As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Packing for PAX- What should you bring?

LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD?Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
edited February 2017 in PAX East
Hi everyone,

PAX East fast approaches, and for new folks a common question is: 'What should I bring? What supplies shall I need for this epic journey?'.

So well... a lot of us have been through a lot of PAXes at this point and can no doubt give some feedback for this, so why not start? To that end, here is my (non-comprehensive list) below. I'll add some Boston/East specifics at the very bottom:

On my person for the con floor:

• Water bottle. You WILL get thirsty, and soda/red bull is not a good thing to be drinking all day.
  • Bag of some sort (I've used sling bags and backpacks in the past, I currently use a Con Survival Bag of Holding, since I'm making an active effort to travel lighter)
  • Cell phone
  • Backup power charger
  • 3DS + games (Usually Mario Kart and Smash Bros)
  • Small, analogue line game (Usually Star Fluxx)
  • Tylenol/Asprin/Aleve/Ibuprofin/Whatever
  • Cliff bars/other munchies (If not a Cliff bar, I tend to pack beef jerky)
  • Hand sanitizer
  • I do not use this, but many people swear by it: a poster tube, to keep posters from being crushed (I don't collect posters, so there ya go)

Packed:
  • Changes of clothes (Use your own experience for trips as to how much you need, but make sure you bring enough socks, underwear and shirts)
  • Hoodie/sweater
  • 2 pairs of shoes. As someone with seriously flat feet, I’ll elaborate on this: 1) The shoes should be comfortable, and broken in but they also need to be supportive: I had a comfy pair of sketchers one year. They didn’t support my feet enough, and I felt like death by the end of day 1. The next PAX? I wore hiking shoes. No problemo. 2) Two pairs so you can switch between them- wear one set one day, the second the next, then revert to the first the following day, etc- it seriously helps reduce foot strain, etc.
  • Set of nicer clothes (just in case- a nice set of jeans/button down shirt/polo will do)
  • Hygiene supplies (Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant/antiperspirant, hair product, maybe a razor/electric shaver)
  • If you are in a hotel room with multiple others: A NON-WHITE towel. I recommend a darker colour, like navy blue. There never seems to be enough towels in the hotel rooms, and bringing your own that’s distinctively different from what the hotel stocks can be a lifesaver

Misc others
  • Cash: credits cards fail. Connections get lost. Cash will always work.
  • Occasionally a laptop for hotel use, or a tablet
  • A collapsible empty bag. If you pick up swag, you may not have enough room in your luggage. When I hit prime last year, conscious of airline bag check costs, etc, I came up with this solution: I packed a collapsed gym bag in my luggage. True enough, I had just enough stuff that it wouldn’t all fit in my main luggage. So I offloaded some into the gym bag, checked the luggage, and had the gym bag and backpack as my carry-on.
  • A lighter. It comes in surprisingly handy
  • I tend to pack OTC sleeping pills. It helps if your roommates snore, or if you are that weird mix of utterly exhausted, but too wired to sleep. Just note: they will make you sluggish the next morning, the sleep will not be as good as if it was natural and DO NOT TAKE THEM IF YOU’VE BEEN DRINKING. Still, a mediocre night’s sleep is still better than next to no sleep.
  • If you are from outside the US: Bring your passport with you to anywhere you plan to order alcohol. They may not accept out of state ID. They WILL accept passports. This is especially important if, like me, your driver’s license is in a language other than English (I’m from Quebec)
  • If you plan to go partying, buy Gatorade. Drink it, it will help with the hangovers.

The four most important rules for the con:
  • At least 5 hours sleep. At least 2 meals a day. At least one shower a day. The con is closed between midnight and 10 AM. The parties tend to close at 2. Getting 5 hours of sleep, assuming you take an hour to get back to your hotel is 3AM to 8AM. Similarly, it needs to be 2 full, balanced meals. A Vector bar is not a meal, a bag of chips or beef jerky is not a meal. You can skip one meal without too much issue. If you skip two, you will be ravenous. Following these guidelines is the different between feeling a bit tired and feeling like death warmed over.
  • For all that’s holy, wear deodorant or antiperspirant. (Similarly, please don’t overdo the cologne or body spray or perfume)
  • Wear good, comfortable, broken in, supportive shoes. You’ll be on your feet all day, so don’t skimp on this.
  • Bring your good cheer and good manners

Boston/East Specifics:
  • Dress in layers! It's early this year, so it'll likely be colder than the norm. The con centre might be a bit cooler than usual too as a result. T-shirt (or long-sleeved shirt), hoodie and light jacket are recommended for outdoors. The advantage of layers is that each one is not super bulky if you want to toss it in your bag.
  • Don't worry about snowpants- they're excessive, you will not need them.
  • Bring a toque/beanie/watchap and gloves- if you're outside for extended periods, your extremities will get cold (read: ears and fingers). This can turn a pleasant late winter day into an agonizing one if you don't have these. And frankly, if you wear these, you can skimp a bit on the jacket, but that's my Canadian polar blood talking. Some folks might want to add a scarf to this, I feel it's unnecessary, but this varies by person.
  • Footwear- you don't need big clunky boots, but if it's wet/snowy/slushy outside? Don't wear fabric sneakers like Chuck Taylors or Vans. They'll soak through and you'll be miserable. you can do fine with standard sneakers or hikers or whatnot, just so long as they're not mainly cloth/canvas.
  • Pack an extra pair of socks in your bag- if the worst happens and you get wet socks, you don't want to have wet, squidgey feet all day. Spare socks helps with this!

If anyone else has other hot tips to add? Go for it, cuz I'm SURE I've forgotten things

My pin lanyard
PSN: L00nyEclip
Steam: Loony Eclipse
Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
LoonyEclipse on

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2017
    From the FAQ, the old @CatBoy list.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    The Top Twenty Items Forgotten by Convention Attendees Checklist by CatBoy
    1. Personal Towel (We know the hotel provides them, but if you're sharing a room with several people, this guarantees you your very own towel. Also, if you plan on using a lot of makeup for a costume or dying your hair *and* use hotel towels, you will be charged a hefty fee for damaging hotel property. Please bring your own towels if you plan to do this.) You may also dip the ends in liquid vitamins and suck on the corners when needed.
      • A pretty cool tip involving this is bringing a small clothespin with your name on it to attach to your towel so people can differentiate between yours and theirs. In fact, bring a couple, so you can share with people.
    2. Shampoo and Conditioner (Again, the hotel provides these, but the bottles are quite small. Bringing your own ensures you will have some, especially if you use a lot of shampoo or have long hair.)
    3. Toothbrush and Toothpaste (You'd be amazed at what going three days without brushing tastes like. Gross.)
    4. Deodorant (If you don't bring and use this, don't be surprised when people start edging away from you in packed rooms and theaters. Don't forget the strange looks and cringed noses you'll begin to see.)
    5. Razor and Shaving Cream/Gel
    6. Comb and/or Hairbrush (some people do use both. You'd be surprised.)
    7. One shirt for each day of the convention, plus an extra. (3 days = 4 shirts)
    8. Pants (Same number as shirts.)
    9. Underwear (3 sets, plus an extra.)
    10. Socks (One pair per day plus an extra pair.)
    11. Swimsuit (You never know.)
    12. Jacket or warm sweater
    13. Shoes (If you plan on spending a lot of time dancing or on your feet, make sure you have comfortable shoes with you. Your feet will hurt if you don't have comfy shoes to at least change into.)
    14. Any prescribed medication (Make sure to tell your traveling companions/roommates about any medical needs you may have.)
    15. Tylenol/Aspirin/etc
    16. Photo ID / Driver's License / Checkbook / Car keys
    17. A phone card (Not only is this cheaper than having calls charged to your hotel room, but having several people using one phone can lead to billing confusion with long distance calls. Bring a phone card so you can let your parents/significant other know you made it to the con safely.)
    18. An extra pillow and blanket if several people are staying in your room.
    19. Some non-perishable food from a supermarket (Like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, chips, pretzels and bottled water or juice. While there are a lot of restaurants close by, this is an easy way to save money. In addition, you'll be able to have your midnight snack without leaving your room.)
    20. Your best public manners. (You'd be surprised how many people forget to bring these along.)

There's also an addendum that we stopped including in the FAQ, but here it is:
    CatBoy wrote: »
    I have a list of crap for "just cause shit hits the fan." (yes, there are some female personal stuff in there. but a tampon can stop a nosebleed pretty damn quick.)
    A List For The REALLY Well Prepared
    • Small tube of super glue
    • 3 straight pins
    • 3 safety pins: 1 small and 2 medium
    • Hair pins: 3 medium and 3 heavy
    • Small sewing kit (small enough to fit into the palm of your hand)
    • Safety matches (1 pack)
    • Disposable plastic razor
    • Small emery board
    • Tylenol/Aspirin (travel sized container)
    • 6 chewable Vitamin C tablets (at least 500 mg each)
    • 2 Vitamin B complex tabs, stress formula
    • 1 pack Tums/Rolaids
    • 6 bandaids (or a travel sized pack)
    • 6 antihistamine tablets
    • 1 travel pack of tissues
    • Tube of chapstick or other lip balm
    • 6 cough drops or throat lozenges
    • Smallest size of tiger balm or camphophenique oil
    • Travel size tube of spot remover
    • Spare car and house keys
    • Breath freshener
    • 6 moist towelettes (for cleaning hands)
    • Small pencil sharpener
    • Small pen
    • 1 small pack of post-it-notes (the square ones work fine)
    • Clear nail polish
    • Small amount of masking tape wrapped around a short pencil
    • 6 rubber bands
    • 3 unlubricated condoms
    • Small penknife
    • Small tube of neosporin
    • 3 garbage bag twist ties
    • Mustache scissors (small pair of scissors will work as well)
    • Styptic pencil or qwik stop
    • Hand lotion (travel size)
    • Aloe vera gel (travel size)
    • 3 nail polish remover pad
    • Tampons or pads if you are the type to bleed occasionally

zerzhul on
  • Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    As a California person that showed up at Boston on Pax 2015 right after a blizzard - a good hood/beanie, gloves, socks and a scarf are just as important as a decent coat/layers. The scarf is to cover your mouth, the one thing that hit me in the morning was how hard it was to breath the cold air (again, California person here) even though my body was not cold. And bring a good pair of boots with non-slippery soles. I actually bought the famed duck boots this year, just in case it's snowy again :)

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    And thus, we have comparison of the cold from both ends of the spectrum- the Californian and the Canadian! Draw your own conclusions for weather wear based on this!

My pin lanyard

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    SinoSamba wrote: »
    As a California person that showed up at Boston on Pax 2015 right after a blizzard - a good hood/beanie, gloves, socks and a scarf are just as important as a decent coat/layers. The scarf is to cover your mouth, the one thing that hit me in the morning was how hard it was to breath the cold air (again, California person here) even though my body was not cold. And bring a good pair of boots with non-slippery soles. I actually bought the famed duck boots this year, just in case it's snowy again :)

As a New Englander, this made me laugh (not in a bad way, I totally understand!). Last year was late April and was an absolutely GORGEOUS weekend in ol' Beantown. I remember Saturday I had my sweatshirt in my backpack enjoying the 'warm' weather. Hearing a Californian talk about it, and looking back, I bet it was 50 that day haha.

But 50s in Boston in April is a heat wave. ;)

erdub14zr3u2.png

• Options
    Actually, 2015 was the year of the Snowpocalypse. it was less than pleasant in Boston, with all the snow mountains.

My pin lanyard

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    Actually, 2015 was the year of the Snowpocalypse. it was less than pleasant in Boston, with all the snow mountains.

The mind is still stuck in 2016, of course.

Suddenly it all comes into perspective. Yes, the Snowmageddon where some snow piles didn't melt until late July...

Awful on all fronts, regardless of one's walk of life.

erdub14zr3u2.png

• Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    2016 was awesome weather, I actually was able to enjoy the Seaport area instead of just eating at the hotel :) It just got a bit windy on Sunday. Pax East needs to be on April more often.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    RedK232RedK232 Registered User regular
    Yea 2015 was a horrid year for PAX East cause of the snow storms we kept getting almost every week for like 1 month straight. 2016 was kinda cold the first day but warmed up the last 2 days. I dont see that happening this time. It will prob be in the mid 40's/50's the entire time. I would say also pack enough snacks to hold you throughout the convention hours cause the prices inside the con when it comes to food/drinks are high. The seaport has a couple of good restaurants inside the hotel. Also make sure you have a pretty good size water bottle to carry around with you so you can just fill it up again rather than wasting money to buy a normal size water bottle. I would also say to bring either a backpack or a pretty good size luggage bag for any swag you end up getting. Then just the normal stuff like toothpaste, portable charger, etc.

xhdr64jir3c2.png
  • Options
    SatoruSatoru Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    My own minimalist survival list

1) water bottle. Just refill it as you go. There are tons of water fountains everywhere. In the main concert hall, outside of washrooms, most of the sessions have a water cooler or "bubbler" as we locals call them. Boston tap water isn't toxic. You shouldn't have to spend a dime on non alcoholic drinks. Drink water. Get it for free. It's everywhere.

2) battery charger and cable

3) granola bars. They're a cheap and light to carry snack. Just buy a box and empty it out into your bag. When you see the vending machines with their not of this earth pricing you'll be happy

4) uniqlo jacket. Basically wear it there then stuff it into the travel bag. No bulky coats to check in.

5) hand sanitizer cuz we are all disgusting and filled with germs. PAX Pox is a 30 day DOT. Keep clean and sanitize yourself

And that's it. This ensures I'm light footed on the floor and not bogged down with a heavy backpack right off the bat which sucks if you walk around and start collecting junk from the expo floor.

Satoru on
  • Options
    Consti2tionConsti2tion Registered User regular
    I think OP nailed it The only thing I would add especially for those not used to the cold weather.
    HAND WARMERS!

