As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Can't Believe It's Not a State of the Union Address

13»

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Zonugal wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    Wyvern wrote: »
    What is VOICE? I didn't have the stomach to watch this or read articles about it.

An organization in DHS tasked with documenting and publishing a list of crimes committed by immigrants. Note I didn't say undocumented immigrants.

It's fucking terrifying.

Wait, what!?!

Well fuck, I'm in that group!

Well good news, if you commit a crime you'll probably be recorded on an official government list and used as a first step in escalating anti-immigrant policies!

rhylith on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I sure love the fact that he's pointing out when immigrants do crimes and stays completely silent on when a white guy shoots up two Indians for being brown.
    That's super comforting.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Honestly the most worrying thing about VOICE is that I'm not seeing it front and center on any major news websites. They are perfectly willing to let this shit slide because trump read off a teleprompter without random outbursts like a big boy.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    What is VOICE? I didn't have the stomach to watch this or read articles about it.

An organization in DHS tasked with documenting and publishing a list of crimes committed by immigrants. Note I didn't say undocumented immigrants.

It's fucking terrifying.

VOICE was leaked last week in a DHS memo and it is focused on undocumented immigrants.

"This includes the arrest or apprehension of an alien whom an immigration officer has probable cause to believe is in violation of the immigration laws," the implementation guidance reads, giving officers broad authority to arrest those they suspect of being undocumented.
    The guidance also takes any money being used by DHS to advocate on behalf of undocumented immigrants to establish the Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement (VOICE) Office, which is mandated by the executive order to report crimes committed by undocumented immigrants and to advocate for victims of those crimes.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

It's fucking terrifying.

VOICE was leaked last week in a DHS memo and it is focused on undocumented immigrants.

"This includes the arrest or apprehension of an alien whom an immigration officer has probable cause to believe is in violation of the immigration laws," the implementation guidance reads, giving officers broad authority to arrest those they suspect of being undocumented.
    The guidance also takes any money being used by DHS to advocate on behalf of undocumented immigrants to establish the Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement (VOICE) Office, which is mandated by the executive order to report crimes committed by undocumented immigrants and to advocate for victims of those crimes.

"focused on" means pretty much nothing. You can "focus on" one thing while at the same time doing a bunch of stuff you can turn around and use against other people.

Police-run traffic stops are ostensibly "focused on" preventing drunk driving or some such bullshit but the demographic reports of what actually come out of them sure are interesting.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Wait, am I reading that right in that any money that used to be used to advocate for undocumented immigrants is now being rerouted to put criminals on a list?

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    cursedking wrote: »

It's fucking terrifying.

"focused on" means pretty much nothing. You can "focus on" one thing while at the same time doing a bunch of stuff you can turn around and use against other people.

Police-run traffic stops are ostensibly "focused on" preventing drunk driving or some such bullshit but the demographic reports of what actually come out of them sure are interesting.

I mean, ok, but rhylith said that VOICE had no link between undocumented versus documented immigrants, and the memo which details the program uses the terminology several times.

I realize we are on doomsday alert at all times these days but at this point in time, VOICE is described as an office of ICE that is going to highlight crimes committed by undocumented immigrants in order to be racist and xenophobic and to try and get leverage for more intense deportation/border control legislation. It is not about documented immigrants.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What if there was some way to get all the undocumented immigrants refugee status

This discussion has been closed.