As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles PaesanoRegistered User regular
edited April 2022 in Games and Technology
In a lush, post-apocalyptic world where nature has reclaimed the ruins of a forgotten civilization, pockets of humanity live on in primitive hunter-gatherer tribes. Their dominion over the new wilderness has been usurped by the Machines – fearsome mechanical creatures of unknown origin that roam the land in packs and threaten all who encroach upon their territory. As Aloy, a human hunter and archer, you must journey into the sprawling landscape to discover its history, do battle with all manner of beasts, expand your arsenal through crafting, and interact with a diverse cast of characters.

Welcome… to Jurassic Par- shit, no. I meant to say, Welcome… to the jaw-droppingly gorgeous world of:

3h14auprv4eu.png

The new project (and new IP!) from Guerrilla Games, former developers of Killzone and absolute technical wizards, Horizon releases on Tuesday, February 28 and by all accounts is looking like a brilliantly realized story-driven action-RPG and a must-play introduction to Sony’s newest franchise-to-be. It features 40+ hours of hunting, crafting, leveling, questing, climbing, riding, trap-setting, arrow-slinging, collecting, and dialogue-tree-ing; it has towers to climb and encampments to scout out and attack; it has (what reviewers have said is) a deep narrative that pulls you in and actually pays off; and it’s coated in polish and smooth as silk.

I thought it was absurd that we didn’t have a thread for this, because I know my fellow PS4 owners must be as excited as I am, so feel free to share screenshots and videos and stories about your travels and strategies once we all dive in on Tuesday. According to reviews, this game is going to be something special.

Here are a few of 'em:
  • Polygon gives it a 9.5
  • Giant Bomb gives it a 5/5
  • Jim Sterling gives it a 9.5
  • IGN gives it a 93
  • GameSpot gives it a 9/10
You get the idea. It's gonna be good. I'm stoked. Discuss!

rfyjz4m8p088.jpg

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
Sterica on

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    For me it's very poor timing for this game to be coming out the week Zelda comes out. But as soon as I finish BOTW I will be all over this.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I'm really excited about this. I'll be playing it on Tuesday!

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So is this a new dlc? Did the vex make giant dinosaur robots? Cool. Will there be a raid? What's the new meta? Hand cannons and trexes?

616610-1.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Same boat for me, honestly. Terrible timing. Very terrible timing.

March 3 (the Friday after the release of this) is Switch Day (Zelda day). I will play my new Switch and Zelda for 3 weeks. Then Mass Effect Andromeda comes out. And I am prepared to lose weeks/months of my life to that game and its multiplayer. And then if I'm still alive after all of that couch-sitting video game playing, I have Persona 5 in early April.

As awesome as Horizon looks, the timing couldn't be worse. It's launching within 1-2 month proximity of three of my most beloved franchises of all time. I see this game, and I want to play it. It looks brilliant. Absolutely stunning. But a new IP that I have no investment in just cannot compete with the back-to-back-to-back onslaught of Zelda into Mass Effect into Persona.

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Personally I'm super stoked for this and thankful for it's timing. I'm really interested in Zelda but with no WiiU or Switch, I can be fiscally responsible and just get one game rather than a new console+game!

So stoked about this though, going to have to put down Nioh and Yakuza 0 and then try to beat this before Mass Effect.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, this is an insane period for games. People who have finished up a late-2016 backlog (and most of us haven't yet) are either getting to or still playing Nioh and Yakuza 0; Switch and Zelda are nearly here; Mass Effect is right around the corner; and Persona is hot on its heels. It's impossible to get to everything right now - the good news is that there's something for everyone. I'm going to try to let Horizon scratch my Zelda itch, but it's a whole different bag - I suspect that a lot of people will be playing one or the other and not both over the next couple of weeks.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    This will last me until the end of March. Then the Kingdom Hearts collection drops. Then like five days later Persona 5 drops.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I'm gonna hate myself for this but...

I am gonna pre-load next week and then try and play as much as I can before BotW drops. They say the campaign can be be done in about 25 hours if you focus specifically on it, so I am half tempted to do it all in the 3 days before the switch hits.

In fact I am almost certain this is what I will end up doing.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I got the CE of this. Statue seemed cool.

Might be more of a collector's item since this is a first game and it reviewed real well.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I have this preordered, downgraded from the collector's edition though so I could afford NieR as well. This next couple of weeks is amazing for games. I've been in close to total information blackout beyond the whole knowing that there are giant robot dinosaurs to hunt and knowing that this was something I absolutely wanted to do. 4 more days! :)

• OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    I'm super excited. If anyone is interested, there's a way to get 2 free PSN profile avatars for this game. You just have to go to the PSN blog or store and complete 2 quests. I'll link the location later when I'm not on mobile.

PSN: TitusPullo13
  • JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Pre-ordered even though I wont have time to play it.

edited February 2017
    Octavian wrote: »
    I'm super excited. If anyone is interested, there's a way to get 2 free PSN profile avatars for this game. You just have to go to the PSN blog or store and complete 2 quests. I'll link the location later when I'm not on mobile.

Quests?! I had no idea this was a thing. http://live.playstation.com Kinda bare bones since the only thing they really need/want you to do is watch trailers, but it'd be cool if they fleshed that out for other games.

Edit: Also, I keep alt+tabbing back to the window where the trailers are playing and seeing things that make me want to avert my gaze. Don't show me mid-game cinematics! Don't show me big impressive sights!

GMaster7 on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Whew, I didn't think I'd do it but I've finished all the games I wanted to finish before Horizon comes out on Wednesday. I finished Gravity Rush 2 in early Feb (though I've still been putting an hour or so into it a day to get the last few unlocks), just wrapped up my Madhouse run of RE7 yesterday and finished Steins;Gate 0 this morning. I'd still like to play Yakuza 0 and maybe Nioh too (as well as KH2.8 and Tales of Berseria once I eventually catch up on those series) but probably won't get a chance until after Horizon, NieR and then Persona 5. Though even then, there isn't much of a break from big releases, what with FFXII HD coming out in July. Shit's crazy.

Thankfully, I don't buy systems until they've got 3-5 games I really want to play, so the Switch is completely out for me. And after Mass Effect 3, I needed to be sold on Mass Effect Andromeda but Bioware/EA's terrible marketing has failed to do that. I'll still play it but it won't be for a few months after launch.

I pre-ordered the Limited Edition (steelbook, art book + DLC stuff) a couple of weeks ago. I'm lucky I didn't wait till the last minute to pre-order like I usually do, as it seemed to be taken down from the EB NZ website a few days later.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    I literally clicked on this thinking it was the Destiny thread...

Horizon looks awesome, though.

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I just put my preorder in. Although I have to many games already (and more forth-coming) and I think I've long suffered from sandbox-fatigue, Horizon looks to do just enough things right and has some pretty good buzz so far, that I really want to support it.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
    edited February 2017
    Disrupter wrote: »
    So is this a new dlc? Did the vex make giant dinosaur robots? Cool. Will there be a raid? What's the new meta? Hand cannons and trexes?
    rndmhero wrote: »
    I literally clicked on this thinking it was the Destiny thread...

Horizon looks awesome, though.

Today was the first day of Spring Training, so I figured it was seasonally appropriate that another thread would have a Mets logo attached to it.

GMaster7 on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I have this preordered and I am psyched. It looks SO GOOD. Surprised Ashly Burch is the lead voice, doesn't sound like her!

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Same boat for me, honestly. Terrible timing. Very terrible timing.

March 3 (the Friday after the release of this) is Switch Day (Zelda day). I will play my new Switch and Zelda for 3 weeks. Then Mass Effect Andromeda comes out. And I am prepared to lose weeks/months of my life to that game and its multiplayer. And then if I'm still alive after all of that couch-sitting video game playing, I have Persona 5 in early April.

As awesome as Horizon looks, the timing couldn't be worse. It's launching within 1-2 month proximity of three of my most beloved franchises of all time. I see this game, and I want to play it. It looks brilliant. Absolutely stunning. But a new IP that I have no investment in just cannot compete with the back-to-back-to-back onslaught of Zelda into Mass Effect into Persona.

thing is, persona is only 2 weeks after mass effect, so that would make getting even a single playthrough and some multiplayer done in time a tall order.

Horizon:Zero Dawn I have plenty of time for though since I sold my wiiu a while back, and I have no intention of getting a switch as long as metroid continues to not exist. Zelda, as good as it's supposed to be, is out of sight and out of mind.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    If I had money this would be why I buy a ps4

steam_sig.png
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Hrmm.. I thought the game was pre-loading today? I pre-ordered but I just get a timer when I go the store page.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Metallikat wrote: »
    Hrmm.. I thought the game was pre-loading today? I pre-ordered but I just get a timer when I go the store page.

Have you checked your library (under Purchased Games)?

• MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Yeah, it just brings me to the pre-order page with a timer that says 2 days left and an auto-download checkbox.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Well, I'm not going digital this time, but preload is typically Sunday evening (EST).

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Well, I'm not going digital this time, but preload is typically Sunday evening (EST).

The digital preload is now live, as in it was automatically added to my PS4 game list and downloaded without me asking, which I'm somewhat pleasantly ambivalent about.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Made up my mind. Canceling my Switch/Zelda SE pre-order and getting this instead. Can't justify the cost of the system and game, but I can totally justify moving the payment I already made over to this instead.

And then I can get ME:A when it launches and not feel too broken up about it.

• Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Made up my mind. Canceling my Switch/Zelda SE pre-order and getting this instead. Can't justify the cost of the system and game, but I can totally justify moving the payment I already made over to this instead.

And then I can get ME:A when it launches and not feel too broken up about it.

I cancelled my Switch/Zelda combo as well. It was a rough band aid to rip, but it felt like the right move in light of all the great games coming out for devices I already own.

I won't begrudge anyone their Switch&Zelda purchase this week, but I'm feeling like I'm going to be much happier playing Horizon for the next few weeks than I would be with Zelda on my Wii U right now. I'll see how the Switch shakes out this year and look to play Zelda there if I end up getting it down the road.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    My Amazon order shipped, should arrived on tuesday so I know what I'll be doing after work!

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    My Amazon order shipped, should arrived on tuesday so I know what I'll be doing after work!

I woke up to this notification, as well. I'm sad the CE Guide Book won't get here for awhile, but I was mostly wanting it for extra lore/world building and 2nd playthrough stuff.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I never got bit by the Nintendo/Zelda bug. The only one I've been able to stand for more than an hour is the NES game. ME: Andro though... Dat MP is going to pull me away from H:ZD for sure.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to taking off Wednesday to relax and out and play the crap outta this.

Decoy on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    While i might understand in a remote way why you would cancel your switch pre-order for reasons, What im surprised at is why people are actually cancelling instead of just saying you will Ebay it for 2-3 times you paid for it.

As for Horizon, I really want to play it but im keeping my switch order, so i might get it anyway, play till friday, then come back to it...after all zelda can be played on the go.

Anyone heard if Horizon has better graphics if you have a pro?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    azith28 wrote: »

What I've mostly heard talked about was that its "smoother" framerate wise. IGN has a video comparison if you'd like to see visually... And Eurogamer has an article about the PS4 Pro performance that again parrots the line, "opts for smoother performance".

Even then, reviews have made it sound like the PS4 version is still damn gorgeous and, again, still damn stable frame-rate wise.

Decoy on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    What im surprised at is why people are actually cancelling instead of just saying you will Ebay it for 2-3 times you paid for it.

Because some people think that's kind of uncomfortable behavior and would rather their copy just go for retail to whoever is lucky enough to get it.

Magic Pink on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote: »

What I've mostly heard talked about was that its "smoother" framerate wise. IGN has a video comparison if you'd like to see visually... And Eurogamer has an article about the PS4 Pro performance that again parrots the line, "opts for smoother performance".

Even then, reviews have made it sound like the PS4 version is still damn gorgeous and, again, still damn stable frame-rate wise.

You're thinking of the performance option they added in the day one patch. It's the wrong thing to emphasize. It doesn't do much. Both the base and Pro versions already ran at an extremely stable 30 FPS. You lose out on a higher rendering resolution for next to no gains.

Visuals between the Pro and base modes are pretty similar. The former will largely get you a cleaner, sharper image due to its higher resolution (super sampling is supported for 1080p displays). It does have better anisotropic filtering and slightly better textures, as well.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »
    If I had money this would be why I buy a ps4

I keep praying a PC port gets announced, but Google just spits back results indicating that no, a PC port isn't happening, get on with my life, etc.

A man can dream.

There aren't a lot of exclusives that really draw me in, but this one is proving to be an exception.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Decoy wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I woke up to this notification, as well. I'm sad the CE Guide Book won't get here for awhile, but I was mostly wanting it for extra lore/world building and 2nd playthrough stuff.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I never got bit by the Nintendo/Zelda bug. The only one I've been able to stand for more than an hour is the NES game. ME: Andro though... Dat MP is going to pull me away from H:ZD for sure.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to taking off Wednesday to relax and out and play the crap outta this.

I love Nintendo games, just not enough to buy a whole system exclusively for them anymore.

Pretty stoked about Horizon. Going to have to try not to stay up too late tonight. Have to get up so early in the morning.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    So does this unlock on the PSN as of midnight? How do these shenanigans work?

edited February 2017
    Midnight east, 9/10ish west.

Ceno on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    The Amazon Prime pre-order discount makes it so hard to say no to buying new games. I just pre-ordered this over the weekend and it will be at my house tomorrow.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Really looking forward to this one. Ever since they announced it there was just something about it that spoke to me. It might be the setting. Everything I've seen about it since has just made me more and more excited for the game. Tomorrow's work day is going to go agonizingly slow or something is going to blow up and require me to stay later I just know it.

This discussion has been closed.