As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Same but different [Chat]

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2017/02/24/president-donald-j-trump-cuts-through-more-red-tape

Well this is fucking stupid.

House Joint Resolution 41, to eliminate a costly regulation that threatened to put American mining and energy companies and their employees at an unfair disadvantage.

Next up Sony and Microsoft will be sanctioned to avoid putting Nintendo at an unfair advantage.

*squints*

That already happened, I think.
    FEBRUARY 24, 2017 AT 10:16 AM ET BY THE WHITE HOUSE
    Since day one, President Donald J. Trump has been cutting regulatory red tape in Washington in order to help the American people and increase efficiency. Costly regulations and job-stifling bureaucratic red tape have held back the American economy for far too long, and the President is committed to addressing this challenge directly.

On Friday, President Trump signed an Executive Order aimed at reforming Government regulation by requiring every agency to establish a Regulatory Reform Task Force to eliminate red tape.

Nope, today the EO was signed.

No, the mining thing.
    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/115-2017/s51

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Yeah this is the last straw I am going full password manager everywhere I'm not using it already.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    kedinik wrote: »
    Three days later, a second female stalker made her way into his home through a gate that was left unlocked by a cleaning company. The intruder undressed and took a shower in Reeves' bathroom and then proceeded to swim naked in his swimming pool. The cleaning crew became suspicious and alerted Reeves, who was not at home.

Yeah he'd had this weird thing where people who broke into his house, he was very chill about the whole thing.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    They need a third Bill & Ted.

It is time!

Clever

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I just bought an arduino kit and a Bluetooth Low Energy Module

Paid for Saturday delivery

I'm either going to make a bed remote or be the star of Watchdogs 3

Did it include opto isolated IO? That's what need for making a programmatically controlled connection from one wire to another. You'll also want a voltmeter to determine signal polarity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8KOZF4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@Ludious this kit only comes with one 5v relay, which is only enough to replicate a single button and a relay isn't quite what you want. It's a bit slow and has a physical component not meant for this type of usage. You'll want a bank of 5 opto-isolators to translate the arduino's output voltages into wire connections or disconnections in order to interface with your bed.

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Shield-Opto-couple-Arduino-MEGA2560/dp/B015AI64I8

That might be overkill, since all you need to bridge is some signal wires, but this is the class of product you will need. It also has screw terminals so no soldering.

ok cool but then why does it come with an IR remote with a bunch of buttons?

Those are inputs to the arduino. Like, you click a button on the remote and the arduino, in the software you write, can see that button press. You then need to write some code that reacts to the button press by changing an output or doing a thing, anything. In your case you want to bridge the wires corresponding to one of the 4 bed buttons. You'd do that by connecting two bed wires to an opto, connecting the opto to an arduino digital output, then setting an arduino digital output high to effectively "hotwire" the bed. Then when the button on the remote is released, your code sets the output back low, to disconnect the wires.

ah ok. I thought I could just connect the wires to the breadbox and the breadbox to the arduino and then use one of the BLE apps on the appstore to make buttons

If the bed and arduino shared a power supply, and the bed's signals were 5 volts, maybe. But as is, you'll need a relay or opto for each "button" you want to press. Once you have optos or relays hooked to your arduino digital outs, and the bed wires hooked to the optos, then you have a viable hardware setup electrically. From there you might be able to cobble the thing together with arduino apps, I am not sure though. I've never used one.

What do you think the chances are I could crack open the original bed remote, pull out the circuit board in it and connect it between the arduino and bed in place of an opto

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I don't think I actually even understand how those password manager things work.

edited February 2017
    According to an interview Reeves did promoting JW2, they are in preliminary on B&T 3, like they have a script and they resurrected Alex Winter.

Lewis Black is replacing Rufus because they fucked up and Trump got elected.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2017/02/24/president-donald-j-trump-cuts-through-more-red-tape

Well this is fucking stupid.

House Joint Resolution 41, to eliminate a costly regulation that threatened to put American mining and energy companies and their employees at an unfair disadvantage.

Next up Sony and Microsoft will be sanctioned to avoid putting Nintendo at an unfair advantage.

*squints*

That already happened, I think.
    FEBRUARY 24, 2017 AT 10:16 AM ET BY THE WHITE HOUSE
    Since day one, President Donald J. Trump has been cutting regulatory red tape in Washington in order to help the American people and increase efficiency. Costly regulations and job-stifling bureaucratic red tape have held back the American economy for far too long, and the President is committed to addressing this challenge directly.

On Friday, President Trump signed an Executive Order aimed at reforming Government regulation by requiring every agency to establish a Regulatory Reform Task Force to eliminate red tape.

Nope, today the EO was signed.

No, the mining thing.
    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/115-2017/s51

Ah, I misread. They just relisted that stuff next to the EO as part of stuff the president has done.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    According to an interview Reeves did promoting JW2, they are in preliminary on B&T 3, like they have a script and they resurrected Alex Winter.

the resurrected both of them in the second Bill and Ted movie!

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Yeah this is the last straw I am going full password manager everywhere I'm not using it already.

How is that better?