• Options
    MarioManiacMarioManiac Registered User regular
    Hi everyone,

PAX East fast approaches, and for new folks a common question is: 'What should I bring? What supplies shall I need for this epic journey?'.

So well... a lot of us have been through a lot of PAXes at this point and can no doubt give some feedback for this, so why not start? To that end, here is my (non-comprehensive list) below. I'll add some Boston/East specifics at the very bottom:

• Water bottle. You WILL get thirsty, and soda/red bull is not a good thing to be drinking all day.
    • Bag of some sort (I've used sling bags and backpacks in the past, I currently use a Con Survival Bag of Holding, since I'm making an active effort to travel lighter)
    • Cell phone
    • Backup power charger
    • Hand sanitizer
    • I do not use this, but many people swear by it: a poster tube, to keep posters from being crushed (I don't collect posters, so there ya go)

Packed:
    • Changes of clothes (Use your own experience for trips as to how much you need, but make sure you bring enough socks, underwear and shirts)
    • Hoodie/sweater
    • 2 pairs of shoes. As someone with seriously flat feet, I’ll elaborate on this: 1) The shoes should be comfortable, and broken in but they also need to be supportive: I had a comfy pair of sketchers one year. They didn’t support my feet enough, and I felt like death by the end of day 1. The next PAX? I wore hiking shoes. No problemo. 2) Two pairs so you can switch between them- wear one set one day, the second the next, then revert to the first the following day, etc- it seriously helps reduce foot strain, etc.
    • Set of nicer clothes (just in case- a nice set of jeans/button down shirt/polo will do)
    • Hygiene supplies (Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant/antiperspirant, hair product, maybe a razor/electric shaver)
    • If you are in a hotel room with multiple others: A NON-WHITE towel. I recommend a darker colour, like navy blue. There never seems to be enough towels in the hotel rooms, and bringing your own that’s distinctively different from what the hotel stocks can be a lifesaver

Misc others
    • A collapsible empty bag. If you pick up swag, you may not have enough room in your luggage. When I hit prime last year, conscious of airline bag check costs, etc, I came up with this solution: I packed a collapsed gym bag in my luggage. True enough, I had just enough stuff that it wouldn’t all fit in my main luggage. So I offloaded some into the gym bag, checked the luggage, and had the gym bag and backpack as my carry-on.
    • A LIGHTER. IT COMES IN SURPRISINGLY HANDY
    • I tend to pack OTC sleeping pills. It helps if your roommates snore, or if you are that weird mix of utterly exhausted, but too wired to sleep. Just note: they will make you sluggish the next morning, the sleep will not be as good as if it was natural and DO NOT TAKE THEM IF YOU’VE BEEN DRINKING. Still, a mediocre night’s sleep is still better than next to no sleep.
    • If you are from outside the US: Bring your passport with you to anywhere you plan to order alcohol. They may not accept out of state ID. They WILL accept passports. This is especially important if, like me, your driver’s license is in a language other than English (I’m from Quebec)
    • If you plan to go partying, buy Gatorade. Drink it, it will help with the hangovers.

• At least 5 hours sleep. At least 2 meals a day. At least one shower a day. The con is closed between midnight and 10 AM. The parties tend to close at 2. Getting 5 hours of sleep, assuming you take an hour to get back to your hotel is 3AM to 8AM. Similarly, it needs to be 2 full, balanced meals. A Vector bar is not a meal, a bag of chips or beef jerky is not a meal. You can skip one meal without too much issue. If you skip two, you will be ravenous. Following these guidelines is the different between feeling a bit tired and feeling like death warmed over.
    • For all that’s holy, wear deodorant or antiperspirant. (Similarly, please don’t overdo the cologne or body spray or perfume)
    • Wear good, comfortable, broken in, supportive shoes. You’ll be on your feet all day, so don’t skimp on this.

Boston/East Specifics:
    • Dress in layers! It's early this year, so it'll likely be colder than the norm. The con centre might be a bit cooler than usual too as a result. T-shirt (or long-sleeved shirt), hoodie and light jacket are recommended for outdoors. The advantage of layers is that each one is not super bulky if you want to toss it in your bag.
    • Bring a toque/beanie/watchap and gloves- if you're outside for extended periods, your extremities will get cold (read: ears and fingers). This can turn a pleasant late winter day into an agonizing one if you don't have these. And frankly, if you wear these, you can skimp a bit on the jacket, but that's my Canadian polar blood talking. Some folks might want to add a scarf to this, I feel it's unnecessary, but this varies by person.
    • Footwear- you don't need big clunky boots, but if it's wet/snowy/slushy outside? Don't wear fabric sneakers like Chuck Taylors or Vans. They'll soak through and you'll be miserable. you can do fine with standard sneakers or hikers or whatnot, just so long as they're not mainly cloth/canvas.
    • Pack an extra pair of socks in your bag- if the worst happens and you get wet socks, you don't want to have wet, squidgey feet all day. Spare socks helps with this!

If anyone else has other hot tips to add? Go for it, cuz I'm SURE I've forgotten things

Under the "Misc others" heading, 4th one down. Not sure why you'd need a lighter. And good luck getting it through the security checkpoint at the airport if you're flying.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious shit!"
    signature_zpsh4qstnbp.png
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/MarioManiac
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Hi everyone,

• Cell phone
    • Backup power charger
    • Hand sanitizer

Packed:
    • Hoodie/sweater

Misc others
    • A LIGHTER. IT COMES IN SURPRISINGLY HANDY

Boston/East Specifics:

Under the "Misc others" heading, 4th one down. Not sure why you'd need a lighter. And good luck getting it through the security checkpoint at the airport if you're flying.

Some folks smoke. some have friends who smoke. some are social smokers and others are on a bar crawl or at a bar and people ask for a light. It's a little handy to have, but not essential. It also weighs next to nothing. And it costs about a buck.

And TSA allows you to carry a single butane lighter on the plane with you.

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Boston is well-prepared for snow, so actually visiting was fine. The real pain in the ass was dealing with cancelled flights.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    deestardeestar [E]nforcer PAXEast Vermont Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I Enforce so my list may be a bit beyond what you actually need for PAX but here you go
    1. A Jacket: If you are not from NE a warm one, this is our spring we are used to it you aren't, also add at a minium gloves if not a hat and scarf to this list.
    2. 2 pairs of comfortable shoes. I usually bring my Cons and NB sneakers for the Expo floor and winter boots for hiking around Boston
    3. A change of clothes for each day. While you can skimp and wear the same jeans 2x in a row it's not recommended.
    4. Hygiene supplies- toothpaste, deodorant, bodywash, toothbrush, hairbrush/comb, styling products if you use them, don't bring perfumes/cologne that overwhelm some people at the con will have allergies -- ties into Wheaton's Law- don't be a dick.. .shower every day, brush yoru teeth etc.. bring breath mints etc
    5. Cash and Debit/Credit cards. You will want to spend money. If you are wise set yourself a budget.. Hitting the Sanshee booth one to many times can screw up your budget and if you're an adult as most of us are you have things like rent and student loans that you will also have to pay in March.
    6. Some type of bag- to avoid pickpockets etc (cause Enforcers and BCEC staff aren't gonna catch everything- it happens when you are watching 100,000+ people a day) get some type of belt pouch that attaches to hold your cell phone/3DS/Cash/Cards/ID also a bag to hold your SWAG.
    7. Several pairs of thick socks not little thin socks like you get cheap at Target, thick athletic socks or boot socks
    8. Charger pack and cords for your phone, camera, handhelds etc. Bring a backup charger pack in case you cannot find a plug
    9. Water bottle - bottled water is expensive at the food stands in the con.. about $3 for a bottle of Aquafina. There are fountains and water coolers throughout the show.. use these. Don't drink soda, coffee, tea, energy drinks. They won't keep you hydrated or energized and if you are like me drinking those things will only mean having to go to the bathroom more. To avoid having to carry the water bottle the entire time get the kind with the carabineer clip that attaches to your belt or bring a bag with a water bottle holder.
    10. Laptop/Tablet preferably a less expensive one (as in do not bring your $3K brand new ASUS gaming laptop to PAX with you, stick with a less expensive one even if you have to do Rent a Center for a weekend)
    11. A Book- it is always good to have whatever book you are reading with you. Many of us are shy, geeky introverts and sometimes a few minutes in a chair in a corner on the 2nd floor with your nose in a book can help you recharge even if the con is extremely busy). Not to mention it gives you something to do on the bus/train/plane here.. Ignore this if you are reading something via Kindle. IBooks, Google Play Books, or listening to something on Audible
    12. Snacks-- vending machines for things like candy bars, soda, granola bars, chips etc tend to be exorbitant in Boston (we are talking $4 for a 20 oz Pepsi) so having snacks handy in your hotel room is always a good thing. There is a Trader Joes just around the corner from South Station you can stop at if weight limits on your luggage prevent you from bringing snacks along with you in your luggage (of if you are traveling form overseas, customs laws prevent you from bringing snack foods with you)
    13. Travel pillow and blanket especially if you are sharing a room with multiple people

deestar on
  • Options
    SuperChuckSuperChuck Registered User regular
    I'm gonna go ahead and buck the trend a bit and advise AGAINST bringing a water bottle to refill. The water fountains ("bubblers") are plentiful, but VERY shallow and a royal pain in the butt to refill bottles in.

I suggest bringing a full bottle (or 2 or 3 if you don't mind the weight) from home/hotel and supplementing with a combination of drinking from the water fountain and buying overpriced bottles. Some of the panel rooms will also have a water cooler if you're lucky.

Also, bring a BACKPACK (two straps) if you can. I usually bring a messenger-style back and it leaves my shoulder & neck muscles in pain.

• Options
    There have been some amazing suggestions by people so far. As an attendee since East's humble beginnings, there are a few recommendations that I'd love to offer.

1. Writing Utensils. It goes without saying, but you never know who's going to show up or who you'll run into. The year Lollipop Chainsaw was being demoed, I had no idea that greeting people at the exit was Suda-51 himself! Ken Levine, Cliff Blizinski, and Tim Schaefer are just a few people who stopped by, and it's always handy to have something other than a camera to capture that moment. I recommend a black sharpee, a silver sharpee, and a pen. I also bring a fine tipped sharpee, but that's totally up to you.
    2. Your favorite TCG deck or tabletop pieces. If you've never attended PAX before, believe me you can find just about anything being played. Last year, people were playing pogs in the FFXIV panel line. POGS! If you play MTG, Pokemon, Hero Clix, or even My Little Pony, bring a deck! You never know if you'll find an opportunity to play and maybe make a new friend.
    3. Elastics. I can't count how many times I passed up a free poster because I didn't want to deal with the awkwardness of it unrolling from basic movement. Don't let it happen to you!
    4. Multiple forms of entertainment. Whether you're in line for a demo or waiting in a queue room to go to a panel, you're going to end up in a situation at some point or another where you'll need to occupy your mind. Diversify your options to keep things fresh! If you're knee deep in a massive novel, that's one thing. But never put yourself in a position to rely on only one thing. What if it breaks? What if it runs out of energy? WHAT IF ALIENS INVADE BOSTON AND THE ONLY HOPE FOR OUR SURVIVAL IS YOUR KINDLE FIRE HD?? Exactly. You may have saved our species, and I'm grateful that you did, but now you're bored as s***. AND you can't finish Half-Blood Prince. Bummer.
    5. And most importantly, Positive Attitude. Look, let's keep it real for a second. PAX East is a gift forged by the gods for us to enjoy. Yes, we pay to attend. But back in my day, things like this didn't exist. We read about E3 in a magazine a month later, dreaming of a day when we could attend something so cool. PAX is a celebration of nerd culture. It's the one time a year for some of us to gather together and bask in the glory that is gaming. There are going to be lines. There are going to be times you'll have to wait for food or a bathroom break. And there are going to be areas where things can get congested. I'm human just as much as the next person, and things upset me too. But remember that we're all there to share a common interest, and above all we're there to have fun. So don't be the rain on the parade. Smile! IT'S PAX EAST, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!

Can't wait. :biggrin:

erdub14zr3u2.png

• Options
    edited February 2017
    MephistoN7 wrote: »

1. Writing Utensils. It goes without saying, but you never know who's going to show up or who you'll run into. The year Lollipop Chainsaw was being demoed, I had no idea that greeting people at the exit was Suda-51 himself! Ken Levine, Cliff Blizinski, and Tim Schaefer are just a few people who stopped by, and it's always handy to have something other than a camera to capture that moment. I recommend a black sharpee, a silver sharpee, and a pen. I also bring a fine tipped sharpee, but that's totally up to you.

2. Your favorite TCG deck or tabletop pieces. If you've never attended PAX before, believe me you can find just about anything being played. Last year, people were playing pogs in the FFXIV panel line. POGS! If you play MTG, Pokemon, Hero Clix, or even My Little Pony, bring a deck! You never know if you'll find an opportunity to play and maybe make a new friend.
    I'd forgotten about a pen! I'm always searching for one at some point! Thank you for reminding me.

And Pogs are cool, but if you bring them...well, bring a reasonable amount.

Don't be Dan.
    http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/0/5294/2843330-dan-pog.gif

zerzhul on
    My pin lanyard

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    I'd forgotten about a pen! I'm always searching for one at some point! Thank you for reminding me.

If you forget, I'll spot you. I always bring spares. :+1:

erdub14zr3u2.png

• Options
    sigma8sigma8 Registered User regular
    I've found that even my iPad Air 2 feels heavy after lugging it around all day. I used to show up with my laptop and my DS, but I've since learned that I might as well show up with concrete boots.

I'd say if you're showing up with more than your phone and a charging cable, you should have a way to ditch your acquisitions ASAP (hotel room, car, etc..) or make sure you take frequently sit-down breaks with ample space (i.e. most panel discussions don't count...I find it stressful to manage a pile of stuff when I'm in a crowded panel).

That said, hand sanitizer is a great idea. So is some kind of minty gum or breath strip.

For those in shared sleeping situations, I'd recommend ear plugs over sleeping pills. No sense drugging yourself to a poor sleep among snoring roommates when you can just block the sound sleep well.

• Options
    yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    For me the biggest things are a portable phone charger (or several haha) as I found so many booths gave out swag if you do something such as Like their page, tweet a pic, download their app etc. Sometimes you get pretty cool stuff and you are not going to want a dead battery by the end of the day. Make sure your backpack isn't stuffed when you enter. Leave plenty of room for swag so that you can be hands free.

Also for the backpack, I recommend using one with those mesh side pockets so you can easily grab your water bottle. I dunno why but last year especially it was so dry in there, I was constantly drinking my water and in the big crowds it can be a pain to rummage through to find something.

And if you are from New England, skip the jacket. Unless they are predicting freezing temps, you will be just as warm with a sweatshirt, hat and gloves. Like said above, wear layers. You dont want to be lugging around extra heavy clothing for the rest of the day. There is a coat/bag check you can pay for but it can get pretty full, costs money and you have to remember to go back for your crap lol.

But the MOST important thing to bring is comfy shoes. Especially if you plan on standing in some of those 2-3 hour lines. Get good shoes. Break them in. Wear them NOW every day until the convention. You will be in tons of pain if you have bad shoes.

• Options
    Another tip: I would recommend a charging wire plus the smallest plug you have for it (e.g. like the smaller apple two-prong wall-plug), rather than a battery.

Reason: batteries are significantly heavier, and only carry so much juice. If you're geared for wall-charging, you'll weigh less and be able to tap unlimited power. Charge breaks will perform dual duty as feet breaks.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    sigma8 wrote: »
    Another tip: I would recommend a charging wire plus the smallest plug you have for it (e.g. like the smaller apple two-prong wall-plug), rather than a battery.

Reason: batteries are significantly heavier, and only carry so much juice. If you're geared for wall-charging, you'll weigh less and be able to tap unlimited power. Charge breaks will perform dual duty as feet breaks.
    The apple chargers have different specs which will affect your charge time.

io1CSga.jpg
    This is the standard iPad charger, and it has like double the amperage over the standard iPhone wall plug. It may have have a slightly bigger footprint than the other, but it'll charge your devices much more quickly.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Also, you cannot guarantee that you'll find an open wall plug in the con centre. You can always charge batteries in your hotel room overnight. And of course, you're tethered to the wall for as long as you want to charge.

It's a tradeoff, is all I';m saying: convienience and mobility, but heavier and can run out vs. light weight and unlimited powah, but in short supply and you can't go anywhere

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2017

io1CSga.jpg
    This is the standard iPad charger, and it has like double the amperage over the standard iPhone wall plug. It may have have a slightly bigger footprint than the other, but it'll charge your devices much more quickly.
    Devices do not necessarily draw whatever can be supplied. Some may still not take full advantage. In general, though, I agree that it's good to have the maximum charger capability that your device can support.

As to the initial comment about charging via the wall and not battery... good luck finding an open outlet at your convenience.

Personally, I keep a 20000mAh battery in my pocket and keep my phone plugged in to it at all possible times. I can keep my phone and my 3DS charged for 2 days with it, at least. I have a second one that I keep plugged in at the hotel to swap out after the first couple days while recharging the other.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    As to the initial comment about charging via the wall and not battery... good luck finding an open outlet at your convenience.

Of all the sights to see at PAX, there is nothing better than watching someone charging from a floor outlet while queued outside a panel, only to realize like a deer in headlights that the line is starting to move.

Like a hiker setting up base camp... around a power source.

erdub14zr3u2.png

• Options
    InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    Don't forget to plan for daylight savings. It happens Mar 12th again this year so you'll lose an hour of precious sleep right in the middle of the con.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • Options
    RedK232RedK232 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    is it? Well that sucks. So that means when it hits 2am Saturday which is technically Sunday it will really be 3?. The Sat parties are gonna feel like they fly by if any go till 2am lol.

RedK232 on
    xhdr64jir3c2.png
  • Options
    MarioManiacMarioManiac Registered User regular
    I ordered one of these from Amazon a couple months ago. It's an Aukey 5-Port USB charger with Qualcomm Quickcharge tecnology. Only downside is the device you're charging has to have that technology too for the quickcharge to work, but this is still handy even at the regular charge speed. You just need one electrical outlet, but you get 5 USB ports. You can quickly become several peoples friends with this! I also ordered a 20000mah Aukey power bank too. Here are links to both: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0176HQ1O8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BBYJQ5I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious shit!"
    signature_zpsh4qstnbp.png
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/MarioManiac
  • Options
    SuperChuckSuperChuck Registered User regular
    Yes! A battery backup for your phone!

