As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Switch: No Zelda Talk Here

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    So, I just talked with Best Buy about my orders and everything is still going ahead as normal. Even though my card has not been charged, they say that it's preparing and it won't be charged until I pick it up in store. That's how it has worked previously for me as well, but some of the posts in here had gotten me concerned. If anyone else is doing in-store pickup and it hasn't processed yet, more than likely you're in the Same boat I am.

I got my Xbox One this way as well and it went really smoothly (huge line in store at midnight though - wrapped around the entire store).

thanks, I'm picking up also and was getting slightly concerned. You have helped. :)

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    I might take the microSD out of my 3DS to save purchasing a new one. I'm belatedly realizing I'm probably never getting anything else for it, so it is preeeetty much just a pokemoon machine.

I play RPGs almost exclusively so I can't afford to do that. I likely have more hours left to play in total across my unplayed games on the DS/3DS alone than I probably will have left alive. Now I'm getting another platform for them! Woo!

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I think the "handhold-only games" issue is easily solved if they just release a Wii U-type gamepad for the Switch so you can leave your Switch connected to the TV but still have a touchscreen controller.

They can call it the Switchpad.

Drez, you're not thinking this through. Why would Nintendo want to sell people a gamepad for a measly $100 when they could instead force people to buy a second Switch console for three times that much?

• borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    Any Canadians have their best buy preorder status change? I decided to check it out since everyone was talking about it and clicked the link on the "Status: Pre-order" part and their description seems to indicate they ship stuff on the release date. I suppose I'll survive but it'll be a bummer to miss the weekend though if it does end up shipping on friday.
    Mine hasn't changed status. The only similar thing I've preordered from them was the NES Classic. That ended up shipping on the release date, which was also a Friday, and arrived the next Wednesday. So I'm hoping they ship my Switch early but I'm not counting on it.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    Any Canadians have their best buy preorder status change? I decided to check it out since everyone was talking about it and clicked the link on the "Status: Pre-order" part and their description seems to indicate they ship stuff on the release date. I suppose I'll survive but it'll be a bummer to miss the weekend though if it does end up shipping on friday.

My order has said "in progress" since the day I pre-ordered. I'm thinking about calling tomorrow to bitch at them, even though it won't change anything.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    all this claptrap about tablet only mode on the Switch is a big Eh to me.

It DOES make a little bit of sense that someone could conceivably make a game that strictly uses the tablet alone. In a sort of hypothetical sense. It's the Switch at its most minimal. I'm not real clear about how one would get to the home screen and all that without the Joy Con inputs, but Nintendo sure as heck included actual tangible controllers in the box with the Switch, so overall I'm not going to fault Nintendo for making the Joy Cons detachable, or mandating a requirement of Joy Con involvement in games, or whatever.

(On a slight aside this does conjure up some future version of the Switch that is strictly portable and the Joy Cons are not detachable, simplifying the form factor and production costs, while still being compatible with the dock and with extra Joy Cons when in dock mode. Sounds like a late-in-life thing Nintendo could choose to do, like the mini-Wii, not unlike the premise of a 3DS that doesn't ship with a charger.)

Again, I won't argue against a developer's prerogative to make tablet only games for the Switch. That said, the reasons to do so seem even more limited than the limitations themselves. Some may harp on HD Rumble being the Most Neglected Feature, but this, this right here, is the real deal.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh, right, there's that Direct tomorrow isn't there? The Indies one.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I was just browsing unrelated stuff on Amazon when a Switch AC Adapter popped up in suggested items. I had to spend the next five minutes double-checking that one actually does come in the box for this nintendo product and I am 100% furious I even had to consider it.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • LindLind Registered User regular
    I've been worried a long time that I might not get a Switch right away due to the amount of preorders but I just got a mail confirming my copy will be sent shortly.

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Yup. Will be a bit late on my end, but I'll try to catch up on it later.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I've got a pre-order for a neon Switch at EB and they're doing a midnight launch, but reading various concerns has me nervous as all hell something will go wrong, like them selling my neon version and having to go grey or bust.

Going to call when I wake up and make certain if there's anything I need to do to make sure everything is good beforehand.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I saw the switches come in at work yesterday it's a smaller box than I thought and the joy cons' box is tiny
    Still I am going to wait

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Where? all I can find out is info about older ones?

• StargateJewStargateJew SeattleRegistered User regular
    Anyone know how long it takes to get a full charge?

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Thinking of grabbing one of these for charging on the go:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Z7RVK0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=D0VW2PYQAWHL&coliid=I2NVNSWOWJ2W56
    Will it be able to put out the juice required to charge the Switch?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Where? all I can find out is info about older ones?

This one.

• AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    You can set a reminder for when the Direct goes Live in about 8 hours.

https://youtu.be/pthemnEt3vE

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    2EgXwgL.png

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Did you have that ready to go just for this moment?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Did you have that ready to go just for this moment?

I don't find memes, the memes find me.

In unrelated news:

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      edited February 2017
      Knight_ wrote: »
      BlueBlue wrote: »
      Knight_ wrote: »
      Not sure if this has come up before, but it looks like there will be games on the Switch that are only usable in tablet mode.

http://kotaku.com/not-all-switch-games-will-support-tv-mode-1792783451

That's a bit surprising.

Wouldn't at all be shocked if this was a japanese market only decision.

Region free though right

This has me even more hopeful for switch puzzle and dragons

Sure, but then you'd be seeking it out and that's fine. Just wouldn't be on the NA eshop.

Just to follow up on this line of thought, the game in question here Voez is confirmed that it's getting localized. So it's not Japan only.

But I'm still not seeing it as an issue.

EDIT: I'm late!

UncleSporky on
      Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
      On one hand touchscreen only cellphone games could hurt discovery on their eshop if it's arranged incompetently, on the other hand a cut of gatcha money will extend the amount of time Nintendo can stay in business without selling anything they produce from 40 years to the heat death of the universe

CD World Tour status:
      Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
      edited February 2017
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Z7RVK0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=D0VW2PYQAWHL&coliid=I2NVNSWOWJ2W56

It should be able to. I actually have that charger in my work backpack if you want to hold off and wait for me to test it. AFAIK portable mode only needs 5V/2.4A and that one can do 5V/3A on the USB-C port and 5V/2.4A on the USB-A ones (so you could use a A to C cable as well).

Apparently not?

Naphtali on
      Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
      edited February 2017
      Maz- wrote: »
      2EgXwgL.png

It clearly says no Zelda talk in the thread title. :P

Seidkona on
      Mostly just huntin' monsters.
      XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
      Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
      Drez wrote: »
      I think the "handhold-only games" issue is easily solved if they just release a Wii U-type gamepad for the Switch so you can leave your Switch connected to the TV but still have a touchscreen controller.

They can call it the Switchpad.

Drez, you're not thinking this through. Why would Nintendo want to sell people a gamepad for a measly $100 when they could instead force people to buy a second Switch console for three times that much?

I'm so glad you're here in this thread Ivan. I almost forget what it's like in other parts of the Internet without you here. :)

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
      edited February 2017
      Entaru wrote: »
      2EgXwgL.png

You have the wrong game.

That one is majora's flask. there's no Zelda in it at all. You tap a to drink for 72 hours. Its about trying to not feeling feelings anymore. Then a moon hits you.

mojojoeo on
      Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
      Naphtali wrote: »

It should be able to. I actually have that charger in my work backpack if you want to hold off and wait for me to test it. AFAIK portable mode only needs 5V/2.4A and that one can do 5V/3A on the USB-C port and 5V/2.4A on the USB-A ones (so you could use a A to C cable as well).

Ars Technica has reported (something linked here a few times) that a 5V/3A charging input to the switch barely charged it, and wasn't enough to charge it while a game was being played. That lends credence to the fact that the 15V/2.6A charging is required to charge it at any decent speed. Sure if you leave it in sleep mode for 4-5 hours it looks like 5V/3A should be able to trickle charge, but you likely won't be able to charge it at any great speed.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
      mojojoeo wrote: »
      2EgXwgL.png

You have the wrong game.

That one is majora's flask. there's no Zelda in it at all. You tap a to drink for 72 hours. Its about trying to not feeling feelings anymore. Then a moon hits you.

I call that the weekend.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
      XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
      mojojoeo wrote: »
      2EgXwgL.png

You have the wrong game.

I call that the weekend.

Press A to turn your life around.

wunderbar wrote: »

Ars Technica has reported (something linked here a few times) that a 5V/3A charging input to the switch barely charged it, and wasn't enough to charge it while a game was being played. That lends credence to the fact that the 15V/2.6A charging is required to charge it at any decent speed. Sure if you leave it in sleep mode for 4-5 hours it looks like 5V/3A should be able to trickle charge, but you likely won't be able to charge it at any great speed.

Sorry, I thought it only needed 15V while in the dock.

wunderbar wrote: »

Sorry, I thought it only needed 15V while in the dock.

it's one report, so still not 100% sure either way. When the hardware reviews hit we'll have a better idea, and failing that I do have a 5V/3A USB C battery that I'm planning on testing with when I get my Switch (which is increasingly looking like next week)

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      edited February 2017
      Someone on twitter posted what the inside of a Joycon looks like:

Edit: also a dutch retailer has listed a "Pikmin World" game for the Switch, grain of salt and all that:

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/02/28/dutch-retailer-lists-pikmin-world-for-nintendo-switch/

Handsome Costanza on
      Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
      Someone on twitter posted what the inside of a Joycon looks like:

HAC-006?
      That tears it, preorder cancelled

CD World Tour status:
      Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      Hasn't Pikmin 4 been "close to completion" for a long time now?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      One last bit of reddit-induced news, someone bought the official hybrid case for the Switch and took pics of it:

https://imgur.com/a/fGhvv

Definitely buying that along with my console on thurs.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Considering the hardware in it, I wouldn't be surprised at needing 15V.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      One last bit of reddit-induced news, someone bought the official hybrid case for the Switch and took pics of it:

https://imgur.com/a/fGhvv

Definitely buying that along with my console on thurs.

That's very awesome, it doesn't look like it can be docked like that though, which is a shame.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
      One last bit of reddit-induced news

I lied, here's a pretty good youtube video about how Nintendo made the Switch:

https://youtu.be/jMjloR9-LaM

Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Ok I've already got the game preordered but this further sold me on Disgaea 5. I was a little hesitant because I heard how weird it is but this sounds great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSW9t4UGMw4&t=6s&index=28&list=LLN4XI-p28QI1Ve3n5wBuNjw

This discussion has been closed.