As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Seafood in Boston?

theadman2315theadman2315 PhillyRegistered User regular
I know there's a vegan post, but I'm a Catholic celebrating lent. I would love to know of recommended seafood places in the Boston area for Friday. Preferably close to the convention center, and offering something besides just clam chowder.

Chickens can fly
I've seen it

• Options
    bluebombardierbluebombardier Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yankee Lobster, No Name, Row 34 in increasing order of price. For Row 34, you'll want to make a reservation. There's also Legal (Seafood) Harborside, and Legal Test Kitchen.

bluebombardier on
    VqOf6Tv.png
  • Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    I really like the Barking Crab. Close to the convention center and semi-outdoor for the nice weather. I had their crab dip and some beer last year while the sun was setting... killer.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    It depends.
    Do you want top fish prepared via fine dining? Raw bar? Standard fried fare? Purely fish or shellfish and lobster as well? There's a lot of options around seafood, and different specialties and styles (IE - traditional new england vs. new american vs. japanese etc.)

• Options
    theadman2315theadman2315 PhillyRegistered User regular
    not really looking for fine dining, more of just a place to grab a fast lunch, and then a place for a sit down dinner that's not too pricey

Chickens can fly
    I've seen it
  • Options
    bluebombardierbluebombardier Registered User regular
    You're in luck; it's Restaurant Week. Depending on how you define "pricey", you can get a 3-course meal for roughly $40. You'll want to make reservations regardless; any places close by will be busy. For a fast seafood lunch, do Yankee Lobster. For the fastest ever lunch, order ahead at Jimmy John's and pick it up, or hit up the food trucks that will be parked to the east at the Lawn on D. The Daily Catch is also great; there's one in Seaport.

VqOf6Tv.png
  • Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Woah there, someone's looking to start a fight. Contentious topic!

I'm echoing the other people in this thread. If you're in Seaport, Yankee Lobster is great for a quick lunch. Usual go-to with my friends after they fly in on Thursday.

As for a good sit-down restaurant, having eaten my way around the area, I personally think Row 34 is the best seafood you're going to get in Seaport. I actually have a reservation there on Thursday that I made almost a month ago. You will need a reservation. Like, as soon as possible. As in, why are you still reading this, make yer bloody reservation. Should that not be an option, Legal Test Kitchen is a great choice as well, and is where my crew usually feasts on Sunday after PAX.

I'm not huge on Barking Crab, to be honest. I think it's overrated/overpriced and touristy. I'm a fan of The Daily Catch, which does excellent Sicilian style seafood, but their reviews tanked recently and I'm unsure why. It's a bit of a downer, to be honest. I was taken there recently, and as far as I could tell, everything was about the same.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I'm going to echo the sentiments of legal test kitchen, went there for the first time last year and will definitely be going again.

• Options
    SatoruSatoru Registered User regular
    1) Atlantic Fish
    2) James Hook & Co for the best lobster sandwiches period
    3) East Ocean if you're into chinese style steamed seafood
    4) No-name for you 'no frills all fried' seafood

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    By the by, if you've never had New England fried clams before...you must welcome them into your life.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    djlybsdjlybs Slayer of the Datas Boston MetroRegistered User regular
    By the by, if you've never had New England fried clams before...you must welcome them into your life.

That sounds like a religion conversion pitch...of which I'd be first in line. Too bad most of the good clam shacks don't open until mid-to-late march, but with the weather so warm this past week maybe they'll open early.

Also, if you have the scratch and like oysters, then you can't beat island creek oysters.

MvyuK6O.png
  • Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    djlybs wrote: »

That sounds like a religion conversion pitch...of which I'd be first in line. Too bad most of the good clam shacks don't open until mid-to-late march, but with the weather so warm this past week maybe they'll open early.

Also, if you have the scratch and like oysters, then you can't beat island creek oysters.

Agreed on the shacks. My family used to go to Maine for summer vacation..i have fond memories of those shacks. But what we can get in the local restos will do.

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    ScoJoMoScoJoMo Registered User regular

And make sure they're FULL clams, with bellies. None of those blasphemous "clam strips."

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    You should be able to find at minimum some kind of fish fry at any of the joints near the convention center. Like whiskey priest or Atlantic beer garden. Whiskey priest literally has some kind of seafood in every menu category (other than the burger section).

And for lunch I'd actually suggest some kind of carryout or delivery nearby the convention center. There's good Chinese, and a bunch of sub joints. Many will deliver straight to the convention center, and will also have fish on the menu.

The trouble with all of the restaurants near the convention center is that they will either be a decent and cold walk from the convention center, or will be packed to the point that a quick lunch is just logistical incapability (from both the wait, and the fact that the kitchens are just 100% in the weeds for hours), or both.

For a nice sit down the current suggestions are good. Especially legal test kitchen, but again it's always a bit busy, I'm only going to be hitting it for oysters and drinks this year myself.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Like, even the ones the convention center serves up are good.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    jrdobbsjrdobbs Registered User regular
    Ride the Red Line to Alewife and go to Summer Shack. You cannot go wrong there!

Get Slack

JR
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    jrdobbs wrote: »
    Ride the Red Line to Alewife and go to Summer Shack. You cannot go wrong there!

That's like an hour or more of traveling all around.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Wrong thread!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    djlybsdjlybs Slayer of the Datas Boston MetroRegistered User regular
    ScoJoMo wrote: »
    And make sure they're FULL clams, with bellies. None of those blasphemous "clam strips."

I think that would be the appropriate religious divide...a tasty...tasty divide...
    That's like saying a gas station burger is on the same level as in-out, five guys, or even Red Robin

Agreed on the shacks. My family used to go to Maine for summer vacation..i have fond memories of those shacks. But what we can get in the local restos will do.
    The ones I'm thinking of are in quincy along wollaston beach, Tony's Clam shop (my fav) and the Clam Box. The two issues are they are a bit of hike from the North Quincy t-station (most likely a lyft/uber ride) and they are closed at the moment, but if East is April again I would definitely recommend checking them out.

MvyuK6O.png
  • Options
    RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    That's like saying a gas station burger is on the same level as in-out, five guys, or even Red Robin

I've had gas station burgers better than in-n-out before, that is not a high bar to beat.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    The metaphor only works if burgers were regional cuisine and you only got to eat them once a year. Trust me, you go without out some nice fried clams for a year and even the bad ones taste like heaven.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    johnyg13nbjohnyg13nb Registered User new member
    I really like The Chart House, It does fall on the more expensive side but the ambiance is great and you can take a beautiful walk of Boston Harbor after dinner.