As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] RPS Phalla - Game Over.

MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
edited March 2017 in Critical Failures
RPS Phalla
Set Phalla Vol. 4

A MrBlarney Abomination

RPS Phalla is an abstract strategic mini-Phalla game focused around a classic game of prediction, Rock Paper Scissors. That's all there is to say about that.

Genre: Multi-Dimensional Factional; RPS

Player Roles

Each player is assigned the role of a card, each of which has a picture containing a set of three features:

- Number (one, two, or three)
- Color (red, blue, or green)
- Shape (triangle, square, or circle)

The cards:
1rt.gif1rs.gif1rc.gif1bt.gif1bs.gif1bc.gif1gt.gif1gs.gif1gc.gif
2rt.gif2rs.gif2rc.gif2bt.gif2bs.gif2bc.gif2gt.gif2gs.gif2gc.gif
3rt.gif3rs.gif3rc.gif3bt.gif3bs.gif3bc.gif3gt.gif3gs.gif3gc.gif

Each card is unique, and all possible combinations are represented; therefore, there will be 27 cards and players.

Rock Paper Scissors - Game Mechanics

Rock Paper Scissors is a two-player game usually played through the use of hand gestures. In the game, players simultaneously reveal one of three hand gestures: Rock (a balled fist), Paper (open hand with fingers straight forward), or Scissors (fist with index and middle fingers extended in a V shape). The comparison of these gestures determines the winner of the game: Rock beats Scissors, Paper beats Rock, and Scissors beats Paper. Matching symbols result in a drawn game.

In this game, players will compete against all others using chips symbolizing the three hand gestures. At the start of the game, each player will start with nine chips of each symbol: Rock, Paper, and Scissors. Each game day, each player will play Rock Paper Scissors with all other players, entering their orders via a Google Form linked in each day's results. On the form, players will need to type in their username and a specific code name given in their role PM and, for each other player, which chip they will play in each matchup. If a player leaves a matchup blank, then they will play a random chip from their collection. If a player assigns more chips of a type than they have, then overage assignments will be randomly replaced until the chip distribution is valid. In addition, at the end of the form, players will be allowed to specify which other player they wish to eliminate (if any) and may specify the use of any special abilities. Players may submit the form multiple times; only the last submission made before the vote close will count.

For every win a player takes, they score three points. Every drawn matchup earns one point. Once all matches have been resolved, each player's score across matches for that day are tallied into a total score. Scores from previous days are not counted. The player who receives the lowest score will be eliminated from the game. In the case of a tie for lowest score, then the player who made the latest submission will be eliminated. In addition, the player who receives the highest score will have the player specified on their form submission eliminated from the game. In the case of a tie for highest score, then the player who made the earliest submission will get their choice.

After players are eliminated, chips are traded between the remaining players according to what was played in each matchup. For example, if you play a Rock chip in a matchup, that player will then receive the Rock chip to use the next day, and you will receive the chip they played against you. Note that the chip you play against yourself will simply remain in your stock and count as a single drawn matchup.

Game days 1 and 2 will eliminate the two players with the lowest scores and enact the choices of the players with the two highest scores. After that, only the single highest and single lowest scores will be followed as described above. This rule has been removed due to the number of signups being lower than maximum.

Daily Vote

Each game day, all players also get a vote on who to eliminate from the game directly, indicating that player's name in bold red, posting "!vote for <player name>" or similar phrase. You may retract a vote by posting "!retract vote for <player name>" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or change your vote by making another one in bold red. Do not, under any circumstance, edit a post that has a vote. If an edit is necessary, make a new post instead. At the end of each game day, the player receiving the most votes will be eliminated; in the case of a tie between two or more players, the player who reached the tied value first will be eliminated.

Voting will normally close each day at 9PM PDT / 12AM EDT / 4AM UTC; any actions before the hour (x:59) will count, any actions on the hour and later (x:00) will not. However, if a player votes within five minutes of the vote close, the close time will extend to five minutes after that player votes. All votes and actions will count up to the new, revised close time. Each player may make only one vote and one action after the normal vote close: any further revisions will not count. The close time can be extended multiple times if different players make revisions during the bonus period.

