As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tales of] Your Mom - Best Dog Is Back

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I liked Zestiria a bunch.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Beat the game last night, surprisingly good ending
    I like how Velvet didn't get away with everything she's done. Stuck in a permanent feeding loop with Innominat kind of seemed fitting, and those drawings during the end credits seemed to imply she and Laphi were in some kind of heaven world exploring like he always wanted to. Artorious was even with Celica and his son was born. Unless that was just like a "what could've been" thing...

I don't understand why the pirate crew could no longer see Eizen, though. I thought killing Innominat would've cause that, but they didn't actually kill him.

The cutscene before the final boss battle was super fucking cool too. Showed just how awesome each individual character is, and how badass of a team they are.

So now I'm mopping up sidequests and stuff. I take it getting a character to level 200 is meant to be done through multiple NG+ sessions? I'm in some post-game dungeon now that's giving out decent XP, but I'm only like... 63 or 64. That trophy is going ot take a while to get I think. Also, I remember someone mentioning that grade was some kind of post game currency? Where do you spend that? Tales Coins too, what are those for?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Alright I've found the one thing I'm not a fan of.

The game is SERIOUSLY lacking in weapon models. Like weirdly so.

And the last weapons don't even have unique models? How hard would it have been to make one extra model for each character?

Extra weird because Tales games normally have rad final weapons for the regular game along with the rad fallen arms or whatever that don't unlock until NG+ and then another set of final final weapons from the hidden dungeon.

But this game is giving me garbo. Disappointing.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I really want to grab Zesteria when I can afford to get it on sale because I need to give it a shot. Legendia was pretty much universally hated and I pushed my way through that one (though not the monotonous epilogue stuff which was just forcing you to go through all the old dungeons again). Then play Berseria.

However as soon as I fix my PS3 I need to finish graces and actually play Xillia.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    So now I'm mopping up sidequests and stuff. I take it getting a character to level 200 is meant to be done through multiple NG+ sessions? I'm in some post-game dungeon now that's giving out decent XP, but I'm only like... 63 or 64. That trophy is going ot take a while to get I think. Also, I remember someone mentioning that grade was some kind of post game currency? Where do you spend that? Tales Coins too, what are those for?

When you start a New Game+ you'll be prompted to spend your grade on what bonuses you want. This includes EXP multipliers, so that'd be the easiest way to 200. Tales Coins are spent at any of the mini-game guys, mostly for fashion items or overpriced consumables.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    "Just how old are you Magilou?"

"Well, I'm the same age as my tongue, and only slightly older than my teeth!"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

When you start a New Game+ you'll be prompted to spend your grade on what bonuses you want. This includes EXP multipliers, so that'd be the easiest way to 200. Tales Coins are spent at any of the mini-game guys, mostly for fashion items or overpriced consumables.

There's 2x and 3x for EXP multipliers, which they explicitly state multiply together for a net of 6x EXP.

The most important option obviously is carrying over fashion items.

• Options
    Aw! You have to pay grade to carry fashion items over to NG+? LAME!

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Aw! You have to pay grade to carry fashion items over to NG+? LAME!

It's only 50 grade, that's like half a dire foe.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    This Heavenly Steppes dungeon is so thoroughly unenjoyable... It's amazing that it's in a game that's as enjoyable as Berseria.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Tales of Everything Got Bad, Got Worse, Got Worse Some More, Jesus Christ How Does It Keep Getting Even Worse?!

I am loving this game so much.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Is there a comprehensive list of sidequests anywhere? I think I have done all of them, but it feels like I am missing one for velvet. Currently making my way through the final dungeon, so everything should be unlocked except for postgame stuff.

• Options
    Apparently you can chain Mystic Artes so I'm gonna be turning off all of them for the AI because they love wasting their BG and ruining my combos. They'll use them when I say they can use them.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Apparently you can chain Mystic Artes so I'm gonna be turning off all of them for the AI because they love wasting their BG and ruining my combos. They'll use them when I say they can use them.

You can what now? How do you do this??

This should be enormously helpful on those shitty time limit fights in the Heavenly Steppes dungeon.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

This should be enormously helpful on those shitty time limit fights in the Heavenly Steppes dungeon.

Mystics pause the timer.

Save up arcane and soul bottles and just Indignation everything.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited February 2017

1. Engage the first Mystic Arte
    2. Before it's done, hold L2 + D-Pad Down
    3. Then before that's done, hold L2 + D-Pad Up
    4. Before that's done, hold L2 + D-Pad Right
    5. Again hold L2 + D-Pad Right
    6. And again hold L2 + D-Pad Right

That's how the video I saw explained it anyway. And if you have enough BG you can chain Mystics for a looooooong time. I saw someone do a 196 hit Mystic combo with enough damage to wipe away just about any boss.

Madican on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Oh...that's useful.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    That is incredibly useful for finishing up things before they get into their annoying low health patterns of spamming their most annoying attack. Now I just gotta figure out which direction corresponds to which character so I can pull it off with just a few people instead of everyone.

And some of the sidequest fights are pretty dumb.
    Phoenix was one of the worst designed fights I have seen in a long time. Small, immune to staggering and a mystic arte that always killed 1-2 people. Managed to kill him while keeping it on intense, but it required playing Eizen and spamming spells, while dodging him whenever he got close. Him being more than twice my level probably didn't help I guess.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Shit. I discovered the card game. Oh dear, this is more of a time-sink than Gwent. Bye-bye plot-progress.

BIIIEEEEENFUUUUUUUU!!!

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    I didn't care for the card game... maybe it would help if I knew who the characters were? I always just felt it was blind luck anytime I won.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I didn't care for the card game... maybe it would help if I knew who the characters were? I always just felt it was blind luck anytime I won.
    I recognise all of the Symphonia characters, and maybe 75% of the rest from various tales anime and lets-plays.

It is mostly blind luck early on, but some skill is required once you unlock advanced difficulty:
    Match characters based on the game they are from.

There are little icons at the bottom to indicate what type of character they are (Hero, prodigy, renegade, princess, adorable sidekick, ninja, and then everyone else - "allies")

If you match the cards they are yours and you get two points divided by whatever character type it is. Then a card from the deck is drawn to be played on the field. If the drawn card matches a game then you get that pair as well. If not then it is added to the field.

The bonuses start at 5 heroes, 10 allies, 2 ninjas, 2 princesses, 3 adorable sidekicks, 3 renegades, and 4 prodigies.

There's also a 10 point bonus for getting all of the cards of a game.

Once you get a bonus you can end the round or continue. Whoever ends the round receives their points but the other player loses theirs (so if you get 40 points and choose to continue and the computer ends the turn you lose all 40).

The higher the points you have if you win means bigger prize.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Trick with the card game is to see what's in your hand that can be completed fastest with what's on the field. If you have two of one of the low-cost wins then they're basically free points if you can swing their cards. Don't chase if you only have one of something though, because the computer does actually cheat and will take all the cards on the field to force you into drawing two, then it'll take them, so you draw it two new ones, it takes those also, and it turns into a vicious cycle.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://smile.amazon.com/Tales-Berseria-PlayStation-4/dp/B01HQGWBZ2/

33% off Tales of Berseria(PS4) at Amazon today until midnight PST.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

You don't need to know the characters. The matches are all based on the symbols.

• Options
    IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    question as i have about berseria's world
    One question i have at least compared to zesteria. i still don't get why whole villages are daemon blighted. like it is the zesteria model right? shouldn't negative emotioned people only be effected? why is the whole village effected? why is the that nice girl in velvets village or haria?

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Illieas wrote: »
    One question i have at least compared to zesteria. i still don't get why whole villages are daemon blighted. like it is the zesteria model right? shouldn't negative emotioned people only be effected? why is the whole village effected? why is the that nice girl in velvets village or haria?

How far into the game are you?

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Takel wrote: »

How far into the game are you?

not too far got
    got back to the prison to set up the base to hide the therions

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Didn't Eizen just explain it?
    As I recall, all humans generate malice. Some do generate more than others, but malice produced leaks out into the environment and you can be affected by malice produced by other people nearby.

Therions consume malice, and getting rid of one causes a fairly abrupt upswing of ambient malice since it isn't getting filtered out anymore. So demon transformation becomes much more likely in the whole geographical region.

I think demons also produce more malice than humans, so the situation can be exacerbated even more by chain reactions.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    As I recall, all humans generate malice. Some do generate more than others, but malice produced leaks out into the environment and you can be affected by malice produced by other people nearby.

Therions consume malice, and getting rid of one causes a fairly abrupt upswing of ambient malice since it isn't getting filtered out anymore. So demon transformation becomes much more likely in the whole geographical region.

I think demons also produce more malice than humans, so the situation can be exacerbated even more by chain reactions.
    I think it just weird at the speed of it all. like i kinda supposed that the humans in haria were generally good or the staring village would be generally good. Meaning that the ambient malice would take quite some time before it did any change. like in zesteria the only time there was a mass daemon making was when two armies were fighting. i am just kinda wondering why malice is more potent in berseria than in zesteria

• Options
    You'll learn more details about it later in the game but Velvet's village
    was full of some not good people.

(It's kinda non-spoilery, but I'm putting it in spoiler tags anyway :P)

• Options

I think it just weird at the speed of it all. like i kinda supposed that the humans in haria were generally good or the staring village would be generally good. Meaning that the ambient malice would take quite some time before it did any change. like in zesteria the only time there was a mass daemon making was when two armies were fighting. i am just kinda wondering why malice is more potent in berseria than in zesteria

Further stuff from midgame, mainly about Haria.
    Haria had been under several months (years maybe, the game is not entierly clear on this) of oppression with the abbey harassing them heavily. This culminated with the abbey taking control of their temple, and their priestess and her daughter dissapearing. An incredibly agitated populace that were suddenly affected by all the malice that was previously being eaten meant some turned, and the panic and such from the initial turnings meant everyone else turned. One could assume that the abbey was keeping the populace unhappy on purpose, as to generate more malice for the local Therion to eat.

The world of Zestiria and Berseria is not called desolation for nothing, it's a miserable place.

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »

Further stuff from midgame, mainly about Haria.
    Haria had been under several months (years maybe, the game is not entierly clear on this) of oppression with the abbey harassing them heavily. This culminated with the abbey taking control of their temple, and their priestess and her daughter dissapearing. An incredibly agitated populace that were suddenly affected by all the malice that was previously being eaten meant some turned, and the panic and such from the initial turnings meant everyone else turned. One could assume that the abbey was keeping the populace unhappy on purpose, as to generate more malice for the local Therion to eat.

The world of Zestiria and Berseria is not called desolation for nothing, it's a miserable place.

okay that makes more sense thanks for clearing it up

• Options
    I remember from what little I played of Zestiria that the main guy lived in a village of people only he could see. Are they Malak then or something?

• Options
    I remember from what little I played of Zestiria that the main guy lived in a village of people only he could see. Are they Malak then or something?

Yup, called seraphim though. The name differences come from the different japanese words used in Zestiria and Berseria. I can't quite remember the differences right now, but if I recall correctly from a friend who plays the games in japanese one of the main differences is the word they translated as malakhim involving the kanji for slave or some such, referring to how most malakhim we see in Berseria spend their time.

• Options
    Neat! If there wasn't an absolute gauntlet of games coming up, I'd reinstall Zestiria =/

Though... I still need to mop up quests/post game stuff in Berseria too...

• Options
    I kind of wanted to play Zestiria after finishing Berseria, it really was that good. Then I remembered Zestiria, and nooooooope.

And I think the only things I have left in Berseria now are the postgame dungeon, and the dual cameo boss. Both seems to need a fair bit of grinding before I can continue, and I am not sure I am willing to do that.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/6juT0GEGpnE

So like 10 years later we finally get the Vesperia special addition.

Looks to be more of a port than a true remaster but I would hope it has dual audio at the least.

I am also buying it as I love Vesperia.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'm stoked to finally get a chance to play the "complete" version of Tales of Vesperia.

It's one of my favorite games ever.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I'm totally okay with it being more of a port than a remaster because I think the game still looks fine, and also it means it can be on Switch, which is fantastic.

Summer goal is gonna be beat Zestiria (I got about a third of the way through(?) before BOTW came out and completely derailed me).

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Zestiria is something of a low point for the series. I don't think the whole armatys stuff works well mechanically because of how ridiculous the stat difference is.

On the other hand... the character interactions are all still really good.

Berseria is better overall, but does lose some of the oozing snark of Zestiria's cast. Or rather, it's all concentrated into one character.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy