As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Same but different [Chat]

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    So It Goes wrote: »
    "change your password wherever you use it in combination with your email address" might be literally impossible tbh

I buy a lot of stuff online, I don't remember every site I've ever used

look into 1 password or similar so that you can have unique secure passwords for each account

you can change them over time

I can't even identify the accounts I have, though. There are way too many. That's the main issue.

password management would help going forward. honestly the easiest thing to do? change my CC number. that's still a huge pain in the ass though for all the stuff I have on auto pay.

modern life is hard.

Just using it going forward and protecting your email and bank accounts is a huge deal and would be good for peace of mind!

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    B&T fucking up the time stream is a perfect way to explain Trump

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    1) if i hand over my life to 1password, what are the consequences if the application ever goes belly up?
    2) suppose i use 1password to generate and store strong passwords for everything (from forums to shopping websites to banks and credit cards), and then i use 2FA on both of my gmail accounts. is there anything else i should/need to do?
    3) should my gmail accounts have strong, independent passwords like my 1password vault or should i just generate and store their passwords in 1pass also?

1) not a problem, just keep their application set up on your computer and I think you should be good as long as you remember the codes to unlock it
    2) nope, 2FA is more than enough in most cases. You need a significant MITM attack to break 2FA
    3) you can store it in 1password, if that makes you feel better, but 2FA sort of breaks the ability to hack a service

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    "change your password wherever you use it in combination with your email address" might be literally impossible tbh

look into 1 password or similar so that you can have unique secure passwords for each account

I can't even identify the accounts I have, though. There are way too many. That's the main issue.

password management would help going forward. honestly the easiest thing to do? change my CC number. that's still a huge pain in the ass though for all the stuff I have on auto pay.

modern life is hard.

Also if you change your CC number on say netflix or something it auto updates so they've still got your info.

Like my wife's card got compromised so they sent her a new one and when we logged into Netflix and a few other sources the new cards 4 digits were already in there. Same with ATT.

I called the bank, and it's not a bug, it's a feature for ease on the customer!

I have literally never had this happen, huh

I don't know if it was a visa thing or a wells fargo thing but it definitely happened to us

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    According to an interview Reeves did promoting JW2, they are in preliminary on B&T 3, like they have a script and they resurrected Alex Winter.

Lewis Black is replacing Rufus because they fucked up and Trump got elected.

au0lhramci80.jpg

Alex winter looks like terminator 2 cop only...a little melted

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Cmon Geth.

Hook a brotha up

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I always just want to hug Keanu Reeves but also he has had a lot of stalkers so I'd just leave him be

Just make sure there are no pencils around and go for it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

modern life is hard.

yeah but every time you log in somewhere it'll pop up all eager like HEY WANT ME TO SAVE THIS SHIT

and then you can be like oh yeah this is a shit password, let's update it to some gibberish real quick and save it to the vault

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I hope geth added me to the super secret approved list because I've got a great chat already drafted.

• Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    I know for a fact I didn't change over half of the passwords I needed to when heartbleed happened and I didn't get haxored so I mean how serious is this?

It's as serious as you'd like to take it. It's unlikely that the data from one particular user (you) on one particular site was leaked. As with any leak, only a fraction of user data was compromised. It's really a matter of how responsible your internet habits are, and how much risk is acceptable to you.

If you use a unique username and password everywhere, you may be more inclined to just throw away the account. If you use the same username and password everywhere, and that data was leaked, your entire internet presence is compromised.

• Options
    you can have it if it's mine AH

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    @syndalis convinced me to do it not to long ago and I do not regret using 1password yet

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Everyone let me tell you about One Punch Man

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    you can have it if it's mine AH

For some beads right?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Quid I trusted you

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Quid wrote: »

is good

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Yeah this is the last straw I am going full password manager everywhere I'm not using it already.

How is that better?

Also how does that work?

1) you have a different, strong, password for every single site / account /whatever. So someone using this exploit to get your reddit password doesn't get them into anything else (o nos not mah reddits)

2) you have a list of all your accounts so you know what to go change if need be

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Quid I trusted you

No no it's really good

• Options
    Quid I trusted you

Never trust Quid, he doesn't pay his taxes, he doesn't pick you up in borderlands. Man's a monster.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    1 password costs money! what is this sham!

• Options
    Like imagine the creators of DBZ Abridged got actual funding from a studio

• Options
    edited February 2017
    James wrote: »
    I know for a fact I didn't change over half of the passwords I needed to when heartbleed happened and I didn't get haxored so I mean how serious is this?

It's as serious as you'd like to take it. It's unlikely that the data from one particular user (you) on one particular site was leaked. As with any leak, only a fraction of user data was compromised. It's really a matter of how responsible your internet habits are, and how much risk is acceptable to you.

If you use a unique username and password everywhere, you may be more inclined to just throw away the account. If you use the same username and password everywhere, and that data was leaked, your entire internet presence is compromised.

I mean I don't keep it completely separated but I do have like six passwords in rotation.

edit: across three or four e-mail addresses

amateurhour on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What would happen if he punched himself?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    According to an interview Reeves did promoting JW2, they are in preliminary on B&T 3, like they have a script and they resurrected Alex Winter.

Lewis Black is replacing Rufus because they fucked up and Trump got elected.

au0lhramci80.jpg

Alex winter looks like terminator 2 cop only...a little melted

To be fair, so does the actual t2 cop.

• Options
    Like imagine the creators of DBZ Abridged got actual funding from a studio

WANNN PAAAAAANCH

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    This is how the [chat] ends.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    An i me

An i me

• Options
    Summon the Meteors

• Options
    lastpass appears to be free. Basically the same thing?

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I just bought an arduino kit and a Bluetooth Low Energy Module

Paid for Saturday delivery

I'm either going to make a bed remote or be the star of Watchdogs 3

Did it include opto isolated IO? That's what need for making a programmatically controlled connection from one wire to another. You'll also want a voltmeter to determine signal polarity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8KOZF4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@Ludious this kit only comes with one 5v relay, which is only enough to replicate a single button and a relay isn't quite what you want. It's a bit slow and has a physical component not meant for this type of usage. You'll want a bank of 5 opto-isolators to translate the arduino's output voltages into wire connections or disconnections in order to interface with your bed.

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Shield-Opto-couple-Arduino-MEGA2560/dp/B015AI64I8

That might be overkill, since all you need to bridge is some signal wires, but this is the class of product you will need. It also has screw terminals so no soldering.

ok cool but then why does it come with an IR remote with a bunch of buttons?

Those are inputs to the arduino. Like, you click a button on the remote and the arduino, in the software you write, can see that button press. You then need to write some code that reacts to the button press by changing an output or doing a thing, anything. In your case you want to bridge the wires corresponding to one of the 4 bed buttons. You'd do that by connecting two bed wires to an opto, connecting the opto to an arduino digital output, then setting an arduino digital output high to effectively "hotwire" the bed. Then when the button on the remote is released, your code sets the output back low, to disconnect the wires.

ah ok. I thought I could just connect the wires to the breadbox and the breadbox to the arduino and then use one of the BLE apps on the appstore to make buttons

If the bed and arduino shared a power supply, and the bed's signals were 5 volts, maybe. But as is, you'll need a relay or opto for each "button" you want to press. Once you have optos or relays hooked to your arduino digital outs, and the bed wires hooked to the optos, then you have a viable hardware setup electrically. From there you might be able to cobble the thing together with arduino apps, I am not sure though. I've never used one.

What do you think the chances are I could crack open the original bed remote, pull out the circuit board in it and connect it between the arduino and bed in place of an opto

Close to zero. The original bed remote has momentary switches inside, basically fancy hot wiring, nothing that would help you interface two incompatible electrical systems like an opto or relay would.

If you describe the way the hotwiring works, how many wires there are, what colors, which wire you press to which to make each thing happen, etc, I can draw you a diagram.

5 wires. Green is a part of every combo.

Green Brown: Feet Go Down
    Green Yellow: Feet go up
    Green Red: Head goes up
    Green Black: Head goes down

There's a head up/down button
    a feet up/down button
    and a both at the same time up/down button

• Options

Not with a whisper, but a wang.

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Not with a bang but a

(User was warned for this post)

• Options

https://youtu.be/0BUAyhD0q8Q

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I always just want to hug Keanu Reeves but also he has had a lot of stalkers so I'd just leave him be

i haven't seen 2 yet don't ruin this shit for me preacher

• Options
    not like this

not like this

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    important thing to remember about 1password: you aren't trusting that company to store all your shit securely on their servers. The program encrypts your data and keeps it on your computer. It has built in integration with DropBox if you want to then use DropBox to be able to access these encrypted files from multiple computers or devices.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    C H A O S

I S

E T E R N A L

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

i haven't seen 2 yet don't ruin this shit for me preacher
    That was a story from the first movie, although it is referenced in the second movie.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2017
    Elldren wrote: »
    Yeah this is the last straw I am going full password manager everywhere I'm not using it already.

How is that better?

Also how does that work?

1) you have a different, strong, password for every single site / account /whatever. So someone using this exploit to get your reddit password doesn't get them into anything else (o nos not mah reddits)

2) you have a list of all your accounts so you know what to go change if need be

Oh yeah, it'll store all your sites too

Shivahn on
  • Options
    Geth is slackin, SIG.

This discussion has been closed.