As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Switching to [STEAM] could save you 15% or more!

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Torment intro
    Got the Terminal Velocity achievement on my first character.

Whoops.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I really gotta play more PoE

Considering cranking the difficulty down, but I do want to engage with the mechanics. I just need to learn them more, I suppose.

Edit: I may actually make a new character, because I'm not sure Chanter is really my shit. A very cool concept, though.

I recommend going priest, because learning buffs/debuffs and how they affect the fights is a great way to learn the system. Also it allows you to ditch Durance if you'd rather he die in a fire, though I believe his story is one of the more interesting ones.

Also I thought the expansion stuff was better than the main game.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    people seem really hyped about the new nier

which feels odd, because I was under the impression that the first one wasn't that good?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

which feels odd, because I was under the impression that the first one wasn't that good?

the main gameplay was moderately interesting and did some cool creative stuff, and the story was great, but it was all marred by shitty shitty grindy optional sidequests

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

the gameplay was not particularly praised, but the story and conceptual ideas were very b-tier beloved

and now the gameplay is being done by the guys who did Metal Gear Rising, while the regular people are behind story, so

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Oh good. I was worried that the release date not having been announced meant that is be months later.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Considering cranking the difficulty down, but I do want to engage with the mechanics. I just need to learn them more, I suppose.

Edit: I may actually make a new character, because I'm not sure Chanter is really my shit. A very cool concept, though.

I recommend going priest, because learning buffs/debuffs and how they affect the fights is a great way to learn the system. Also it allows you to ditch Durance if you'd rather he die in a fire, though I believe his story is one of the more interesting ones.

Isn't Durance dying in a fire exactly what he wants, though?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    basically you have me at "Platinum action game with what appears to be an actual budget" and then you throw in that it's also a Yoko Taro project
    skIpPp6.png

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

I'm okay with a mutually beneficial outcome.

• Options
    yoko taro might be a better interview than swery, which is something

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

ciphers are fucking weird/neat

not sure what you're feeling, tbh

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Mori said chanters, which I also felt were bland

TheStig on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I, uh, said ciphers

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    The Final Mission.

OPERATION AVENGER
    This was a test of everything that came before... everything we had learned and struggled against, every challenge and obstacle that XCOM had fought to overcome.

From the moment they entered the ship, our team of heroes had to fight their way past all of the enemies we had encountered in the campaign to defend Earth, escalating in danger and threat index.

When at last the final guardian fell, the way to the bridge lay open, and the Ethereal leadership contained within. Revealing themselves at last to Earth's champions, they were struck with an awesome sense of power that lasted but a moment before it was interrupted...

20170302224856_1_zpsnjlzjven.jpg

... before being silenced completely.

20170302224923_1_zps497svzo0.jpg

As the unleashing of powerful psychic energy tore at the ship, the team was caught as the vessel threatened to collapse around them.

But one of them knew what was required.

20170302225003_1_zpstt1ngqxm.jpg

There would be no Armageddon today. No self immolation of the alien mothership, no raining ribbons of energy to fracture the Earth. The invasion would be repelled, the aliens cut off, and the world saved. All that was required was the will to make it so.

Fin.

And thus the world was saved, the millions of lives owed to the actions of the few; those that had sacrificed so much: their minds; their bodies; their very lives. The vast majority of the people they saved would never know their names, but to those who knew and witnessed them, they would never be forgotten.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    I, uh, said ciphers

thought you were refuting the chanter statement

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Nah it was an amazing game. the sidequests were my favorite part

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xx4sT6rEI

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    So in summary: Yoko Taro is a crazy genius, so if you like the creative work of crazy geniuses, then you'll like Nier:Automata?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Ciphers, Chanters, and Barbarians are my favorite classes to play in PoE. I really want to like Monks because I find their mechanic fascinating, but I have not gotten into them yet.

Though I might experiment with multiclassing in the sequel to get that Cipher/Rogue thing going, I feel like that's got to be a good time.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    50 minutes left to jump on the Humble Bundle monthly if you want Total War Warhammer and some mystery games for $12. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The last set included Abzu and SteamWorld Heist, so they can be pretty strong sometimes

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

I think I might actually know less about Nier after watching that

I have aquired negative knowledge

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I might give Cipher a chance

plus I do like Chanters, and I have Kana for that

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Thats not the best nier summary

Clemps does a good video series on it that doesnt skip over like half the build up of thr plot

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Downside - you will have to hang out with Kana.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So should I play Torment or go play Planescape Torment first?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    The Final Mission.

OPERATION AVENGER
    This was a test of everything that came before... everything we had learned and struggled against, every challenge and obstacle that XCOM had fought to overcome.

From the moment they entered the ship, our team of heroes had to fight their way past all of the enemies we had encountered in the campaign to defend Earth, escalating in danger and threat index.

When at last the final guardian fell, the way to the bridge lay open, and the Ethereal leadership contained within. Revealing themselves at last to Earth's champions, they were struck with an awesome sense of power that lasted but a moment before it was interrupted...

20170302224856_1_zpsnjlzjven.jpg

... before being silenced completely.

20170302224923_1_zps497svzo0.jpg

As the unleashing of powerful psychic energy tore at the ship, the team was caught as the vessel threatened to collapse around them.

But one of them knew what was required.

20170302225003_1_zpstt1ngqxm.jpg

There would be no Armageddon today. No self immolation of the alien mothership, no raining ribbons of energy to fracture the Earth. The invasion would be repelled, the aliens cut off, and the world saved. All that was required was the will to make it so.

Fin.

And thus the world was saved, the millions of lives owed to the actions of the few; those that had sacrificed so much: their minds; their bodies; their very lives. The vast majority of the people they saved would never know their names, but to those who knew and witnessed them, they would never be forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aopMm7UGYA

Good game guys. Ready for none of it to have happened when you start XCOM 2? :P

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

It's all subjective, of course, but Planescape is kinda hard to get into these days, I think. The UI is garbage, and a lot of the mechanics are complicated and obtuse. And I hope you know how AD&D rules work, because the game will not explain any of that.

Torment has a much smoother onboarding, and doesn't require any knowledge of Planescape. But Planescape is a classic for a reason, so if you are undaunted by "thrown in the deep end" experiences, it can still be rewarding.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The new Torment isn't any kind of direct sequel to Planescape. It's set in a completely different fiction with no overlapping characters or settings (unless there are some easter eggs I haven't heard of.) So you won't be missing out on any story beats by not playing Planescape first.

That being said, Planescape is a really, really good story, and I think it's one of the few old CRPGs that's absolutely worth wrestling with the interface and combat systems to experience.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah, Planescape Torment is mentioned among the PC greats, especially on this forum. I think just via osmosis I know the ending of that game, but also that there's a blue dude with dreads and a goofy talking skull.

But if the dialogue and character work is as good as Torment is being described as having, then I might still be interested.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Every time I play though Torment I cheat myself up so I start with 18 in all stats so that I can do all the fun stat checks and be tough and not bad at combat. 18 is high enough for most stuff but not so high that the extra point you get each level is useless.

I also usually play as a mage, but this last time I did fighter, and it's so much easier. Especially with 18 STR/DEX/CON. But there's lots of cool shit you can do as a Mage, too.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I think that's a pretty valid way to play. I never once remember finishing a fight in Planescape and saying to myself, "Wow, what a fun and exciting fight! I'm sure glad those enemies were there to keep me from the next weird conversation!"

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/532320/

de Blob is coming to Steam! I'm screaming rn

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

no matter how irritating Kana can be

he is still no Durance

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I think I might actually know less about Nier after watching that

I have aquired negative knowledge

YOKO TARO

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/532320/

de Blob is coming to Steam! I'm screaming rn

I'm amazed it wasn't already on Steam.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

It's all subjective, of course, but Planescape is kinda hard to get into these days, I think. The UI is garbage, and a lot of the mechanics are complicated and obtuse. And I hope you know how AD&D rules work, because the game will not explain any of that.

Torment has a much smoother onboarding, and doesn't require any knowledge of Planescape. But Planescape is a classic for a reason, so if you are undaunted by "thrown in the deep end" experiences, it can still be rewarding.

read/watch an lp of planescape

it's one of my favorite games, but fuck me if I can actually recommend playing it, especially if you're unfamiliar with ad&d rules

• Options

he is still no Durance

I'm not sure which one I dislike more, honestly. Durance, Kana, and Aloth are all in my bottom three, and they constantly swap around.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I've gone over this before but I really like the poe priest design. it's a much better take over the traditional priests are here to heal. fuck heals, drop pillars on everyone

• Options

he is still no Durance

I'm not sure which one I dislike more, honestly. Durance, Kana, and Aloth are all in my bottom three, and they constantly swap around.

the blatant sexism puts durance waaaaaaaaaaay at the bottom for me

Miss me? Find me on:

This discussion has been closed.