As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

knitdan's super happy natural goodtime family [chat]

knitdanknitdan In ur baseKillin ur guysRegistered User regular
I love you all

Be nice

Don't be not nice

And whatever you do

Don't feed the bears

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
-Indiana Solo, runner of blades

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Elki I can't tell if that's real.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Be good to each other

OR ELSE

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I wish actors would shut up about politics and just do their job like everyone else in the world definitely does.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Elki's comments re: catharsis are bang on. And almost certainly make the below redundant as it gets to the heart of the matter in a much more eloquent fashion (but also, "catharsis without victory is dangerous" is rife to be turned into an aphorism which, as previously noted, concern me wrt how inordinately fascinating and compelling we find them)
    shryke wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    You can just say "virtue signaling" Apo

We know what you mean

I don't think that applies in this instance. I am saying that Last Week Tonight doesn't do much other than make us feel good about ourselves and entertain us.

It informs, which is basically it's whole goal.

Information with which people do very little and has even less effect on the "other side"

That describes traditional news sources like the NYT or something too so, like, I don't know what you think your point is here.
    The internet at large doesn't react to the NYT in the same fashion as LWT - we don't see a bunch of click baitish articles about how the NYT destroyed Trump or Bee having trapped the republicans in a dilemma or whatever. And despite those articles and the episodes to which they refer Trump is president, the GOP machine grinds on, uncaringly.

Hell the way any individual consumes the NYT vs Full Frontal is entirely different. You don't feel like you've just received a big warm hug after reading the NYT even if the informational content is ostensibly the same.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    What is going on with this serial killer Emma stone thing

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Is there some sort of joke about how Stone and Gosling were first together in a movie called Serial Killers?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Oh by the way,

Edit - Oh shoot, there's manbutt in thong NSFW a few times in this episode.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEGpriv2TAc

Henroid on
    Koalas aren't bears

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    It's no doge [chat]

I accidentally did the Merchant mini-quest in Wind Waker HD 100% perfect, no error, no research to make sure I was doing it right. Weird thing to be proud of but here I am.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It's a riff on the inevitable response actors get from "the public" whenever they say something political.

Folks get up in arms over the most innocuous thing so the twitter account has pretended that Emma stone said something awful that would elicit an outraged response from some old fogey.

As in the chat contains no doges or the chat is not as good as doge chat?

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Koalas aren't bears

Feathery dinosaurs

Pluto getting taken away

Now non-bear koalas

What is going on in the world and how do we blame immigrants for it

I blame the paucity of content in this [chat]'s OP on the youth of today, and old people.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Is there some sort of joke about how Stone and Gosling were first together in a movie called Serial Killers?

I'm just taking it at face value and being very amused

ftOqU21.png
    I should have gone with a poll.

It's a riff on the inevitable response actors get from "the public" whenever they say something political.

Folks get up in arms over the most innocuous thing so the twitter account has pretended that Emma stone said something awful that would elicit an outraged response from some old fogey.
    A couple weeks ago, Notch lost his shit at some video game company (I think it was a vg company) because it had tweeted out "be nice to each other", calling it 'getting political.'

Just to demonstrate how innocuous things have to be to generate outrage from loonies.

It's no doge [chat]
    WMtb5gC.jpg

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I think what John Oliver does is important, and I personally am informed about a lot of stuff by watching his show, and I agree with Jacob's idea that information sort of trickles out to the general populace through stuff like this, and that's valuable even if it's not necessarily reaching the Other Side.

That being said, though, I am completely fucking sick and tired of "JOHN OLIVER EVISCERATES TRUMP" or "REPUBLICAN PLATFORM DESTROYED ON LAST WEEK TONIGHT" headlines from liberal blogs and stuff because no, they weren't, even figuratively. And then my friends post these things on their walls and everybody jacks off on them together and I'm just so sick of fake victories.

vRyue2p.png
    Giant panda on the other hand really are bears

My world is collapsing

b00VRvb.png

ftOqU21.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

No

fuck gendered marketing
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

What will you feed the bears?

1) Pic-a-nic baskets
    2) Salmon
    3) Pulled pork sanwiches

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

No

Poll: Should knitdan have added a poll to this [chat]?

- Yes
    - No
    - [chat in-joke]

vRyue2p.png
    4) emnmnme

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Wide awake which is half expected cause I did sleep all day BUT also cause I slept in the kiddo bed and im either having some kind of allergic reaction to his bed or I we have bedbugs but no one else gets bitten in there so I wish I knew what the fuck was going on.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Elki's comments re: catharsis are bang on. And almost certainly make the below redundant as it gets to the heart of the matter in a much more eloquent fashion (but also, "catharsis without victory is dangerous" is rife to be turned into an aphorism which, as previously noted, concern me wrt how inordinately fascinating and compelling we find them)
    You can just say "virtue signaling" Apo

We know what you mean

I don't think that applies in this instance. I am saying that Last Week Tonight doesn't do much other than make us feel good about ourselves and entertain us.

It informs, which is basically it's whole goal.

Information with which people do very little and has even less effect on the "other side"

That describes traditional news sources like the NYT or something too so, like, I don't know what you think your point is here.
    The internet at large doesn't react to the NYT in the same fashion as LWT - we don't see a bunch of click baitish articles about how the NYT destroyed Trump or Bee having trapped the republicans in a dilemma or whatever. And despite those articles and the episodes to which they refer Trump is president, the GOP machine grinds on, uncaringly.

Hell the way any individual consumes the NYT vs Full Frontal is entirely different. You don't feel like you've just received a big warm hug after reading the NYT even if the informational content is ostensibly the same.

The reactions to these information sources are not really all that different though. Listen to a political podcast, read a website/blog/op-ed column/etc reacting a news story or just read the forum right here and you'll see the same kind of shit. The only real difference is the style. One is a "mind-blowing exposee" the other is a "hilarious takedown" or something, but it's all the same shit. Someone pointed out last thread that alot of what LWT does it condense long-form journalism down into entertaining segments. And while this isn't quite true, as the show genuinely does some research of it's own, it's not all that inaccurate in substance. It's the same information as you'll get in a report from a real news source.

If your criteria is whether the GOP cares, none of this shit matters. It doesn't matter if it's WaPo writing another article about shocking Trump-Russia connections or LWT talking about that article with some dick jokes throw in for spice. Neither is gonna be better or worse then the other by that criteria because the GOP don't care either way.

But both also do the same shit too. They inform people. Maybe they get people involved. And sometimes they convince them to get out and do shit.

This seems just like a standard attempt to play at being aloof and worldly while mostly just being cynical.

shryke on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    It's no doge [chat]
    WMtb5gC.jpg

That pug just looks incredibly sad at what he's been forced to endure.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    It's no doge [chat]
    WMtb5gC.jpg

That's just his sad, pugly face

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    It's no doge [chat]
    WMtb5gC.jpg

I'd be pretty mad too if people were mistaking me for a crocco.

god this day is a really slow start

I am like only barely less tired than when I fell asleep yesterday

time to kick the caffeination into high gear

ftOqU21.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

On the other hand, it keeps the public informed of what's going on in a way many news organizations don't and enthuses a side.

I have yet to hear what your conclusion is with this stance, do you not want there to be political satire shows?

Yes, the internet reacts different due to the format, though I'm unsure why this is a negative.

By what standards are you judging these shows to be worthwhile? Do you hold them to the same standards as regular news shows? What about how they inform America about global issues, like Brexit and FIFA? Isn't that a worthwhile goal? Is entertainment alone not enough to keep them on the air in your view?

I don't see what's so bad about the last sentence.

It's no doge [chat]
    WMtb5gC.jpg

Specifically, this brachyceplalic life

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Notch has plainly gone a bit mental.

What's he done?

emnmnme wrote: »

What's he done?
    He's a bit of an angry-at-benign-things nutcase on social media. And often flexes his "I'm rich you're not" position to excuse it.

I got some fun projects for the cave

one is that the light guy wants us to replace and mount some spots and hang some... whatever the term is for those standard pipes you use for stage lights.

Which is gonna be fun because like, I have very little experience with electrical work so wiring lights is gonna be cool

ftOqU21.png
    emnmnme wrote: »

What's he done?

I heard he bought a tasteless house filled with tawdry baubles that mark him out as one of the nouveau riche.

This discussion has been closed.