As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Switch: No Zelda Talk Here

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    On a side note, can we have that guy who did the Indies presentation do more? While I do love me some Reggie sometimes, I think he did a fantastic job and wouldn't mind it if he hosted more Directs.

Unless he has already.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I mean you did. You stated
    Also not compromised in any way, unlike some of the 3DS versions of games.
    I pointed out we don't actually know that for certain and people jumped down my throat.
    We do know that for certain.

I do not think this means what you think it means.

I do not buy that that whole list of indie games is announced and that all of the developers are in on some conspiracy to release lower tier "switch" ports all while not saying a word about a depredation in experience.

I agree, I fully expect there to be no need to make a shitty port. I share the same opinion but the only thing we know "for certain" is that it is out on Friday. On a different note, I was pretty surprised to see some titles launching within a week of the console's release. With all the info coming out over the last month, it's crazy we're still finding out about new titles! Maybe it's even easier to port than previously believed.
    ALSO, I wonder if part of the exclusivity money-hat included a clause about "must include HD Rumble" because a lot of them did that. I hope it gets really popular and becomes the new norm!

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I pointed out we don't actually know that for certain and people jumped down my throat.

I do not buy that that whole list of indie games is announced and that all of the developers are in on some conspiracy to release lower tier "switch" ports all while not saying a word about a degradation in experience.

This is taking it to a weird place no one is suggesting. And if there was a degraded port, do you think the devs would advertise that fact? Mario Maker 3DS certainly didn't brag about being a lesser version!

The only thing I was saying is that stating that all these ports will be identical is something we don't know yet. I am not suggesting they will be worse, just that we don't know they'll be the same. I agree that they probably will be the same or very similar! I didn't realize this would be such a controversial opinion. Nintendo has been so weird with their wording and drip feed of random info I don't feel comfortable giving them the benefit of the doubt on a lot of stuff until I get told explicitly. And isn't Skyrim "Skyrim: Switch Edition" and not just the same skyrim? It'll probably be very close but maybe have a few differences in some ways. Or was that a rumor and it is the normal version?

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    On a side note, can we have that guy who did the Indies presentation do more? While I do love me some Reggie sometimes, I think he did a fantastic job and wouldn't mind it if he hosted more Directs.

Unless he has already.

iirc he was a developer relations guy, so probably he's the head of the department working to get indies on the system. probably only going to see him in this capacity?

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Nearly all indie games aren't exactly pushing the upper limits of horsepower, so there's really no reason to brace for a significant number lower-tier ports unless the developer gets extremely lazy.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    So im slowly talking myself into another set of joycon vs a pro controller....
    4 player and all.

i suppose the charging grip is then mandatory so i have another way to make a bigger 2 player config?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    So im slowly talking myself into another set of joycon vs a pro controller....
    4 player and all.

i suppose the charging grip is then mandatory so i have another way to make a bigger 2 player config?

This is expressly why I'm waiting to see how dogface feels as a controller before I buy something else. If I don't like it for long periods, probably endup with a pro controller. If it's fine, probably another set of joy cons.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I'm waiting until they come out some with some cool colors or special editions before I add more. With 2 switches in the house I don't think we're gonna be hurting for joycons for a bit.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm waiting until they come out some with some cool colors or special editions before I add more. With 2 switches in the house I don't think we're gonna be hurting for joycons for a bit.

Gamecube purple on everything

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Nearly all indie games aren't exactly pushing the upper limits of horsepower, so there's really no reason to brace for a significant number lower-tier ports unless the developer gets extremely lazy.

Yeah especially comparing the overall power of the Switch vs 3DS. It's amazing how good they made games look on such little power (on the 3DS).

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017

I do not buy that that whole list of indie games is announced and that all of the developers are in on some conspiracy to release lower tier "switch" ports all while not saying a word about a degradation in experience.

This is taking it to a weird place no one is suggesting. And if there was a degraded port, do you think the devs would advertise that fact? Mario Maker 3DS certainly didn't brag about being a lesser version!

