As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Volstagg the [chat]ious

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure Last Week Tonight's effects are, in general, affirmational for its audience when it come sto commentary on politics rather than stupid non-partisan policy issues

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I remember the urban legend that mcdonalds apple pies were actually potato. I remember my brother looking me in the eye and saying that, hoping it would gross me out.

"Oh. That's weird. what's wrong with potatoes? I like potatoes."

"I guess I do too."

"Those apple pies are good."

"Let's do the 2 for a dollar deal."

"OK"

The pastry in McDonald's pies is just ... there's something terribly wrong with it. It's got this incredibly weird mouthfeel after you are done eating one that is just unpleasant and wrong and lasts for ages.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I am pretty sure Last Week Tonight's effects are, in general, affirmational for its audience when it come sto commentary on politics rather than stupid non-partisan policy issues
    Given how thorough it is in its citation and extensive use of video evidence to nail people to the wall, I'm gonna disagree.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Full Frontal even more so

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I had a feeling that the McDonald's apple pie was vegan; why would McDonald's spring for butter or egg if it could just sell pie-inspired cinnamon-apple snacks?

Which turned out to be a correct suspicion, so it has been a good snack for me on road trips

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    You can just say "virtue signaling" Apo

We know what you mean

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    I had a feeling that the McDonald's apple pie was vegan; why would McDonald's spring for butter or egg if it could just sell pie-inspired cinnamon-apple snacks?

Which turned out to be a correct suspicion, so it has been a good snack for me on road trips
    ... Is it actually vegan like confirmed? On the real?

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    8BZsaiY.jpg

a painting

not a painting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h--P8HzYZ74
    It's a music video.

idgi

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Just drove around a bend on a highway and saw Mt Hermon which is in Syria. It's an interesting day. Jordan to the right, Lebanon to the left.

@Hakkekage

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    8BZsaiY.jpg

a painting

not a painting

It's a music video.

nope

you posted a music video

I posted an oil and acrylic painting

Yes, that's why I said I posted something that wasn't a painting. :)

Harry Dresden on
    knitdan wrote: »

We know what you mean

I don't think that applies in this instance. I am saying that Last Week Tonight doesn't do much other than make us feel good about ourselves and entertain us.

We know what you mean

I don't think that applies in this instance. I am saying that Last Week Tonight doesn't do much other than make us feel good about ourselves and entertain us.

It informs, which is basically it's whole goal.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Jon Oliver gets too much credit when the pieces are just combining long magazine articles/PBS specials

8BZsaiY.jpg

a painting

not a painting

It's a music video.

nope

you posted a music video

I posted an oil and acrylic painting

Yes, that's why I said I posted something that wasn't a painting. :)

go to jail post haste

ftOqU21.png
    Coinage wrote: »
    Jon Oliver gets too much credit when the pieces are just combining long magazine articles/PBS specials
    They actually did an episode about that and advocated supporting your local press outlets / the national ones too.

John Oliver
    Jon Stewart

Henroid wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »

... Is it actually vegan like confirmed? On the real?

McDonald's doesn't put out a list or anything like that, but the ingredients check out

edited February 2017

We know what you mean

Nah, LWT targets terrible people's actions in other countries too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79LLhRAozUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

I'm sure what exactly your issue is here, do you want comedy shows to ignore Trump? He's a comedic goldmine, unlike Obama.

edit: I'd also say it does more than just entertain. Sure, it's primarily a comedy show but they are great at uncovering details - kind of like the Daily Show under John Stewart.

Harry Dresden on
    FEDE-4-generale-piccola-900x900.jpg

same artist (marco grassi)

ftOqU21.png
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I play Gigantic, and they just published the pick-rates for the different heroes. I mostly play 2, and it turns out that one is the most popular hero and the other is the second least popular one.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    shryke wrote: »

We know what you mean

Information with which people do very little and has even less effect on the "other side"

John Oliver
    Jon Stewart
    Spelling signalling

edited February 2017

We know what you mean

I'm sure what exactly your issue is here, do you want comedy shows to ignore Trump? He's a comedic goldmine, unlike Obama.

edit: I'd also say it does more than just entertain. Sure, it's primarily a comedy show but they are great at uncovering details - kind of like the Daily Show under John Stewart.

