As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Same but different [Chat]

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    He'll always have

Ted "Theodore" Logan for me.

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I think best Keanu was his stint into Kenneth Branagh's realm of Much Ado About Nothing

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I think best Keanu was his stint into Kenneth Branagh's realm of Much Ado About Nothing
    that bathing scene at the start
    that was an awakening

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    My boss has come by my desk, every half hour since 8:00 this morning, asking me where a quote is. Every half hour I ask the purchasing group in another state (who hate me now) and they say "we're at (x) process" like that fucking dominos delivery tracker.

I'm going insane.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So I'm annoyed.

I came home during lunch and caught some of my neighbor's kids going through my mailbox. They're just mailboxes on the front of our apartments next to our front door, but, they don't lock either because that'd cost the company money! These kids have been shits in the past 2 years, and they've done similar things. The neighbors already are actively combatant because I asked them to clean up after their shitty dog after it shit all over my front step and their 8 year old kid didn't have a bag to pick it up, and then got even worse after I let the complex manager know about it. They also walk their dog without a leash, which is a huge no no to begin with.

At this point I just want to throw the book at these douches but I have a feeling my tires are going to get slashed and my car is going to get fucked up. Messing with mail isn't a slap on the wrist like the other shit was either. I guess I should invest in a camera so I can catch them in the act too, when the inevitably fuck up my car.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Christian Bale has a Welsh accent but will do an American accent in interviews for movies where he's playing a character with an American accent.

And it's not clear if it's because he thinks American media and audiences are stupid, or because it's a marketing thing, or because he's cartoonishly devoted to method acting and doesn't stop doing that voice until he's emotionally done with that film

All are possibilities because he's an overrated dingus who is up his own ass.
    Is his American accent "I'm swallowing gravel" Batman? It's totally Batman, isn't it?

He actually has a few American accents he can do

But he will do whichever accent that is when he does interviews about that movie which is beyond stupid

They're not interviews with the character, Christian

I hate method actors.
    I like many of his movies. He's a prat but his movies are fun to watch...Well most of them.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I found out about his wife AFTER seeing John Wick.

The opening scene just seemed incredibly real. Turns out...

jungleroomx on
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Like he starts trying to effect an accent and then somewhere along the way he gives up

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Christian Bale has a Welsh accent but will do an American accent in interviews for movies where he's playing a character with an American accent.

And it's not clear if it's because he thinks American media and audiences are stupid, or because it's a marketing thing, or because he's cartoonishly devoted to method acting and doesn't stop doing that voice until he's emotionally done with that film

Is his American accent "I'm swallowing gravel" Batman? It's totally Batman, isn't it?

He actually has a few American accents he can do

But he will do whichever accent that is when he does interviews about that movie which is beyond stupid

They're not interviews with the character, Christian

I hate method actors.

I don't think it's that unusual for brit actors to cultivate either an American or a mid Atlantic accent for media purposes

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I just bought an arduino kit and a Bluetooth Low Energy Module

Paid for Saturday delivery

I'm either going to make a bed remote or be the star of Watchdogs 3

Did it include opto isolated IO? That's what need for making a programmatically controlled connection from one wire to another. You'll also want a voltmeter to determine signal polarity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8KOZF4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@Ludious this kit only comes with one 5v relay, which is only enough to replicate a single button and a relay isn't quite what you want. It's a bit slow and has a physical component not meant for this type of usage. You'll want a bank of 5 opto-isolators to translate the arduino's output voltages into wire connections or disconnections in order to interface with your bed.

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Shield-Opto-couple-Arduino-MEGA2560/dp/B015AI64I8

That might be overkill, since all you need to bridge is some signal wires, but this is the class of product you will need. It also has screw terminals so no soldering.

ok cool but then why does it come with an IR remote with a bunch of buttons?

Those are inputs to the arduino. Like, you click a button on the remote and the arduino, in the software you write, can see that button press. You then need to write some code that reacts to the button press by changing an output or doing a thing, anything. In your case you want to bridge the wires corresponding to one of the 4 bed buttons. You'd do that by connecting two bed wires to an opto, connecting the opto to an arduino digital output, then setting an arduino digital output high to effectively "hotwire" the bed. Then when the button on the remote is released, your code sets the output back low, to disconnect the wires.

ah ok. I thought I could just connect the wires to the breadbox and the breadbox to the arduino and then use one of the BLE apps on the appstore to make buttons

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    So I'm annoyed.

I came home during lunch and caught some of my neighbor's kids going through my mailbox. They're just mailboxes on the front of our apartments next to our front door, but, they don't lock either because that'd cost the company money! These kids have been shits in the past 2 years, and they've done similar things. The neighbors already are actively combatant because I asked them to clean up after their shitty dog after it shit all over my front step and their 8 year old kid didn't have a bag to pick it up, and then got even worse after I let the complex manager know about it. They also walk their dog without a leash, which is a huge no no to begin with.

At this point I just want to throw the book at these douches but I have a feeling my tires are going to get slashed and my car is going to get fucked up. Messing with mail isn't a slap on the wrist like the other shit was either. I guess I should invest in a camera so I can catch them in the act too, when the inevitably fuck up my car.

What little bastards. Pay AH to take them out in the woods.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    that bathing scene at the start
    that was an awakening

Here's Shakespeare! Here's an uncomfortable amount of naked!! Strap in folks! It gets better!

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

no it's more ranting about huey lewis

Well girlfriend.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Well girlfriend.

Well... don't get technical with me damnit...

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2017/02/24/president-donald-j-trump-cuts-through-more-red-tape

Well this is fucking stupid.

House Joint Resolution 41, to eliminate a costly regulation that threatened to put American mining and energy companies and their employees at an unfair disadvantage.

Next up Sony and Microsoft will be sanctioned to avoid putting Nintendo at an unfair advantage.

*squints*

That already happened, I think.
    FEBRUARY 24, 2017 AT 10:16 AM ET BY THE WHITE HOUSE
    Since day one, President Donald J. Trump has been cutting regulatory red tape in Washington in order to help the American people and increase efficiency. Costly regulations and job-stifling bureaucratic red tape have held back the American economy for far too long, and the President is committed to addressing this challenge directly.

On Friday, President Trump signed an Executive Order aimed at reforming Government regulation by requiring every agency to establish a Regulatory Reform Task Force to eliminate red tape.

Nope, today the EO was signed.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So I'm annoyed.

Squeal like a pig

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    My psych doesn't want to prescribe me another ssri because of my extreme reactions. I am saying basically, I get that but things aren't tenable. I am having suicidal thoughts and talk therapy isn't getting it done. And he is like, yes but your experiences with ssri's put you in even more acute crisis.

Idk. He is the expert but I kind of want to change doctors. What I'm doing now is not a winning strategy.

There's other anti-depressants that aren't SSRIs, are those not on the table for some reason?

He has so far only talked about ssri's. I just figured they were the most effective. I could try and advocate for something else.

They are first-line stuff, but there are a lot of other antidepressants with different mechanisms of action.

So I'm annoyed.

Squeal like a pig

"You boys ever been inside a bear before?"

syndalis wrote: »
    if you have an uber account, ok cupid or a fitbit, change your passwords immediately and change your password wherever you use it in combination with your email address.

this is a legit overwhelming task to me

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    wellbutrin (bupropion) is an NDRI, for example

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    dang digital ocean is in that least

well I got 2fac there so I'm not too worried

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Yesssss hot bath I missed you so

fuck gendered marketing

Well girlfriend.

Well... don't get technical with me damnit...

LOOK I RUN THE I *heart* Keanu Pacific Northwest division, we take this shit seriously.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Fun fact: in Phoenix, I worked at the Circle K that's in Bill and Ted.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Nah. I've always liked Keanu.

It's only recently I become a bit of fan though.

I've liked him.

But man, his life story is incredibly sad. And from what I've heard from anyone who has met him, he's a genuinely cool guy.

I have not heard his life story, I've just followed and thoroughly enjoyed his work

fuck gendered marketing
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    2 factor life

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I know for a fact I didn't change over half of the passwords I needed to when heartbleed happened and I didn't get haxored so I mean how serious is this?

Everyday looking out in the parking lot hoping Rufus was there to take you home.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    "change your password wherever you use it in combination with your email address" might be literally impossible tbh

I buy a lot of stuff online, I don't remember every site I've ever used

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Three days later, a second female stalker made her way into his home through a gate that was left unlocked by a cleaning company. The intruder undressed and took a shower in Reeves' bathroom and then proceeded to swim naked in his swimming pool. The cleaning crew became suspicious and alerted Reeves, who was not at home.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I just bought an arduino kit and a Bluetooth Low Energy Module

Paid for Saturday delivery

I'm either going to make a bed remote or be the star of Watchdogs 3

Did it include opto isolated IO? That's what need for making a programmatically controlled connection from one wire to another. You'll also want a voltmeter to determine signal polarity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8KOZF4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@Ludious this kit only comes with one 5v relay, which is only enough to replicate a single button and a relay isn't quite what you want. It's a bit slow and has a physical component not meant for this type of usage. You'll want a bank of 5 opto-isolators to translate the arduino's output voltages into wire connections or disconnections in order to interface with your bed.

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Shield-Opto-couple-Arduino-MEGA2560/dp/B015AI64I8

That might be overkill, since all you need to bridge is some signal wires, but this is the class of product you will need. It also has screw terminals so no soldering.

ok cool but then why does it come with an IR remote with a bunch of buttons?

Those are inputs to the arduino. Like, you click a button on the remote and the arduino, in the software you write, can see that button press. You then need to write some code that reacts to the button press by changing an output or doing a thing, anything. In your case you want to bridge the wires corresponding to one of the 4 bed buttons. You'd do that by connecting two bed wires to an opto, connecting the opto to an arduino digital output, then setting an arduino digital output high to effectively "hotwire" the bed. Then when the button on the remote is released, your code sets the output back low, to disconnect the wires.

ah ok. I thought I could just connect the wires to the breadbox and the breadbox to the arduino and then use one of the BLE apps on the appstore to make buttons

If the bed and arduino shared a power supply, and the bed's signals were 5 volts, maybe. But as is, you'll need a relay or opto for each "button" you want to press. Once you have optos or relays hooked to your arduino digital outs, and the bed wires hooked to the optos, then you have a viable hardware setup electrically. From there you might be able to cobble the thing together with arduino apps, I am not sure though. I've never used one.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Christ, this is why LastPass has been such a boon.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    credeiki i am remembering all the things the ladies say to me in the office

last time i wore my glasses one said i needed to wear those and more tight black tshirts

one calls me prince charming or prince eric (little mermaid) and just straight up and downs me with her eyes

@OnTheLastCastle do you ever confront them about it/do you mind?

What they are doing is not acceptable and I'd confront them if I were you.

I do mind being viewed in a sexualized way in a workplace environment, partially because, just no, partially because of the whole context surrounding everything where being a young and female-bodied person calls my physics/programming competency and authority into question, and I want to avoid that whenever possible.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

Everyday looking out in the parking lot hoping Rufus was there to take you home.

At least once a semester getting students from ASU in there for their scavenger hunt.

Also, robbed at gunpoint twice.

At least once a semester getting students from ASU in there for their scavenger hunt.

Also, robbed at gunpoint twice.

bogus

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I should really sign up for last pass or 1password or whatever the hell

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They need a third Bill & Ted.

It is time!

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My boss has come by my desk, every half hour since 8:00 this morning, asking me where a quote is. Every half hour I ask the purchasing group in another state (who hate me now) and they say "we're at (x) process" like that fucking dominos delivery tracker.

I'm going insane.

so where are we at on that quote

This discussion has been closed.