As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Remembering Bill Paxton

2»

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    jgeis wrote: »

That brings an honest goddamn tear to my eye.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I was just thinking about Edge of Tomorrow (Paxton's performance included) yesterday. Rest in peace.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Judge Wapner has died at age 97

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    bill paxton was in:

boxing helena
    streets of fire
    the dark backward
    the vagrant
    near dark

he was a monumental figure to young me navigating the cult movie scene. just, a fucking stamp of quality for the oddball shit.

the camp counseling true north.

this is without even taking into consideration how much aliens, predator 2, commando, true lies, edge of tomorrow, twister, and frailty are important to me.

this one really fucking hurts the more it sinks in.

fucking

fuck

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Tombstone is fucking great.

tombstone is probably the best of that particular era of westerns

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    I had no idea he was 61. He looked much younger

61 is not that old though

Didn't say it was?

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Goose! wrote: »
    I should watch Tombstone. I've only ever watched the Kevin Costner Earp movie and that was okay.

The Costner version is like... the low rent version of Tombstone

which is really saying something because as good as it is, Tombstone is a hella budget movie

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I should have gone more into his smaller movies in the OP. He was in a lot of great ones.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    I saw a simple plan when I was 12 and it really influenced a lot of the weird shit I'm into these days

Might have been the first "no happy endings" movie I'd ever seen

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Oh god he's so so good in A Simple Plan.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    He just always seemed like a genuine guy who knew how to not take himself too seriously and make fun of himself.

I always respect a person who can do that

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Well, shit.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Apparently he was also in (and directed) the video for that "Fish Heads" song. Never realized that until he died, sadly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-K2DZojWi0

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I really had no idea how happy and well-adjusted I was until I found out there was a video for that fucking song. Thanks, SteevL!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    this thread made me buy three paxton movies i was missing: the last supper, haywire, and next of kin

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    The Last Supper is one of my favorite underrated movies.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    If anyone in this thread hasn't seen Near Dark, this is the perfect time to rectify that mistake.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Good. There is a thread on this. I brought it up in chat and no one said anything.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Houk wrote: »
    I JUST listened to his interview with Mark Maron. Goddammit!

Speaking of which, everyone listen to his interview. He was a super chill, extremely interesting person!

I just listened to this last week. Was kind of taken aback by how fascinating it was.

Sorry Bill -- I had underestimated you. You were a hard working dude that made some pretty good movies and had some great stories to tell. You'll be missed.

Yeah. Maron has this certain knack for interviewing people just before they die.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Paxton died so close to air that they probably didn't have time to add him to the memorial montage for the Oscars tonight, huh?

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Paxton died so close to air that they probably didn't have time to add him to the memorial montage for the Oscars tonight, huh?

Might have been a total coincidence but there was a Rolex commercial with a bunch of movie clips including him in titanic.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    James Cameron on his passing
    "I've been reeling from this for the past half hour, trying to wrap my mind and heart around it. Bill leaves such a void. He and I were close friends for 36 years, since we met on the set of a Roger Corman ultra-low budget movie. He came in to work on set, and I slapped a paint brush in his hand and pointed to a wall, saying "Paint that!" We quickly recognized the creative spark in each other and became fast friends. What followed was 36 years of making films together, helping develop each others' projects, going on scuba diving trips together, watching each others kids growing up, even diving the Titanic wreck together in Russian subs. It was a friendship of laughter, adventure, love of cinema, and mutual respect. Bill wrote beautiful heartfelt and thoughtful letters, an anachronism in this age of digital shorthand. He took good care of his relationships with people, always caring and present for others. He was a good man, a great actor, and a creative dynamo. I hope that amid the gaudy din of Oscar night, people will take a moment to remember this wonderful man, not just for all the hours of joy he brought to us with his vivid screen presence, but for the great human that he was. The world is a lesser place for his passing, and I will profoundly miss him."

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    So I decided to watch True Lies for the first time in forever tonight in my Paxton tribute.

This... this is not the movie I remembered it being. The fun parts are still there but the main plot of Harry being a complete asshole to his wife just drags the whole thing down

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Great anecdote from Conan about Bill Paxton

https://youtu.be/XDWOQXgJwW4

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    So I decided to watch True Lies for the first time in forever tonight in my Paxton tribute.

This... this is not the movie I remembered it being. The fun parts are still there but the main plot of Harry being a complete asshole to his wife just drags the whole thing down

That scene on the construction crane always makes me break into a fear-sweat.