As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[13th Age West Marches] The Adventurers' Guild Thread: Character Creation and Discussion

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Depending on the day, I could play in a Roll20 game myself. Just need advance notice.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I doubt I could play in a roll20 game, due to timezone and all.

• Options
    I can do another PBP. Like I said, it doesn't take much time to update the thread.

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Let's see if I did this right, Zariya, Tiefling Paladin, and for starting GP

Geth, roll 1d6

Edit: can't all be winners :?

1d6 1 [1d6=1]

Hellbore on
  • Options
    One suggestion, for your background, these act as skills and you can only use one for a skill check so it's suggested that you have a wide variety of backgrounds. The City Guardsmen and Bodyguard seem pretty close (especially with them both being 3) so maybe turn one of them into something a bit more... Different

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I want to play for sure, just waiting on a roll20 thing to hopefully come together.

I sent you a private message; you should read it!

I initially missed it, sorry, I just replied!

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    A nice set of paladins we're making. I want a paladins only run at some point!

• Options
    I see a circle jerk of lay-on-hands coming.

:winky:

• Options
    One suggestion, for your background, these act as skills and you can only use one for a skill check so it's suggested that you have a wide variety of backgrounds. The City Guardsmen and Bodyguard seem pretty close (especially with them both being 3) so maybe turn one of them into something a bit more... Different

That's the part I was having trouble picking up, so good to get some input. I'll edit after I get off work

• Options
    Hellbore wrote: »

That's the part I was having trouble picking up, so good to get some input. I'll edit after I get off work

Yeah, and don't think inside the box either. You can have a background as a school teacher. You can be a seamstress. You can be whatever. Sometimes those strange skills become important. My To game had someone who had geologist as a background and could tell how long ruins had been there by the stone used in the ruins.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Oh I was just going by the SRD, I must've misread the background part. I thought they were prescribed by class.

Hellbore on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I think my 'farmboy' background is descriptive enough to get what kind of flavor I am going for with August, as well as being broad enough to encompass a good amount of experiences and skills with general 'outdoorsy' and manual activities.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    No, backgrounds are basically what major stuff your character has been apart of.

So like, for some of my other games I've ran, I've seen backgrounds like Mechanical Genius (or Madman?) or Not so Secret Squirrel (this character was literally a talking squirrel druid that shapeshift into a bear), Majicks most foul!, 21st Age Schoolgirl, stuff like that. Be creative with what your background is and don't think that your class has anything to do with your background. Like, sure, reference what set you on the path to be a paladin, like "Knight of the 7 Divines" or something, but if your character likes to drink, a background could be "Life, Love, Lager". Trust me, you'll find some way to use those skills, no matter how ridiculous they sound. Gamers like to game like that.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Ok here, is the updated sheet.

The idea is that, prior to her turn to the law, she was left for dead in the streets after a beating, and was taken in by a healer, whom she agreed to assist after her care was complete.

Hellbore on
  • Options
    All those still in town see this event happen, those on adventures do not...

In the Adventurers' Guild Hall, everyone is talking, making plans, drinking, and whatever else they seem to want to do. Suddenly, the door opens up and The Guide hobbles in on his crutches and peg leg. He goes to the bulletin board, takes a slip of paper and a piece of charcoal nearby and scribbles a short note then pins the paper on the board with a nail. He turns to everyone and say "Some of our hunters have gone missing in the forest to the west. I'm willing to pay for anyone to find them and let me know of their fates. If you can bring them home safe, I'll pay more." and he hobbles out of the hall.

New Adventure on the Board, second post of this thread. First come first served to those who want it.

• Options
    seljin468seljin468 Registered User regular
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3 I'd like to play plz

I'd like to play plz:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 9 [4d6k3=[5, 2, 2], 1] 16 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 4], 1] 15 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 4], 2] 12 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 2], 2] 9 [4d6k3=[4, 3, 2], 1] 10 [4d6k3=[4, 3, 3], 3]

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Bud Human Monk.

I'd appreciate someone more familiar with this given it a look over. If I'm understanding Flurry correctly, I get to make a flurry attack as a quick action in addition to my normal attack once the Escalation Die is 2+ correct?

And the whole backgrounds/icons thing I'm a bit shaky on.

4e19aaf7c6be915b31924248d7349f3d.jpg

Bud, son of Hoss, Grew up as a rancher on the outskirts of the Havenhold.

A big boy who worked a hard job since he was a kid, he grew up with the kind of physical gifts that most men can't match even with intense training. By the time his father passed, Bud though not quite yet an adult had accept the simple life of raising cattle that seemed to be before him. Until a year of bad drought killed most the herd, and the local predators desperate for prey finished off the rest.

Bud was forced to go into the city and look for work, eventually spending time as a miner at The Boss's mine. His raw imposing size and strength saved him from most the cruelties inflicted on the other miners, and he still carries a far more rose colored view of his time there, and The Boss(whom he's never met) and his crew in general.

One night, when he was in town drinking up his pay, an activity he had grown over fond of since coming to the city, he broke up a bar fight at the Hag and Slash. This caused The Barkeep to offer him steady work as a bouncer.[is this too connected to the Icon? I am a bit fuzzy on the idea behind them] Seeing better pay, easier work, and greater proximity to the beer he had grown to love. He accepted and spent several years there. Eventually a regular patron offered him a chance to use his size and strength to make some extra money on the side, and he engaged in a brief but glorious stint as a fighter for a underground fighting club.

Until one night Bud, flamboyantly dressed, loaded to the gills on suds, and perhaps more concussed from that night's bought than he'd showed, passed out in an alleyway. He awoke in the pre-dawn gloom to a orphan attempting to steal his purse, and lashed out in an instant of confused half awake fury. As the boy lay on the pavement blood pooling around him, horror washed over Bud. He picked up the small body and wandered around the alleyways of the city yelling for help.

His stumbling eventually lead him to The Martyrs kitchen, where some cooks up early to bake the morning bread brought him and the child inside, and summoned a healer to care for the boy. As Bud sat there, near catatonic from the shock, hangover, and lingering head trauma, finely dressed and adorned with jewelry he broke. He gave away all his fancy clothes and jewels to the kitchen, taking only kitchen whites to wear and keeping only a small number of possessions with sentimental value, and dedicated all his time to helping the orphans. And this new moral purpose, and sobriety perhaps, has unlocked the spiritual ki powers in him.

Bud is a strong supporter of the Expansion, knowing first hand that taming the wild lands around the city is needed so that those who live here can avoid starvation. He joined the Adventurers Guild in order to acquire wealth to be donated to the poor and perhaps rebuild the small bit of land(near totally reclaimed by nature) he still owns into a boys ranch.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    That's pretty cool, I'll give you that.

I don't know about the base game but the Icons of Havenhold are much closer to ordinary folk, I'm sure knowing the Barkeep is fine.

In fact, maybe the Barkeep knows everyone.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    I like that Bud has a ten gallon hat. Cowboy Kung-Fu is just the best.

In other news, helping my friend with his necromancer has made me realize that Necros are OP.

• Options
    Also @tinwhiskers Icon Relationships are rated by number and positive, negative, and conflicted for how you feel about them and how they might feel about you. Doesn't matter if they know you, this also represents how members of groups associated with them view you too, and vice versa.

Although I think all your relationships seem to be positive.

• Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    You character might know mine. I went through training for the Guardsmen, then quit to join up with the Guide's crew after I won an archery contest. The Captain isn't exactly happy with me about that.

Yeah, probably!
    The hunters that move back and forth across the town wall are pretty well known by the guardsmen anyway.
    So yeah my guy definitely knows your guy although he doesn't really understand why you'd leave the wall.

• Options
    All those still in town see this event happen, those on adventures do not...

In the Adventurers' Guild Hall, everyone is talking, making plans, drinking, and whatever else they seem to want to do. Suddenly, the door opens up and The Guide hobbles in on his crutches and peg leg. He goes to the bulletin board, takes a slip of paper and a piece of charcoal nearby and scribbles a short note then pins the paper on the board with a nail. He turns to everyone and say "Some of our hunters have gone missing in the forest to the west. I'm willing to pay for anyone to find them and let me know of their fates. If you can bring them home safe, I'll pay more." and he hobbles out of the hall.

New Adventure on the Board, second post of this thread. First come first served to those who want it.

Guile immediately stands, walks to the notice and signs.

"I don't know if anyone else is willing to come, but I'll bring those men home by myself if I have to.", he announces to the crowd.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Bud lifts himself up from a table, his chair groaning a sigh of relief.

