As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Up Top

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Up Top

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• CEOIIICEOIII Registered User regular
    Representation. IS. Important.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    10 of 10 possible d'awwwws. Love this strip.

(And I wish Hoizon Zero Dawn was releasing on PC.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • kimjo42kimjo42 Registered User regular
    I have a 9-yo daughter and this one, guys, brought a tear to me eye. Hats off.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So damn cute... heart... can't take it!

*Dies*

*medic-alert bracelet reads: "Please clear my browser history"*

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • mausx3mausx3 Registered User new member
    Wholesome af

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    No I was just cutting some onions, SHUT UP

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • SIXytSIXyt Esq STLRegistered User regular
    I was waiting for the shoe to drop as I read through, but nope just full of misty eyed joy. As a dad this hits hard.

• armatur3armatur3 San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I love that she scoots closer in the middle panel. I have to parrot the other dads here... this hits right in the feels.

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    My 8-years-younger sister used to watch me play games just like this, my niece and nephew have done this, and I'm about to become a dad.

Triple feels.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    aww man, no release for PCs?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of rereading his linked post from her birth. Instant feels.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    this one claims the cuteness/awesome trophy, previously held by https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/03/19

• LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    I really like that we got a "Representation Matters" comic from Penny Arcade. It's always nice seeing how much Mike & Jerry have grown over the years, and being a parent has only improved their perspectives on this stuff.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I am married to the best ginger ever. This comic is accurate.

• AshguardAshguard Registered User new member
    Is it just me or is Tycho liking red hair for a whoooooole other reason?

Ashguard wrote: »

It's just you.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    The best part of having kids is being reminded of the bits of humanity growing up stripped from you. I have two goals in life for my kids: To grow up to be a better person than me, and for me to be a better person watching them do it.

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    CEOIII wrote: »
    Representation. IS. Important.

i hate that this comic reminds me of the bad people who don't want girls a to see themselves in games, comics, etc.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Well, I cried for 15 minutes. I don't think you have to be a dad for this to hit hard. Just human, and not so horribly run over by life that nothing touches you anymore.

Zomagic on
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    So much love for this. I know my life was changed when I read my first fantasy novel starring a young female protagonist (which was far more rare in the '80s than it is now). It really does matter.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Jerry's news post is also on point. Good stuff guys.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    OMIGOD. That's what HZD is... what if Brave and Wall-E were part of the SAME UNIVERSE. *posts Pixar conspiracy theories*

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    You don't need to engage with every idiot, every time.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    ironzerg wrote: »
    The best part of having kids is being reminded of the bits of humanity growing up stripped from you.

I think you're forgetting about the spare organs.

dennis on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i like dad strips because i know there are people who hate the dad strips, and this is the daddest strip ever

liEt3nH.png
    Tube wrote: »
    You don't need to engage with every idiot, every time.

Someone on the internet is wrong! I'm compelled.

• Akira13Akira13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Quid wrote: »

It's just you.

Well TBH he has stated on multiple occasions that he DOES like red hair for that "other" reason...... but certainly, that wouldn't necessarily apply in this particular circumstance.

Also, this might be one of the best drawn PA strips ever?

Akira13 on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Akira13 wrote: »

It's just you.

Well TBH he has stated on multiple occasions that he DOES like red hair for that "other" reason...... but certainly, that wouldn't apply in this particular circumstance.

I was just listening back through some of the older podcasts, and in the one for the strip about "Orange Is The New Black" Mike was basically teasing him about this, saying that all Jerry needed to know was that one of the women is a redhead with glasses.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Akira13Akira13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Akira13 wrote: »

It's just you.

Well TBH he has stated on multiple occasions that he DOES like red hair for that "other" reason...... but certainly, that wouldn't apply in this particular circumstance.

I was just listening back through some of the older podcasts, and in the one for the strip about "Orange Is The New Black" Mike was basically teasing him about this, saying that all Jerry needed to know was that one of the women is a redhead with glasses.

Yeah... I mean, there is a reason both his kids have red hair! (Because his wife does.) This strip may very well have been a double-meaning sort of a thing... saying it because he loves his daughter, but also because he likes redheads, which is fine because she's far too young to grasp the secondary implication. Remember, the "she" that is being directly referred to by both Ronia and Tycho in the third panel is the character Aloy from Horizon: Zero Dawn. Jerry often throws subtleties like that into the strip. So yeah, Ashguard wasn't necessarily that far off.

Akira13 on
  • wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Zomagic wrote: »
    Well, I cried for 15 minutes. I don't think you have to be a dad for this to hit hard. Just human, and not so horribly run over by life that nothing touches you anymore.

Agreed. Not a parent, but this comic definitely pulls at the heart strings.

The subtle details, how she scoots closer to dad, and the little heart over her head in the last panel really puts this over the top for me. I honestly think Mike and Jerry make one of the best comic strips of all time. And I don't just mean web comics, I put them right up there with Shultz, Larson, and Watterson.

wallywest on
  • AkabanderAkabander Registered User new member
    I have two boys in college now, the part in the News post that starts with "there's a montage" actually made me tear up. Damn you Tycho, thanks for the feels, man.

• lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    Awww. Can't wait till I have a kid.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I like that she's appropriately clothed and not hypersexualized.

• nefariousgiingernefariousgiinger Registered User new member
    This, by far, is my favorite comic. Almost 4 years ago now I came across this particular comic while my Dad was walking past. He smiled and, patting my shoulder, commented "reminds me of a little girl I know." Mind you, I'm in my 20's now but when I was little I would sit next to Dad and watch him play games all day, especially if they had red hair just like me.