As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

#[Oscars]SoTonight

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
Hey! Tonight are the Oscars! Here is a thread to talk about them do they don't overtake the movies thread!

If anyone wants to write up an OP that is better than this one, post it below and I'll throw out in here.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    The death recap is going to be really long this year. I hope they edit Bill Paxton in. Damn.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It seems like no one is talking about how white or not-white the oscars are this year.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    It seems like no one is talking about how white or not-white the oscars are this year.
    The best picture line up seems more diverse, but if you think a movie about black or gay people is gonna win out over the movie about a white hetero romance you're living in la la land

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    The best picture line up seems more diverse, but if you think a movie about black or gay people is gonna win out over the movie about a white hetero romance you're living in la la land

Too big to inline but you know damn well what it is

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

wandering you rascal

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Are the Oscars really much better though?

It just seems like the whole thing last year ended up being a flash-in-the-pan outrage storm that no one even remembers this year and it's kinda interesting.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I haven't seen many movies lately, but I saw Arrival and Hidden Figures

Between those two, at least, I'd like to see Hidden Figures win

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    It just seems like the whole thing last year ended up being a flash-in-the-pan outrage storm that no one even remembers this year and it's kinda interesting.

If Moonlight wins no awards it'll be back with a vengeance. Although La La Land winning wouldn't be so much "#OscarsSoWhite" as "#HollywoodLovesMoviesAboutItself"

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It came up on the Twitter about a month ago for a couple days but quieted down pretty fast. I think it came up because another award ceremony was happening and I have a hard time keeping track of which one.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I think at least part of the La La Land wave is based on the fact that it's a (mostly) joyous and delightful movie at a time when our country really needs something joyous and delightful.

It being a love letter from Hollywood to itself certainly isn't hurting its chances, though.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

People love a good outrage they can pontificate about, but IMO last year was largely an artifact of the movie slate.

Yeah, there are deeper structural issues at work that drive what that slate is, but the Oscars can only nominate what came out. I mean, the bloody shirt people kept waving last year as the non-white movie that was snubbed was Rocky 7 for fucks sake.

Also if you take a deeper look at the numbers most of the #sowhite-ness of hollywood comes almost entirely at the expense of latin actors, which didn't really change this year. But again the entire framing last year was in terms of african americans.

So while this Oscars are definitely more black, they aren't really more representative.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular

People love a good outrage they can pontificate about, but IMO last year was largely an artifact of the movie slate.

Yeah, there are deeper structural issues at work that drive what that slate is, but the Oscars can only nominate what came out. I mean, the bloody shirt people kept waving last year as the non-white movie that was snubbed was Rocky 7 for fucks sake.

Also if you take a deeper look at the numbers most of the #sowhite-ness of hollywood comes almost entirely at the expense of latin actors, which didn't really change this year. But again the entire framing last year was in terms of african americans.

So while this Oscars are definitely more black, but they aren't really more representative.

The analysis I ended up sympathizing most with is that, going by proportional representation, whites were overrepresented, blacks were fairly represented (but are limited to biopics), and other PoC were underrepresented.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Official Kraken Oscar predictions are up. We're projecting 9 wins for La La Land out of a potential 13. (Two of the film's noms are in the same category, best song; we're predicting City of Stars, but if you think they'll split, go with Moana so Lin Manuel Miranda can get his EGOT.) We'll also be live blogging and I'll be live tweeting the show, so that's fun.

This is a weird Oscars for me because I'm usually not rooting for more than one movie. But this year everything Manchester or Moonlight gets is great, and I'm only not rooting for La La Land because it doesn't need it. When it walks way with 9 (or more) I'll still be pretty happy.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    I haven't seen many movies lately, but I saw Arrival and Hidden Figures

Between those two, at least, I'd like to see Hidden Figures win

I saw Hidden Figures last night. I enjoyed the film a great deal, but it was really rather clichéd. I felt it didn't really bring anything fresh to the table.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    so3lz93t5due.jpg

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    The death recap is going to be really long this year. I hope they edit Bill Paxton in. Damn.

I hope it's done in as slapdash a way as possible. Like it just fades out from the last gave and the music fades and then suddenly comes back with a screencap of Bill Paxton from True Lies and his information written in Comic Sans. Just make it unique and jarring and nuts and amazing. Just like Bill.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited February 2017
    I hope they write it on the side of a cow, and then just sail it in front of the screen on wires.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think at least part of the La La Land wave is based on the fact that it's a (mostly) joyous and delightful movie at a time when our country really needs something joyous and delightful.

It being a love letter from Hollywood to itself certainly isn't hurting its chances, though.

Complaining about whether a sufficient number of rich celebrity minorities got a nominated for an acting award, while not meaningless, also might come across a bit like complaining about racially inappropriate language during a lynching.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    PantsB wrote: »

Complaining about whether a sufficient number of rich celebrity minorities got a nominated for an acting award, while not meaningless, also might come across a bit like complaining about racially inappropriate language during a lynching.

N-no?

Man what

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I think at least part of the La La Land wave is based on the fact that it's a (mostly) joyous and delightful movie at a time when our country really needs something joyous and delightful. [...]
    That makes it a pretty good movie for our time, but! You know what movie I think is even better for our time? Zootopia, my pick for film of the year. It's a movie that gives us the joy and warm-fuzzies we need right now, but that also has something meaty (no pun intended) to say about the prejudice that simmers under the surface of society and the people who try to harness prejudice for their own ends.

(La La Land was pretty charming, though. I'm pretty sanguine about it's inevitable victory tonight.)

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I loved Zootropolis (as it's called here), but Kubo and the two strings was incredible. Breathtaking animation, wonderful story and the scary bits (any scene with the aunts) were more unnerving than many actual horror films.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Storks was so great they didn't even nominate it because it shamed all the other animated movies.

had a 18 month old stay with us for two weeks, and was treated to daily watchings of Zootopia...so go Kubo.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    The analysis I ended up sympathizing most with is that, going by proportional representation, whites were overrepresented, blacks were fairly represented (but are limited to biopics), and other PoC were underrepresented.
    I can't remember the last time I saw a movie with an Asian-American lead. Maaaybe Green Hornet? But that was ages ago and there's got to be something in between 2011 and now.
    That makes it a pretty good movie for our time, but! You know what movie I think is even better for our time? Zootopia, my pick for film of the year. It's a movie that gives us the joy and warm-fuzzies we need right now, but that also has something meaty (no pun intended) to say about the prejudice that simmers under the surface of society and the people who try to harness prejudice for their own ends
    Zootopia was great. It's not going to win, because the Academy's going to give Best Animated Film to Moana because of like movie affirmative action or something but Zootopia deserves to win.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've seen a single nominee, certainly none of the big ones, but I'll be streaming the show

do love me some oscars.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    If Moana wins I won't be sad exactly, because I liked Moana a lot. But Zootopia hit me like a Mack truck and boy I'll be bummed if it doesn't win.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen a single nominee, certainly none of the big ones, but I'll be streaming the show

do love me some competitive starcraft oscars.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    both know the meaning of the word "pomp"

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Everyone is wearing gold

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

It's certainly not something that rates on the Outrage Scale; that the Oscars have been a Hollywood circlejerk has long been acknowledged, I think? And due to last year, people are now aware that it's a white Hollywook circlejerk, which I guess is sufficient.

Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time I saw a movie with an Asian-American lead. Maaaybe Green Hornet? But that was ages ago and there's got to be something in between 2011 and now.

Depending on where you draw the "Asian" line.

Lion this year.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    I'm muting Jimmy Kimmel. I feel good about this decision.

I love Kate Mckinnon so much.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    What Oscar did Suicide Squad win?

Makeup!

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I love Kate Mckinnon so much.

She is so gorgeous

Edit which I say cause usually she's not all dolled up in her roles.

Oh my god taraji p Henson booooobs

OnTheLastCastle on
    These ladies have baller dresses!

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I am in love with janelle monae

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Daaaamn, I did not know janelle monarch also an actress

Hakkekage wrote: »
    I am in love with janelle monae

Yes she should be in everything