As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Torment: Tides of Numenara] Are you the Fallen Star? Out now! HYYYYYYYPE

3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheeseRegistered User regular
edited March 2017 in Games and Technology
Torment: Tides of Numenera is the thematic successor to Planescape: Torment, one of the most critically acclaimed role-playing games of all time. Immerse yourself in a single-player, isometric, story-driven RPG set in Monte Cook’s Numenera universe. What does one life matter? Find your answer.

450_267481755.jpg

The spiritual successor to the hugely beloved Planescape: Torment, Tides of Numenara is a new CRPG from inXile Entertainment. The first ~10 hours have been available to Early Access supporters on Steam or Kickstarter backers for awhile, but the full game comes out on Tuesday! I don't want to give too many story details in the OP, because you'll want to experience it for yourself.
  • Gorgeous isometric art in a scifi/fantasy world filled with ancient relics of magic and technology
  • Truly enormous amounts of lore and dialogue to explore and learn about the world, the characters, and the stories going on around you
  • Multiple ways to solve every problem, including stealth, talking it out, brute force, or using the technology of the world around you. Supposedly, you can beat the entire game without throwing a single punch.

No official reviews out yet, but Steam reviews are highly positive! Get hype!
ay49nszp7og7.jpg
eccb12wdc2kh.jpg
b53z04q53uac.jpg

3cl1ps3 on

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    One thing I will say is that the first hour or so didn't really grab me, but once I got into Sagus Cliffs I played through all of the available content without taking a break. Really great.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Release in 1:30. Hmmm, to use Steam or GOG....

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I played through the preview a bit myself, though I didn't finish it.

It's kind of neat how the game deals with asking questions to NPCs. You can grill them for a ton of information, but if you later try to bluff them about you being someone local they'll just laugh in your face. It's also less reliant on player stats for conversations and the like. Really early on, you get easy access to a character who's way better at talking than you'll ever be without investing a ton of effort into it, and you can use him instead of your character for the majority of the rolls.

You can also be amazingly dickish, in ways that often don't yield you anything beyond making everyone involved completely loathe you. The quest involving that creature in the third screenshot is an excellent example of this, the "best" resolution and the "worst" resolution that I've found are a last-minute dialogue choice apart from each other.

No windowed full-screen mode :sad:

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

Isn't it a Unity game? Aren't they all that by default? Issue with Unity is that it doesn't have a dedicated fullscreen mode.

Corpekata wrote: »

Isn't it a Unity game? Aren't they all that by default? Issue with Unity is that it doesn't have a dedicated fullscreen mode.

You are correct!

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The game is good stuff. Very old school in that there's lots of descriptive text to read, which I love. One minor gripe about character creation. It's kinda plot related so...
    So you seem to generate your character based on three questions about past events and how you handle them (punching, talking, technomagicing). This is good. Down side is that when I went through that, I answered everything as a Jack, so my only choice was a Jack, however the game still had the dialogue option that seemed like it would give you the option of looking at a different class. That was a tad confusing, but nothing horrible. I'm not sure if I'm loving the commitment to holding the player to their choices or if I would prefer the option to choose a class directly even after your choices slot you into a single choice.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    The game is good stuff. Very old school in that there's lots of descriptive text to read, which I love. One minor gripe about character creation. It's kinda plot related so...
    So you seem to generate your character based on three questions about past events and how you handle them (punching, talking, technomagicing). This is good. Down side is that when I went through that, I answered everything as a Jack, so my only choice was a Jack, however the game still had the dialogue option that seemed like it would give you the option of looking at a different class. That was a tad confusing, but nothing horrible. I'm not sure if I'm loving the commitment to holding the player to their choices or if I would prefer the option to choose a class directly even after your choices slot you into a single choice.
    You're able to choose what you want in character creation. It just presents you with an option that may fit you based on those dialog choices, but you're not locked into anything.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Ah. I didn't root around there since I wanted to be a Jack anyway.

Ah. I didn't root around there since I wanted to be a Jack anyway.

What do you mean? I was playing a review build and finished the game about a week ago, so maybe they changed the opening.
    You answer those questions from the white, glowing orbs and then go to and step through a mirror. It then presents you with menus to change your class, abilities, descriptor, and so forth.

As an aside, here are some companion recommendations based on my playthrough:
    Rhin and Malkina are downright essential companions, in my opinion, especially Malkina. Rhin has an incredibly satisfying, emotional payoff with her quest and Malkina has a lot of main-quest involvement. I had Aligern as my third, because he had a good reason to be there along with the other two (not every companion justifies their presence as well as these three).