Also how does that work?

fuck gendered marketing
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I like how cats, when their "flight" response gets triggered they switch into turbo flight until they get somewhere they can hide.

We had one that got a bag stuck around its neck and bolted around our apartment for about 10 minutes then settled on hiding, on top of the kitchen cabinets in the corner that was hard to reach.

As soon as I found her and got the bag off she freaked the fuck out at the noise and bolted again.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I don't think I actually even understand how those password manager things work.

they use the warrens of magic to store your passwords and the demons guarding the gateways recognize your smell and put the password in for you

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure 3: Bill got Old and Ted's Immortal

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
    Someone sell me on lastpass or 1password or one of those things. One of them lets you keep the archive yourself so even if they themselves get hacked you're still good to go right?

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

au0lhramci80.jpg

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

Reeves has said the script has been done for at least three years now. I know since JW1 came out.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    "change your password wherever you use it in combination with your email address" might be literally impossible tbh

I buy a lot of stuff online, I don't remember every site I've ever used

look into 1 password or similar so that you can have unique secure passwords for each account

you can change them over time

Someone sell me on lastpass or 1password or one of those things. One of them lets you keep the archive yourself so even if they themselves get hacked you're still good to go right?

It's super easy and the browser plugins work great for 1password. You have a vault key and a master password, you need both to "unlock" it. The chances of it being compromised is slim to none.

Super easy to use. I mostly stick to just using the web version.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    if you have an uber account, ok cupid or a fitbit, change your passwords immediately and change your password wherever you use it in combination with your email address.

Done. Thanks for the heads up broski.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    They need a third Bill & Ted.

It is time!

Maybe get ILM to make up a CGI Rufus to fill in for the deceased George Carlin.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I just bought an arduino kit and a Bluetooth Low Energy Module

Paid for Saturday delivery

I'm either going to make a bed remote or be the star of Watchdogs 3

Did it include opto isolated IO? That's what need for making a programmatically controlled connection from one wire to another. You'll also want a voltmeter to determine signal polarity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8KOZF4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@Ludious this kit only comes with one 5v relay, which is only enough to replicate a single button and a relay isn't quite what you want. It's a bit slow and has a physical component not meant for this type of usage. You'll want a bank of 5 opto-isolators to translate the arduino's output voltages into wire connections or disconnections in order to interface with your bed.

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Shield-Opto-couple-Arduino-MEGA2560/dp/B015AI64I8

That might be overkill, since all you need to bridge is some signal wires, but this is the class of product you will need. It also has screw terminals so no soldering.

ok cool but then why does it come with an IR remote with a bunch of buttons?

Those are inputs to the arduino. Like, you click a button on the remote and the arduino, in the software you write, can see that button press. You then need to write some code that reacts to the button press by changing an output or doing a thing, anything. In your case you want to bridge the wires corresponding to one of the 4 bed buttons. You'd do that by connecting two bed wires to an opto, connecting the opto to an arduino digital output, then setting an arduino digital output high to effectively "hotwire" the bed. Then when the button on the remote is released, your code sets the output back low, to disconnect the wires.

ah ok. I thought I could just connect the wires to the breadbox and the breadbox to the arduino and then use one of the BLE apps on the appstore to make buttons

If the bed and arduino shared a power supply, and the bed's signals were 5 volts, maybe. But as is, you'll need a relay or opto for each "button" you want to press. Once you have optos or relays hooked to your arduino digital outs, and the bed wires hooked to the optos, then you have a viable hardware setup electrically. From there you might be able to cobble the thing together with arduino apps, I am not sure though. I've never used one.

What do you think the chances are I could crack open the original bed remote, pull out the circuit board in it and connect it between the arduino and bed in place of an opto

Close to zero. The original bed remote has momentary switches inside, basically fancy hot wiring, nothing that would help you interface two incompatible electrical systems like an opto or relay would.

If you describe the way the hotwiring works, how many wires there are, what colors, which wire you press to which to make each thing happen, etc, I can draw you a diagram.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

1. Give me all your account credentials
    2. I'll put them into a vault and will be available to retrieve them for you at any time

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    I appear to have gathered quite a bit of heat in Fallen London

Anyone who might be willing to kindly explain to the police that I am actually a fine upstanding citizen not at all related to any of those burglaries recently?

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Looks like starting in april I will be doing some sort of gui programming in c/c++

This would be cool and interesting but the existing codebase apparently no longer builds, and the guy who 'owns' it works out of a different office, so it's all rather concerning.

I mean also of course I do not actually speak c but I know what a pointer is and I know FORTRAN so I'm sure it's fine...

Steam, LoL: credeiki

Reeves has said the script has been done for at least three years now. I know since JW1 came out.

Look I'm trying to have hope you wild man.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

So basically:

Encryption is the act of taking something and rendering it unreadable unless authorized parties have some bit of information to decode it. Password managers are programs that let you make a database of all your passwords, then render them unreadable unless you have the key (usually a master password, can be a physical file or both or whatever). They usually also have functionality to generate random passwords for you - this allows you to never reuse passwords, and as long as you have access to the database, you can get in wherever. Rather than using the same password everywhere, you just access your database, input your master password, and then the program can (usually) help you log in. It's functionally the same for you, but no passwords are reused, so hacking one person who has your info won't render all of the sites where you used that password compromised.