The only thing I was saying is that stating that all these ports will be identical is something we don't know yet. I am not suggesting they will be worse, just that we don't know they'll be the same. I agree that they probably will be the same or very similar! I didn't realize this would be such a controversial opinion. Nintendo has been so weird with their wording and drip feed of random info I don't feel comfortable giving them the benefit of the doubt on a lot of stuff until I get told explicitly. And isn't Skyrim "Skyrim: Switch Edition" and not just the same skyrim? It'll probably be very close but maybe have a few differences in some ways. Or was that a rumor and it is the normal version?

No, Skyrim is a weird cause because they won't actually confirm one way or the other. Analysis says it most closely matches the enhanced edition (yay!) but the fact that they refuse to confirm that is weird (boo!). They're being specifically ambiguous about which version. However, this is a separate issue, at worst it will still be the same Skyrim that was released everywhere else. It just might not be the enhanced port. This is still separate than creating a specific "dumbed down" version for the Switch.

Though I will agree that it's possible we're getting Skyrim: Enhanced: Switch Edition which is somewhere in the middle. Though for it I imagine it'll be lighter graphics but will likely have all the same features otherwise, but your point is valid there, we don't really know. It's a slightly different situation in general though.

Mario Maker is a better example, but one of the key point is the title clearly marks it as not the same game: "Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS" That's usually hint number 1. Minecraft: Pocket Edition, etc. These are designations that it's not the same game, so it's safe to assume something has changed.

I mean okay, maybe there's a remote chance that one of these games will be a "lesser version" but as of this very moment there's nothing to suggest that. If anything, these Switch versions are releasing with MORE features, not less.

Kyanilis on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Didn't see this posted before...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ1dkjA440U

For 3DS and Switch less than a week after launch, and Azure Striker Gunvolt is a playable DLC character.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, I have known for awhile Blaster Master Zero was coming to 3ds, but just learned recently it was coming to Switch too. Apparently in Japan it is a launch title. They refused to say the release date for the US/EU version, obviously waiting for this event. I was really glad to hear it is not significantly later for us (seriously, I can wait an extra week. I was afraid we'd have to wait months)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I remember spending SO MUCH time on Blaster Master back in the day.

Another easy purchase from me, if only for the nostalgia involved.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I was prepping all the stuff at work for the Switch launch today. It was fun, but also torture. All that stuff is right in front of me and I just can't play any of it.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, just seeing there is actually a boss you fight in the tank in that trailer was enough to hype me up again :)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

I want bright orange so bad.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular

Unless he has already.

His opening line was so dry I feared he was going to be instant meme fodder but the rest was well done.

Except for maybe the part where he holds up the two joycons for a cheesy "now with.. H D RUMBLE" moment

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular

The only thing I was saying is that stating that all these ports will be identical is something we don't know yet.
    I am not suggesting they will be worse, just that we don't know they'll be the same. I agree that they probably will be the same or very similar! I didn't realize this would be such a controversial opinion. Nintendo has been so weird with their wording and drip feed of random info I don't feel comfortable giving them the benefit of the doubt on a lot of stuff until I get told explicitly. And isn't Skyrim "Skyrim: Switch Edition" and not just the same skyrim? It'll probably be very close but maybe have a few differences in some ways. Or was that a rumor and it is the normal version?

I get your point, yes, they're Schrodinger's ports, they're both on par with and not on par with their original PC versions, but I just don't see the point in starting that line of conversation right after a presentation of indie titles that not only look to have parity with their original versions, but have "Switch-first" features that will be introduced later.