I will help you return these men home to their families.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options

• Options
    opps

• Options
    tsam4vydyr70.pdf

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Mort (kinda dead high elf necro/bard) comes in, hearing there was coin to be made and hunters saved. If he has a chance to help the dryads interests along the way, well, that might go towards smoothing that relationship. Lute out he plays a ribald song for those present, hoping to get their spirits up and ready to head out. It's been so long since he had to eat he isn't too concerned with making "preparations."

• Options
    Zariya turns from the bar as The Guide leaves, her armor clinking softly and walks up to the board.

I've heard rumors of goings on in the woods. I will come as well, to see for myself if this is connected.

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3 If you guys've got room

If you guys've got room:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 12 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 3], 2] 12 [4d6k3=[5, 5, 2], 1] 13 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 2], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 2], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 3], 2] 8 [4d6k3=[5, 2, 1], 1]

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    There is always room. It's how the game works.

So group two is Guile, Bud, Mort, and Zariya? I'm going to sleep after a rough night at work then come back this afternoon and put up a thread unless another GM wants to take it.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Mort: I look forward to the song I will sing upon our return. (the dogs sorta rotting tail is wagging eagerly behind him too)

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Geth roll 1d6 GOLD

Edit: An initial look at GARFER BARGARFERSEN, druidic dwarf.

GOLD:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • Options
    BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Updated my sheet to use text instead of the pdf, too much of a pain on mobile.

I also fixed my icons and gear a little, switched from the guide to the barkeep

Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Options
    Slypher reposted for ease.

• Options
  • Options
    doomybear wrote: »
    Geth roll 1d6 GOLD

Edit: An initial look at GARFER BARGARFERSEN, druidic dwarf.

Sorry, I finally got around to looking at your sheet...

Hirsute "Hairy" Dwarf isn't a good OUT, to be honest...

Like... I know that I'm going loose with OUTs when compared to the RAW OUTs of 13th Age, but you got to give me something more. Like, is being hairy all that your character is? He doesn't have a hobby or hasn't got something that pushed him towards being an adventurer?

You have Greater Regeneration and Wild Heal as spells. And you get Barkskin for Terran Caster.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Terrain caster doesn't get specific daily spells. They get X number of daily spells, and the one they cast is determined by what terrain they're in. You're a level 1 terrain caster, your daily spell is Barkskin if cast in the woods, inevitable collapse if cast in ruins, the big muddy if cast in the swamp, etc.

And for a level 1 adept wild healer druid, you have 1/battle regen, 1/day regen, 1/day wild heal. The adventurer feat gives a 1/battle wild heal, but that char sheet doesn't have that. You don't get a daily greater regen until level 2.

I actually have this same combo(adept healer, initiate terrain caster) in my home game. It's a fun character.

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Looks like we have enough people to run a third group. I'll take the first four interested players for a PbP.

An older gentleman walks into the bar, and orders a drink. He sports a white beard going to his belt, and an old grey robe that hangs at his ankles. You recognize him as Latinus the Crier. He finishes his drink, stands, and bangs his cup on the counter.

"Old man Nicolaus is hiring able-bodied fighting men to help him clear out a goblin camp near his plantation."

"A strange white tower has appeared due-east of Havenhold. Local hunters complain of strange weather and frequent lightning; a concerned townsperson offers a bounty of one hundred and eleven gold pieces."

***"Local farmsteads are suffering from a string of disappearances. Farmer Nero is offering a generous bounty for the recovery of his wife."

"Interested parties are to direct inquiries to The Barkeep." With that, the crier leaves.

***: Changed to fit lore

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    Yo'guard the Madden

So far the adventuring thing seemed boring. Missing hunters, thieves stealing from The Boss. So far it all was so... normal. But hearing Latinus the Crier talk about a mysterious strange tower cause his attention. "Now that sounds like something I might be interested in." The gnome stood up on his table (which meant only those who where sitting near him could see him) and yelled out "I CALL DIBS ON THAT TOWER!!!!" Then he thought about it. "But I could take some like minded folks who don't mind boring talks on the complexities of Helfolgers' Theory on Flex Capacities in a Dire Vortex!"

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Slypher looks at Yo'guard and then at Latinus "I'll go"

seljin468 on