As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old [NHL] Thread

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    So far it seems the rebuild consists of keep all of our mediocre players, and get more mediocre players. Martinsen for Andrighetto swap. For reasons I guess?

Awesome.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The Vegas Golden Knights are now an official NHL franchise, and can begin making trades/transactions. happend about an hour before the deadline.

They were unable to until all the paperwork was completed on the $500 million expansion fee. That was completed this morning, thus making them officially the NHL's 31st franchise.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Montreal has decided to use this trade deadline to assemble the worst 4th line in hockey.

An d Tampa Bay just traded for Mark Streit, because...

...they forgot they aren't in the playoffs?
    ...three team trade with the penguins since the flyers wouldn't go direct?
    ...the flyers and tampa bay are both somehow sellers on this trade?

Burtletoy wrote: »

Tampa needs the cap space. Filppula is due 5 million next year, and the bolts need to get Johnson, Palat, Drouin all signed. With Filppula on the team they only had 12 million to do it, which wasn't going to get done. With Filppula gone that's an extra $5 million in breathing room.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Deadfall wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Iginla to the kings for a conditional 4th in 2018.

Sounds like it's dependent on whether or not he re-signs there.

Which, pretty much we gave him away for free.

I'm seeing if the Kings miss the playoffs AND/OR he doesn't resign there, the pick goes away. Depending exactly on if its AND or OR it could be even more laughable, since why the fuck would you resign a 39 year old winger coming off his worst season, knowing that putting that pen to paper will cost you a 4th rounder.

The fact that it goes away completely is just insane. I'd expect it to be like a 5th-6th rounder, that then ratchets up if he signs or they make the playoffs. But a 4th rounder that just poofs completely is....what?!?

e: That said I think the deal might make even less sense for LA...so....

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png

Tampa needs the cap space. Filppula is due 5 million next year, and the bolts need to get Johnson, Palat, Drouin all signed. With Filppula on the team they only had 12 million to do it, which wasn't going to get done. With Filppula gone that's an extra $5 million in breathing room.

One other thing that I saw pointed out is that Filppula had a partial NMC, which means he has to be protected in the expansion draft.

So trading him lets them protect 5(instead of 4) of

Nikita Kucherov, Alex Killorn, Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat, Jonathan Drouin, Vladislav Namestnikov and J.T. Brown

Which if you just read that from left to right, the trade makes sense right there.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    A lot of the trades read as "we can't protect these players in the expansion draft so lets trade them for draft picks."

Streit to Pens confirmed

The Streit era in Tampa Bay will be forever remembered.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Stevie Y you crafty bastard.

Sakic is a disaster. Not a single rebuilding trade. He couldn't get like a 5th for Tyutin? For Soderberg? For Wiercoch or Gelinas? He couldn't get any AHL depth to bring up the youngin's? What is he even doing? Nobody wanted Bourque or Beauchemin (if he waived his nmc) for playoff depth?

Preposterous.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Apparently, being good at playing hockey doesn't actually make you a genius at administering or coaching hockey. Who knew?

:so_raven:
    If we win the cup again, the best part would be that the flyers are paying some of our players salary.

Corvus wrote: »
    Apparently, being good at playing hockey doesn't actually make you a genius at administering or coaching hockey. Who knew?

As an oilers fan... oh how I know......

Man just give me emergency powers. Like 24 hours. Everyone who wears a suit in the organization is gone. From Sakic to Tim Army.

And then, like Cincinnatus, I will humbly return to my civilian life.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Sakic dicking around cost the islanders a nice move. Although it seems that all the GMs are hesitant due to the weird draft thing for the GKs

• JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Man just give me emergency powers. Like 24 hours. Everyone who wears a suit in the organization is gone. From Sakic to Tim Army.

And then, like Cincinnatus, I will humbly return to my civilian life.
    Can we start with the Kroenkes? Not that they haven't opened their wallets, but having an owner that gives a damn would help.

Jayricho on

This also applies to broadcasting. Man are some of the former players terrible at it.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Except Yzerman, basically.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.

This also applies to broadcasting. Man are some of the former players terrible at it.

Some are great, some are less great. A lot of them start out really bad and get way better. I hated Ray Ferraro and Louie Debrusk when they first started doing colour but now they're two of my favorites.

Anyone remember Tie Domi's five minute career at TSN? Man was he awful.

edited March 2017

I feel like this is only taking into account players we can remember.

Like. Jim Rutherford was an NHL goalie. I think he's had a few successful years with the Pens. And George McPhee did some good work for the capitals. Hextall is maybe not terrible at his job? Doug Wilson is another pretty successful one. Marc Bergevin, Chuck Flesher, Jim Nill are former players, too.

I mean, yeah, all those guys have some bad moves, and some regrettable contracts, but

I forgot what my point was.

Burtletoy on
    Many of those guys had long management careers before getting to a top position however.McPhee was an excec with the Canucks for years before getting the job with the Caps, for example. In some cases former star players get things handed to them without very much actual management experience or qualifications.

I mean, I think Linden is a club legend here in Vancouver, but other than being a great PR move for the owners, he didn't really have any background to get his President of hockey ops position!

I feel like this is only taking into account players we can remember.
    I was thinking about it more on the superstar player level.

This Hawks-Pens game is just fantastic hockey to watch.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    I can't link it at work, but I just caught the replay of Blake Comeau's breakaway drop pass and it might have been the worst play I've ever seen.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    I can't link it at work, but I just caught the replay of Blake Comeau's breakaway drop pass and it might have been the worst play I've ever seen.

was it the worst play, or was it the worst play?

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    I think I saw this happen in my Division E beer league.

• LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    Except they got a shot on net.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I've seen worse defensive plays because I've watched Michigan hockey the last five years, but that is... real bad.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    I wonder why nobody wanted Comeau at the deadline...

The Jets don't have pavelec as their backup finally?

So I guess they have three below NHL caliber goalies

edited March 2017
    Just read something kind of unsettling. With the exception of Joel Quenneville, every single coach or general manager the Avs have hired has had zero experience (at that position) at the NHL level. Kind of explains a lot.

Jayricho on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Does it though? I mean, Quenneville's most recent tenure here kind of sucked too. I just remember he was kind of run out and immediately went to the Blackhawks who became a damn powerhouse. I was annoyed.

I'd say it does at the GM position at least. The only time the Avs have ever been a contending team was before the salary cap because Lacroix would just sell the farm for whoever he wanted to bring it. Since PL you're looking at Francois Giguere, Eric Lacroix and Greg Sherman, all just having their strings pulled by Pierre who couldn't cut it with a cap and clearly Sakic can't hack it either. He's put together a historically bad team (with Roy's help) that is so bad he can't find anyone to take any expiring UFAs for even the latest of picks.

The Jets don't have pavelec as their backup finally?

So I guess they have three below NHL caliber goalies

Pavelec has a knee injury that required it to be scoped about a week ago. he's out probably for the rest of the season.

Not sure how many of you saw it but the Oilers/Pens game last night was spectacular. It really is a pity we only get McDavid vs Crosby twice a year becuase they both seemed to have an extra gear for the game last night.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    So Calgary has won 10 in a row. This about sums up how I feel as an Oilers fan right now.

cGpMghf.jpg

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth