As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    458 socom

458socomGel_large.jpg

hnnnnggggggggghhhhhh....

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    ironhead wrote: »
    What caliber are you going to use for hog hunting? Was thinking of building an AR for the same purpose starting with a complete upper and a stripped lower. Was going to go 5.56 but I'm not sure if that's a big enough bullet to get the job done.

It just depends. Feral hogs can be like 40-50lbs or they can be massive. 5.56 will work on a lot of them, but if you want something that can take damn near anything on the North American continent you might as well go .308

5.56 works fine on them. If you're truly shooting a big bastard, and concerned about it not doing the trick on a lung shot, you're better off earholing them.

Also: put everything together tonight. Some gaposis trying to mate the upper to the lower. I need to try backing the buffer tube out one full turn and seeing if that doesn't get it to close. Failing that, I will bust out the sandpaper and the file.

But not bad for a first time assembly with only my leatherman and some punches and a lot of cursing.

Edit: I see this also being the first of several builds, so the learning curve is appreciated

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    What caliber are you going to use for hog hunting? Was thinking of building an AR for the same purpose starting with a complete upper and a stripped lower. Was going to go 5.56 but I'm not sure if that's a big enough bullet to get the job done.

It just depends. Feral hogs can be like 40-50lbs or they can be massive. 5.56 will work on a lot of them, but if you want something that can take damn near anything on the North American continent you might as well go .308

5.56 works fine on them. If you're truly shooting a big bastard, and concerned about it not doing the trick on a lung shot, you're better off earholing them.

Also: put everything together tonight. Some gaposis trying to mate the upper to the lower. I need to try backing the buffer tube out one full turn and seeing if that doesn't get it to close. Failing that, I will bust out the sandpaper and the file.

But not bad for a first time assembly with only my leatherman and some punches and a lot of cursing.

Edit: I see this also being the first of several builds, so the learning curve is appreciated

I don't really disagree with the caliber, I just grew up in rural Alabama so if you hunted you were likely carrying a 30-06 or a .308. We didn't see a lot of .270 (which I'd put on par with a 5.56) so it's what I usually advise.

My thing has always been "go in hunting deer, but have a gun that can take a bear"

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Yeah, I hunt with .30-06 and would like to stop wasting my good ammo on shitcritters.

Although it's not like I'm going to stop using good ammo in the AR, it's just cheaper.

• Options
    Success! Buffer tube was threaded precisely one revolution too far.

Irons are installed. Now to wait until Saturday to see if it fires and cycles appropriately.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Everyone around here hunts swine with .308win (7.62x51)

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular

I've never been hunting so please forgive my ignorance. Is it gauche to shoot a feral hog multiple times?

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »

I've never been hunting so please forgive my ignorance. Is it gauche to shoot a feral hog multiple times?

It's considered excessively cruel to shoot an animal being hunted multiple times so anything that can be done to minimize a need to do so including proper ammunition and sufficient training gets viewed as a necessity.

On top of that, animals can run a lot faster than people so chances are that one shot is all you're going to get because you're not catching up to it if it can still run and if there are plans to use the meat for food adrenaline in the system at time of death has a negative impact on flavor so the more quickly the animal is killed before too much builds up the better.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    No one eats feral hogs. They're an invasive species and nuisance animals and as long as you're not purposefully wounding them to inflict as much pain as possible, shoot them as many times as it takes to put them down.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    No one eats feral hogs. They're an invasive species and nuisance animals and as long as you're not purposefully wounding them to inflict as much pain as possible, shoot them as many times as it takes to put them down.

People definitely eat feral hogs http://www.brokenarrowranch.com/Shop/wild-boar-steaks-racks-tender-cuts.php http://www.dartagnan.com/buy/wild-boar-meat/

There's also a faith based charity in Texas that uses feral hog meat to help out food programs.

And I'm pretty sure the "wild boar" I picked up from the store last year was a feral hog someone hunted given that the distributor's page talks about feral hogs and I found a bullet fragment in one bite.

But what I've read suggests they need to be butchered differently than normal pigs for best results, what cuts and preparations are best are different from normal pigs, and the bigger ones tend to taste worse.

So invasive, yeah but that doesn't meant we don't eat them. We're American dammit.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017

People definitely eat feral hogs http://www.brokenarrowranch.com/Shop/wild-boar-steaks-racks-tender-cuts.php http://www.dartagnan.com/buy/wild-boar-meat/

There's also a faith based charity in Texas that uses feral hog meat to help out food programs.

And I'm pretty sure the "wild boar" I picked up from the store last year was a feral hog someone hunted given that the distributor's page talks about feral hogs and I found a bullet fragment in one bite.

But what I've read suggests they need to be butchered differently than normal pigs for best results, what cuts and preparations are best are different from normal pigs, and the bigger ones tend to taste worse.

So invasive, yeah but that doesn't meant we don't eat them. We're American dammit.

I think you two are talking about two different things. From what I could find, there is a distinction between feral hogs (or pigs) and wild boars.

edit - and the bullet fragment you found in your wild boar could still be from a wild boar as opposed to a feral hog, since people do hunt wild boar for subsistence.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I think you two are talking about two different things. From what I could find, there is a distinction between feral hogs (or pigs) and wild boars.

edit - and the bullet fragment you found in your wild boar could still be from a wild boar as opposed to a feral hog, since people do hunt wild boar for subsistence.

Some people make a distinction but a lot don't since they're often considered the same species and certainly breed with each other. Those two companies definitely do not. They specifically talk about feral hogs on their info pages about their "wild boar." D'artagnan is a nation wide distributor of high end meat too. Their boar/hog isn't as popular as their duck but we're not talking a small time operation here.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    People in FL definitely eat feral hogs. We have a bunch of ranches where you can go and shoot them on planned hunts because the damn things are everywhere and multiply like rabbits.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    "Russian boars" are often conflated with "feral pigs". They are typically woolier looking in appearance, with large tusks and known for having a "shield", which is a thicker hide and fat build up over the spine. I have retrieved several mushroomed bullets when skinning hogs (both boar and sow) from this thick part of the hide, trapped in fat. Both times the cartridge used was a 180 grain .30-06, and both were lung shots where the bullet went through both lungs and turned the heart into jelly, broke the ribs on the opposite side, and took an angle through the spine.

Russian boars were imported over a century ago for sportsmen to hunt. Feral pigs were domesticated, escaped, and became feral in a generation or less.

Boars are a male hog. Sows are a female hog who have birthed a litter. Gilts are female hogs who haven't borne a litter. Shoats are young pigs. Sounder is a group of hogs.

Feral hogs are non-game animals in most places and are considered an invasive species, meaning you can hunt them year round. They are detrimental to farming and ranching operations, due to eating anything and everything, and tearing up fencing or fields with their wallows. They eat turkey eggs and run deer off. They will literally eat anything. I have seen a show pig eat a bird that fell in its pen.

You can eat them, but the younger they are, the better. Taste will depend upon preparation (brining, other shit) and what they themselves have been eating. Most of the time you're better off getting it all turned into sausage, or even more ironically, cheaper to purchase at the grocery store and get better quality meat.

Hogs give birth at a rapid rate. Gestational periods are between 3 - 4 months, with litters ranging from 4-12 on the upper end. Average group I've seen is typically a sow or two and roughly 6-8 piglets/shoats.

@Turkson most people don't give a shit what you do to hogs. Personally, I go for the most humane kill possible on any animal. Most animals don't present the opportunity for a follow-up shot.

• Options
    Also I shot my AR and it is badass

• Options
    edited February 2017
    You can eat them, but the younger they are, the better. Taste will depend upon preparation (brining, other shit) and what they themselves have been eating. Most of the time you're better off getting it all turned into sausage, or even more ironically, cheaper to purchase at the grocery store and get better quality meat.

Another good preparation is to use it an a ragout, something where the the comparative leanness of the meat compared to farm raised pigs isn't an issue and that can handle (and is often made with) gamey meat. My favorite Italian restaurant did that as a dish for a few months once and it was delicious. The intersection of people that hunt hogs and that do long cooked sauces like that is probably pretty small though.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
    Question about handguns and performance.

I'm looking at picking up a Springfield XD in 9mm for my first handgun. I've handled them in store several times and like the way they feel. However, I'm not sure if I should get the 4" or the 5" model. There's no intention to carry, this would be for recreation and worst case scenario home defense. They both feel fine, in my hand, though I did notice the 5" being a little heavier. Is there much difference in performance between the two?

Secondary question: Or do I go full dream gun and get their Mil-Spec 1911?

This is mostly going to be for going to range, so I figure the cost savings of the 9mm might be better for that.

XBL - TeenageHead
  • Options

I'm looking at picking up a Springfield XD in 9mm for my first handgun. I've handled them in store several times and like the way they feel. However, I'm not sure if I should get the 4" or the 5" model. There's no intention to carry, this would be for recreation and worst case scenario home defense. They both feel fine, in my hand, though I did notice the 5" being a little heavier. Is there much difference in performance between the two?

This is mostly going to be for going to range, so I figure the cost savings of the 9mm might be better for that.

Heavier will mean less recoil transferred to the hand. How much difference in performance that makes I'll leave to someone who has actually shot both.

1911s are also fun and Springfield makes some great ones. But 1911s usually come with a beavertail grip safety instead of the original spec style used on the Mil-Spec these days for a good reason: The old style hurts a lot of people's hands. I'd go with a different 1911 model if you don't already have a small collection as the mil-spec is more of a curiosity than something you regularly take to the range.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    5" also generally makes it easier to shoot accurately, since you have a longer sight picture when aiming. Unless you felt like the 5" was too heavy, 5" is probably to go if you're never going to have it as a carry gun.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    So today was my first firearms class. My genius plan of going in early and trying a few guns out before hand and buying one was foiled by the simple fact that they were incredibly busy. There was a 30 minute wait to even get a lane so I didn't try to rent anything.

The class though was a lot of fun. It was a husband and wife that taught it and they were nice people. They went over all the basics, the different types of handguns, what the parts where called and what they did, they gave us each a blue gun to teach us how to grip a handgun, then set a few different handguns out on a table for us to hold and just fiddle with so we could get a feel for them. They stressed safety a lot, and said our class was very good about not breaking any of the 4 rules. Then the last hour we got to shoot.

They split us up into two groups. Everyone who brought their own gun in on range and everyone who was renting (as I was) in the other. They put us in pairs and set out an M&P 22 Compact for each of us to use along with 25 rounds. I was in the first group, we started off loading one round in the magazine, getting a solid firing grip, loading the magazine, then getting ready for the word to commence firing. We did a single round twice, the we did 3 rounds at once, and then 5 round groups until we where out and the next group took their turn.

I was nervous standing there with a loaded pistol before that first shot, as I had no idea what the recoil was gonna be or how loud it was gonna be or anything like that. But after the first shot I was able to relax and had a lot of fun. The last 5 round group the instructor told us to go ahead and fire as fast as well felt comfortable with and man, banging out those 5 rounds quickly felt good. I have no frame of reference, but I think I did okay.

2lkv8t0.jpg

All in all a very good experience. The instructors teach other classes that are more advanced that I think I'll look into and next time I'm home I'm gonna definitely make some time on a Saturday morning (when the guy says they usually aren't very busy) and try out what I want to get. I'm leaning towards a Glock 19, as the instructors had an unloaded one for us to hold and it felt pretty good in my hand, plus the store had a special edition one in a really nice looking ghost grey that I found pretty sweet.

• Options
    The class though was a lot of fun. It was a husband and wife that taught it and they were nice people. They went over all the basics, the different types of handguns, what the parts where called and what they did, they gave us each a blue gun to teach us how to grip a handgun, then set a few different handguns out on a table for us to hold and just fiddle with so we could get a feel for them. They stressed safety a lot, and said our class was very good about not breaking any of the 4 rules. Then the last hour we got to shoot.

Speaking of what the parts are all called, while not a handgun (well, not in this form anyways...to be honest, I have been eyeballing the pistol variant of this), Instructor Neebs is on the case!
    h2pfgk5wybkz.jpg

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    I <3 my Scorpion, though I have the carbine version. I would recommend replacing the ambi safety with either a delete or an aftermarket part. Otherwise it digs in like crazy to your hand.

• Options
    [Paragon] wrote: »
    I <3 my Scorpion, though I have the carbine version. I would recommend replacing the ambi safety with either a delete or an aftermarket part. Otherwise it digs in like crazy to your hand.

Honestly, if I actually do pick up a Scorpion pistol, I'd definitely want to SBR it. As for the safety, when I last went to the range and asked to hold the Scorpion pistol, I didn't notice any discomfort...but I definitely wasn't holding it in a shooting position (and I also have wee dainty hands), so I wonder if the safety digging into my hand thing would go unnoticed or not. Or, like you suggested, just remove the right-side safety (if possible), since I'm right-handed.

• Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    CZ makes an ambi delete, pretty easy install. It digs into most people's trigger fingers on the right side when you shoot it, it's pretty damned annoying.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

I have a stainless steel Mil-Spec Model 1911 from Springfield Armory, and I'm very happy with it. Easily the most accurate handgun I own. Understand that the 1911 design is, well, old, and modern semi-automatics are MUCH easier to break down and clean.

• Options
    Finally got to shoot my Glock 19 last night!

I like the trigger so much better than my old Sig Sauer. Stock sites are ok, but I think I want to replace them with tritium or some other kind of low-light setup.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    You like a stock Glock trigger more than a Sig?

Impressive! Crazy, but to each their own!

• Options

It's a 25+ year old Sig P226 if that matters. But the trigger on it felt like I was pulling forever and the trigger reset seemed to be about 3 inches in front of the trigger guard. My other issue I had with my Sig was that my hold put my shooting thumb right over the slide release. And it only required a mouse fart to push down on and send the slide home on an empty chamber.

It's still a fantastic gun and I will sing its virtues to anyone. I just really like my new Glock.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    so I'll post pics Monday but I started a new project. I'm selling my .50 blackpowder kentucky pistol and I'm going to get a .32 barrel (not sure if flintlock or percussion yet but likely percussion because I've already got the lock) and my summer project is to make a stock for it.

I have a piece of Cedar, which is a TERRIBLE wood for gun stocks because if you look at it wrong it dents, but dammit it smells good and we've got fresh cedar at the cabin and I cut a 2x8 out of a log that I cored and then ran through a planar so to hell with the internet opinions :D

• Options

It's a 25+ year old Sig P226 if that matters. But the trigger on it felt like I was pulling forever and the trigger reset seemed to be about 3 inches in front of the trigger guard. My other issue I had with my Sig was that my hold put my shooting thumb right over the slide release. And it only required a mouse fart to push down on and send the slide home on an empty chamber.

It's still a fantastic gun and I will sing its virtues to anyone. I just really like my new Glock.

I also ride the hell out of the slide on my Sigs and find myself confused when I run empty

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Finally got to shoot my Glock 19 last night!

I like the trigger so much better than my old Sig Sauer. Stock sites are ok, but I think I want to replace them with tritium or some other kind of low-light setup.

I actually just had a set of tritium XS Big Dot sights installed on my 19C. Such an improvement!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    I've never actually held a Kel Tec Sub 2000 before and today I got to check one out.

I might be selling my Kentucky 50cal blackpowder pistol, my Chiappa little badger, and MAYBE my Thompson Hawken (keeping the flintlock obs) to get one plus extra mags.

9mm M&P flavored.

• Options
    I have an unhealthy desire to own a Kel-Tec SU-16. I can't explain it. They're plastic, and as much if not more than a decently spec'd standard AR-15. But that fold and the magazines in the stock...

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    yeah I mean I'm LOVING that little badger but it's so impractical for anything other than squirrels or rabbits

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Kel Tec stuff is a lot of fun it just sucks that they seem to make so little quantity of the most interesting guns they develop. Their factory/HQ is in my hometown and it's still difficult to find stuff like the RFB and KSG in stock. And Sub2000s are still semi rare. I got lucky when I found mine in my regular shop.

• Options
    They're too busy doing things like adding factory barrel and magazine extension tubes to turn the KSG into the 25 round Frankenstein's Monster of bullpup shotguns to make more Sub 2k's.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Of course then they announce the RDB Survival, fitting a full, non-SBR .223 into just 26.1 inches and all is forgiven...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    The RDB is pretty cool and the MSRP is pretty low for a bullpup. I've never seen one in person but I thought it was neat when I saw it on the Shot Show videos last year.

• Options
    yeah I dunno.

I mean the chiappa does what I want it too, but the idea of having the canik 9mm with four extra mags on my vest AND a kel tec 9mm with three mags and two boxes of 9mm (all on the vest) just seems really nice.

• Options
    fuck it there's someone interested in the blackpowder pistol and thompson hawken this weekend if I can get 250 there and 150 for the chiappa imma buy it.