It is both informative and entertaining but ultimately little more than affirmational - it makes us feel good as having our politics presented to us via polemics against novel issues is fun.

edit: but this is magnified when Oliver takes aim at the republicans. Our reaction to a well put skewering is not going to be shared by the republicans. The fawning praise over Bee or Oliver for "destroying Trump" or whatever is rarely reflective of the reality.

Apothe0sis on

We know what you mean

Information with which people do very little and has even less effect on the "other side"

That describes traditional news sources like the NYT or something too so, like, I don't know what you think your point is here.

We know what you mean

It informs people, which in turn will impact what they do when elections come up. You underestimate how difficult it is to get through to the other side, who thought Colbert's character on The Colbert Report was being played without irony.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Also keep in mind that it doesn't matter how much research or information LWT presents, as the other side doesn't care and doesn't need to justify their decisions to anyone through rational argument

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    FIGHT "OTHERS"

edited February 2017
    It is both informative and entertaining but ultimately little more than affirmational - it makes us feel good as having our politics presented to us via polemics against novel issues is fun.

You think political issues can't be polemics? I'd like to see an example of what you think a report on Trump is non-partisan one way or another.

edit: You're also ignoring that the other side do this, too. Though they're more like Fox News than the Daily Show.

edit: Watch the videos I linked upthread, I'd like to know if any of that is informative to you.
    edit: but this is magnified when Oliver takes aim at the republicans. Our reaction to a well put skewering is not going to be shared by the republicans. The fawning praise over Bee or Oliver for "destroying Trump" or whatever is rarely reflective of the reality.

As in that the criticisms don't have value how they do that or that you don't believe any of it?

Harry Dresden on
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    FIGHT "OTHERS"

You wot?!

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Ah fuck, that movie really got me at the end there.

Fuck fuck fuck.

God this movie was great.

vRyue2p.png
    I just looked up the annual subscription rates to the New York Times and Washington Post and hot damn, those are way WAY cheaper than I would've guessed. I might just throw down money on it to do my small part to help them keep operating.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Okay, I think I can return to my slumber again.

My pretty lady is sleeping soundly, so hopefully pain meds and general TLC have helped mitigate her ankle discomfort.

Good night again, [chat]

Be good to yourself and to each other <3

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    @Jacobkosh @knitdan sorry I didn't get to streaming tonight, I was caught up in this movie and pausing it every once in awhile to gush about it in [chat].

vRyue2p.png
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Okay, I think I can return to my slumber again.

My pretty lady is sleeping soundly, so hopefully pain meds and general TLC have helped mitigate her ankle discomfort.

Good night again, [chat]

Be good to yourself and to each other <3

Look out everyone, the narwal is going rogue!

We know what you mean

It informs people, which in turn will impact what they do when elections come up. You underestimate how difficult it is to get through to the other side, who thought Colbert's character on The Colbert Report was being played without irony.
    Thinking that Stephen himself was conservative is not the same thing as not realizing the show was a joke.

We know what you mean

Republicans can't even agree on reality so I'm not sure what you expect. Again, this is just as applicable to the most respected of traditional news sources.

Well anyway, tonight's LWT focused on the Affordable Care Act and everything that's been going on under this presidency regarding it. It calls special attention to what's been happening at all the town halls where people are yelling at their representatives to not repeal the ACA. My favorite is the guy in Florida who actually argued back at his (elderly) constituency, telling them they were wrong and calling them children.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I like Oliver a lot, and his show is funny, as was the Bugle. For my politics, though, I don't find it and things like it terribly helpful, in quite a few ways. I appreciate its disrespect for power but what it provides besides that, and you see this generalized in the mass response of many people extolling the destruction of whatever target John picked, is catharsis. And catharsis not derived not from actual political victory is a dangerous thing.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    FYI I was correctly gendered 100% of the time in the Windy City

gg, Chicago

This discussion has been closed.