As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Desert Online (Orwen Server Ch. Mediah O1)

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    You should have also read that compared to the previous method, you actually have a MUCH higher chance of getting it now than you ever would have before.

Unless you have programmed yourself some choice sniping software, that is.

I am not disagreeing with this.

I think both systems suck. I guess I'm just spoiled by TERA's system where cash shop items are plentiful through the auction house. Prices may get crazy, but I can always find what I want and get it for gold. Here I'm just at the mercy of RNG and being in the right place (within a quick sprint of the marketplace) at the right time.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    That is because in order to prevent the P2W that other versions of the game became, the amount of silver the cash shop items sell for it downright miserable.

I think those costumes cost about $20-$25 bucks, but sell for an amount of in game money that an average player could grind out in less than two hours. If you are good at some processing and the like you could make it without even doing anything.

So honestly I am fairly shocked they even get sold at all. The reason they are hard to get is because of that if anything.

Can you buy/trade things outside the marketplace or is inter-player trading locked? Like could I just offer up 50 million for a costume in general chat and try to find a seller that way?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I know it is locked in lower levels. I thought I heard about being able to mail things to people after a certain level but I am not sure.

Apparently people will request certain things be put on the market and they will pay the max price, but basically anyone does anyway so I never understood it.

I just chose a few nights to chill on the market for a little while and ended up managing to grab a sorceress costume. I think 3 of them went up and I got one.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I just wait for things to actually hit the market. If they never come out of the bidding phase I just look for something else or wait.

I've managed to buy the Musa western frontier, ninja awakening and tamer Christmas outfit. Maybe they just weren't super popular enough but it wasn't too much of a problem by just skimming the market when I was nearby.

This was just a month or two ago, even, so yes it was during the new auction system.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2017
    I parked at the marketplace for quite a while last night, bidding every time one of 4 outfits popped up, the moment the bid button appeared. Came up empty. Bah! :(

In other news, the dark knight is crazy fun. Might just main that for a while.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    I parked at the marketplace for quite a while last night, bidding every time one of 4 outfits popped up, the moment the bid button appeared. Came up empty. Bah! :(

In other news, the dark knight is crazy fun. Might just main that for a while.

Just park an alt at the marketplace and set up notifications for the items you want. Then when the notification pops up, just relog and bid. I do this with pets, although I have yet to win the lottery. (I did buy 4 pets with real money, but now I want more so I can start breeding my cats!)

MSL59.jpg
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I was at a friend's place yesterday that had this on basically as an ambience setting machine while his character auto ran places and fished with minimal input from him. It was the most glorious and relaxing screensaver I'd ever seen.

Is the current 50% off deal a good one if I was looking to check the game out more in depth than just watching over someone's shoulder?

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Is this a subscription or FTP model, and if FTP, how exploitive is it?

edited March 2017
    @Elvenshae
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Is this a subscription or FTP model, and if FTP, how exploitive is it?

Neither, it's buy-to-play, with a cash shop full of non-essential boosts and cosmetics/furniture/horse decor...

EDIT: Also @davidsdurions - there's a 7-day free trial on their website last I looked. You can check it out for free! :) (if that's not there for some reason or I misread, I still have a 7-day trial buddy key too)

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Sorry, by FTP I meant "Buy-to-play," since there was obviously an up-front cost involved. :D

Sorry, by FTP I meant "Buy-to-play," since there was obviously an up-front cost involved. :D

In that case, the same basic answer applies. You can play forever without ever spending any more money. The only thing I've bought in the cash shop was a costume I had to have...

You also get "loyalty points" every day you log in (and for lots of other in-game reasons, like hitting X hours played on a character and that sort of thing). Those points can be used to buy a range of things off the cash store, too, including character slots, various character boosts, dyes, etc.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Pets are the one quality of life improvement that's definitely worth investing in.

Although it doesn't hurt to start with a Value Pack. You get to expand your bank and inventory space through questing, but an early Value Pack helps you survive early on when the space limits might otherwise feel pretty annoying.

MSL59.jpg
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Sounds great, I'll definitely be trying it out once I get some time here. How's the PA population? Active group still?

Is it still possible to download the character creator separately?

The page for it - https://www.blackdesertonline.com/events/ccm/ - doesn't seem to actually have a download link ...

I definitely recommend this game for anyone interested in trying out a new MMO. I've tried pretty much all the major MMOs in recent years, but I always find myself comparing them (unfavorably) to WoW. Didn't happen with BDO. It's so different from WoW that you can't really make the comparison. The combat is so fun and addictive that the grindiness of the game feels like a positive, and the game looks stunningly beautiful. As a biologist I love how the BDO artists have clearly studied vegetation in various terrains and made it look extremely natural. And this works perfectly as a secondary MMO even if you're primarily playing WoW or whatever. It's extremely AFK-friendly, you can leave your character doing stuff (fishing, crafting, riding a horse to learn Training skill...), minimize the game and play something else.

MSL59.jpg
    How's the PA population? Active group still?

She's dead, Bob.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    If there are any EU players around I'd be up for forming a small guild.

I've been hesitant to join any of the major guilds that are recruiting because the BDO community seems to be a bit more toxic than in most MMOs. So right now I'm in a two-person Fishing guild, and the other person doesn't really play anymore.

MSL59.jpg
    Played a bit of this last night.

Was going well through the newbie area (I think it was funny that killing my first fire grass beetle sent me up like two levels) when some kind of invasion was announced and all the enemies disappeared. That made it a bit hard to hunt down the Steel Imps I needed to progress my Black Spirit quest. :(

So I went back to town and introduced myself to all the question marks, which gave me enough "people known" to start a "conversation" with some other people, that allowed me to fill some "Amity" bars based on how interesting (?) some people were. No idea what the benefits were to that, since I hit the point on a bar where it looked like I should get something, but didn't. But, hey - fillin' bars erryday!

Then I logged off because the invasion was still going on, so there still weren't any enemies to fight, and I'd run myself out of energy picking herbs and didn't feel like waiting for it to regen.

Yeah I signed up for the 7-day free trial and started downloading the game yesterday morning. It took all day for it to download so by the evening I was pretty tired but it was ready so I pushed Play. I picked Ranger lady to start because I like rangers. Then spent like an hour fiddling with the character customization options.

Finally got in game and did the first couple of quests past the learn to move your character instructions. I like the combo moves and such, pretty cool.

Played a bit of this last night.

Was going well through the newbie area (I think it was funny that killing my first fire grass beetle sent me up like two levels) when some kind of invasion was announced and all the enemies disappeared. That made it a bit hard to hunt down the Steel Imps I needed to progress my Black Spirit quest. :(

So I went back to town and introduced myself to all the question marks, which gave me enough "people known" to start a "conversation" with some other people, that allowed me to fill some "Amity" bars based on how interesting (?) some people were. No idea what the benefits were to that, since I hit the point on a bar where it looked like I should get something, but didn't. But, hey - fillin' bars erryday!

Then I logged off because the invasion was still going on, so there still weren't any enemies to fight, and I'd run myself out of energy picking herbs and didn't feel like waiting for it to regen.

The main benefit to talking to the question marks is earning knowledge which increases your maximum energy (for all your characters).

As to amity, when you talk to an NPC, on the bottom left you can see your current Amity with them, as well as little icons whose tooltips show any benefits you can earn by increasing amity. With most NPCs you get nothing; some will sell you stuff when they like you enough, others will give you new knowledge or quests. Amity is also account-wide.

MSL59.jpg
    Yeah I signed up for the 7-day free trial and started downloading the game yesterday morning. It took all day for it to download so by the evening I was pretty tired but it was ready so I pushed Play. I picked Ranger lady to start because I like rangers. Then spent like an hour fiddling with the character customization options.

Finally got in game and did the first couple of quests past the learn to move your character instructions. I like the combo moves and such, pretty cool.

Good choice. At 41 you unlock the Ranger's best bow combos and feel like a goddess of death and destruction. She's extremely fun to play.

Currently trying to do my Awakening with the ranger. Looks like I'll need a group because the golems for the quest are assholes.

MSL59.jpg
  • BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Make sure your playing on one of the bonus experience servers. Should be the top 3 of the selection list. You can hit 50 in a few hours with that and a couple boosts! :)

@elvinshae you will enjoy this game!

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
    Every single class I've played is fun. This is problematic, because I can't just pick one and focus. I keep jumping between 5 different characters.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Here's a thing I've learned as a pretty new player: be careful to look at the dates of various online guides and youtube videos. There's a lot of outdated stuff out there that will mislead and confuse you, and it can be really difficult to tell which parts of a guide are still relevant anymore. Most basic class build and gearing guides should be good though, even if they're older.

MSL59.jpg
    I finally won a costume from the marketplace last night. Nabbed the Ayo one for my kunoichi. Yay! :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Is it normal that for the first...uh. 3 hours of gameplay I'm just following the quest marker, cutting things up with my ridiculously large sword (Dark Knight) and being apathetic about the characters around me, because they mean nothing to me and their quests mean nothing to me either. Also, slightly confused about "what's the point", why am I here and what the hell is the backstory to this world beyond "There are shadows and there is dark energy"?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Shit I'm like 50 hours in and still don't know any more then that lol

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    The story was...

Not terribly complicated to put it simply, a little bit jumbled. But yeah basic stopping The Big Bad Evil plot.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    I'm downloading this now. Gonna cooped up inside all weekend, so I'll need something to do.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    So when does it get better? I've played 119 minutes so I still could get a refund - so far the combat has been one-shotting crap with basic attacks, then watching as my character slowly auto-walks to next quest giver who spouts gibberish and then one-shotting some other crappy enemies who just stand there. The imp boss I summoned with a scroll is the only enemy so far who has done any damage to me. I'm not sure how much more of this I can take.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    The early enemies are something of a push-over, though they do get more sturdy/difficult as you get to higher levels. Thing is without a guild the game is largely about grinding mobs to level, if leveling up higher is your goal anyway. You could turn to the gathering/crafting system which felt quite rewarding at the time, or the trading system where you ferry goods between towns/cities.

But yeah the animals you fight, even up to and slightly beyond the goblins/orcs you deal with in the eastern part of the first zone are mostly push-overs.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    So has anyone talked about how Striker Awakening is basically Asura's Wrath combined with Jojo's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9YIgrOjTaI

Cause THAT'S A THING

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So this closes if you have Autohotkey running, even for unrelated purposes. Wonderful.

I also just logged back in and it seems to have lost all my setup quick slots.

Come on game, you can do better!

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    So, snagged this on steam sale for 6 euros and downloading as we speak.
    Thinking of going wizard for now (possibly sorc or tamer alt later), any tips and tricks for someone whose only contact with the game so far is couple youtube videos about classes pre launch and pretty screenshots of magic effects.
    Intending to go with no money spent first and see how far it goes, not against spending money in principle, but not willing to shell out any just now on gaming, probably buy a pet or two next month if i get really into the game.

Nyysjan on
  • TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    @Nyysjan There is a LOT to do in this game and it can get really overwhelming. I found this video which helped me get back into the game as I just came back having been gone since about a month after launch. Hopefully, it helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmiYQdaKDzQ

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Ok, installed, character created, and started tutorial.
    I can see how this game could be great, combat seems fun and interesting, graphics are great, UI is decent for the most part...
    And that's just from starting.

That said, it does not start very strong in my opinion.
    The opening cutscene narration and music was comically overblown (and the narrator does not have the gravites for the narration).
    Character creator, while having plenty of options to fiddle with, allows me to only make one of several flawors of old dude, or someone who looks like they were rejected from a japanese boyband on the grounds of being too pretty (not a major issue, i tend to make more weathered characters for my casters when an option).

And tutorial, is horrible.
    I get interrupted every couple seconds early on, the tutorial feels it needs to explain everything (not in itself a bad thing), but the messages cover much of what they are talking about making it unclear what i being explained.
    A more dispersed, and less intrusive, tutorial might have been better, with more player experimentation on the combat system.

I think this will get lot better once i am no longer dragged along in a leash (handholding, would be an understatement).

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    The tutorial is a war crime, but it mostly stops after you do a thing and anothe̹̜̠̘̿̑ͦ͌̆͑͂ͦr thing and a thing that unlocks the ability to upgrade gear. After you have that feature unlocked, you may go your own way. I think you'll need to visit some army camp and then talk to a lady in the camp and then run into a cave somewhere and touch a thing, whereupon Pocket Satan suggests that you should murder people. Presumably, some of these characters you meet are recurring and do things, but the important thing is that you have Pocket Satan.

Pocket Satan never stops suggesting murder. He is all over it, you don't even know. Pocket Satan got a list and he doesn't need to check it twice because e̦͎v̦̭͎̯͖͎̝͓͕eryone is on it.

Pocket Satan is my favorite npc of all time. He gets me.

"Hey buddy!" says Pocket Satan, "Tired of kil̕l͠ing these suckers yet? I know a place over the hill with some other people you can kill! Just letting you know."

And sure enough, over the hill is a village and I will k̛͜i҉ll̶ everyone because Pocket Satan is my frie͟nd and my fr͏i̷eņd̶ Pocket Satan would never lead me astray.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    How the heck does storage->container work? Bought house, bought storage in house, bought a container, go to house and nothing. It says use the arrangement mode button, but where the hell is that? Supposed to pop up in the house? Where?

Edit: Hours later I work out you need the building to be a residence to place the container. And I guess making the other floor storage helps? Or something? But got the damn container placed, anyway.

Xeddicus on