Anyway, Overcooked and Duck Game?! Seriously, I had doubts about them showing up at all. My new plan is to buy up all these indie couch multiplayer games and a couple extra joycons and have a portable party game machine. Between trips to my parents and hanging with my friends locally, there's always some fuckery with setting up a someone's PC in a convenient location and getting a grab bag of controllers working right, getting steam logins figured out (so and so's account has Ultimate Chicken Horse but not Jackbox games, etc.) If there's a way to get power and video to a tv without carrying a dock with me everywhere, it'll be perfect. And it's not like unhooking a dock is that big a deal anyway, compared to aforementioned PC setup shenanigans.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Well. I guess my joy on issue is solved. Sold out

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Wargroove. Man, that one got me. I'm am so excited for that one.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      Disappointed at the lack of Bloodstained. Was sure that would show up today.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
      Didn't Bloodstained get pushed to 2018? Seemed like all those games were 2017.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      Ah, that could be it then.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
      Nintendo absolutely should come out and say something about the Joycon issue because the moment there are press reports about it. . . that's as public facing as you get.
      urahonky wrote: »
      I'm not going to worry about the joycon issue until it's in my hands and there's no fix.

I'm going to agree with both these things. The technical fault is in of itself a non-issue until consumers actually have the product, but we live in a day and age where the press report (and tweet) every single minutae of in-progress development shit and having this PR thing perpetuate without something from the horse's mouth to calm pre-release jitters is not exactly best way to go about your messaging imo

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      Funny you should mention that because I'm really wanting to change my Bloodstained order from Wii U to Switch...assuming there will be a Switch version that is.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      edited February 2017

Unless he has already.

Really? I didn't like him at all. He seemed too monitone and lethargic (almost like someone who knew they had to sound energetic but had just been up the past 50 hours rehearsing), then tried to make up for it by ending his sentences with little bursts of excitement which just came off sounding weird and unnatural.

Unrelated, is it just me or is today moving along at an abysmally slow pace?

Handsome Costanza on
      Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
      I felt like he came off like an animatronic Chuck E Cheese robot.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
      This thread is really bored. Switch needs to come out so you guys have something to post about and don't fight over definitions of words.

I didn't think I'd find the Disgaea 5 thing compelling, but that's oddly appealing.

What is this I don't even.
    • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      edited February 2017
      I prefer Bill Trinen. If we can't have Iwata-san, Trinen should be the guy. He's the only one who can fill those shoes.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
      Darkewolfe wrote: »
      This thread is really bored. Switch needs to come out so you guys have something to post about and don't fight over definitions of words.

I didn't think I'd find the Disgaea 5 thing compelling, but that's oddly appealing.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is keeping me busy but I am still sitting here refreshing Switch stuff inbetween fights.

What the shit is wrong with me?

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
      Darkewolfe wrote: »

Horizon: Zero Dawn is keeping me busy but I am still sitting here refreshing Switch stuff inbetween fights.

What the shit is wrong with me?

Nothing.

Nothing is wrong with you, we are on the precipice of greatness.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
      So apart from Binding of Isaac and Enter the Gungeon is there anything else in the shmup and bullet hell front?

steam_sig.png
      TNTrooper wrote: »
      So apart from Binding of Isaac and Enter the Gungeon is there anything else in the shmup and bullet hell front?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu9QyThTpXo

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
      edited March 2017

... That music. I know it. And when you tell me what it is I will feel shame. What is it?!

Wraithverge on
      edited March 2017
      ... That music. I know it. And when you tell me what it is I will feel shame. What is it?!

I gotta stop posting youtube videos inline on this page. :P

It is this music! But be sure to listen to this live instrument version that is exceptional!

UncleSporky on
      welp walmart.com had the chargy grip and the colored joycons. So..... did it. be here friday....

edited March 2017
      Godamn it Nintendo nails sound. I turn off system sounds on every other system but I could listen to that for an hour without even noticing. I didn't spend a lot of time on my Wii, I'm surprised I recognized the song so ... Enthusiastically?

Edit: that instrumental cover was great. Weird to hear accordion that isn't either silly or polka!

Wraithverge on
    • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
      stopped by the freddys on my way home from work

they got 60 in (30 of each), don't take preorders, and don't have any restrictions on lining up

I like my chances

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
      fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
      that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
      bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    This discussion has been closed.