE server, is there any purpose to them?

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So when you say Elder One, does this game have Lovecraftian type entities in it? Weren't Howard and Lovecraft contemporaries in terms of when they were writing?

I see the big Cthulu monster in the pictures in the OP. Is that one of the avatars you spawn.

And what is the point of those avatars? Do you try to kill them? Or send them after your enemies or what? And if you're playing on a private PVE server, is there any purpose to them?

Yeah that is the Yog avatar and it seems mostly for pvp due to amount of resources invested and main purpose is to explode bases. So other than cool factor I can't imagine much of a purpose on PvE due to their 60 second lifespan. So the main reason is to get the various other resources/gear/structures from the various religions in pve (edit: whoops) like Priest of Mitra gets you a cheaper well--although you need to improve the basic altar first in order to craft them? Priest of Set talking here but I can craft snake arrows on the carpenter bench so might be some exceptions.

I hope they put more religion stuff in the game as sort of a particular talent path. I love the interdependence on others to craft various things which can then be easily tweaked by server settings/mods for those playing singleplayer/a few people.

Karoz on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    If some crafts a building part/workbench that you can't, can you place it?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Yes, you can also use workstations even if you can't make them.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

Ah cool.

I was thinking of setting up a small base near that big npc camp in the SW corner, and snagging some of their high level peeps.

But instead of dragging them accross a decent chunk of the map, I want to setup a couple of wheels of pain right there, and then just move the thralls worth keeping.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options

Naturally, you can only craft things you have the recipes for, so while anyone can use say a bonfire to do cooking, I can't use the carpenter's bench to make shaped wood, although I can make snake arrows. The opposite is true for Malakaius.

• Options
    I'm only level 6 currently, but the map doesn't really seem that big. Maybe it's just a matter of perception. But like, you start in the southern desert and walk north, and the first thing you encounter is a river and some islands.

And just using that river as a matter of scale against the rest of the map, the world map did not feel very big. Like, I was able to run the entire length of that river in just a matter of minutes.

• Options

Ah cool.

I was thinking of setting up a small base near that big npc camp in the SW corner, and snagging some of their high level peeps.

But instead of dragging them accross a decent chunk of the map, I want to setup a couple of wheels of pain right there, and then just move the thralls worth keeping.

This is a good idea, just be careful Thralls are very heavy.

• Options
    I'm only level 6 currently, but the map doesn't really seem that big. Maybe it's just a matter of perception. But like, you start in the southern desert and walk north, and the first thing you encounter is a river and some islands.

And just using that river as a matter of scale against the rest of the map, the world map did not feel very big. Like, I was able to run the entire length of that river in just a matter of minutes.

There are future plans for expansions and biomes in the works but yes currently the map is kind of small.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

This is correct. There are some Cthulhu Mythos references in Conan and vice versa.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options

This is correct. There are some Cthulhu Mythos references in Conan and vice versa

It's generally inffered that Conan is prehistory for the Cthulu Mythos. Howard and Lovecraft were frequent pen pals.

• Options

Ah cool.

This is a good idea, just be careful Thralls are very heavy.

Yeah, I'm hoping that the increase in efficiency of being able to only grab the useful thralls, and the fact that you don't need to carry a lot of gear will offset that.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Yall wrote: »
    Don't give up yet Mark. A) him whacking one or many of us was to be expected after the way things went down. B) revenge will be fun and you don't want to miss out on that!

No, it's not for me. I get no pleasure from killing players and destroying their building, and take no pleasure from having it done to me.

And the idea that I'll log in after, say, another 100 hours of playtime to find that some has destroyed all the places I've built just makes me feel I've wanted those hundred hours.

I'm just not a pvp'er, in any sense.

I'm logging in soon, and I'll transfer everything I've made to my little house between the statues.

• Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Yall wrote: »
    Don't give up yet Mark. A) him whacking one or many of us was to be expected after the way things went down. B) revenge will be fun and you don't want to miss out on that!

No, it's not for me. I get no pleasure from killing players and destroying their building, and take no pleasure from having it done to me.

