As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: No Zelda Talk Here

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    jesus boys- its almost switch day.

i assume we are all starting play time with zelda- but after that im going Snipperclips/shovel knight.

Whatchalldoingboutthat?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I take work days off to play too - but in this case I just can't justify it. I took last Friday off to take the son and niece to Funspot Arcade in New Hampshire and then next Friday I have off for Pax East. The following week I may be travelling for work and have to work from home one day. So...in order to allow my coworkers to see my shiny happy face in the office I really shouldn't take a day off for the Switch :)

This is all assuming Gamestop comes through on units for slackers who didn't pre-order.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    If anyone doesn't have a pre-order supposedly Best Buys are setting aside 50 units for non pre-orders.

I may try to trade my grey for a neon Switch if there's any chance of that when I pick mine up. Either for a spare they have in store, or with someone who picked up a neon.

Does it seem like there's a majority of grey consoles though? I'm questioning how possible this trade will be.

unlikely. My gamestop had I think 16 to reserve, and 4 of them were the red/blue ones. (I got one).

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Lorek wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Lorek wrote: »
    I am in a terrible, terrible position. It's about a 40 minute commute to work each day. Because I couldn't get on online, I went to pre-order in store at Gamestop; I picked the one that's a 30 second drive from work because I wanted to beat everyone else going right after work to make sure I got one.

Now on Friday I have to drive to work to pick it up and then I'm stuck at work. With the box haunting me, un-opened. I'd start the setup at work, but the WiFi here requires acceptance of terms before it connects you. Which the Switch can't do without the Day-1 update, which I can't download because I can't connect to the WiFi which ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

cell phone data share? get the update then throw her on wifi.

Hmm.. This plan has merit. Have they said how big the day 1 update is? Don't want to eat up my data allowance for the month. Or can phones do hotspots to their connected Wifi networks now? Last time I thought that didn't work, it would only go through your phone data. Oh my god, I'm such an old man, how does technology work!

No, mobile hotspots only use mobile data. That's kind of the entire point, getting other devices connected when there is no other wifi ;)

You could look for a free wifi-hotspot at a local coffee shop or something.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    If anyone doesn't have a pre-order supposedly Best Buys are setting aside 50 units for non pre-orders.

I may try to trade my grey for a neon Switch if there's any chance of that when I pick mine up. Either for a spare they have in store, or with someone who picked up a neon.

Does it seem like there's a majority of grey consoles though? I'm questioning how possible this trade will be.

unlikely. My gamestop had I think 16 to reserve, and 4 of them were the red/blue ones. (I got one).

My Gamestop had already shut down reserves on the red/blue Joy Con set so we had to pre-order grey. I'd say all around stores are expecting more of the grey than neon in both consoles and extra sets.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I take work days off to play too - but in this case I just can't justify it. I took last Friday off to take the son and niece to Funspot Arcade in New Hampshire and then next Friday I have off for Pax East. The following week I may be travelling for work and have to work from home one day. So...in order to allow my coworkers to see my shiny happy face in the office I really shouldn't take a day off for the Switch :)

This is all assuming Gamestop comes through on units for slackers who didn't pre-order.

Is that the place featured in King of Kong? Did you see Steve Wiebe's record on the DK cabinet?!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Apparently those John Cena Switch pics were fake, here's the real pic. From Cena's instagram:

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options

Is that the place featured in King of Kong? Did you see Steve Wiebe's record on the DK cabinet?!

It is - we did see the DK cabinet as well (and played it). It was our second trip there actually, it's pretty amazing. I got to play my two favorite games ever (Popeye and Ms. Pac-Man) and the old Kiss Pinball.

Probably the most fascinating thing I had a chance to play was this https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/hercules. It's enormous. The pinball was the size of a pool cue ball and the bumpers kick so strong the machine shakes a bit. My son almost didn't have the wingspan to play it.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Newegg has a pre-order listing up for the Guardians of the Galaxy Telltale game on the Switch. It has a UPC code and everything:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16878809001&cm_re=guardians_of_the_galaxy_telltale-_-78-809-001-_-Product

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Not sure if this has come up before, but it looks like there will be games on the Switch that are only usable in tablet mode.

http://kotaku.com/not-all-switch-games-will-support-tv-mode-1792783451

That's a bit surprising.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Not sure if this has come up before, but it looks like there will be games on the Switch that are only usable in tablet mode.

That's a bit surprising.

well it may be why the touch screen is even there.... easy ports of smaller scale phone stuff

that game in particular is a phone port in japan.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    128 GB micro SD card get! Oddly enough, I ordered it from Amazon UK even though it turns out Sandisk is in Swords, North Dublin. 30 minutes drive away.

I'm on a flexi time system, so I worked an extra day overall last month, and have Switch day off. I'm taking my gf to the hospital (she works there, I'm not going overboard to have the day to myself or anything), then going straight to Gamestop.

I'm torn on the update though, should I start it when I get home, possibly beating the rush? Or should I wait till lunchtime, when I'd have to stop playing anyway?

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

That's a bit surprising.

Wouldn't at all be shocked if this was a japanese market only decision.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea I'm not surprised at all that we'll see Tablet focused/only games.

It of course won't be the majority, and no one would buy a $60US touchscreen only game (ok, not no one, but no one in appreciable numbers to justify the cost). But for porting some mobile games over? Sure, why not.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Just called my bank, Best Buy has not even attempted to charge my card for my Switch purchases yet, even though I made the purchase of the Switch 17 minutes after they allowed 'em...

*worried look*

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

That's a bit surprising.

Region free though right

This has me even more hopeful for switch puzzle and dragons

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »

That's a bit surprising.

Region free though right

This has me even more hopeful for switch puzzle and dragons

Sure, but then you'd be seeking it out and that's fine. Just wouldn't be on the NA eshop.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Just called my bank, Best Buy has not even attempted to charge my card for my Switch purchases yet, even though I made the purchase of the Switch 17 minutes after they allowed 'em...

*worried look*

it's only Monday. Give it time. I'm in the same boat for Best Buy Canada.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Nintendo offering the option to not even develop controls for the console version will open up some more shovelware opportunities, but also might ultimately reduce the interest in developing "console experiences." Every other game system, both in Nintendo and out, has shown that if you don't force a particular technology branch it'll probably languish and ultimately not be part of your core experience.

Though I suppose originally when this came up we all imagined what was basically just a handheld that you could plug into your tv, which could simply be where they're headed. Not a dual console/handheld; just a handheld that can sometimes project onto the tv.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

That's a bit surprising.
    Wait, that means by extension that the Joycon features can't be used. The hell?

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Everything I have heard has said "No touch-only games" and that comes from reliable sources. The very nature of the Switch says no. And agreed - the shovelware problem. Low cost indie entry is awesome but I expect Nintendo to curate as they always have done. I would be upset if they didn't to be honest.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

That's a bit surprising.
    Wait, that means by extension that the Joycon features can't be used. The hell?

I think they were speaking for their game only

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    So, picking up some phone shovelware that people already have access to on their smartphones. Worth the trade off of having a policy where devs can ignore the Switch part of the device and not design for console mode PLUS not use the joycons? I just don't see that as a good trade.

• Options
    I don't get the argument of "they don't have to use the joy con features if they make a touchscreen game"

There's nothing forcing developers from using anything but buttons/joysticks now. No developer has to use the HD rumble, motion controls, IR camera, single joy con mode, etc. Why are we so worried about touchscreen interaction killing the already optional features of the joy con controllers?

I fully understand the argument/fear of the shovel/crapware flooding the store, but that's also a very simple option. You put any touchscreen/mobile only game in their own separate section of the eShop, so (and I'm just using as an example) you won't see Clash Royale and Mario Kart 8 beside each other in the store.

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I REALLY hope that's Japan specific because of their penchant for portable systems. The eShop is very quickly going to become a shit-filled swamp if you can just bring in tablet ports. Discovery is already a problem with the shovelware titles, nevermind when the App Store trash gets brought over. I'm hyped as hell and optimistic about the JoyCons, VC, and all that... but this legitimately worries me.

• Options
    I didn't realize that the dogface grip isn't also a charger. That kinda sucks.

• Options
    This is by no means a comprehensive battery test but I find it kind of hilarious/cool to see all these devices on one table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6Rqaf9lMrg

• Options
    edited February 2017

There's a seperate one you can buy that does charge them. Not sure if you knew that or not so figured I'd add that just in case.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Can you have a set of Joy-Cons on the tablet & dock while playing with another set to allow them to charge?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Can you have a set of Joy-Cons on the tablet & dock while playing with another set to allow them to charge?

yes, you just select the pair you want to activly use..... just as if it were a pro con.

mojojoeo on
  • Options

There's a seperate one you can buy that does charge them. Not sure if you knew that or not so figured I'd add that just in case.

Yeah, just thought it came default. Granted, battery life in them seems like forever and ever so I am not too worried.

• Options
    I know there was some discussion of the deal a few pages ago - Gamestop ended the 50%/60% bonus but are still running a 40%/50% bonus on all games/accessories traded in towards Switch games/accessories. They also have a bonus on Wii U trades pushing the console from $75 to $100 when put towards the Switch.

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

yes, you just select the pair you want to activly use..... just as if it were a pro con.

That's my plan! I'll rotate out when it sits on the Dock.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Is there anywhere I can still preorder this thing?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can still preorder this thing?

No.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I would be okay with a Touch-only mode for one game.

Ouendan 3. (If there isn't one already.)

LETS DO THIS.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I would be okay with a Touch-only mode for one game.

Ouendan 3. (If there isn't one already.)

LETS DO THIS.

Though they'd need to send out protective gloves from all the burns created on fingertips from dragging and spinning.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I wonder if third party charging grips will be a thing. 30 dollars for a charger passthrough seems nuts (there's no battery in the charging grip, right?) but I don't think it'd be that difficult to make a charger for them? And if you have a spare joycon and need to charge that I guess you have to get a charging grip or something right?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I wonder if third party charging grips will be a thing. 30 dollars for a charger passthrough seems nuts (there's no battery in the charging grip, right?) but I don't think it'd be that difficult to make a charger for them? And if you have a spare joycon and need to charge that I guess you have to get a charging grip or something right?

http://www.frys.com/product/9099277?source=google&gclid=CMnohtGFsdICFYIkhgods6gHYA

intead of a grip just alternate on this? or maybe not? also 30$

9099277.01.prod.jpg

mojojoeo on
This discussion has been closed.