As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Switch: No Zelda Talk Here

19495969798100»

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I got 10% off one item from Best Buy which the fine print says doesn't count toward Xbox One or PS4 so I think it'd work on Switch if anyone wants to use it

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
      Krathoon wrote: »
      I am beginning to wonder if store pickup was a good option for my order.

Best Buy?

• WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
      edited March 2017
      I'd infer that the higher power wall wart (45W) provides more power than the Switch would ever need due to the USB ports on the Dock. They need to ensure that if you plug something demanding into the USB-A port (say, a JoyCon charger stand) that it can draw sufficient power to not fail on the ports while still powering (and charging) the Switch itself. That seems to be supported by the claims that some people tested and it never draws more than 16W.

Still, I'm holding off on upgrading my portable battery (and I would highly recommend others wait as well). Even a portable battery with USB-PD isn't guaranteed to behave as expected if Nintendo put some kind of a proprietary spin on the connection.

Edit: Damn @wunderbar swooping in with logic. Ignore me!

Wraithverge on
    • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
      I'd infer that the higher power wall wart (45W) provides more power than the Switch would ever need due to the USB ports on the Dock. They need to ensure that if you plug something demanding into the USB-A port (say, a JoyCon charger stand) that it can draw sufficient power to not fail on the ports while still powering (and charging) the Switch itself. That seems to be supported by the claims that some people tested and it never draws more than 16W.

Still, I'm holding off on upgrading my portable battery (and I would highly recommend others wait as well). Even a portable battery with USB-PD isn't guaranteed to behave as expected if Nintendo put some kind of a proprietary spin on the connection.

USB 2.0 ports only natively provide 0.5A of power, USB 3.0 ports provide 0.9A. Even if all 3 are providing full power to a device that's still less than 10W. You're still talking 30W of power for the Switch.

Remeber, the tests show taht the switch never uses more than 16W of power, but you need a lot more tha 16W to charge the switch at any appreciable speed if the power draw is near that.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
      The charge from best buy has been pending on my card since Sunday

Calls to my credit card have assured me it'll clear

Best Buy said everything looks good on their end

I don't think I'll have this on Friday

Farangu wrote: »
      The charge from best buy has been pending on my card since Sunday

Calls to my credit card have assured me it'll clear

Best Buy said everything looks good on their end

I don't think I'll have this on Friday

All I want is for Best Buy Canada to take my money, and they don't seem to want to do that :(

I've never said that before.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
      edited March 2017
      wunderbar wrote: »

USB 2.0 ports only natively provide 0.5A of power, USB 3.0 ports provide 0.9A. Even if all 3 are providing full power to a device that's still less than 10W. You're still talking 30W of power for the Switch.

Remeber, the tests show taht the switch never uses more than 16W of power, but you need a lot more tha 16W to charge the switch at any appreciable speed if the power draw is near that.

Right, I didn't factor in the charge PLUS the powering. Thanks! On a related note, it seems Digital Foundry tested a USB-C battery and it added about 4 hours of playtime (from a 10,000 mAh USB-C battery). That makes me happy. I always have a battery in my messenger so I'm pretty much set to play 6+ hours at any given mobile moment. I'll probably have a bigger battery too!

Wraithverge on
    • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
      Knight_ wrote: »
      Feel fairly confident that the Switch is going to be a dead console walking in US/EU if they can't fix this joycon sync thing with a software patch.

Every review spent multiple paragraphs on it and it's only going to spiral. The switch has such an uphill climb to begin with that I'm really not sure it can survive a major hardware issue right out of the gate.

Average consumer gives zero fucks about game site reviews. Keep banging that drum though, I'll be playing the greatest Zelda game ever made for the next four days straight.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
      Knight_ wrote: »
      Feel fairly confident that the Switch is going to be a dead console walking in US/EU if they can't fix this joycon sync thing with a software patch.

Every review spent multiple paragraphs on it and it's only going to spiral. The switch has such an uphill climb to begin with that I'm really not sure it can survive a major hardware issue right out of the gate.

Average consumer gives zero fucks about game site reviews. Keep banging that drum though, I'll be playing the greatest Zelda game ever made for the next four days straight.

I mean, I have 2 switches preordered and zelda and a case and a pro controller and a 200 gb micro sd and all kinds of shit. One can still be concerned.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

Right, I didn't factor in the charge PLUS the powering. Thanks! On a related note, it seems Digital Foundry tested a USB-C battery and it added about 4 hours of playtime (from a 10,000 mAh USB-C battery). That makes me happy. I always have a battery in my messenger so I'm pretty much set to play 6+ hours at any given mobile moment. I'll probably have a bigger battery too!

I have two 20,000 mAH batteries. My Switch will last forever.

edited March 2017

yea those ones will keep the battery from discharging too much while playing it.

I want to wait for someone to do testing before pulling the trigger on something new, but something like the link below should actually charge it at nearly full speed using a USB-C to C cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-RAVPower-26800mAh-Recharged/dp/B01LRQDAEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488403088&sr=8-1&keywords=USB+PD+battery

Again, *should* I'm not buying anything, because I still have a couple games I want to buy, and a MicroSD card, so a good USB-PD battery is lower on my priority list.

wunderbar on
    • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
      Looks like a charge for 299.99 from Amazon has showed up on my bank account. Fingers crossed I'll actually get this thing Friday.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
    • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
      I'm going to let you guys guinea pig the chargers and tell me which ones work the best. :)

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
      urahonky wrote: »
      Phoenix-D wrote: »
      Donnicton wrote: »

That's... weird. Also, Nintendo released a quick eShop video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JV8v7WC6Ck

It's nice because it confirms all those eShop cards I just bought will transfer.

Curious why they didn't enable this for reviewers.

Because getting information/communication out to people isn't exactly Nintendo's strong suit =/

What about money I already have in my EShop account?

The video showed him merging it.

Hmm, I wonder if they're gonna sync and retrofit the new Nintendo Account stuff backwards, or is it just a one time transfer of funds from the old account to the new one?

Like, you don't have a Nintendo "game catalog" the way you do on Playstation and Xbox.

The video states you can use the funds across all of your Nintendo systems. So I would imagine those are still available on 3DS/Wii U at least.

Game catalog-wise, we still just really don't know.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular

yea those ones will keep the battery from discharging too much while playing it.

I want to wait for someone to do testing before pulling the trigger on something new, but something like the link below should actually charge it at nearly full speed using a USB-C to C cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-RAVPower-26800mAh-Recharged/dp/B01LRQDAEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488403088&sr=8-1&keywords=USB+PD+battery

Again, *should* I'm not buying anything, because I still have a couple games I want to buy, and a MicroSD card, so a good USB-PD battery is lower on my priority list.

the one in the digital foundary video is 10 $

:D impulse buy towns

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
      edited March 2017
      Merging eShop balances is halfway there. I doubt they will move all our shit to a single account for us though unless they start tracking installs on digital content, which I believe would be the simplest solution for this problem.

HallowedFaith on
      I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
      mojojoeo wrote: »

the one in the digital foundary video is 10 $

:D impulse buy towns

that one is a standard 5V/3A output, so it won't actually *charge* the switch at any appreciable rate. It'll keep the battery from draining quickly when it's plugged in, and will trickle charge when in sleep, but if your battery is near dead and you're hoping to use it to charge the battery... nope.

This discussion has been closed.