As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Friday the 13th : The Game] - Jason lives ... you wont. Out now PS4/Steam/Xbone

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    How many takes there were of it, and the amount of gore we got to see vs how much they had to cut out.

Kane thwacks the bag three times against the tree, and the gore in the bag looked like her brain exploded out of her skull. The MPAA said no way, that's too violent, and we wound up with one thwack and just a hint of gore.

https://youtu.be/1fJ1EawamS8

EDIT - I was way off on the thwacks. Unedited kill:

https://youtu.be/mJU9BXXaqo0

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Gross. I'm glad they edited it. Less is more as far as I'm concerned.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    The unedited version is just like, chunks of meat coming out of the bag by the fourth hit.

Oh, but the body and head look mostly intact when he drops the bag in the end. Ha.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Most Jasons probably won't even do that kill anyway unless you got a LOT of points for it, simply because of the time it takes. Seriously that kill tied Jason up for a solid 20 seconds.

Jason got places to be, things to do, other kids to kill.

Meh. Dude was wounded, limping and didn't have a first aid kit. Jason had a bead on him the entire time. It was a worthwhile and easy kill. Only thing that could've saved him is some other counselor coming in to play the hero and distract him, but in a public game with randoms? Ain't no one going to save you. Every survivor for themselves!

And no Friday fan playing as Jason is going to pass up a shot at the sleeping bag kill. It's too iconic.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I don't mind that kind of gore, I guess. It's incredibly corny and funny.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    And no Friday fan playing as Jason is going to pass up a shot at the sleeping bag kill. It's too iconic.

I would. It's not iconic at all to me; it's just silly and dumb.
    I don't mind that kind of gore, I guess. It's incredibly corny and funny.

All things gore shouldn't be to be effective for me. I watch horror movies to be scared, not to hope some horribly portrayed jerk "gets what's coming to them" in as funny a way as possible.

Magic Pink on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    And judging from your stances on board games, Pink, maybe we just need to call it at "not everything will be right for all people" and agree to disagree?

"I hate this thing" vs "I think it's okay", doesn't seem like there's much more to discuss?

Note, I don't actually care one way or the other about this specific kill, as I'm neither planning on getting the game nor a giant Friday the 13th fan. It just seems like a loop without an end if we don't recognize it for what it is.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I watch horror movies to be entertained. I watch the news to be scared.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Is there a bonus for executing those type of kills? Seems like the sort of thing Jason would be "rewarded" for.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Forar wrote: »
    And judging from your stances on board games, Pink, maybe we just need to call it at "not everything will be right for all people" and agree to disagree?

"I hate this thing" vs "I think it's okay", doesn't seem like there's much more to discuss?

Note, I don't actually care one way or the other about this specific kill, as I'm neither planning on getting the game nor a giant Friday the 13th fan. It just seems like a loop without an end if we don't recognize it for what it is.

I think it would be a hard one to pull off in game unless someone deliberately tried to set it up. How does the sleeping bags appear when Jason uses sense? What benefits are there to staying still and hiding do you get calmer lowing your fear level? Does Stamina recover faster while hidden?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    Is there a bonus for executing those type of kills? Seems like the sort of thing Jason would be "rewarded" for.

Points in the Christmas beta seemed a little skewed.

For Jason, you got 100 points for a kill. Doesn't matter how. Everything else you could do was peanuts. I think your next biggest chunk was breaking an electrical generator or phone booth for 50xp (called Party Crasher) but you could only get that bonus once. If you killed a counselor with an environmental kill, you got 10xp for "Versatile" and I think if you killed a counselor with melee attacks, you got a Melee bonus of 10. If you managed to kill everyone, you got a 250xp bonus for "No Survivors".

Counselors best bet was to survive. You got something like 10 xp for small things like using a Firecracker, or First Aid Spray, or setting up a trap and equipping a melee weapon. I think they got 25 for calling the Ranger dude or the police, and 50 xp for stunning Jason with an attack. I forget how much you got for completing a skillcheck like fixing the phone box, or repairing the car. If you somehow survived the night, you got 300xp.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I think the more brutal the kill the more scared players become when they come across the body. So you could freak out others if you got a big kill near a high traffic area.

That makes sense. A player dies from injuries, it's traumatic. Seeing Jason chunk a friend into a fireplace, that's pants shitting fear levels.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Gross. I'm glad they edited it. Less is more as far as I'm concerned.

https://youtu.be/mF629C5WRqU
    Jason X is amazing

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The developers are having a panel at PAX East tonight at 10:30 PM/9:30 Central. Should be a stream of it, they'll post a link to their Twitter.

The developers are having a panel at PAX East tonight at 10:30 PM/9:30 Central. Should be a stream of it, they'll post a link to their Twitter.

Was going to ask if anyone was at PAX to see the panel. Looking forward to the stream.... OF BLOOD.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    Holy crap that song is terrible.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Holy crap that song is terrible.

I think it's fitting the mood. I like it.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was a bit disappointed that the "trailer" was just "a bunch of kills set to music".

When I was watching a bunch of the gameplay, it never felt like there was an immense amount of variety in play, just whatever was available and fastest before Jason got back into the hunt.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Forar wrote: »
    I was a bit disappointed that the "trailer" was just "a bunch of kills set to music".

When I was watching a bunch of the gameplay, it never felt like there was an immense amount of variety in play, just whatever was available and fastest before Jason got back into the hunt.

