As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls] Stolen? No! This one found this thread by the side of the road.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I have trouble playing anything but one-handed / shield (and/or magic). I love the idea of 2-handers, but as I always play with darker nights/interiors, I need to be able to bring out a torch when there are no lights. With a 2-hander, that means putting my weapon away.

I almost always invest in archery as well, as the magic I use tends to be alteration and illusion. Sometimes conjuration. It's a bit of a rut.

Or get Wearable Lanterns by Chesko and have the light on your side and the two handed weapons in your hands.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I try to play interesting things in skyrim.

I always end up a sneaky archer though.

This is me in every Bethesda game.

Sometimes the bows use gunpowder.

5gsowHm.png
    Honestly, I think that is just the nature of the game. I always found it impossible to do a run and gun playthrough without Power Armor in Fallout 4, struggle to keep enough potions to justify a hack and slash playthrough in Skyrim. With stealth archery, you can go through whole dungeons without getting hit once, if you are good.

The only other playthrough I have done and not had problems with is a necromancer/dark brotherhood/vampire lord run. Get the necromancer stone thingy to mass rez people, keep vampire servant going, raise dead spells, and summon the dark brotherhood spirit thing and you got an army that grows and grows as you go deeper and deeper into the dungeon. Grab heavy armor and put magikia increasing enchantments on it and you'll walk through most dungeons without sweating. Open world combat gets tricky and so do dragon attacks (and the Valhalla battle near the end) but after the first two or three people die you are pretty much going to win any fight.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I managed to do ONE game where I wasn't a sneaky archer.

I was a sneaky illusionist/conjurer.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I've played it half a dozen different ways, I've never gone stealth archer. Conjuror/battlemage, sneaky stabber, two handed berserker, destruction mage, non-lethal thief, "non-lethal" illusionist/necromancer. Guy who never picks anything up, that was a good one...

It'll be heavy armour board-and-sword and restoration if I start again (when they put growable beards back in)

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    It'll be heavy armour board-and-sword and restoration if I start again

That was my first guy-- Redguard, of course-- got the Dawnblade and did 90% of the quests in the top of the map, quickly out-leveling the main storyline.

So I've seen a few quest mods get shown on Youtube, like Moon and Stars and Undead Reborn that I've yet to try out. Are there any others that are worth trying out for Special Edition?

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Just as an FYI, SKSE64 is expected to be released as a beta within a couple weeks (mid march) as per their website, While the post is old (from december) if the timeline had changed I'd assume they would have updated it.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'm slowly getting ready to return to Skyrim and start again, after a weird mod-related bug screwed my 80+ hour savegame years ago. I installed a modest selection of mods and will probably start in earnest once I'm done with Dishonored 2.

One thing I noticed today: either I've forgotten how hotkeys work or they're not working as they should. I should be able to highlight something in the Favourites menu and then press a number key, right? That doesn't seem to be working - or am I simply being really stupid about this?

Edit: Ah, now I get it. I can't just go to the Favorites menu in my inventory - I have to be outside the inventory, press the Favorites button, and then the list allows me to assign hotkeys. Not exactly intuitive, but at least now I know what to do.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Yes, Skyrim does hotkeys in a very strange way, which (like the rest of the awful UI) has everything to do with it being a console port.

That said, it turned out to be kinda useful, since it allows me to have favorites that are easier to access from the quick menu without actually needing to assign them to a hotkey. Then SkyUI came along and turned it into an actual PC interface, and things got pretty great.

I really hope someone manages to re-create SkyUI once SKSE64 comes out.

Yes, Skyrim does hotkeys in a very strange way, which (like the rest of the awful UI) has everything to do with it being a console port.

That said, it turned out to be kinda useful, since it allows me to have favorites that are easier to access from the quick menu without actually needing to assign them to a hotkey. Then SkyUI came along and turned it into an actual PC interface, and things got pretty great.

I really hope someone manages to re-create SkyUI once SKSE64 comes out.

Honestly SKSE/OBSE/FOSE is so essential anymore to modded Bethesda experience i'm honestly surprised they didnt give the SKSE guys a heads up to get some early work in before the game dropped.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    SkyUI 2.2 works with the Special Edition, though it does produce an error that the scripting aspect isn't working.

And the one thing that really gets me about Skyrim's handling of the Favorites list and the hotkeys is that it essentially has two Favorites lists (the one in the inventory and the one that appears when you press Q), and assigning hotkeys works in one but not the other. That's not due to consoles, that's due to Bethesda stupidity.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • ShiningKiteShiningKite Registered User new member
    I just bought The Elder Scrolls Online and before I start I want to see if I can find someone to play it with. I'm also willing to play other games. I don't have a preferred genre. I'd prefer to play with a girl because I've always gotten along better with girls my entire life. I'm a 20 year old male playing on PC in the US EST. My steam is shining_kite if you wanna experience this game and whatever else we feel like playing together.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know off hand if the special edition runs any better then the original? I want to pick it up for another platinum trophy but I don't really want to have to be concerned over new and interesting ways for the game to hose me.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Anyone playing Enderal? I finally got it working on my PC (had to wrestle with it for a day or so), and made a character, but it crashes (or gets stuck in an infinite loading loop) any time I try to enter Ark (the main city), so I'm kind of locked out of the main quest.

As impressive as it is, for a free mod, the constant translation and spelling errors kind of bug me. Some of the subtitles are still in German, even in the English version, and often don't match what the voice actor(s) are actually saying. They'll spell a word incorrectly in one sentence and then get it right in the next. It's a minor thing, but...

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    furlion wrote: »
    Does anyone know off hand if the special edition runs any better then the original? I want to pick it up for another platinum trophy but I don't really want to have to be concerned over new and interesting ways for the game to hose me.

It does run a lot better actually, because it's a 64-bit application and can make use of all the RAM newer computers tend to have (as in, more than 3-4GB). I found it pretty stable when I played it, and while the graphic improvements aren't mind-blowing, they are definitely noticeable. You will still have to deal with the usual Bethesda bugs, however, so be prepared for that. Nothing is ever going to change that.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    On consoles it runs way better, and has a better quick save system too

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I'm very sad they didn't go back and make the "dismantle the thieves guild with mjoll" quest line for SE

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Mjoll was such an obvious quest hook. She even had a fucking quest! It just... wasn't that

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Mjoll was such an obvious quest hook. She even had a fucking quest! It just... wasn't that

Iirc they were writing that quest, but they ran outta time to do such a big line so it was scrapped

To which I thought, well, what better time to include a big plotline a bunch of people care about than in the remaster you're doing that you can now also claim comes with fresh content!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    If they were still making Skyrim DLC I would still be buying it.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    If they were still making Skyrim DLC I would still be buying it.

I think you're not alone there, considering how many people *still* make and play mods for it.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    I need a mod that lets argonians sleep in underwater beds asap

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, it appears that SKSE64 is not coming out any time soon.

Shame, because Im not going to play Special Edition without it, and mods that require it's presence.

• GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    Any way to play this without Steam yet? Worst thing they did to series, in my opinion :sad:

I'd like to play Skyrim again, but if they don't want me to, then so be it! I'll play Oblivion and Morrowind instead. That'll show 'em!

Oh, by the way, is there any mods to skip the main quest line in Oblivion? I hate Oblivion gates and completed the main quest but my game is broken and would like to start tackling the side quests...

Or maybe I just play that broken save game and infinite level up... I had so much good things going on there too.

I still think that going inside that painting is one of the best quests in the series.

Asthariel wrote: »

Shame, because Im not going to play Special Edition without it, and mods that require it's presence.

Seems so, last update indicated a release of a beta around this time.

but apparently they've gone 100% radio silent. No updates, not even any indication that the project is still being worked on.

If the later proves to be true, I'd be disappointed.. but its guys doing it in their free time, so its their choice to make.

Just wish they'd give us some hint that they're still alive.

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular

but apparently they've gone 100% radio silent. No updates, not even any indication that the project is still being worked on.

If the later proves to be true, I'd be disappointed.. but its guys doing it in their free time, so its their choice to make.

This is the last update we have got.

This is the last update we have got.

Figures they'd do an update the day after i looked for one.

I always thought it was silly to have mods that you can't play the game without but that was before real time beard growth

I always thought it was silly to have mods that you can't play the game without but that was before real time beard growth

To be fair, I would say SKSE is more than just a mod...it opens up a whole new realm of possibility thats its more like a codebase expansion pack.

• iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    If anyone in here plays TESO here's a code for a Doom Mount as I won't be using it.
    EDIT: REDEEMED

If you use it please post so others know.

iRevert on
    "your demonstration of the thu'um in [shipwreck populated only by mudcrabs] has quite a stir, dragonborn" uh-huh

(I'd never seen that note before because I basically never use shouts, was using whirlwind sprint there to try and get off a piece of geometry)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I don't play ESO but I want whatever a doom mount is

• Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    iRevert wrote: »
    If anyone in here plays TESO here's a code for a Doom Mount as I won't be using it.
    DKDDNEY5PRMFEA3ANJWA

Redeemed! Thanks a bunch!
    Edit: His default name was a rather silly "Nightfur" so I renamed him to "Sirius" because hell yeah Harry Potter references are cool, right?

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »
    DKDDNEY5PRMFEA3ANJWA

Redeemed! Thanks a bunch!
    Edit: His default name was a rather silly "Nightfur" so I renamed him to "Sirius" because hell yeah Harry Potter references are cool, right?

No worries, hope you enjoy it.

It's just a reward from the dark brotherhood expansion of TES:L that came out today.

I'm very sad that SKSE64 remains unreleased. I didn't honestly think it would take them that long to make one, but it seems they aren't just creating a basic version then building from it, but rather trying to port the entire thing from SKSE... which is good if they finish it because it'll have all kinds of functionality, but bad because ho-lee crap that must be a massive undertaking.

Skyrim SE remains almost completely un-played by me, because (as was said above) I just have no desire to play without all those delicious SKSE-requiring mods.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    So I'm making my first mod for Morrowind! Well, I guess it's my second mod, but my first one was just an NPC in Seyda Neen that offered transportation to the Tamriel Rebuilt landmass (because they still haven't officially added anyone to do that yet, and the last mod that did do that is for an older version of the TR mod).

This one is a simple house mod that's based off of one I used years ago where the house is inside the shell of a silt strider. The original mod isn't available anymore so I'm making my own, and holy shit is it both easier and more complicated than I expected. It's gonna be rad, all tiny and cozy and a little dark inside with blue and green lights. It'll feel similar to an ashlander tent crossed with Telvanni stuff when I'm done I think, also with lots of tapestries and rugs everywhere. I'm pretty excited!

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I picked up ESO for about $10 on Xbox live a few days ago and its still downloading (my internet is actual butts) but should be done by the time I get off work tonight.

Is it worth putting down Mass Effect for a while?

I've never been super great at those kinds of mmorpg type dealios but I like the ES already so I figured hey, I'll give it a shot.

Juggernut on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I picked up ESO for about $10 on Xbox live a few days ago and its still downloading (my internet is actual butts) but should be done by the time I get off work tonight.

Is it worth putting down Mass Effect for a while?

I've never been super great at those kinds of mmorpg type dealios but I like the ES already so I figured hey, I'll give it a shot.

We have a dedicated thread in the MMO subforum though I think the rest of us playing are on PC. Still, questions on mechanics shouldn't diverge too much as long as they don't require add ons.

ESO falls somewhere between a mainline ES game and an MMO. Most stuff does not require a group, you still get credit for group activities like world bosses if you contribute to the fight even if not in a group proper, and your base stats are scaled up to the level of the area you're in (which is constant now) so you have a fighting chance against anything outside of instanced content and world bosses if you choose to putter off alone in any given area.

The world is less interactive than a mainline ES game with no object physics and some weird physics for jumping and barriers to it but you can click on and loot almost any container in the game, get into fights with most npcs (quest givers, merchants, and other npcs other players may need are immune to this), acquire and decorate houses (your first apartment is free), engage in burglary, and loot the body parts off of insects in flight.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    I saw a bit of my roommate playing the free weekend and it seemed pretty awful. Maybe it's just the introductory zones.