As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

#[Oscars]SoTonight

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So I was 100% expecting La La Land to win.

...But I wanted Moonlight to win, so that's what I put on my oscar ballot. Just, you know, on the off chance it would cause the universe to rewrite itself and make Moonlight the winner.

hZc5JsB.jpg?1

And holy shit it worked!

wandering on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

...But I wanted Moonlight to win, so that's what I put on my oscar ballot. Just, you know, on the off chance it would cause the universe to rewrite itself and make Moonlight the winner.

hZc5JsB.jpg?1

And holy shit it worked!

Whoever controls wandering controls the Oscars.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Haha your crossed out x on La La Land on best picture is hilarious

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

hZc5JsB.jpg?1

And holy shit it worked!

Had you entered the Oscar prediction pool in SE++... you would have tied for 1st place.

DarkPrimus on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I'm shocked La La Land won for City of Stars over Audition.

Audition is the better song I think and also fellates Hollywood more. IT seemed a shoe-in.
    Yeah. I haven't listened to the sting song, but it's easily the worst of the rest of them.

steam_sig.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    That's surprising but, fuck, I'm down with Moonlight winning.

Glad Emma Stone won though. That was the big one for me. She fucking deserved it. There's a whole audition scene near the start of the movie that is her basically just showing off.

• November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    CERN needs to answer for the election, the Super Bowl, and Oscars 2017.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular

Glad Emma Stone won though. That was the big one for me. She fucking deserved it. There's a whole audition scene near the start of the movie that is her basically just showing off.

Hey, she technically won twice!

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Yeah, the pretzel-thespianism of acting like someone acting, distractedly and poorly, pretty much demands an Oscar.

It's definitely more impressive than choking down a bison liver and getting bear-fucked.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Hey, she technically won twice!

Only person to ever win Best Picture as the Best Picture.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    So down with Moonlight winning best picture!

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    CERN needs to answer for the election, the Super Bowl, and Oscars 2017.

I can tell you that, we're in an episode of Black Mirror.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I didn't see almost any movies that made the Oscar cut but I have to say, when I see this comparison, my head spins.

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Portman isn't there? Huh.

Based on that shot of her from the tweets bit, she wouldn't have enjoyed sitting there for 4 hours.

correct, Portman said earlier that she wouldn't be attending due to her pregnancy.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I didn't see almost any movies that made the Oscar cut but I have to say, when I see this comparison, my head spins.

1) Disingenuous comparison when SS has Killer Croc, Enchantress etc in it
    2) Best Make-Up does not mean 'Best Special Effects Make-Up'
    3) I still think STB should have won

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Suicide Squad had lots of aggressively bad makeup

I don't think that also having some good makeup makes up for it

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

1) Disingenuous comparison when SS has Killer Croc, Enchantress etc in it
    2) Best Make-Up does not mean 'Best Special Effects Make-Up'
    3) I still think STB should have won

*ahem*

hqdefault.jpg

Katana's costume was pretty cool, but I don't think that falls in the make up category.

26c2c69e3d37802b148ca141e71f5421.jpg

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    As somebody who works in live TV, my empathy panic flared up something fierce watching the video of the Best Picture going wrong.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, I want to point out that tweet's comparison is about as unbiased as those Facebook posts your uncle posts comparing a set of lyrics from a particular Led Zeppelin song to something by Nicki Minaj and claiming it proves the decline of modern music; it's a cherry picked example to go from a highly produced prosthetic to Harley Quinn's getup, when there were plenty of examples in each film of both well-produced prosthetics and minimal makeup.

Suicide Squad was nominated, it went through the process of elimination until it was in the final three, and then it won. You might not have liked the film - lord knows I think Crash didn't deserve an Oscar - but that's entirely separate from the solid and noteworthy work done by the makeup and hairstyle team for Suicide Squad.

simonwolf on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Watching that ending this morning it seemed to be karma for hollywood's endless lecturing and preening. There was less confusion in a chinese movie script than in that envelope last night.

I haven't seen Beatty flounder that badly since Ishtar.

Fay Dunaway, moer liek Faye Runaway after that debacle m i rite. Did anyone get the license plate of that bus Beatty threw Dunaway under?

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »

Also a movie thats more than a bit racist

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    Ben Foster needs an Oscar soon I think

I saw him and Gillian Anderson in a Streetcar named desire and he was really really good

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    La la land is definitely getting best pic

Well, when you're right for five minutes, you're right.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »

Also a movie thats more than a bit racist

Come on though, what does the makeup and hairstyling crew on the film have to do with that?

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I'm sad that Lin Manuel Miranda didn't become the youngest person ever to gain the EGOT, but it was too much to hope that his song would edge in over La La Land's duo. I'm also miffed that the boring as hell "City of Stars" won over the far better "Fools Who Dream" but again I'm not shocked.

Apparently Mahershala Ali is the first Muslim actor ever to win an Oscar. I honestly thought there'd be someone else before him but nope.

I found the mix up funny but felt so bad for everyone involved, especially everyone making the mental switch from "Woohoo! We won!" to "Oh wait, no we didn't..." and poor Faye Dunaway who obviously thought Warren was struggling to read the result rather than trying to let her know something was amiss and thought she was helping when she read out the wrong movie. I do think everyone handled the resulting chaos really well.

I found the mix up funny but felt so bad for everyone involved, especially everyone making the mental switch from "Woohoo! We won!" to "Oh wait, no we didn't..." and poor Faye Dunaway who obviously thought Warren was struggling to read the result rather than trying to let her know something was amiss and thought she was helping when she read out the wrong movie. I do think everyone handled the resulting chaos really well.
    Yeah there was definitely a "Oh no Warren is having a senior moment, I better help" thing when it really was a legitimate something is wrong reaction. Utterly painful to watch but everyone handled it as gracefully as possible.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Really, Omar Sharif never won anything?

*checks*

Bloody disgrace.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I, for one, welcome the Steve Harvey memes on Facebook for the next week.

Dizzy D wrote: »
    Really, Omar Sharif never won anything?

*checks*

Bloody disgrace.

I know, right?! I don't think he even got a lifetime achievement oh-crap-better-give-this-guy-something-before-he-dies award.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

hZc5JsB.jpg?1

And holy shit it worked!

Had you entered the Oscar prediction pool in SE++... you would have tied for 1st place.
    I am kicking myself for not entering, but I dunno if I would've made the same picks if I did enter. Different dynamics at play - at home I play against people who don't really research who the favorites are like I do, and I like to pick a few underdogs in part to handicap myself a bit

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'm sad that Lin Manuel Miranda didn't become the youngest person ever to gain the EGOT, but it was too much to hope that his song would edge in over La La Land's duo. I'm also miffed that the boring as hell "City of Stars" won over the far better "Fools Who Dream" but again I'm not shocked.
    I liked the regular "City of Stars" before it was drummed into our heads by the trailer. By the third or fourth time I was done with it. However, I love the version they do in the film as a duet, and I especially love Emma Stone starting to laugh twice while singing it, since they're such wonderfully warm, natural, imperfect moments.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Fox is calling the Iranian guy that won not being there a boycott.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Thirith wrote: »
    I liked the regular "City of Stars" before it was drummed into our heads by the trailer. By the third or fourth time I was done with it. However, I love the version they do in the film as a duet, and I especially love Emma Stone starting to laugh twice while singing it, since they're such wonderfully warm, natural, imperfect moments.

I think that's my problem. I went to see La La Land and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was fun and clever and a fresh take on a very old fashioned movie format that managed to do something completely new. The thing is, I was looking forward to it because I love musicals, both on film and in theater, and of all the songs in the movie, Fools Who Dream was the only one that stuck with me.

The rest? Nothing. I remember singing and dancing but nothing else. I'm aware of the melody of City of Stars, but aside from those three words I can't tell you any of the lyrics. I can remember the big opening number where everyone's stuck in traffic, but I have no idea what the song was actually about. Somewhere in the Crowd registered a bit more with me, but I still couldn't tell you what any of the lyrics were. Aside from Fools Who Dream, none of the songs were memorable, and they're still not even though I've listened to them all more than once.

That's really unusual for me. I can't think of another musical I've seen where I just wasn't interested in hearing the songs again, never mind coming out not humming a single one of them. The imagery in Fools Who Dream was about the only thing that stuck with me. Heck, the only song lyrics I remembered coming out of La La Land (aside from those that featured the title of the song) were "The water was freezing / she spent a month sneezing / she said she'd do it again."

It might just be I've been spoiled by the likes of Wicked, Les Miserables and years of catchy Disney movies, but I was surprised at what a let down for me the actual musical element of La La Land was.

OptimusZed wrote: »

Yes that's correct. Boycotting because of the Muslim ban.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Oh. I thought he was actually prevented from attending.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.

Oh. I thought he was actually prevented from attending.

I think that was the Syrian guy associated with the short film that won.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I think that's my problem. I went to see La La Land and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was fun and clever and a fresh take on a very old fashioned movie format that managed to do something completely new. The thing is, I was looking forward to it because I love musicals, both on film and in theater, and of all the songs in the movie, Fools Who Dream was the only one that stuck with me.

The rest? Nothing. I remember singing and dancing but nothing else. I'm aware of the melody of City of Stars, but aside from those three words I can't tell you any of the lyrics. I can remember the big opening number where everyone's stuck in traffic, but I have no idea what the song was actually about. Somewhere in the Crowd registered a bit more with me, but I still couldn't tell you what any of the lyrics were. Aside from Fools Who Dream, none of the songs were memorable, and they're still not even though I've listened to them all more than once.

That's really unusual for me. I can't think of another musical I've seen where I just wasn't interested in hearing the songs again, never mind coming out not humming a single one of them. The imagery in Fools Who Dream was about the only thing that stuck with me. Heck, the only song lyrics I remembered coming out of La La Land (aside from those that featured the title of the song) were "The water was freezing / she spent a month sneezing / she said she'd do it again."

It might just be I've been spoiled by the likes of Wicked, Les Miserables and years of catchy Disney movies, but I was surprised at what a let down for me the actual musical element of La La Land was.
    I also like "Fools Who Dream" best, but especially "Another Day of Sun" has grown on me a lot, so much so that I've been oddly obsessed by the song for the last two weeks. Similarly, I've come to really love the "City of Stars" duet. When I'd just left the cinema, though, I couldn't remember a single tune. I can imagine the one or the other happening, but the combination of the two strikes me as odd.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Thirith wrote: »

I also think the way in which La La Land seeks to evoke old Hollywood is particularly soulless and inelegant. I think the decision to make it a modern setting while still evoking that period was the correct choice, but for me it never really gets past anything other than "hey remember old hollywood, pretty great huh??"

The closest it gets is the end fantasy sequence, where they start making movie references one after another, but it's again still just referential in nature.

La La Land feels like someone at a party who starts the conversation with "they don't make them like they used to," but then can't really articulate what they mean by that.

I still liked the movie, but I didn't agree with the critical acclaim it started rolling with at all. And I especially rolled my eyes out of my head when the director started talking about how it was so hard to make the movie and how no one believed in him. Like, are you serious, dude? No one believed in a movie about actors and LA and how hard it is to be living a creative life but how fulfilling it is and how wonderful you all are? Give me a fucking break.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Does it count as a boycott if they refuse to let you into the country? Fuck off fox.

aeNqQM9.jpg