In Beta they hadn't unlocked the counselors special abilities, and we just had the one map. In the matches I played it usually broke down the same way. There was only a few ways to win as a counselor, Get to police, get away in car, wait it out, kill jason (never saw someone do it so there is likely a trick)

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    It's totally a throwback thing

Went to buy the song, it's not available until 21 April. Boooo

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Apparently the Tom Savini Jason is Jason after he was dragged to hell. His mask has slash marks from Freddy and he burns with Hellfire. Looks pretty sick.

Wonder what his stats are.

Wonder what his stats are.

-10 to 80s camp
    +10 to 90s camp

• FryFry Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The music in the trailer was bad, but it wasn't so bad it was good.

By contrast, the intro logos in the trailer were so bad they were good. :)

Fry on
    It was Man Behind the Mask, bad, which is perfect for me. :)

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    Watching that PAX panel, they did a rad job on part 9 Jason. That squishy and swollen waterlogged look freaked me out as a kid. It's just a shame that his outfit was pretty much this kinda boring blue jumpsuit. That under-mask though.

Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
    New ability for Jason! Stalk

http://forum.f13game.com/index.php?/topic/3559-jasons-fourth-ability-stalk-revealed/

With launch ever approaching, we thought it might make sense to talk more in-depth about Jason's Stalk ability. We've been quiet about this ability since word first got out about it. It wasn't because we were just being secretive...It was because we needed to test the crap out of it to get it just right. We didn't want to reveal too much, too early, and then make changes to it later. But now, we have it dialed in. We love it and think you will too.

OK, so what is it? Stalk allows the Jason player to both mute the music counselors hear when Jason is near AND boost Jason's hearing so he can pick up on counselors footsteps, opening drawers, doors, windows, etc. So let's break this down. First up, muting Jason's music.

One thing I've personally wanted in the game was the ability to sneak up on a counselor as Jason. There are so many moments in the films when the soundtrack dies down, the target has no idea what's about to happen and BAM! Jason appears and kills. I wanted that, badly. However, the way we built the dynamic music system made this tricky. But we spent some time tuning it and made room for this feature. This ability can be used in different ways. First you could find some counselors in a barricaded cabin, break a few windows, get out of sight and then activate Stalk. Now the counselors think Jason has left the area. The coast is clear, right? We can totally climb out this window and everything is great, right? Wrong. Jason grabs and kills. Awesome!

Another way to use this ability is to plan ahead for a jump scare. Perhaps you select a building that you know will be a hot area for counselors. Perhaps a cabin next to the car. There's a good chance there's a car part in there, right? So you morph to that building, go inside, and activate Stalk. Now you just stand there and wait. A counselor enters the cabin, barricades the door and starts looking for stuff in drawers. Muhahaha...It's never a good idea to lock yourself in with Jason. It's hard to describe the glee felt when a counselor turns around from locking the door and you're standing there as Jason. Satisfying, to say the least.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    ITS A TRAP

http://forum.f13game.com/index.php?/topic/3622-jason-traps-quick-qa/

Hey campers! With the recent announcement of Jason having traps, we thought it would a good time to break this feature down with some Q&A.

Q: Are Jason's traps the same asset as the counselors trap?
    A: No. Jason spent a long time in the woods, alone. Honing his skills as a hunter and killer. This is a trap that he has created, using found items in the woods. Old pieces of wood, rusty nails and spikes and perhaps old bed springs from an old mattress to slam the trap shut.

Q: How do Jason traps work?
    A: Jason has traps in his inventory (hud icon). Once selected (button press) Jason kneels and places trap on ground, and then covers the trap with leaves.

Q: How many traps does Jason have?
    A: Each Jason will have different amounts of traps. For example, J2 might have 5, whereas J8 only 3.

Q: Can Jason find more traps in the world, like counselors?
    A: No. These are basically consumables. Once set, Jason can not disarm and move them, nor can he find more.

Q: Can counselors disarm traps?
    A: At this point, no. We want to wait until after launch to see what you guys think about it. We want your feedback and then we'll make changes if deemed necessary. For what it's worth, we think they are pretty fun as is.

Q: Once a counselor steps in a trap, how long does it take to break free?
    A: Slightly longer than stepping in a counselor's trap.

Q: How much damage will the trap do to counselors?
    A: Slightly more than the counselor's trap.

Q: Can Jason set traps anywhere on the map?
    A: Jason can only set traps within exterior areas only. He can not set them inside a cabin/building/underwater/docks. Only on ground textures.

Q: Can Jason set traps near doors, windows and the car?
    A: Yes. And it's awesome. You might think, at first blush, that this is too OP and could be used to troll. But Jason only has a limited amount of these.

Q: When a counselor steps on a trap, how will Jason know?
    A: The Jason player will hear a "trap snapping shut" sound. He will also see the traps he set on his minimap. Traps that have gone off will be flashing on his map. He will see the same thing when he opens his Morph map interface.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    Mmm, yes. Trap 3 counselors near a car or the phone box. Yeeessss.

Mmm, yes. Trap 3 counselors near a car or the phone box. Yeeessss.

I think if you nab them in a trap it would be easier to just slash them to death instead of grab-kill

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    But that versatility bonus!

Also, yes, probably. People working on getting the car fixed usually do it in a group. People who are fixing a phone box tend to be alone without a bodyguard, and usually Jason morphing out of nowhere would be enough to get them to both run in terror.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    Late May isn't what I would call early 2017 but whatever