As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Gamestop is doing an early physical release of this tonight. Apparently it is 9pm "local time" so midnight eastern for the left coast. My store confirmed it for me. 9pm-9:30pm in the mall.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The joys of being completely digital, and on the west coast. I almost never have to wait for Tuesday to play things.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The joys of being completely digital, and on the west coast. I almost never have to wait for Tuesday to play things.

I'm deeply concerned that I'm going to turn this on when it unlocks tonight at 10 to "give the tutorial a whirl for a few minutes" and then look at the clock and it will be 2 am and I'll have to "get up" in three and a half hours for work.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

I'm deeply concerned that I'm going to turn this on when it unlocks tonight at 10 to "give the tutorial a whirl for a few minutes" and then look at the clock and it will be 2 am and I'll have to "get up" in three and a half hours for work.

One man's "concern" is another man's-- well, no, I mean, I have to go to work tomorrow, so I guess it'll be a concern for me too, and I may not touch it until early tomorrow morning just to make sure I get enough sleep tonight

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    The experience you have when you start up a just released video game, and you are enjoying it so much that you look up and you see the first light of the morning?

That's the Zero Dawn!

The "I got Zero sleep and now its Dawn"

Embrace the Zero Dawn.

PSN: TitusPullo13
    Ceno wrote: »

This is precisely what will happen with me. I also told my buddy at work I was just going to dip my toe in to this tonight, but I'd be going right back to Nioh to wrap it up before I really jump. Ha, yeah, right...

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I'm not alone in still having Nioh hanging out there, eh... damn, this is a particularly brutal season. I have the RE7 dlc too!

11pm...!

edited February 2017
    Aside from the first couple trailers for this, and maybe 20 seconds of the story trailer (which showed one character I hadn't seen yet and a pretty epic shot of an interior before I turned it off), I am going in blind. I know as much as those videos have shown and that's it.

I'm prettt psyched about this...

Fawst on
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    There's a tanker overturned on the freeway blocking my way home and it started to snow. So I might get home around 9PM at this point...

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    4 more hours until the digital version unlocks.

I've never pre-loaded on PS4 before and I love how they set it up. Much better than Steam!

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Well, Amazon screwed up my order so I just opted to grab the Digital Deluxe from PSN. Sadly don't get that Prime 20% off but I do get to pre-load it, play it at midnight and I'll get $15 credit if I grab something else too.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Yowza this is a good looking game. And already the writing is better than anything we've seen in a GG before.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    Holy shit, I haven't had this strong of a physical reaction to how good a game looks since Uncharted 2.

That title screen...

One hour...

I'm off to bed now, but for those of you playing in an hour, enjoy! I'm swamped with work and may not get to play until tomorrow night, but... glad to see Guerrilla finally launch their new baby! Enjoy the thread and watch your spoilers! This shit's narrative-heavy!

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    I just got it. Rost and Aloy. And LMAO off at "Gonna need a montage!"

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    PSN is maybe the biggest fucking piece of shit content delivery network in the world.

I started my pre-load at 3:30pm. Game came out at 9pm PST for me, PLENTY of time.

9:30pm, sit down to play, 10gb of pre-load left. PS4 "estimates" 1 to 9 hours of download time left, because who knows!

This really pisses me off, I almost never use my PS4, I haven't used it for a game since Uncharted 4, I download massive things from Steam and Xbox Live all the time, the one time I finally want to play a PS4 game and they still don't have their shit together.

what the fuck.

edit - in fact I just noticed that steam is downloading a 2gb patch right now, in total it's going to take 3 minutes and 45 seconds. this is INFURIATING.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    So, 90 minutes in. Have to go to bed. Just got into the open part of the tutorial area.

This game is already really something.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So, not sure if I should spoiler this, so I will anyways...

Right at the beginning when you first get control over Aloy:
    The little device she gets is giving me a major Diamond Age primer vibe. I love it!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Holy shit, this game is awesome. The combat feels SO DAMN GOOD. I can take on whole herds of stuff and feel like a total bad ass.

Everything just feels really great, and I love the story so far.

Hardtarget wrote: »
    PSN is maybe the biggest fucking piece of shit content delivery network in the world.

I started my pre-load at 3:30pm. Game came out at 9pm PST for me, PLENTY of time.

9:30pm, sit down to play, 10gb of pre-load left. PS4 "estimates" 1 to 9 hours of download time left, because who knows!

This really pisses me off, I almost never use my PS4, I haven't used it for a game since Uncharted 4, I download massive things from Steam and Xbox Live all the time, the one time I finally want to play a PS4 game and they still don't have their shit together.

what the fuck.

edit - in fact I just noticed that steam is downloading a 2gb patch right now, in total it's going to take 3 minutes and 45 seconds. this is INFURIATING.

I mean PSN has never downloaded at maximum speed of your network; I've managed to get it so that FF15 preloaded in like 3 or 4 hours but given how varied the user experience is, it's probably a combination of things (including how PSN delivers content). If you don't use your PS4 often, you might want to take a look at some of the guides people have to help increase speeds.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    The Amazon Prime pre-order discount makes it so hard to say no to buying new games. I just pre-ordered this over the weekend and it will be at my house tomorrow.

