As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Friday the 13th : The Game] - Jason lives ... you wont. Out now PS4/Steam/Xbone

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Seems like people were pretty positive on the beta. Is the game shaping up to be $60 good?

This is a question I find myself asking a ton lately. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older and more stingy with my money in relation to buying video games, but unless the game has like a ton of visually accessible content then I generally don't think so. I think if you're a fan of the series, and enjoy asymmetrical gameplay, what was there in beta played just short of great. I think the polish on the final release will be enough to push it into "recommended" territory, but honestly since I love Friday anyway this was always going to be a day one for me. If you're not that big of a Friday fan, I would wait to see what others think of the final product to see if it's worth your money.

I personally can't wait to finally have the option to skip that opening scene of the same girl getting killed over, and over, and over.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    But the preppy teen's face!

4fmegnj10xf9.jpg

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I would laugh every single time.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Anyone play the original NES game lately? It became a lot easier when I learned how to get the torch on day one.

Still haven't beaten it, but that's mainly due to time constraints.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Anyone play the original NES game lately? It became a lot easier when I learned how to get the torch on day one.

Lately, no. I used to play it all the time as a kid along with the Nightmare On Elm Street NES game. Both of which I loved playing, but both are indeed very difficult. Friday is more so because of how confusing it is with its lack of conveyance for general important information. I don't think I've beaten it without a game genie, but I wouldn't mind taking another shot at it. I don't remember how to get any of the items or where any of the secret stuff is like the sweater or the day one torch.

Also, if you lose Debbie or Paul(was it Paul?) the game really sucks because of the low character speed.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

I play it all the time. I always beat it! It was one of my favourite NES games.

I don't think I've beaten it without a game genie, but I wouldn't mind taking another shot at it.

wait seriously? is it supposed to be hard or something?

Magic Pink wrote: »
    I don't think I've beaten it without a game genie, but I wouldn't mind taking another shot at it.

Go on and brag about it lol. Yeah, the game is hard! Almost notoriously so. Maybe not in the old fashioned Ninja Gaiden sense, but more in that a player who has never played it before has no idea what they're doing or where they're going. Then they fight Jason and instantly die because they don't know how to Punch Out! dodge.

Go on and brag about it lol. Yeah, the game is hard! Almost notoriously so. Maybe not in the old fashioned Ninja Gaiden sense, but more in that a player who has never played it before has no idea what they're doing or where they're going. Then they fight Jason and instantly die because they don't know how to Punch Out! dodge.

Oh, yeah, the dodging was a pain in the ass. You just have to learn that the dodging lasts longer than the actual dodge animation and you're fine.

Also, Night 1 torch is super simple, just go light all the fireplaces. if it doesn't show at the last one, go check them again; sometimes Jason snuffs some out.

... if it doesn't show at the last one, go check them again; sometimes Jason snuffs some out.

I did not even know that he could do that. I thought he would just stay away from them.

... if it doesn't show at the last one, go check them again; sometimes Jason snuffs some out.

I did not even know that he could do that. I thought he would just stay away from them.

he does; it's actually just a bug I made up some thematic bullshit for.

Oh, yeah, the dodging was a pain in the ass. You just have to learn that the dodging lasts longer than the actual dodge animation and you're fine.

Also, Night 1 torch is super simple, just go light all the fireplaces. if it doesn't show at the last one, go check them again; sometimes Jason snuffs some out.

You only have to light one or two specific fireplaces. You can get the torch during the first day pretty quickly.

You only have to light one or two specific fireplaces. You can get the torch during the first day pretty quickly.

Yeah but running around lighting them all gets you more medicine and then you can jump in other cabins and pass weapons off to the slower counselors that are annoying to play as you pass them.

I always just played as Chrissy or the boy who's speed/jump was equal to hers (not Paul, I think Paul was the slowest).

I only beat night 1 without a game genie, but when I got a Game Genie was the only time I successfully beat it. I didn't even know the torch was something you needed. I always just played as Chrissy, made sure she got a random drop machete and key, then I knew where to go in the Caves to find the door to Jason's mom, to upgrade the machete to the hatchet. Play night 2 with her and the axe to get the sweater, and then play night 3 with her to get the pitchfork.

edited February 2017
    I always just played as Chrissy or the boy who's speed/jump was equal to hers (not Paul, I think Paul was the slowest).

Mark. There were 3 fast ounselors, three good jump counselors and three fast rowing counselors.
    I only beat night 1 without a game genie, but when I got a Game Genie was the only time I successfully beat it. I didn't even know the torch was something you needed. I always just played as Chrissy, made sure she got a random drop machete and key, then I knew where to go in the Caves to find the door to Jason's mom, to upgrade the machete to the hatchet. Play night 2 with her and the axe to get the sweater, and then play night 3 with her to get the pitchfork.

You don't need the torch, it's just easy to get and nice to have. Also, the machete doesn't upgrade you can just replace it with the axe. I always handed off my better weapons to the other counselors so by the end we all had either an axe, a machete, a torch or the pitchfork.

Magic Pink on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    This just points out while I rented that game, I didn't know shit about it at all.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    This just points out while I rented that game, I didn't know shit about it at all.

Yeah, there was pretty much zero instruction at all and it desperately needed it.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'm generally not a fan of opaque game mechanics. Hopefully the final product has some tutorials or at least is better about explaining certain mechanics.

joshofalltrades on

Yeah but running around lighting them all gets you more medicine and then you can jump in other cabins and pass weapons off to the slower counselors that are annoying to play as you pass them.

The video I watched didn't bother lighting any other cabins than the ones necessary. Apparently the trick to medicine, keys, lighter, and knife is simply jumping around.

You can also get the axe and machete on day one. The sweater apparently requires day two, no work around. Everything else is fair game from the get go.

Sub 4 minute speed run.

https://youtu.be/fvVNfQDXnPo

The video I watched didn't bother lighting any other cabins than the ones necessary. Apparently the trick to medicine, keys, lighter, and knife is simply jumping around.

You can also get the axe and machete on day one. The sweater apparently requires day two, no work around. Everything else is fair game from the get go.

You also have to kill some zombies to get stuff to start popping when you jump; I suspect you have to have a lighter to see them but I never tested it.

Again, you don't HAVE to light all of the large cabins but I've gotten three torches by the end of the first day so it's worth giving it a shot.

Axe and Machete can show up in some alternate Woods and Cave cabins that I never knew about until like last week. I had one set path through both I would go to fight Mom's head once a day but I guess she has two spots in each forest and two in the cave.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I love how this thread has transformed into GamePro circa 1990.

Beta is over, time to break out the NES.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Sub 4 minute speed run.

https://youtu.be/fvVNfQDXnPo

I knew nintendo games had dissapointing endings, but good lord.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Eh, it's not entirely dissimilar to a Friday the 13th movie ending. Lol.

Nightmare ends the same way. Single screen game over with "It's over... or is it!?"

Gotta love LJN.

Weren't they the creators of the Jaws NES game as well? I feel like Friday got a bad rap because of how vague the instructions were, NoES was mediocre but not awful, and I need to play Jaws again to see if it's still as bad as I remember.

Weren't they the creators of the Jaws NES game as well? I feel like Friday got a bad rap because of how vague the instructions were, NoES was mediocre but not awful, and I need to play Jaws again to see if it's still as bad as I remember.

Yeah, it is, and Jaws is as bad as you remember. Just farm shells and move back and forth from port to port until your power is high enough to kill Jaws.

Granted I'm nostalgic for all these games. Even Roger Rabbit.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular

Yeah, it is, and Jaws is as bad as you remember. Just farm shells and move back and forth from port to port until your power is high enough to kill Jaws.

Granted I'm nostalgic for all these games. Even Roger Rabbit.

I refuse to believe that Roger Rabbit is a bad game. Even when I experience it first hand.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I played the absolute shit out of Roger Rabbit as a kid

Even made it to Doom, but never beat him (came close a couple of times though)

Never came close on F13

I remember renting Roger Rabbit and of course it came with no instruction booklet (because people who rent games are S A V A G E S).

It took me a few hours to figure out what the hell to do, but eventually I got the hang of it. Even figured out most of the "puzzles" on my own without the help of the internet or a GamePRO.

But no, I beat that game because Game Genie was the shit.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh, this thread wasn't moved around during the Christmas forums, that explains why my posts are gone.

Thought I'd share a few clips I snagged while watching some Twitch beta shenanigans.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousOddEndiveGrammarKing
    https://clips.twitch.tv/DaintyTardyBunnyTBTacoLeft
    https://clips.twitch.tv/NastyAstuteGullMcaT
    https://clips.twitch.tv/LittlePeacefulRatPipeHype

The first and fourth clips are my favourites.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    haha yea that upside down bug is hilarious.

Never got a chance to do a cool enviromental kill like the fireplace :(

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    I heard it was possible to do the sleeping bag against a tree environment kill, but I never got the chance to try it. If there's a second beta before full release, I'll give it a try then.

It is was one of the most popular kills in the series.

https://youtu.be/gKFoTR3KSdw

I hated that scene.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I did too, but only because the frame skipping in that video made me stop and check whether Chrome was being an asshole again.

That's an iconic kill thanks to the lore around it. And the thud audio was well done.

That's an iconic kill thanks to the lore around it. And the thud audio was well done.

What lore is there around slapping a person against a tree?