And the idea that I'll log in after, say, another 100 hours of playtime to find that some has destroyed all the places I've built just makes me feel I've wanted those hundred hours.

I'm just not a pvp'er, in any sense.

I'm logging in soon, and I'll transfer everything I've made to my little house between the statues.

I've moved all my potentially useful stuff to my little house between the statues - coal, iron bars, leather, 140-odd torches, etc. Help yourself to anything the clan finds useful. I'll log in in a few days, and if it's gone I'll leave the clan to free up the space.

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

You are correct, Howard and Lovecraft were close friends in real life. The letters they wrote to each other literally filled an entire book called "A Means to Freedom". I own every single novel and novella of both of these authors. Some of the prints I have are extremely old as well. They are a centerpiece of my shelf in my house. Two of my favourite authors. In my experience with both of them, the most interesting novella was a book called Wolfshead by Howard. It is a book in which you can tell he wrote as a tribute to his friend and it is an extremely good read, and very interesting once you know the background history of the two men. https://www.amazon.com/Wolfshead-Other-Stories-Robert-Howard-ebook/dp/B0090U228Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487829670&sr=8-2&keywords=Wolfshead

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Ok, so available now in the OP servers PA fort for those who missed it are Iron tools and swords, and medium armour.

I've also completed construction of an outer wall at the entrance. If possible thralls would be great, archer thralls between the crenellations on the battlements can actually shoot and hit stuff so some of those would be great. Some melee thralls in the gatehouse and then in the ward grounds would be good. I dread to think how much stone it cost total, but I'm thinking the next step is an outer wall that comes all the way up to the river to use it as a makeshift moat, which is likely an even bigger task.

I also found the base of those "Royal 7" geese. This fabled "massive base" is small room built up a mountain pass. I put a map in the discord. There are four archer thralls on top of the room. Next level I learn crossbows, so I might go hunting wabbits so to speak.

I also built a shine of Yog on the cliff to the west of the base if you want to get some of the unperishable food.

Being GMT means I've been able to do all this basically untouched, so I'm probably going to leverage this to harass thier base. I might build a tower directly across as a shelter incase they decide to log in early.

Also we need to build some leather stockpiles to go with our iron, we need it for the armour and tools. Seems like bark is the chocking point there.

• Options

You are correct, Howard and Lovecraft were close friends in real life. The letters they wrote to each other literally filled an entire book called "A Means to Freedom". I own every single novel and novella of both of these authors. Some of the prints I have are extremely old as well. They are a centerpiece of my shelf in my house. Two of my favourite authors. In my experience with both of them, the most interesting novella was a book called Wolfshead by Howard. It is a book in which you can tell he wrote as a tribute to his friend and it is an extremely good read, and very interesting once you know the background history of the two men. https://www.amazon.com/Wolfshead-Other-Stories-Robert-Howard-ebook/dp/B0090U228Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487829670&sr=8-2&keywords=Wolfshead

This is really awesome and I love lore-talk.

I'm a big HP Lovecraft fan. I have an ebook anthology of his complete works and I've read most of them. And I'm a huge fan of the tabletop RPG games in his univese, the Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, Elder Signs, and so forth. Absolutely love those games and that universe.

Knowing the possibility that Hyboria is somehow linked in the distant past makes this Conan stuff even more awesome to me.

As I said before, I'm a complete Conan novice. This Conan Exiles is my first ever experience with this universe so I'm eating up all this lore info. It's a lot of fun getting into a new universe that I have no foreknowledge of. I'm coming in with completely fresh eyes on this.

Sidenote: I did a digital rental of Conan the Barbarian last night on Amazon Prime. The movie was pretty enjoyable. There wasn't much lore there, or worldbuilding, but the story was enjoyable. Honestly, it left me hungry for more.

I might have to see if I can find an ebook anthology of Howard's works and start reading those.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Ok, so available now in the OP servers PA fort for those who missed it are Iron tools and swords, and medium armour.

I've also completed construction of an outer wall at the entrance. If possible thralls would be great, archer thralls between the crenellations on the battlements can actually shoot and hit stuff so some of those would be great. Some melee thralls in the gatehouse and then in the ward grounds would be good. I dread to think how much stone it cost total, but I'm thinking the next step is an outer wall that comes all the way up to the river to use it as a makeshift moat, which is likely an even bigger task.

I also found the base of those "Royal 7" geese. This fabled "massive base" is small room built up a mountain pass. I put a map in the discord. There are four archer thralls on top of the room. Next level I learn crossbows, so I might go hunting wabbits so to speak.

I also built a shine of Yog on the cliff to the west of the base if you want to get some of the unperishable food.

Being GMT means I've been able to do all this basically untouched, so I'm probably going to leverage this to harass thier base. I might build a tower directly across as a shelter incase they decide to log in early.

Also we need to build some leather stockpiles to go with our iron, we need it for the armour and tools. Seems like bark is the chocking point there.

There's a cliff just past the bridge too that I setup a small yog shrine and a little personal base, so feel free to use that as it's part of the clan now too.

Also note, don't jump into a yog pit, it does kill you immediately. Whoops.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

There's a cliff just past the bridge too that I setup a small yog shrine and a little personal base, so feel free to use that as it's part of the clan now too.

Also note, don't jump into a yog pit, it does kill you immediately. Whoops.

I'm contemplating building some kind of trap where you go into a building and there's a yog pit immediatly inside

• Options
    edited February 2017
    As I said before, I'm a complete Conan novice. This Conan Exiles is my first ever experience with this universe so I'm eating up all this lore info. It's a lot of fun getting into a new universe that I have no foreknowledge of. I'm coming in with completely fresh eyes on this.

Sidenote: I did a digital rental of Conan the Barbarian last night on Amazon Prime. The movie was pretty enjoyable. There wasn't much lore there, or worldbuilding, but the story was enjoyable. Honestly, it left me hungry for more.

I might have to see if I can find an ebook anthology of Howard's works and start reading those.

Either Conan is public domain or the specific original stories are, you can read them here.

EDIT: Dude I clicked on the first story I saw and Conan ends up on a cross, reminiscent of Exiles!
    Conan stared at that expanse of empty waste shimmering tawnily in the late sunlight as a trapped hawk stares at the open sky. A revulsion shook him when he glanced at the gleaming towers of Khauran. The city had betrayed him—trapped him into circumstances that left him hanging to a wooden cross like a hare nailed to a tree.
    'By Mitra!' Either a voice spoke, or he suffered from hallucination. 'In all my life I have never seen such a thing!'

Shaking the sweat and blood from his eyes, Conan saw four horsemen sitting their steeds in the twilight and staring up at him.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Conan is very much an odd jobs adventurer in his stories. Lots of fun.

I think his most amusing feature is his tendency toward giving everyone he meets the benefit of the doubt exactly once.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    I have reached the top of the cliff with my not remotely structurally sound tower. Spoiler: There are more cliffs. I will continue my climb to the heavens until I have conquered that particular geographic feature.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    I have reached the top of the cliff with my not remotely structurally sound tower. Spoiler: There are more cliffs. I will continue my climb to the heavens until I have conquered that particular geographic feature.

I love the fact it let you clip foundations and stairs into cliffs.

I dream of my future house on the head of one of the statues on the river.

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WacGKcFmXzM&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    The best part of that video is the last 5 seconds. He falls off the statue to his death.
    And then an alligator eats him.

• Options

Once my current tower project is finished, I'm going to try to stick various rooms to cliffs connected via open-air starts and paths.

Main problem is the cliff face curves, and there's no way to do so for stairs etc.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Once my current tower project is finished, I'm going to try to stick various rooms to cliffs connected via open-air starts and paths.

Main problem is the cliff face curves, and there's no way to do so for stairs etc.

That seems like a good idea.

Also the server seems to have gone down.