Example: If I vote at x:58, then the vote close will be extended such that actions made at x:03 of the next hour or earlier will count; actions made at x:04 or later will not. If someone makes a vote before x:03, the vote close will be extended to five minutes after their vote; I can make only one change in vote and action during the whole extended period.

For the purposes of action order, eliminations due to lowest score are resolved first, followed by highest score choice, and finally vote judgment.

Special Abilities

Each player has three one-time abilities they may use. Ability 1: Select a chip type. You will learn who gave you your chips of that type for that day's matchups. Ability 2: Select a chip type. All of your chips of that type change into whatever types you like. You must still assign at least as many chips of the two other types that you did not choose for that day's matchups. Ability 3: Your vote is worth two votes for the day. Use of a special ability may be specified on the daily Google Form; only one ability may be used each day.

Daily Information

Information revealed about players after their elminations will be limited. You will not be told their individual cards or their total score from the day's matches. What you will be told is the collected distribution of attributes among those eliminated, i.e. how many reds, blues, and greens were eliminated, etc. Privately, each player will receive their total score summed over all matchups and their new chip distribution. However, you will not learn the result of any individual matchup. If any chips had to be randomly assigned, a player will learn that it happened, but not what was randomized.

Win Conditions

Every player has four different win conditions; only one needs to be satisfied to claim victory:

- All remaining players share the same number.
- All remaining players share the same color.
- All remaining players share the same shape.
- All remaining players share no common number, color, or shape between any of them.

What this means is that you can win with any other player in the game, though it may be harder to win with some players than others. It also means that you can't trust anyone completely since they also have objectives that won't include you being around to celebrate. Any two players may win together; it is not the case that any three players may win together.

Signing Up

Sign up with the phrase "I !sign up" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or other bright, easily visible color to ensure that your intent to play is acknowledged. This game has a maximum player limit of 27.

Inactivity

It is expected that players vote and submit their RPS choices each day to be considered sufficiently active. A warning will be sent on the first day that this requirement is not met, and a replacement will be made on the second consecutive day of inactivity or third day of inactivity overall. If there are no replacements available, then the player will be eliminated from the game.

Clarifications

Any questions about the general game rules may be made by highlighting the question in bold darkorange text. Answers will be posted in the thread and collected in the below section. Player-specific inquiries that are not addressed in the general rules may be asked via PM. Please note that there may be mechanics or details which will not be answered and kept hidden until the end of the game.

Other Rules

Standard Phalla rules apply: no sharing of host-provided PMs via screenshots and direct quotation. However, information may be shared indirectly, such as through rephrasing. No anonymous contact is allowed. All messages must be traceable to a player in the game.

If any players create "proboards" for private communication, please send a link for it to the host.

Player List

Eliminated Round 1
Ardor
Baidol
Zombie Hero

Elimnated Round 2
AustinP0027
corvidae
Phyphor

Eliminated Round 3
JusticeforPluto - Inactivity
kime
MrTLicious
Virgil_Leads_You

Eliminated Round 4
Gizzy
Sir Fabulous

Eliminated Round 5
Cythraul
Grunt's Ghosts
H3Knuckles
Mikey CTS - Inactivity

Eliminated Round 6
Brody
LostNinja
premium - Inactivity

Victorious Players (Three Victory)
Assuran
discrider
MagicPrime
Preda

This game had a maximum player limit of 27, of which 23 slots were filled.

Game Links

Start of Round 1
Start of Round 2
Start of Round 3
Start of Round 4
Start of Round 5
Start of Round 6
Final Post - includes Master Spreadsheet and Host Notes

4463rwiq7r47.png
MrBlarney on

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    A MrBlarney Abomination

yes please

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I haven't read the OP yet.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    One Green Circle

edited March 2017
    If we deliberately throw a random gesture, will we be told what the result of our throw was?

discrider on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    If we deliberately throw a random gesture, will we be told what the result of our throw was?
    No.

Also, Revision! I realized Ability 1 was lame, so I updated it. Ability 3 is still kind of lame, but that's out of necessity.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Three red squares

I think you want draws to be worth 2 points, but I'm not the boss of you or anything.

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I'll sign up even though it looks like I can't just play rock at everyone all the time

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Why not just play Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock?

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Would you like to play a game?

discrider wrote: »
    I think you want draws to be worth 2 points, but I'm not the boss of you or anything.
    You don't know what I want! This is something that can be discussed after the game.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yellow Rhombus

I only read the first three or four lines, so I have no idea whats going on, but it sounds exciting.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I have no idea what is happening in here.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Yup

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm ready for some Rock Paper Scissors

This game looks rad.

Basically

each player will start with nine chips of each symbol: Rock, Paper, and Scissors.

Each day, each player will play Rock Paper Scissors with all other players,

Via the form, players will type
    their username and a player codename

and leave a ROCK, PAPER, OR SCISSORS, against the player list
    or leave a blank against a player, to essentially play a random chip from your collection.

Every winning matchup , scores three points.
    Every draw earns one point.

Lowest amount of points won, each night, is removed from the game
    High amounts of points won, gets a free kill.
    (looks like both of these applies to 2 players on the first couple of days)

Chips you send in matchups, will be go into their opponent's inventory, and vis versa.

There's special abilities to seer or change these Rock Paper Scissors, tokens.

You can win via making a team with a variety of surviving players.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    This is like a crazy RPS tournament. I'm psyched!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Let's spice things up

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    If you want to watch the most dramatic rock paper scissors, check out this korean game show called "The Genius"

Gizzy

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    I haven't read the OP!

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
    Paper!

VayBJ4e.png
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    PASTE!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Brody wrote: »
    PASTE!

Um... uh...

Fire!

VayBJ4e.png
  • corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    fireman!

(i hope once monday officially rolls around we get an influx of ppl.....)

Yep. Still need twelve people to complete the signups for the game. I ended up playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for half of the weekend (by real-time terms) so I was distracted too, but I'd also like to get this game going at some point!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    What the hell, I'll have no idea what I'm doing, but I'll give it a shot.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    What the hell, I'll have no idea what I'm doing, but I'll give it a shot.

The winning strategy here is to submit a blank form to MrBlarney each day, so don't worry too much.

Hmm, haven't had a post in here for a couple days and there's still eleven slots to fill. Not really sure what to do yet, but I'll think on it today. But if the game could be filled, that'd be the best option...

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    sign

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    sure why not

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    I'm a rock!

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
    Blarney, doesn't hurt to put another post in the CF Phalla Signup thread reminding people. For people that browse bookmarks (and not CF itself), that's such a low-traffic thread that sometimes if you don't check the forums for a day or whatever it's already off the first page of your bookmarks. I've missed games due to that in the past.

Steam profile
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    @kime I've seriously considered taking the Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm threads off my bookmarks because they're like 90% of the notifications I get.

I kind of wish notifications worked sort of like how a lot of e-mail clients group your inbox into 'conversations'. Like, it'd show the latest update to each thread you have on bookmark, with the threads sorted in order of last update, and then you could expand the notice for a given thread to see all the notifications it's gotten since you last checked in.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    @kime I've seriously considered taking the Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm threads off my bookmarks because they're like 90% of the notifications I get.

I kind of wish notifications worked sort of like how a lot of e-mail clients group your inbox into 'conversations'. Like, it'd show the latest update to each thread you have on bookmark, with the threads sorted in order of last update, and then you could expand the notice for a given thread to see all the notifications it's gotten since you last checked in.

errr....

Do you not just browse http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussions/bookmarked ?

Steam profile
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Hmm I did not do so well in a previous incarnation of this game but what the hell

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Sure

kime wrote: »
    I've seriously considered taking the Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm threads off my bookmarks because they're like 90% of the notifications I get.

errr....

Do you not just browse http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussions/bookmarked ?

Already responded to this in the other thread, but in case anyone else reading is curious; because I'm dumb and never clicked the star to see that page existed. :P

camo_sig2-400.png
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    It appears sign ups went on long enough that I can now play.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I finally read the OP.
    Rock beats Scissors, Paper beats Rock, and Scissors beats Rock.

Those are some tough scissors.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957