I don't even know what this game is or what its about, but that prime discount

Holy shit, this game is awesome. The combat feels SO DAMN GOOD. I can take on whole herds of stuff and feel like a total bad ass.

The combat is fun so far (and involved), but Aloy can't aim for shit. I hope this is tied to the stabilizing stat on weapons.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Trying to buy the game from store.playstation.com is hilarious right now. There's this upsell window that pops up when you select an edition, but the script is screwed up, making the purchase button run from the cursor when you try to mouseover... woops.

ED! wrote: »

The combat is fun so far (and involved), but Aloy can't aim for shit. I hope this is tied to the stabilizing stat on weapons.

Interesting? I've had no trouble aiming with her bow, especially when using the slow motion skill (which you should buy as early as possible). There is some gravity on the projectile, but it's completely manageable.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    played for an hour and got up to the first uhh... campire save spot.

what a fucking opening.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    This is probably one of the best opening three hours in a video game in a while.
    The way the game sets you up to believe the proving is going to be sort of the opening of the full open world, only to pull the rug out from under you is great. The way it uses that climax to answer just enough questions about what is going on to hook you is great. I know just enough to want to go out in to the world and find out more, yet not so little I'm completely confused as to what's going on.

Also this game is gorgeous and a technical marvel. I'd say that Guerrilla has taken Naughty Dog's crown as the king of PlayStation visuals, at least for now. How they get this thing to run at such a steady 30, at 4k on the Pro and 1080p on the classic no less, is beyond me. Graphics voodoo wizards.

Did actually get to play about 30 min of this before work. Graphics are outrageous. Controls are fluid and great. And the fact that there aren't really any missable trophies (if you care about such things, it's worth a Google, because one is potentially missable) means that I'm just running around and enjoying each scene rather than obsessing about scouring every square inch.

• VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    the opening to this game was incredible. holy cow.

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    And so begins my wait for A) work to end and B) the game to arrive from Amazon.

Decoy on
    edited February 2017
    I only got a little ways into the part where you first take control of Aloy, and I started falling asleep. I'm annoyed because
    I missed an audio log. I saw the icon but aiming at it did nothing. Also, there looked to be something else I could interact with through a wall gap.
    But because I was so sleepy last night, I forgot which way I was going and managed to get myself locked out of that area.

I'm already restarting because I'm maybe 15 minutes in and fuck that noise. I'm not missing a missable that I didn't actually miss!

Also, they really need to widen that horizontal aiming dead zone. I can't stand turning left and right and aiming slightly up or down when I do.

End of complaints, game looks fucking amazing on a PS4 vanilla, and I already slightly teared up a little at a moment in the first area.

Game is full of win and I've barely begun to barely begin playing. I made the right decision between this and the Switch, I think.

Also, little girl Aloy is fucking adorable. Her animations are so great!

Fawst on
    3 hours of sleep last night, gonna be putting in a day of work on this. Absolutely in love with this world.

edited February 2017
    Can anyone who got the CE talk about the quality of the statue?

Edit: As soon as I say something, someone posts this on reddit... https://i.redd.it/sjsyqmb0ojiy.jpg

Decoy on
    Oh my fucking god, that photo view option...

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Fucking fuck psn

I set this shit to download last night at 9 pm. Went to go play it right now.

2 hours left still.

Fucking piece of shit network.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Man, even when I've either dragged a wire to my console or moved the entire thing to my router, its never been that great, speed-wise. Hearing about how so many people are having issues, just scares me off of ever trusting buying larger games digitally on PSN.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Very excited for this to show up today. Extremely stoked to hear all the positivity surrounding the narrative.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I've never had a problem downloading games on PS4, and I'm on goshdarn Comcast.

And, I mean, nowadays you do get to download days in advance if you so choose.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote: »
    Man, even when I've either dragged a wire to my console or moved the entire thing to my router, its never been that great, speed-wise. Hearing about how so many people are having issues, just scares me off of ever trusting buying larger games digitally on PSN.

I average ~3 to 3.5 hrs to download most big games on PSN(the AAA 45GB+ games). PSN's shit download speeds are something to keep in mind when buying digital, but almost every game is available to preload the Sunday before release on PSN so it's a good idea to take advantage of that.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    ED! wrote: »

Interesting? I've had no trouble aiming with her bow, especially when using the slow motion skill (which you should buy as early as possible). There is some gravity on the projectile, but it's completely manageable.

Aiming at anything less than a few feet away is likely to miss like a champion.
    Fawst wrote: »
    I only got a little ways into the part where you first take control of Aloy, and I started falling asleep. I'm annoyed because
    I missed an audio log. I saw the icon but aiming at it did nothing. Also, there looked to be something else I could interact with through a wall gap.
    But because I was so sleepy last night, I forgot which way I was going and managed to get myself locked out of that area.

I'm already restarting because I'm maybe 15 minutes in and fuck that noise. I'm not missing a missable that I didn't actually miss!

You didn't miss it and are meant to go back.

This discussion has been closed.