As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [chat]stable

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Bee Movie is bad and horrible

Getting honey from hives kills bees and many commercial beekeepers and honey producers are effectively as bad as factory farmers.

Smaller, local apiaries are better, but there is still bee death

Those external flow honey collecting things are a pain to clean and don't work very long, and you're still taking the bee's winter food

I can see why vegans avoid honey, even if I didn't as a vegan

I plan to keep bees.

I want honey and the world needs bees to pollinate so I figured it's a win/win.

I mean how do you get honey without killing bees?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Mindfulness is hard : (

I am a bit of a guru on the subject, although I'm far from a perfect practitioner myself.

But if you're having specific challenges or you have particular questions, I may be of assistance!

Rockets, sports, cooking, and mental health. I am not without my specialties. :)

There are no challenges that really need help, it's just annoying to forget to be mindful.

I have post-it notes and stickers. Completely serious.

On my computer, in my notebooks, anything I see / use regularly (all over my room and Nargirl's room).

I have no memory, so notes and lists and reminders to myself are imperative.

Apparently I'm supposed to visit my mom this weekend! Thankfully Nargirl remembers this stuff, because I don't plan more than 4 hours ahead at any given time.

I'm pretty excited about lunch.

I also have a post it note

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Jk jk

Last night I spent 7 hours assembling most of the IKEA furniture we got on our last trip only to find out the mattress we have doesn't actually fit the bed that well so we need a new one

Luckily I've got DINK money rn but it's still annoying cause I've got to fly to the Carolinas for a wedding next month and two plane tickets are expensive

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I'll just drinking coffee till I vomit blood
    that makes me happy

I, too, remain unsatisified with coffee until my bloodstream has been replaced with caffeine

Ludious wrote: »
    But bees are borg. As long as the hive goes on you aren't doing harm. THEYRE ROBOTS, ARCH

This metaphor pains me

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    oh weird that open bathroom room is the one next to the kitchen

this is some sort of den of iniquity

i must set up a walkthrough for this weekend

Allegedly a voice of reason.

Getting honey from hives kills bees and many commercial beekeepers and honey producers are effectively as bad as factory farmers.

Those external flow honey collecting things are a pain to clean and don't work very long, and you're still taking the bee's winter food

I plan to keep bees.

Look man I eat honey and spent weeks each year helping the Entomology department harvest their honey I'm just saying that I can see why vegans might not be down

Idgaf what you do, but collecting honey necessarily invokes bee death

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

I am a bit of a guru on the subject, although I'm far from a perfect practitioner myself.

But if you're having specific challenges or you have particular questions, I may be of assistance!

Rockets, sports, cooking, and mental health. I am not without my specialties. :)

There are no challenges that really need help, it's just annoying to forget to be mindful.

I have post-it notes and stickers. Completely serious.

On my computer, in my notebooks, anything I see / use regularly (all over my room and Nargirl's room).

I have no memory, so notes and lists and reminders to myself are imperative.

Apparently I'm supposed to visit my mom this weekend! Thankfully Nargirl remembers this stuff, because I don't plan more than 4 hours ahead at any given time.

I'm pretty excited about lunch.

the more things i offload to external systems like calendars and task systems and paper the better my brain is

the problem is that that is a process that takes work and i often don't keep up with it

poo
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Facebook is terrible. I am using it a bit to communicate with the small progressive group I found here in MS I find the interface abhorrent.

Twitter is addictive. I'm taking a break from news after the media decided to take trump back like an abusive stepdad because he behaved for an hour. It's hard not loading up twitter.

Because when something happens, you instantly know on twitter. By the time a news site has a headline that shit is old news.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    oh weird that open bathroom room is the one next to the kitchen

this is some sort of den of iniquity

i must set up a walkthrough for this weekend

please take pictures

please

pleeeeeeeease

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Wie made coffee before she left. I can smell it and I want it. But there is a cat on my lap rn and the coffee is far away :(

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Paying attention to things while simultaneously not caring?

I've actually been trying to do mindfulness meditation where you let thoughts come through your head and then just sort of detach and examine the thoughts as thoughts and it makes no fucking sense how this is supposed to work.

much much much repetition and practice
    guided meditation helps

is interesting to have tried acid after having practiced meditation a lot because you're like oh that's that state, that makes sense

I've done acid previously, but not post.

Hmmm.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Wie made coffee before she left. I can smell it and I want it. But there is a cat on my lap rn and the coffee is far away :(

You are already dead.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

I plan to keep bees.

Look man I eat honey and spent weeks each year helping the Entomology department harvest their honey I'm just saying that I can see why vegans might not be down

yeah I didn't mean that like "oh pls arch tell me how to do it WITHOUT killing bees" (this is one of those I typed something so it doesn't read right moments)

I was genuinely asking your opinion on the most humane way to keep bees if you want honey, with the least death, and also get them to help pollinate.

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

yeah from a vegan standpoint it makes total sense.

the only vegan thing I never really got was their stance against wool, though I suppose it is still keeping animals for their products.

Arch have you considered that bees live in fascist matriarchies and execute the drunk

(I don't actually know if that last bit is true because ~science reporting~)

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    i was gonna photoshop a narwal onto the Memento picture but I'm lazy and at work

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Teleworking on Thursday is weird. I have a teleconference at 10:30 as one of my cool coworkers just came back today from maternity leave. Normally I would be there but I had to go in on Monday because of a dumb all hands.

Need to call my investing folks because they did my 1099-R wrong it seems from my withdraw. So I can finish my damn taxes. Stupid complications.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Julius wrote: »

the only vegan thing I never really got was their stance against wool, though I suppose it is still keeping animals for their products.