The main worry would be someone getting ahold of your database and also your master key, but databases are (in any worthwhile manager) NOT stored in a centralized location (I use KeePass, the databases are stored where I want them to be), and your master key should be something really good.

I am out of steam so you get 1/2 an explanation.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I don't remember if it was Winter or Keanu (I believe it was Keanu) who said "Like I want it to be a story of how these two were supposed to be the second coming of Jesus but like still haven't written that song or gone to mars or anything and now they're in their late 40s and like OH SHIT" Like basically none of the newspaper stuff at the end of Bogus Journey has happened yet.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    "change your password wherever you use it in combination with your email address" might be literally impossible tbh

look into 1 password or similar so that you can have unique secure passwords for each account

I can't even identify the accounts I have, though. There are way too many. That's the main issue.

password management would help going forward. honestly the easiest thing to do? change my CC number. that's still a huge pain in the ass though for all the stuff I have on auto pay.

modern life is hard.

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

That's amazing

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    @Ludious You don't need to care about the bed side of the electronics, you just need to recreate the set of switches that was the original wired remote. (connecting the green wire to one of the other four wires to make the bed do shit)

the trick is, you have no idea what kind of signal/voltage is running through the bed's wires, and you don't want to run that through your arduino since it might fry shit

so you need a relay or optocoupler, which are basically electronically controlled switches. the bed's wires sit over on the switching end, and the arduino's circuits just tell the switch to flip on or off, and they never have to touch each other

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I appear to have gathered quite a bit of heat in Fallen London

Anyone who might be willing to kindly explain to the police that I am actually a fine upstanding citizen not at all related to any of those burglaries recently?

Confound the Constables, under Opportunism in Spite, with Airs of London 0-25

...I suppose I am not doing anything shady at the moment and will accept a small amount of suspicion from you if you want (credeiki in-game as well)

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    gIvieIQ.png?1

Well

I can't disagree

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    1) if i hand over my life to 1password, what are the consequences if the application ever goes belly up?
    2) suppose i use 1password to generate and store strong passwords for everything (from forums to shopping websites to banks and credit cards), and then i use 2FA on both of my gmail accounts. is there anything else i should/need to do?
    3) should my gmail accounts have strong, independent passwords like my 1password vault or should i just generate and store their passwords in 1pass also?

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I always just want to hug Keanu Reeves but also he has had a lot of stalkers so I'd just leave him be

I can't even identify the accounts I have, though. There are way too many. That's the main issue.

password management would help going forward. honestly the easiest thing to do? change my CC number. that's still a huge pain in the ass though for all the stuff I have on auto pay.

modern life is hard.

Pour through the common ones, pick up 1password, move everything into that and change your passwords there and make them unique to the website. I wouldn't worry too much about the credit card. Just keep an eye out for bogus charges.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Thanks everyone that was a really good explanation train

fuck gendered marketing
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Looks like starting in april I will be doing some sort of gui programming in c/c++

This would be cool and interesting but the existing codebase apparently no longer builds, and the guy who 'owns' it works out of a different office, so it's all rather concerning.

I mean also of course I do not actually speak c but I know what a pointer is and I know FORTRAN so I'm sure it's fine...

:bigfrown:

modern life is hard.

Also if you change your CC number on say netflix or something it auto updates so they've still got your info.

Like my wife's card got compromised so they sent her a new one and when we logged into Netflix and a few other sources the new cards 4 digits were already in there. Same with ATT.

I called the bank, and it's not a bug, it's a feature for ease on the customer!

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »

So basically:

Encryption is the act of taking something and rendering it unreadable unless authorized parties have some bit of information to decode it. Password managers are programs that let you make a database of all your passwords, then render them unreadable unless you have the key (usually a master password, can be a physical file or both or whatever). They usually also have functionality to generate random passwords for you - this allows you to never reuse passwords, and as long as you have access to the database, you can get in wherever. Rather than using the same password everywhere, you just access your database, input your master password, and then the program can (usually) help you log in. It's functionally the same for you, but no passwords are reused, so hacking one person who has your info won't render all of the sites where you used that password compromised.

The main worry would be someone getting ahold of your database and also your master key, but databases are (in any worthwhile manager) NOT stored in a centralized location (I use KeePass, the databases are stored where I want them to be), and your master key should be something really good.

I am out of steam so you get 1/2 an explanation.

Oh also the programs will generate long passwords so due to complex technical reasons any website with half good security getting hacked will leave you with months to years before your specific password is even cracked, if they even decide it's worth it.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

modern life is hard.

Also if you change your CC number on say netflix or something it auto updates so they've still got your info.

Like my wife's card got compromised so they sent her a new one and when we logged into Netflix and a few other sources the new cards 4 digits were already in there. Same with ATT.

I called the bank, and it's not a bug, it's a feature for ease on the customer!

I have literally never had this happen, huh

This discussion has been closed.