Edit: Nevermind, was a patch

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Patch notes
    TL;DR (Patch Highlights)
    Known Issue: Yellow Lotus Potions sometimes have no effect. This will be fixed as quickly as possible, and in the meantime we recommend not using them.
    EXPLOIT FIX: Players can no longer use building previews to move themselves around
    This specifically addresses issues with Explosive Jar and Well placement previews
    EXPLOIT FIX: Players can no longer use chairs to travel great distances
    EXPLOIT FIX: The crouch/jump "boost" should now be fixed
    Please get in touch with us if you discover additional instances where jump "boosting" is possible. We understand the impact these issues had on raiding and general basebuilding on PvP servers, and want to make sure this issue is completely eliminated.
    EXPLOIT FIX: You can no longer dismantle Explosive Jars that have already exploded
    EXPLOIT FIX: Players now respawn immediately upon dying, skipping the death camera
    This is a temporary measure to prevent players from retaining their gear after dying. A more complete solution will be added in the future.
    EXPLOIT FIX: Players can no longer walk through walls which have not loaded in yet
    Fixes for certain server crashes
    Bows should now fire consistently on dedicated servers
    Bows should now always consume ammunition
    NPC archers and Thrall archers can now properly aim
    Bows should no longer shoot in crazy directions
    Fixed an issue where thralls would not properly load on server restart
    Knives are now efficient for harvesting Hide or Thick Hide
    Made more monsters able to damage structures. Some can even damage T3 buildings!
    You can now loot corpses under water

Also
    Bedrolls and beds can only be bound to one character at a time
    Make beds only have one owner, and show the owner in GUI. If you respawn, the bedroll is prioritized over the bed, so bedrolls can be used for expeditions. Please give us feedback on this change.

So be sure to have one bed/bedroll bound per player now.

Edit: Can confirm knives harvesting only and a substantial amount of hide on appropriate creatures.

Karoz on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    I'm KoKoNaan on the server. I needs me a clan.

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Conan being the "odd jobs" adventurer as a previous poster said, is what spawned Terry Pratchett's "Cohen the Barbarian" and his age of "Between 90-95" years old. Rumour is, that Pratchett calculated out how old Conan would have had to have been to have done all of the adventures he does in the Howard short stories and other books. The number Pratchett came to was somwhere "between 90-95" years of age, as Conan is technically set in a fantasy version of the real world; so Cohen the Barbarian was born.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Is it possible for a person to host their own dedicated server, or do they have to pay for a server rental?

• Options
    Is it possible for a person to host their own dedicated server, or do they have to pay for a server rental?

Not sure but probably rental. However I was able to get very little lag playing Co-op with an Aussie friend (I'm in California) so that could be an option though that crafting won't progress while you're not playing and the time on massive amounts of things like iron reinforcements can be huge even with thralls.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    So knives are now the number 1 way to get hide? I'm not going to pick up a ton of meat as when I use a pickaxe?

• Options
    What tier are knives? I don't know how to make that yet. Is there a stone knife? Or do I have to get into the iron tier?

• Options
    That's what it sounds like.

I'm glad they gave a little extra benefit to having a knife around, I like unique bonuses to having certain gear.

• Options
    What tier are knives? I don't know how to make that yet. Is there a stone knife? Or do I have to get into the iron tier?

I think it's listed as stone dagger rather than knife.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    So knives are now the number 1 way to get hide? I'm not going to pick up a ton of meat as when I use a pickaxe?

Yeah. Given Elim's server has like x1.5 collection but we're getting like 30+ hides off some creatures.

Stone dagger works wonderfully, low durability but just repairs with stone. Iron Poinard is just giving ridiculous amounts of hides but needs leather and iron to repair.

Speaking of, the Javelin is in an interesting place. It takes stone, branches, and twine to make, stone to repair, is one handed, has more durability than the iron sword and only does 2 points less damage putting it on par with the Kopesh and Falcata. Its attack is a little slower but you can also throw it (no idea on retrieve) and less chance of accidental friendly fire or hitting nearby trees/stone that further reduces durability.

• Options
    I feel like the baseline durability on everything is massively under-tuned. Stuff is breaking way too fast.

Especially shields.