I'm on the X-Box, but you answer the questions, then you get to a mirror offering you the class choices (which I believe also had a descriptor attached) then you step through, then stuff, then you hit the real world. At some point in there you can change the descriptor, but there wasn't an obvious point where I could change the class. Which I could have easily missed, since I wanted to be a Jack anyway, but there wasn't a point where I got a screen saying 'Glaive/Nano/Jack, pick one'. At least not one as obvious as the point where you could change the descriptor.

edited February 2017
    I'm on the X-Box, but you answer the questions, then you get to a mirror offering you the class choices (which I believe also had a descriptor attached) then you step through, then stuff, then you hit the real world. At some point in there you can change the descriptor, but there wasn't an obvious point where I could change the class. Which I could have easily missed, since I wanted to be a Jack anyway, but there wasn't a point where I got a screen saying 'Glaive/Nano/Jack, pick one'. At least not one as obvious as the point where you could change the descriptor.
    There was definitely a place to do that on the PC. There was a whole process with multiple steps, and the first one was class. Then I think, stats, abilities, skills, and trait? Drove me a little crazy that the trait was selected after skills when your trait affects your skills, but....

Also, I have no idea why I'm spoilering this but everybody else is spoilering, so whatever.

hippofant on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Feeling pretty smug about backing this for $20. :)

Hoping to dive in tonight. Is there any spoiler free character creation advice yet?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    edited February 2017
    Iolo wrote: »

Hoping to dive in tonight. Is there any spoiler free character creation advice yet?

I have all the answers! Come into my van!

If you want to avoid combat encounters and get the most out of the dialog system, choose Nano and focus on building your Intelligence. Intelligence is the stat used by far the most, and those checks often show up in conversations and when interacting with many objects. The Nano class can also natively read the surface thoughts of other people, which makes it great for sussing out their motivations.

I'll put a few other suggestions for specific skills under a spoiler tag:
    Anamnesis and Persuasion, both which use your Intelligence pool, are frequent (more so with the former) or have great importance in certain conversations. Anamnesis allows you to relive the memories of past consciousnesses, so it's also worth it if you want to get the most out of the game's lore. Speed and its related Quick Fingers skill come up every now and again, too, but you can rely on Malkina or another Speed-based character for those checks (though I really do recommend Malkina as a companion due to her heavy story involvement). Strength was much rarer than the other two. I used Aligern as my Strength-based character, despite him being a Nano, because he started with Smashing and gains some Strength-based abilities as he levels up.

Dashui on
    Dashui wrote: »

If you want to avoid combat encounters and get the most out of the dialog system, choose Nano and focus on building your Intelligence. Intelligence is the stat used by far the most, and those checks often show up in conversations and when interacting with many objects. The Nano class can also natively read the surface thoughts of other people, which makes it great for sussing out their motivations.

Anamnesis and Persuasion, both which use your Intelligence pool, are frequent (more so with the former) or at least important checks. Anamnesis allows you to relive the memories of past consciousnesses, so it's also worth it if you want to get the most out of the game's lore. Speed and its related Quick Fingers skill come up every now and again, too, but you can rely on Malkina or another Speed-based character for those checks (though I really do recommend Malkina as a companion due to her heavy story involvement). Strength was much rarer than the other two. I used Aligern as my Strength-based character, despite him being a Nano, because he started with Smashing and gains some Strength-based abilities as he levels up.
    Perception has triggered some interesting stuff for me. Dunno how that holds up over the course of the game.

edited February 2017
    Dashui wrote: »

Anamnesis and Persuasion, both which use your Intelligence pool, are frequent (more so with the former) or have great importance in certain conversations. Anamnesis allows you to relive the memories of past consciousnesses, so it's also worth it if you want to get the most out of the game's lore. Speed and its related Quick Fingers skill come up every now and again, too, but you can rely on Malkina or another Speed-based character for those checks (though I really do recommend Malkina as a companion due to her heavy story involvement). Strength was much rarer than the other two. I used Aligern as my Strength-based character, despite him being a Nano, because he started with Smashing and gains some Strength-based abilities as he levels up.
    Perception has triggered some interesting stuff for me. Dunno how that holds up over the course of the game.

Yep, that came up a few times, as well. If you do have a high Intelligence pool and devote your Edge to that stat, you don't actually need to max out every exploration skill. You'll be so damn smart you'll have an easy time with most checks. You'll also find, buy, or passively gain bonuses to other skills as you play the game. Here's what my character had in terms of exploration skills by the end:
    rw3dg4apn2xa.jpg

I started with high Anamnesis and Machine Lore from the Intelligent descriptor. I maxed them out and Persuasion when leveling. I put a single point into Concentration to max that out (I didn't start with Concentration trained but earned it as I played). I may have earned Perception, as well, but a single point was enough to easily pass every check.

Dashui on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Ugh, I should have downloaded the beta, just so I could play this sooner. Gonna have to wait till tonight to play. :(

Pretty psyched though!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    That's just what I was looking for. Thanks, @Dashui.

Is the high INT character totally squishy, or can you still mix it up in combat from time to time? I don't know that I'd want to head into a playthrough trying to avoid all armed conflict. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    edited February 2017
    That's just what I was looking for. Thanks, @Dashui.

Is the high INT character totally squishy, or can you still mix it up in combat from time to time? I don't know that I'd want to head into a playthrough trying to avoid all armed conflict. :)

There are some encounters you can't avoid, though Numenera does let you solve them without killing everyone in them. You can actually talk to enemies to try and force a resolution or head off to interact with objects that may present a solution, as well.

My Nano was squishy to start with. As I leveled up, however, he gained quite the repertoire of damaging spells. But I didn't actually throw down many attacks even in the unavoidable encounters. I think I fought in maybe four or five combat encounters overall, and I ended the majority of them peacefully. I could have even avoided at least one of those if I wanted to skip a side-quest. Combat isn't a huge focus of the game unless you really want to go out of your way to antagonize and fight people.

Dashui on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Man this game is weird as heck.

I told some freaky blinding white mind reading space alien twins about a sexbot I found and one of them pulled a bunch of gems out of its stomach and gave them to me.

I feel like I'm playing a Rick and Morty episode.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

I told some freaky blinding white mind reading space alien twins about a sexbot I found and one of them pulled a bunch of gems out of its stomach and gave them to me.

Wow, I was reading through here to see if I would like this game or not. You just sold me on it, I think.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    From everything I'm hearing, this is pretty much the sequel to Planescape: Torment we've always wanted. So glad I backed this.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I am too. I'm a bit miffed at their lack of communication though. We finally got an email this morning stating that our physical copies would be shipping "soon," but like Wasteland 2, not on or near release. That's a bit disheartening.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Not sure when I'll get to actually play it (I have other plans this evening) but I'm currently listening to the soundtrack.

(I'm reluctant, though, to go actually read the track titles for fear of mild spoilers.)

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    There was definitely a place to do that on the PC. There was a whole process with multiple steps, and the first one was class. Then I think, stats, abilities, skills, and trait? Drove me a little crazy that the trait was selected after skills when your trait affects your skills, but....

Also, I have no idea why I'm spoilering this but everybody else is spoilering, so whatever.

It worked basically the same way as in recent Elder Scrolls games. There are some also some stat bonuses, though, that I don't know if you can rebuild.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Man, I thought this wasn't coming out for like another two months. Woke up, checked my email, and hey, free game!

Reviews are mostly good too. I've been reading about the world and like it conceptually.

• GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    44 pounds here in the UK

Ugh

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    From everything I'm hearing, this is pretty much the sequel to Planescape: Torment we've always wanted. So glad I backed this.

Only issue I have with it so far is the UI has some deficiencies compared to the original torment.

The lagginess of the engine is bugging, for movement and NPC responses.

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    This game has a lot to live up to in the world craziness department given it's Planescape roots. And so far I think Numenera has provided enough of that "what in the heck is this thing?" feeling. Makes me want to pick up the core book to read more about the setting.

edited February 2017
    Oof... this game sounded bizarrely interesting, but not for $50. I wouldn't finish it before Nier next week anyway I don't think.

Edit: I am a weak man

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Speaking of weird things to discover, make sure you examine items in your inventory. You'll collect "oddities" while you play. They are largely vendor trash, but sometimes you can interact with them further.

Skull2185 wrote: »
    Oof... this game sounded bizarrely interesting, but not for $50. I wouldn't finish it before Nier next week anyway I don't think.

Dammit... See, I say this, but I'm still staring at it on PSN because it looks so interesting! How long is the game(if anyone even knows that yet), and are there reasons to go through multiple playthroughs?

So, I still couldn't decide. Did the rational thing, and flipped a coin.

Game's downloading now :rotate:

• WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
    I was excited for this and dove in at 12:01am this morning (XBO). But after playing for about an hour or so (just beyond character creation), I'm pretty disappointed. Not feeling it at all. The setting is weird and interesting, but the character graphics and animations are appalling. The controls are clunky and it feels like I'm playing a bad port of a game from the 90's.

Anyone else share similar thoughts early on? How long did it take for it to click for you?

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Windburn wrote: »
    I was excited for this and dove in at 12:01am this morning (XBO). But after playing for about an hour or so (just beyond character creation), I'm pretty disappointed. Not feeling it at all. The setting is weird and interesting, but the character graphics and animations are appalling. The controls are clunky and it feels like I'm playing a bad port of a game from the 90's.

Anyone else share similar thoughts early on? How long did it take for it to click for you?

Until I got into Sagus Cliffs and started talking to The Genocide. Bout an hour, hour and a half.

Something to note for character creation: you're not locked into any choices you make during the dialogue/selection stuff. You can change all of them.

Which companions to take with me? The struggle is so incredibly real.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Man this game is pretty far out. The sheer density of weird shit is pretty impressive. I think I spent like 45 minutes just talking the people and poking weird objects in the first zone of the city.

Has anyone gotten any of the surgeries (chirurgeries?) from the guy in the cliffside district?

Also there's a lot of non-violent options it seems. I haven't actually fought anyone yet (except for in the prologue, which I assume is unavoidable), but I have persuaded/lied my way out of two fights.

Man this game is pretty far out. The sheer density of weird shit is pretty impressive. I think I spent like 45 minutes just talking the people and poking weird objects in the first zone of the city.

Has anyone gotten any of the surgeries (chirurgeries?) from the guy in the cliffside district?

Also there's a lot of non-violent options it seems. I haven't actually fought anyone yet (except for in the prologue, which I assume is unavoidable), but I have persuaded/lied my way out of two fights.

Supposedly you don't have to kill anyone to finish the game.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular

This is definitely a Torment game then.

Being tripping balls weird was one of it's predecessor's greatest strengths.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile