As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Restaurant Recommendation?

13»

• Options
    TurQTurQ New York CityRegistered User regular
    Is there a such thing as an actual Boston cream donut? If so, where can I get a fresh one? Not talking like Dunkin donuts

• Options
    mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    TurQ wrote: »
    Is there a such thing as an actual Boston cream donut? If so, where can I get a fresh one? Not talking like Dunkin donuts
    Pretty sure the "Boston cream donut" is any donut that had the custard filling that is associated with the Boston cream pie. I don't think it has a special place. The donut can be found anywhere and just means custard filled. My husband (from Boston) said that dunkin is what he craves when he thinks of the back home donut. Any bakery though will have a version of it.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    if u go to the omni parker hotel they have a famous boston cream pie in there resturant

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    rascrush wrote: »
    if u go to the omni parker hotel they have a famous boston cream pie in there resturant

I believe it is where the original was first served.

• Options
    rainismrainism Registered User regular
    Italian food: http://giacomosblog-boston.blogspot.com/
    This place has some amazing italian food. Closest location is in the North End. It always packed but definitely worth the visit.

• Options
    djlybsdjlybs Slayer of the Datas Boston MetroRegistered User regular
    mayapple wrote: »
    Pretty sure the "Boston cream donut" is any donut that had the custard filling that is associated with the Boston cream pie. I don't think it has a special place. The donut can be found anywhere and just means custard filled. My husband (from Boston) said that dunkin is what he craves when he thinks of the back home donut. Any bakery though will have a version of it.
    Yes, try blackbird donuts, but you have to get there early as they sell out quickly...freaking Adele...

MvyuK6O.png
  • Options
    gonz02130 wrote: »
    Boston born & raised here. If you have all of Saturday off, and are willing to venture out in March weather, I recommend taking the Red Line out to Cambridge/Somerville. Some of the best restaurants in/around Boston by far. If you get off at Central, it'll put you a few blocks away from the newly opened Roxy's A4cade . There are plenty of restaurants at the Harvard Sq. stop, but if you're looking for recommendations, Grendel's Den is a good pub, and Santouka Hokkaido Ramen is a popular spot. Even Davis & Porter stations have small neighborhoods with great places to eat. Let me know if you need more recommendations!
    Re: roxys, it is going to be crazy busy, I'd go for the food but i wouldn't bother with the arcade bit as it will easily be 45+minute wait to even get in fri and sat night.

MvyuK6O.png
  • Options
    kube00 wrote: »
    We need more bar recommendations!
    It's Boston if you can find a bar then you're doing something wrong...

MvyuK6O.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    IEatAss wrote: »
    To give some background information.

My friends and I are going to PAX East for the first time (we're seniors in highschool) Sadly we weren't able to get tickets for Saturday. (We did manage to grab Friday and Sunday).

So we decided that we would take Saturday and just explore Boston.

We all agreed that it would be fun to go out to a nice restaurant Saturday evening.

What's a nice place to go that's not TOO expensive but isn't a fast food place? (So around $30-40 per person)

Bonus points if it's in walking distance from the main convention hall.

If it hasn't been suggested yet for you fire and ice is an excellent all you can eat kind of joint, perfect for that highschool metabolism. You'll find it up the green line just off the Arlington stop.

It fits in below your budget if you just get food and drinks, and if you spring for desserts your right on budget.

The gimmick is that you grab the raw food you want mixed up, bring it to the grill, and they make it in front of you. You can do all kinds of stuff: pasta dishes, stir fry with noodles, fajitas, burgers, cheese steak, etc. It really just depends on what they have out for the day.

For those a bit older the bar isn't too shabby, and they make some excellent bowl style drinks (like a scorpion bowl) that will really knock you on your butt.

As an added bonus they do brunch on Sundays so you can get some excellent omelettes and pancakes and stuff going if you aren't hitting the con that day (brunch starts at 10)

• Options
    johnyg13nbjohnyg13nb Registered User new member
    I absolutely Love Kane's Donuts on Oliver Street. It's right near South Station so if your stop is there you can get there easily. Also if you find yourself by Boston Common go try Sal's Pizza. The chicken bacon ranch is to die for. Also try some Clam Chowder while your in Boston. Most places by the Harbor will have good chowder.
    http://www.kanesdonuts.com/

• Options

johnyg13nb wrote: »
    I absolutely Love Kane's Donuts on Oliver Street. It's right near South Station so if your stop is there you can get there easily. Also if you find yourself by Boston Common go try Sal's Pizza. The chicken bacon ranch is to die for. Also try some Clam Chowder while your in Boston. Most places by the Harbor will have good chowder.
    http://www.kanesdonuts.com/

I'd second this guy, but I'd still rather have the mythical (Adele-lovin) boston creme donut from Blackbird.

MvyuK6O.png
  • Options
    kube00 wrote: »
    We need more bar recommendations!

For real this time:

Jacob Wirth (German restaurant = plenty of Beer :) )
    MJ O'connors (decent bar scene)
    Abby Lane
    JJ Foley's (for literally a traditional Boston Bar i.e. just a bar no seats)
    Legal Crossing
    Lir in Back Bay
    Beantown Pub (have a cold sam adams across the street from the cold sam adams)
    Bostonia Public House
    Black Rose - more traditional irish pub
    Sissy K's is a bit divey
    The Pour House
    Frost ice loft - never been but it's one of those vodka ice bars ... in new england.... brilliant idea....btw currently forecast just above freezing for pax..
    All on Union St. : Bell in Hand, green dragon tavern , Hennessy's Bar, Tap Trailhouse (they did the pokecrawl one year in these bars)

In Southie:
    Lucky's Lounge
    Worden Hall, good selection of booze
    Moonshine 152
    Shenannigans

MvyuK6O.png
  • Options
    ibor132ibor132 MaineRegistered User new member
    I've not seen it mentioned yet - Barlow's is a pretty good bar/pub in Fort Point...probably about a five to ten minute walk from the convention center.

I also love Cambridge Brewing Company for beer but being in Cambridge (surprise!) it's a bit of a haul from Seaport. Red line to Kendall Square and about a five minute walk from there.

• Options
    revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    Note for anyone planning to venture out from the area near PAX on the red line: they're running shuttle buses between the Harvard Sq. stop and the Alewife stop on Saturday and Sunday. Stops impacted by this are Davis Sq., Porter Sq., and Alewife. You'll still be able to get to those places, but it will be significantly more annoying and time consuming than it would be otherwise.

• Options
    ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    We just tried Tikkaway, which is like Chipotle but with Indian food! Decent prices, great food, iced coffee and limeade YUM. They tell me they just opened last week! Right next to the Chipotle near the convention center. 55 Boston Wharf Road!

UyhWici.png