The BCEC eats phone batteries. I don't know if it's all the concrete or the high concentration of signals or if nerds just absorb electricity, but I've had phone batteries that normally last for days die before lunch at PAX East.

Charging from outlets is damn near impossible and usually defeats the purpose. It seems all the lines for panels are on the wall opposite the outlets, so you have to go plug in your phone on the other side of the hallway (mind you, these hallways are 10-20 feet wide) and watch your phone as it charges. And twiddle your thumbs. Wondering what you could be doing if you had your phone. Because the time you want to USE your phone is when you're standing in line waiting for something.

I prefer a "slim" battery because I like to pack light. Mine is a 5000mAH and I've never worn it down. If you plan on spending the weekend with your head buried in your phone or other device, you may want a larger one, but for general use, it works great. I also suggest pairing it with a "stubby" cable. Amazon Basics has some cables that are like 3 inches long; just enough to connect from the charger to the phone, so you don't have to wrestle with cables.

Charger: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EKXR67M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Lightning cable: https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Apple-Certified-Lightning-Cable/dp/B010U3XA0I/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1487941555&sr=1-1&keywords=4+inch+cable

• Options
    HazelHalfBloodHazelHalfBlood Unapologetic Dungeons and Dragons Enthusiast New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Last year I discovered how AMAZING those little pre-made packets of tuna were for a quick snack at the convention! Especially when your waiting in line for something and can't make it out for lunch. Portable chargers are the BEST and a good water bottle will be your best friend. Also dressing in layers is super helpful. Depending on the weather you can go between freezing cold temps to super warm and stuffy. Being able to shed a sweatshirt can make you feel 100% better!

Every year I try to pack things that will make the weekend as comfortable as possible. Things like extra pairs of comfy socks, snacks for the hotel room, and some cool bath stuff to get me up and moving every morning (I normally do a Lush haul right before PAX and it's amazing).

But I've always had issues trying to find a nice set of shoe inserts. I have two broken in pairs of shoes that will be fine for normal amounts of walking but I'd love to pad them with something to keep my feet happy for all the hiking I'll be doing at the convention. What would you suggest???

PAX Unplugged 2018 .... We Have Our...Passes [X] Hotel [X] Bus [..] Packed [..]

2afaq20.png

Proud Cookie Brigade Supporter
  • Options
    edited February 2017

io1CSga.jpg
    I have both this kind of charger, and the smaller kind. I forget the science, but chargers are more like straws. In order to avoid awkward metaphors involving human beings, let's say these straws are hooked up to pumps. If you hook narrow straws to a weak pump and a strong pump, the bottleneck will be the straw.

If you hook up wide straws (large-opening smoothie straw, say) to a weak pump and a strong pump, the weak pump may not be able to fully capitalize upon the extra volume of the straw.

So, with chargers, phones typically do not require nearly as much juice to maintain a normal rate of charging. Plugging them into a higher voltage charger will not appreciably speed up the charging process.

However, tablets generally do require more juice to charge their batteries, so using a bigger adapter for them is useful.

TL;DR
    if you're only bringing your phone, I wouldn't bother bringing a 10v charger, the 5v one will be more portable and charge at the same speed.
    mMP1U.jpg

sigma8 on
  • Options
    But I've always had issues trying to find a nice set of shoe inserts. I have two broken in pairs of shoes that will be fine for normal amounts of walking but I'd love to pad them with something to keep my feet happy for all the hiking I'll be doing at the convention. What would you suggest???

So, I'm a big guy (I prefer the term "sexual tyrannosaurus", but this hasn't caught on in the modern lexicon). But more importantly, my left foot has minimal arch. So as you can imagine, 36 hours of foot traffic around a big building isn't the greatest experience- even if it is PAX. Years ago, I invested in the Dr. Scholls inserts where you measure your feet on a scanning device in stores. The caveat is that yes, this is an expensive option, running $40 to 55 depending on severity of the insert. But you have to weigh the option of comfort vs cost. And since I can use these in my daily life, it was a no brainer.

erdub14zr3u2.png

• Options
    ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    If you have the real estate in your bag, think about bringing an outlet splitter - one with USB outlets is a plus! I've found that people are more than willing to temporarily unplug their phone or laptop so you can plug in a splitter and you can both charge. I have the cheaper version of this one and it's great.

UyhWici.png
  • Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    One tip I still follow is to bring an extra power strip or two to your hotel, especially if you are sharing. After you plug in your phone, your latptop/ipad, 3DS, Switch, Vita, portable battery, and etc, you're going to run out of plugs real fast. A cheap amazon power strip is a must.

• Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Oh, Keroan, I second the power strip suggestion! I attend with my two sons, and extra power strips are a godsend. I even take a compact one in my backpack anywhere I go during PAX. It helps alot at the handheld lounge if i'm sitting near an outlet.