As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] of Lovecraft: West Victory!

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hilariously enough, I didn't notice that message either.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Smasher wrote: »
    Oh my god, it's hilarious how much cj iwakura helped me out without him meaning to or me even realizing it. I don't think it was possible for him to pick better targets for my sake.

I totally missed that secret message in Aldo's post, and I wasn't even sure if the Cultists knew who I was. I'm really surprised Aldo didn't just out me towards the end of his last day after the bandwagon was inevitable.

Also, the Voodoo Master role made me laugh way too hard. Did you come up with that before my role became public?
    Yeah, we brewed that up before it was in the narration. :P

If I had outed *another* dr West no one would believe anything else I had said. I expected there to be more zombies out there and they would have paid attention to what I wrote. I thought it was obvious to everyone that I was evil as sin.

Aldo on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    When did you guys attack me anyway?

Smasher on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    After I had died, unfortunately. I had been adamant about killing you for the longest time, because you were a vet but were being rather quiet this Phalla... and I knew from experience that you could play the game almost entirely from PMs. :P

DarkPrimus on
    edited December 2007
    I wonder why we didn't think anything of Smasher. There wasn't really any reason why we should have assumed that he was the gravedigger's son.

Aldo on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    I wonder why we didn't think anything of Smasher. There wasn't really any reason why we should have assumed that he was the gravedigger's son.
    I didn't. I had him equal with RU.

Quid on
    edited December 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    After I had died, unfortunately. I had been adamant about killing you for the longest time, because you were a vet but were being rather quiet this Phalla... and I knew from experience that you could play the game almost entirely from PMs. :P

Heh, are you referring to Kingdoms of Phallacia? That game raped my mailbox. I'm just glad the board switch happened before that, since the old boards let you have like 15 messages tops.

As for activity, I think you have me mispegged. The first seven or so Phallas I played I posted a lot, but that's dropped for the most part in the past few I've done regardless of my role. This Phalla having roughly half the posts most Phallas do contributed to that too.

I'm curious to check out your board... hopefully Plutonium comes around soon.

Smasher on
    edited December 2007
    I'd give y'all my login-info, but it's a passport I use on a lot of places, so it wouldn't be smart if I would poast it on teh forams.

Aldo on
  • duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I hate to ask too much, but could you change your login info to something like

username: guest2
    password: 123456

I am willing to wait though....

durax on
    edited December 2007
    oh right, I could probably do that.

Aldo on
    edited December 2007
    Apparently it'll take up to ten minutes for it to e-mail me the confirmation.

Quid on
    edited December 2007
    right:

Bad guy proboards: http://strangeaeons.proboards59.com/index.cgi?
    Name: aldo
    password: 1a2b3c

Aldo on
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Can I get some measure of props for calling out DarkPrimus, Plut and Quid? Maybe? No? :(

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
    edited December 2007
    In This Phalla: I suck at picking out cultists.

Smasher on
  • hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Note:
    My random attack on Plutonium was spot on.

hesthefastest on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Raakam wrote: »
    Can I get some measure of props for calling out DarkPrimus, Plut and Quid? Maybe? No? :(
    No. I maintain that you were evil from the word go, only because I have rallied against you this long and I must continue!

Seriously, I'm sorry I laid the hate on you!

Satan. on
  • TheFallenLordTheFallenLord Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    durax didn't hit TFL because the cultists hit him first. He didn't get off an attack tonight either, since he never updated to change to someone else.

TFL got screwed by the turn order; his target last night was Brainleech.

emot-argh.gif

I had a lot of fun in this game. It was pretty easy for me to avoid doing anything suspicious, because I knew I could always nuke people I thought were acting funny.

Brainleech was pretty much a shot in the dark. He made a single post I thought was a little off, so I wrote his name down. It just happend to be on my list. Aldo would have been my choice, but the vote was going his way, so I picked the next name.

Thanks to Elendil for running the game! It was my first one in a while, and it didn't let me down.

TheFallenLord on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    I thought this game was sort of awesome.

For the record, had I been a member of the cults, I would have made up a role for which we could devise some "test", then have a cult member claim to be that role at a critical time and request protection. This plan may bear unforeseen weakness given that I gave it about 30 seconds thought.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yay I lived to the end! And being vague worked again
    I thought Dr West was Smasher after Romantic Undead defended himself in that rather odd way.
    This was a fun phalla to play

Brainleech on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This was a fun phalla to (kind of) play and watch. And to think, we could have had Aldo out on day 1 if you had only listened!

James on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    Only just before I went to bed I realised that I might have made a mistake and that Smasher was probably dr West. I couldn't do anything, unless people would stop believing my other posts as well, so I did this. Notice the smaller letters in there, put them together and you see the name of Smasher. It's a post detailing what would happen if RU is the gravedigger's son and the hidden message said "Smasher", I thought it was very clever for something this desperate.
    I can't believe no one noticed that. I had been dead since Night 1 and I saw that. :(

I saw that and was going to ask Elendil if it was something to do with his role or what, since I wasn't allowed to talk to anyone else about the game.

I also don't think there was a network, as I don't think there was a seer--that's why we got two exhumations.

LaOs on
    edited December 2007
    It would have been hilarious if I'd somehow gotten voted off the first day, and then half the mechanics were broken or useless for the entire game.

Smasher on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It would have been hilarious if I'd somehow gotten voted off the first day, and then half the mechanics were broken or useless for the entire game.
    I'm not sure what I would have done. Possibly introduced a couple of "new mechanics"

Elendil on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That was a damn good Phalla. Good job, Elendil. :D

I only wish I had been more active. Fucking cold-virus...

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited December 2007

You have my sympathy; I think I came down with that a couple weeks ago.

Smasher on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's kind of a shame to realise I'm going to keep biting it Day 2 or so because I'm so damn active, but I'm not about to change my ways for the likes of youse!

I really enjoyed this one. Even though I think hidden mechanics games trend towards inactivity and player boredom, this one seemed interesting enough and didn't feel to be dragging or have a sense of uselessness. Good work, Elendil.

LaOs on
    edited December 2007

You have my sympathy; I think I came down with that a couple weeks ago.
    I came down with it in the middle of the game

Elendil on
    edited December 2007
    LaOs wrote: »
    Even though I think hidden mechanics games trend towards inactivity and player boredom, this one seemed interesting enough and didn't feel to be dragging or have a sense of uselessness. Good work, Elendil.
    I was hoping that the delayed reveals would do that. It was intended as a fairly "open" game, just perhaps not right away. Nearly all mechanics were public within a few days (barring a few role-specific mechanics) and exhumation let you get info from deaths, it just needed to be prioritized.

Elendil on
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It was my opinion that the cultists were completely underpowered, and had way too many kills blocked.

After five nights, we had only one death, and no good network, with many specials dead. In any other game, we would have had it in the bag, except that we did not have any power at all. We were weaksauce badguys, with much less kills than the good guys. It was completely biased against us, and we did extremely well with what we had to work with, but it simply was almost impossible for us to win. The game went too long, and we didn't have any real tricks up our sleeve apart from ballsy manipulation tricks that worked for quite a few nights.

We had a ton of kills blocked - three or more, and with only two kills a night, we couldn't do anything about it. Being a bad guy yet not being able to kill someone is completely useless, especially as there were only six of us.

Dr. West was totally overpowered, having the equivalent of two lives, killing the person who attacks him first, and being immune to us completely.

In fact, it felt like the game was deliberately biased against us, like the rules were being bent on the fly to give the village a better fighting chance, with special upon special being foisted upon us as we took them down.

I think the cultists got screwed.

Anyways, Cultist proboards are here and unlocked.

Plutonium on
    edited December 2007
    It came apart when I brought the ballsiness train to a halt and didn't reveal myself.

Had I done that we could have won and been the ballsiest bad guys in Phalla history.

Quid on
    edited December 2007
    We didn't have any other options. Our abilities sucked, and we were getting half our kills blocked, so we had to stick our necks out there and get gutsy.

When the bad guys KNOW who the guys they need to kill are and can't kill any of them, it's totally lame.

Plutonium on
    edited December 2007
    There not being any village network to speak of isn't exactly an advantage to simply dismiss. Nor is a complete lack of seers.

And you guys got three kills blocked, and got two extra late in the game. Not a gigantic setback.

Elendil on
    edited December 2007
    Having one of your two kills blocked three nights in a row certainly is a setback. It's not like we were outsmarted either, it's just LOL LUCK HAHA I CAN'T DIE.

I'm pretty sure that new abilities were being added on the fly to even out the game in favor of the village.

Plutonium on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    So uh apparently I am terrible at these things.

Anyone have advice? How the fuck do you network when you get the "lol villager you can't do anything special" PM in every single game?

:(

Medopine on
  • duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Recently people have started forming villager networks.
    That is to say, a villager PMs somebody else they believe to be innocent and things progress from there.

So far the benefits of such a strategy have proven to be worth the inherit risk.

I also think it has the tangential benefit of granting a second perspective. Often, I am so concentrated on seeking evil that I become paranoid and twitchy as I play a game where the odds of me being right are very small.
    Conversely, when the search is for an innocent, the odds are very much in favor that I'll pick another innocent, and well, two heads are better than one.

Short answer: Pick someone you believe to be trustworthy and start your own network.

durax on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Medopine wrote: »

Anyone have advice? How the fuck do you network when you get the "lol villager you can't do anything special" PM in every single game?

emoteng101fm3.gif
    Being a villager is one of the best roles in the game. Unlike specials and evils, you can be free with your speculations and thoughts. You don't have to worry about drawing suspicion to yourself. Even if you get yourself killed, you aren't that important. Hell, rather you die then the seer, right?

The important thing to do when you are a villager is spend time on the game. Most players get the villager PM and think "Oh, I got the boring role. Oh well." and don't participate as much as they should. But a single player, who pays attention and voices their suspicions, can make a huge impact on the game.

So what I'm trying to say here is, even as a villager, you can still accomplish plenty, as along as you are willing to put in the effort and try.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I used to wreak horrible havoc as a villager.
    Now I'm responsible!

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Act suspicious and get seer'd.

James on
    edited December 2007
    James wrote: »

But hopefully not vigilante'd.

Smasher on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    James wrote: »

But hopefully not vigilante'd.
    That's it, !vote Smasher and James

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on