As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good techno

2»

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    If you want what I consider to be the best sampling of BT's work, album-wise, look for R&R(Rare and Remixed). It's got a little something from all his albums(including Flaming June, Remember, and one trippy remix of Never Gonna Come Back Down), as well as remixes of other peoples' songs(Seal, Sarah McLachlan, etc.).

His single best album is Movement In Still Life, but R&R is tough competition.

I really liked his last album This Binary Universe but it's much more ambient and weird than his other stuff.

No kidding. I had to special order it from an indy store just to get a copy.

I'm not really sure I understand it. I still haven't watched the visual version yet.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Pitchshifter

Although it might not "count," in relation to your examples, Fischerspooner is also worth a try.

Telefon Tel Aviv (more ambient)

Aphex Twin (again, somewhat related)

Ladytron?

I tried.

Pitchshifter is techno? I was under the impression they were an industrial band.

edit: Not that I have anything against pitchshifter.

Sliver on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sliver wrote: »
    Pitchshifter

Although it might not "count," in relation to your examples, Fischerspooner is also worth a try.

Telefon Tel Aviv (more ambient)

Aphex Twin (again, somewhat related)

Ladytron?

I tried.

Pitchshifter is techno? I was under the impression they were an industrial band.

ITT: Arbitrary definitions for arbitrary genres

I doubt the OP will object to things that don't fit in to x, y, or z person's definition of techno. Worst case scenario: he listens to it and doesn't like it. Best case: Yay, new interest.

MKR on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    altmann wrote: »
    Savant wrote: »
    I believe Aphex Twin is fairly heavily influenced by him.

Aphex Twin was making music YEARS before Squarepusher.

Sorry, I just love Aphex and his originality is almost purely his own creation.

There's some good techno here, I would only add:

Roni Size - touching down is a great album as is the song brown paper bag and several others. Check it out if you like Drum n Bass.

Influenced means effect on his music, not that he can't stand up on his own right. The Beatles and Bob Dylan influenced each other but they both stood on their own. Since they've worked with each other and have indulged in similar experimentalism it makes sense that he was influenced by SP.

I knew people who were into Underworld quite a bit but I never heard enough of him to get that interested.

Oh, and I was hoping that we weren't going to get into hyper-genre stuff, but the guy on the first page decided to hit that off for impugning American's abilities to know good techo. We don't need to go to Detroit, let's just consider this a more general electronic music discussion unless otherwise made explicit.

Savant on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Check out The Field

Pendulum is more Drum and Bass right?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Joseph StalinJoseph Stalin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You should get the album "Xterminator" by Primal Scream. It's very different from their other albums, and totally awesome.

Joseph Stalin on
    Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.

Workingmen of all countries, unite!
  • Options
    RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Check out The Field

Pendulum is more Drum and Bass right?

Yes Pendulum is Drum and Bass, shit they even explicitly mention it in one of their songs, but hey lets just call them something completely different for a laugh.

Oh and Oasis are my favourite trance band.

Ritchmeister on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In terms of general electronic music, I like:

Infected Mushroom
    Conjure One
    Antaeus
    Tipper
    Amethystium

I'd also like to second the recommendation for Tiesto.

Jebu on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Autechre

Though I suspect only their first few albums could be correlated with "techno"; Incunabula, Amber, perhaps Tri Repetae. I can't keep track of what's supposed to be what anymore.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Man, you Americans have no idea what constitutes techno and what is just dance music.

Pendulum isn't goddamn techno. And Moby is just goddawful. Anyone who likes Moby, I tell them to check out BT, since he actually cares about the music he makes.

Drum n' bass is a form of techno dude...

Ravenger on
    <@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • Options
    FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    No, drum and bass is a form of electronic music.
    As is techno.

Fabricate on