I don't think "vegan stance" is really a thing, though obviously you can find areas of mass agreement. I think there are clusters of behaviors.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Chat is the worst drug

Pretty sure that honor goes to meth...I just don't get that drug.

I plan to keep bees.

yeah I didn't mean that like "oh pls arch tell me how to do it WITHOUT killing bees" (this is one of those I typed something so it doesn't read right moments)

I was genuinely asking your opinion on the most humane way to keep bees if you want honey, with the least death, and also get them to help pollinate.

I mean, the normal hive setup is probable the best you'll do, you just have to go slowly and carefully when removing frames, uncapping the comb, and doing the extractions. Most deaths happen when they get crushed as you put frames back or they drown in the honey you extracted

so how long until we make those Bee Drones fro Black Mirror

I learned a crazy bee fact recently: termites are most closely related to cockroaches and mantises.

Ok, I learned a crazy termite fact that implies a crazy bee fact.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I don't think "vegan stance" is really a thing, though obviously you can find areas of mass agreement. I think there are clusters of behaviors.

I have not had good interactions with vegans, especially in my time in Tempe.

I know it's a prejudiced viewpoint (especially since I've met and am friends with a lot of vegans now), but damn man getting a hamburger smacked out of your hand in a public place really kinda makes you dickish towards the entire idea in general.

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I'll just drinking coffee till I vomit blood
    that makes me happy

Still haven't been approached by the Red Lanterns?

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The Vegan Stance is how one must contort to take their first poop after completely embracing the vegan lifestyle.

VRXwDW7.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

I plan to keep bees.

I mean, the normal hive setup is probable the best you'll do, you just have to go slowly and carefully when removing frames, uncapping the comb, and doing the extractions. Most deaths happen when they get crushed as you put frames back or they drown in the honey you extracted

There are worse ways to go than drowning in honey.

21stCentury on
    Sleep wrote: »
    Chat is the worst drug

meth heads probably talk less about tipping and circumcision at very least

Also if you're concerned about pollination it's important to realize that honey bees only really pollinate our CROPS, and aren't necessary for a functional North American ecosystem. There are legions of other bees that pollinate native plants, along with other insects, and the better way to keep that going is to increase planting of native flora

Ofc if you are doing small scale agriculture then yeah bees are great because all our food crops are imported just like honey bees

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Given what I've heard about Facebook, Twitter, and the comments on news articles

I worry about any of you that willingly engage with these things

They sound like insanity chambers

And this is coming from an insane person

Chat is the worst drug

Motor mouth is a thing for simulants

Also if you're concerned about pollination it's important to realize that honey bees only really pollinate our CROPS, and aren't necessary for a functional North American ecosystem. There are legions of other bees that pollinate native plants, along with other insects, and the better way to keep that going is to increase planting of native flora

Ofc if you are doing small scale agriculture then yeah bees are great because all our food crops are imported just like honey bees

alright arch when I get my compound set up you can be my bug guy.

you take care of my bugs.

Chat is the worst drug

Motor mouth is a thing for simulants

I took adderall for the first time in forever the other day and couldn't shut up.

I have not had good interactions with vegans, especially in my time in Tempe.

I know it's a prejudiced viewpoint (especially since I've met and am friends with a lot of vegans now), but damn man getting a hamburger smacked out of your hand in a public place really kinda makes you dickish towards the entire idea in general.

I've never had something like this happen to me or anyone I know but I can say with a straight and honest face that if someone ever knocked a burger out of my hand I'd give them the option of paying for it or I'd punch them in the face. Their choice.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    i was gonna photoshop a narwal onto the Memento picture but I'm lazy and at work

It got about that bad once

And then I realized that was a problem itself, so, y'know

Moderation in everything, as they say

"Girl in bed next to you is friendly. Do not be afraid. She responds positively to affection."

*nods slowly*

But can I trust this post-it note?

"Girl in bed next to you is friendly. Do not be afraid. She responds positively to affection."

*nods slowly*

with Nangirl that sounds like misleading information

I learned a crazy bee fact recently: termites are most closely related to cockroaches and mantises.

Shive

In most modern taxonomy, termites ARE cockroaches. Isoptera doesn't exist, functionally anymore.

I asked one of the foremost experts of my generation on cockroach taxonomy the following question at the international meeting: " Listen, man, is there any evidence at all that we can recover isoptera, or is Misof off their rocker?" And dude was like "you're really gonna have to get over that one. Isoptera is dead and it isn't coming back."

Like if u crie every tiem

*nods slowly*

AHH HOLY SHIT WHY IS SOMEONE NEXT TO M-oh right I've been dating her for a year.

Given what I've heard about Facebook, Twitter, and the comments on news articles

I worry about any of you that willingly engage with these things

They sound like insanity chambers

And this is coming from an insane person

Ooh they are definitely insanity chambers.

But if you take your time and really try to parse shit without letting it make you totally crazy you can get a weird Eldritch knowledge from it.

It's almost Lovecraftian in effect.

Shive

In most modern taxonomy, termites ARE cockroaches. Isoptera doesn't exist, functionally anymore.

I asked one of the foremost experts of my generation on cockroach taxonomy the following question at the international meeting: " Listen, man, is there any evidence at all that we can recover isoptera, or is Misof off their rocker?" And dude was like "you're really gonna have to get over that one. Isoptera is dead and it isn't coming back."

Like if u crie every tiem

I AM USING COMMON TERMS FOR ALL BUGS OK

This discussion has been closed.