As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [chat]stable

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Also if you're concerned about pollination it's important to realize that honey bees only really pollinate our CROPS, and aren't necessary for a functional North American ecosystem. There are legions of other bees that pollinate native plants, along with other insects, and the better way to keep that going is to increase planting of native flora

Ofc if you are doing small scale agriculture then yeah bees are great because all our food crops are imported just like honey bees

alright arch when I get my compound set up you can be my bug guy.

you take care of my bugs.

I mean this is already my job in the real world so sure I'm on board

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I learned a crazy bee fact recently: termites are most closely related to cockroaches and mantises.

Ok, I learned a crazy termite fact that implies a crazy bee fact.

Shive

In most modern taxonomy, termites ARE cockroaches. Isoptera doesn't exist, functionally anymore.

I asked one of the foremost experts of my generation on cockroach taxonomy the following question at the international meeting: " Listen, man, is there any evidence at all that we can recover isoptera, or is Misof off their rocker?" And dude was like "you're really gonna have to get over that one. Isoptera is dead and it isn't coming back."

Like if u crie every tiem

I AM USING COMMON TERMS FOR ALL BUGS OK

#notallbugs

are YOU on the beer list?
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    wHkiVB6.jpg

FPS 20/30

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Chat is the worst drug

Pretty sure that honor goes to meth...I just don't get that drug.

meth heads probably talk less about tipping and circumcision at very least

Motor mouth is a thing for simulants

I took adderall for the first time in forever the other day and couldn't shut up.

I had to quit adderrall after college.

Staying up for 80 hours straight is bad for you.

On the plus side I can drink a double shot of espresso and go straight to sleep because that shit is weak.

I learned a crazy bee fact recently: termites are most closely related to cockroaches and mantises.

Shive

In most modern taxonomy, termites ARE cockroaches. Isoptera doesn't exist, functionally anymore.

I asked one of the foremost experts of my generation on cockroach taxonomy the following question at the international meeting: " Listen, man, is there any evidence at all that we can recover isoptera, or is Misof off their rocker?" And dude was like "you're really gonna have to get over that one. Isoptera is dead and it isn't coming back."

BUT ITS MORE ACCURATE TO SAY THAT TERMITRS SRE COCKROACHES AND COCKROACHES ARE SUPER CLOSELY RELATED TO MANTIDS

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    i was gonna photoshop a narwal onto the Memento picture but I'm lazy and at work

It got about that bad once

And then I realized that was a problem itself, so, y'know

Moderation in everything, as they say

"Girl in bed next to you is friendly. Do not be afraid. She responds positively to affection."

*nods slowly*

But can I trust this post-it note?

with Nangirl that sounds like misleading information

Right? "Do not be afraid" is just willfully endangering myself! :P

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    But also I clearly am saying that Periplaneta americana is more closely related to any termite species than the termites are to any hymenopteran :P

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    Bee Movie is bad and horrible

Getting honey from hives kills bees and many commercial beekeepers and honey producers are effectively as bad as factory farmers.

Smaller, local apiaries are better, but there is still bee death

Those external flow honey collecting things are a pain to clean and don't work very long, and you're still taking the bee's winter food

I can see why vegans avoid honey, even if I didn't as a vegan

yeah from a vegan standpoint it makes total sense.

the only vegan thing I never really got was their stance against wool, though I suppose it is still keeping animals for their products.

I don't think "vegan stance" is really a thing, though obviously you can find areas of mass agreement. I think there are clusters of behaviors.

I have not had good interactions with vegans, especially in my time in Tempe.

I know it's a prejudiced viewpoint (especially since I've met and am friends with a lot of vegans now), but damn man getting a hamburger smacked out of your hand in a public place really kinda makes you dickish towards the entire idea in general.

I've never had something like this happen to me or anyone I know but I can say with a straight and honest face that if someone ever knocked a burger out of my hand I'd give them the option of paying for it or I'd punch them in the face. Their choice.

It's never happened again and was one of the most shocking social moments of my life.

Right outside the Fatburger on Mill Ave.

I used to have a real hate boner for vegans, but it's subsided as I've aged and realized (at least somewhat) that I shouldn't let that interaction with 1 asshole ruin a good source of healthy food ideas and sour potential relationships with good people.

But man... I still get pissed thinking about it.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I tried to type "crocodile" on touchscreen and managed "ceocosileha". That sounds like a sorcerer or space-pope.

Termites=cockroaches which is, itself, a fucking weird thing that I'm not okay with

And then cockroaches are basically preying mantises which is also weird

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Greetings fellow motorists

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Chat is the worst drug

I took adderall for the first time in forever the other day and couldn't shut up.

On the plus side I can drink a double shot of espresso and go straight to sleep because that shit is weak.

I mean I also got a lot of shit done. And do not have problems with abuse or weird affects. I just also talked a lot.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Someone give me their Switch and this Zelda game

Shive

BUT ITS MORE ACCURATE TO SAY THAT TERMITRS SRE COCKROACHES AND COCKROACHES ARE SUPER CLOSELY RELATED TO MANTIDS

I AM NOTHING IF NOT PEDANTIC, I ACCEPT THIS CORRECTION THOUGH IT'S SUPER WEIRD TO THINK ABOUT

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Fuck you, EasyAllies

You're not fuckin' special

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I have had such a huge nerd rager the past few days knowing Friday is all the closer.

Also if you're concerned about pollination it's important to realize that honey bees only really pollinate our CROPS, and aren't necessary for a functional North American ecosystem. There are legions of other bees that pollinate native plants, along with other insects, and the better way to keep that going is to increase planting of native flora

Ofc if you are doing small scale agriculture then yeah bees are great because all our food crops are imported just like honey bees

alright arch when I get my compound set up you can be my bug guy.

you take care of my bugs.

That's like, actually a super useful thing.

Shit, I need to figure out something useful to do at the compound don't I?

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

tell us about your new wheels

But also I clearly am saying that Periplaneta americana is more closely related to any termite species than the termites are to any hymenopteran :P

Clearly, she says.

Termites=cockroaches which is, itself, a fucking weird thing that I'm not okay with

The guy I TA for, who's a mantis scientist, introduced the difference as "Mantises are... basically predatory cockroaches."

What's weird is that we are like HYMENOPTERA IS KING OF EUSOCISLITY but like it is a trait that evolved multiple times independently in the order, and it also shows up in blattodea and hemiptera and it's all independent origins and it's like wtf is happan

BeNarwhal wrote: »

Clearly, she says.

Clearly.

Getting honey from hives kills bees and many commercial beekeepers and honey producers are effectively as bad as factory farmers.

Those external flow honey collecting things are a pain to clean and don't work very long, and you're still taking the bee's winter food

the only vegan thing I never really got was their stance against wool, though I suppose it is still keeping animals for their products.

I don't think "vegan stance" is really a thing, though obviously you can find areas of mass agreement. I think there are clusters of behaviors.

I know it's a prejudiced viewpoint (especially since I've met and am friends with a lot of vegans now), but damn man getting a hamburger smacked out of your hand in a public place really kinda makes you dickish towards the entire idea in general.

I've never had something like this happen to me or anyone I know but I can say with a straight and honest face that if someone ever knocked a burger out of my hand I'd give them the option of paying for it or I'd punch them in the face. Their choice.

It's never happened again and was one of the most shocking social moments of my life.

I used to have a real hate boner for vegans, but it's subsided as I've aged and realized (at least somewhat) that I shouldn't let that interaction with 1 asshole ruin a good source of healthy food ideas and sour potential relationships with good people.

This is what we call righteous anger

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Periplaneta is obviously the best planeta.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Like even if I personally wind up disliking a piece of media, if I see universal acclaim for it, I get real salty when people bash it (I know EasyAllies didn't do that I was making a joke there)

Like that one dude who released a late Get Out review to ruin its 100%

You're a fuckin' toolbag

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Bugs skeve me out

This is what we call righteous anger

Me being an asshole or them being an asshole?

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    When I'm more confident in my abilities, I'll try making Gijinka based on medicine.

The guy I TA for, who's a mantis scientist, introduced the difference as "Mantises are... basically predatory cockroaches."

It's a true fact. And then there are some predatory cockroaches anyway and you're like "nature plz"

What's weird is that we are like HYMENOPTERA IS KING OF EUSOCISLITY but like it is a trait that evolved multiple times independently in the order, and it also shows up in blattodea and hemiptera and it's all independent origins and it's like wtf is happan

Right, that's the weird thing. Though I didn't know about eusocial hemipterans, I just knew about blattodea..ds? and hymenopterans. And also Heterocephalids.

(Ok, had to look that last one up.)

desc wrote: »

I've had my driver's license since I was 17

But I haven't had my own car since I was, like, 21

And now, combined with my sobriety, I frequently find myself in a situation where people are like "Okay, who can drive?"

And I'm like "oh I guess I can I just, um, haven't done it in a while, but yeah I can totally do that according to the government. Like it's totally legal for me to do so, I just don't think about it much.

How do make cars go again?"

Periplaneta is obviously the best planeta.

I'm a fan.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Ludious wrote: »
    Like even if I personally wind up disliking a piece of media, if I see universal acclaim for it, I get real salty when people bash it (I know EasyAllies didn't do that I was making a joke there)

Like that one dude who released a late Get Out review to ruin its 100%

You're a fuckin' toolbag

Was it Armond White?

edit: yes yes it was

nexuscrawler on

Right, that's the weird thing. Though I didn't know about eusocial hemipterans, I just knew about blattodea..ds? and hymenopterans. And also Heterocephalids.

(Ok, had to look that last one up.)

It's some aphid species that do it. They make galls and protect the galls.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

Doesn't that mean you've had good interactions with vegans, especially right now?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    I can already tell today is gonna be a long day.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I love Fleet Admiral Shala'Raan vas Tonbay in the Expanse even if it's weird seeing her without the quarian environment suit, tho she is rocking that sari

spoilers for episode 6:
    I loved her speech about the government only being weaker than corporations because most public servants are in it for a cushy private sector gig down the line, but she isn't, which is why she's dangerous

override367 on
    Chat is the worst drug

I mean I also got a lot of shit done. And do not have problems with abuse or weird affects. I just also talked a lot.

Yeah it was rough having to give up getting shit done.

It's a pretty big turn off for most employers eventually.

It's a true fact. And then there are some predatory cockroaches anyway and you're like "nature plz"

The emerald wasp turns a cockroach into a drone zombie and is eaten from the inside out by the wasps larvae, correct?

Because if so that's amazing.

This discussion has been closed.