As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Torment: Tides of Numenara] Are you the Fallen Star? Out now! HYYYYYYYPE

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    3clipse wrote: »
    Man this game is pretty far out. The sheer density of weird shit is pretty impressive. I think I spent like 45 minutes just talking the people and poking weird objects in the first zone of the city.

Has anyone gotten any of the surgeries (chirurgeries?) from the guy in the cliffside district?

Also there's a lot of non-violent options it seems. I haven't actually fought anyone yet (except for in the prologue, which I assume is unavoidable), but I have persuaded/lied my way out of two fights.

Supposedly you don't have to kill anyone to finish the game.

I got into a combat crisis that seemed to have no other solution, but it may have been optional (though I didn't expect it, for sure).

As it is, I'm not very attached to the main plot at all. A lot of side-questing goodness though. Can see how some people wouldn't enjoy it and the UI remains annoyingly sluggish for no reason.

BTW, does anybody know if the Tidal Affinity options change if you're attuned to another tide? As in, if I'm blue tide, will I get different options (or in different places) than if I were gold tide? I ask specifically because I'm blue right now and getting mostly knowledge options out of Tidal Affinity....

hippofant on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Game's pretty interesting, but goddamn it runs like ass on PS4... laggy stuttering all over the place.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Man this game is pretty far out. The sheer density of weird shit is pretty impressive. I think I spent like 45 minutes just talking the people and poking weird objects in the first zone of the city.

Has anyone gotten any of the surgeries (chirurgeries?) from the guy in the cliffside district?

Also there's a lot of non-violent options it seems. I haven't actually fought anyone yet (except for in the prologue, which I assume is unavoidable), but I have persuaded/lied my way out of two fights.

Supposedly you don't have to kill anyone to finish the game.

I got into a combat crisis that seemed to have no other solution, but it may have been optional (though I didn't expect it, for sure).

As it is, I'm not very attached to the main plot at all. A lot of side-questing goodness though. Can see how some people wouldn't enjoy it and the UI remains annoyingly sluggish for no reason.

BTW, does anybody know if the Tidal Affinity options change if you're attuned to another tide? As in, if I'm blue tide, will I get different options (or in different places) than if I were gold tide? I ask specifically because I'm blue right now and getting mostly knowledge options out of Tidal Affinity....

My understanding is that Tidal Affinity always does the same thing but depending on the dominant Tide it may get a different reaction from the NPC(s).

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Got to play just a little bit last night, but liking what I've seen so far, writing/dialogue pretty engaging, though I just finished the conversation with the 2 people you meet when you awaken. Ended up deciding to go with a clever jack, which is a bit unusual for me, since I usually go for mage archetypes. We'll see how things roll.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Nanos get 'thought reading' at the start, which gives nice inside info on most characters.

I decided to bite the bullet and re-rolled a mean lean talking machine nano.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    jammu wrote: »
    Nanos get 'thought reading' at the start, which gives nice inside info on most characters.

I decided to bite the bullet and re-rolled a mean lean talking machine nano.

I'm almost 100% sure that'll be my second character, if I don't cave in and do what you did and reroll one.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Important to note, unlike The Nameless One, you can in fact die which will cause a save reload. Have to really think about touching all of these weird objects given that they may laser you to death.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    There are deaths that cause more story to happen, and deaths that are a proper fail. It's not always super clear what will happen with a given instance of you dying.

Also it's definitely worth playing at least one Scan Thoughts character because you get to see some amazing extra bits of lore/dialogue. Particularly with Erritis.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Game's pretty interesting, but goddamn it runs like ass on PS4... laggy stuttering all over the place.
    This is super disappointing to hear. I was keen to check this out, but if it runs poorly on PS4, I imagine it will be worse on Xbone.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    It runs fine on Xbox One. There's some issue with the PS4 version.

This game really needs like... an online character builder. DYK that Nanos get 2 free ranks in Concentration as they level up? DYK that if you spent any skill trainings on Concentration before then, it was a total waste? Woooo.

This game really needs like... an online character builder. DYK that Nanos get 2 free ranks in Concentration as they level up? DYK that if you spent any skill trainings on Concentration before then, it was a total waste? Woooo.

Ha, wow, thank you for saying that. I would have been all ready to do that.

You CAN get super-specialized on some skills, like Lore: Machinery. I guess that probably gives me another +15% on checks using that skill. But Concentration doesn't seem like it'd do anything more at 3?

• SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I remember getting some kind of super success on a roll during the beta that gave me extra loot somewhere near the beginning of the game..
    so I spent.. a lot of last night save scumming in the first two little areas trying to get one of those great successes.. no luck..
    Got to town, and to those rocks near The Genocide.. got the little pyramid cypher, then failed my attempt to smash the cylinder.. and was rewarded for my failure..
    My reward? A severed finger cypher that had images of eating the finger and then performing awesome feats of dexterity.. but with warnings to never, ever remove your own finger and put this one in it's place..
    Effects of using the cypher from the inventory screen? a Permanent +1 to Quick Fingers.
    That seems.. Super handy!
    So I ate the finger.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    I remember getting some kind of super success on a roll during the beta that gave me extra loot somewhere near the beginning of the game..
    so I spent.. a lot of last night save scumming in the first two little areas trying to get one of those great successes.. no luck..
    Got to town, and to those rocks near The Genocide.. got the little pyramid cypher, then failed my attempt to smash the cylinder.. and was rewarded for my failure..
    My reward? A severed finger cypher that had images of eating the finger and then performing awesome feats of dexterity.. but with warnings to never, ever remove your own finger and put this one in it's place..
    Effects of using the cypher from the inventory screen? a Permanent +1 to Quick Fingers.
    So I ate the finger.

This is a good PS:T callback too.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I think I completely screwed up the Stay of Execution sidequest, and if I don't reload yesterday's save, I might not be able to keep Tybir in my party.

captaink wrote: »
    I think I completely screwed up the Stay of Execution sidequest, and if I don't reload yesterday's save, I might not be able to keep Tybir in my party.

You can absolutely screw up sidequests by waiting too long or doing things in the wrong order.

So I ate the finger.

Whaaaat :bigfrown:

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

I'm pretty positive I did, but that's ok. Keep on rolling.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    So I ate the finger.

Well the game does have a loading screen tip that says "failures can be even better than success!"

So I ate the finger.

Well the game does have a loading screen tip that says "failures can be even better than success!"

My builds are such a total clusterfuck right now because I didn't understand how progression worked :bigfrown:

• JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    About 90 minutes in, and oh, god, I could probably spend five hours just on the first two city screens talking to every single person and interacting with every single interactable.

edited March 2017

Store-location spoiler:
    Also found a cypher in the Bloom that will permanently add 1 Concentration.

hippofant on
    So I ate the finger.

My builds are such a total clusterfuck right now because I didn't understand how progression worked :bigfrown:

Yeah I played all of Sagus Cliffs pre release and then started a new character to fix all the dumb choices I made.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Man, I hope there's a PS4 patch soon :(

I wanna explore this weird world!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    About 90 minutes in, and oh, god, I could probably spend five hours just on the first two city screens talking to every single person and interacting with every single interactable.

I spent about 11 hours in Sagus Cliffs the first time. So much to see and learn about, it's great.

• JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I don't do any tabletop gaming to speak of, but I own an embarrassing stack of Numenera supplements that I've greatly enjoyed thumbing through; and I have a bunch of the fiction sitting unread on my Kindle.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Question about the murder investigation in the Underbelly:
    My best guess at a suspect was the young woman, whose name started with K (can't remember exactly). The guy in the upper right had a pretty good alibi and reading his thoughts didn't reveal anything. The creature in the lower left didn't seem right and her thoughts checked out. But I didn't really have any good evidence for the young woman, it was just process of elimination.

The head Dendra O'Hur guy said that the young woman plays with her hair when she's lying, but I didn't notice her doing that (I didn't find that out until later so she may have done it in a dialog option that went away). Or the killer wasn't any of them and was someone else.

Anyway, does anyone know if there's something I missed?

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    TheColonel wrote: »
    Important to note, unlike The Nameless One, you can in fact die which will cause a save reload. Have to really think about touching all of these weird objects given that they may laser you to death.

Meh. interest just took a nosedive.

Having the Nameless One be the guinea pig was half the fun of torment.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    azith28 wrote: »
    TheColonel wrote: »

Meh. interest just took a nosedive.

Having the Nameless One be the guinea pig was half the fun of torment.

True deaths are actually rare. Just quick save, before handling any sharp objects or monoliths with disintegrators.

My best death was getting killed by a group of henchmen. I regenerated and they apologized to me and left.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Question about the murder investigation in the Underbelly:
    My best guess at a suspect was the young woman, whose name started with K (can't remember exactly). The guy in the upper right had a pretty good alibi and reading his thoughts didn't reveal anything. The creature in the lower left didn't seem right and her thoughts checked out. But I didn't really have any good evidence for the young woman, it was just process of elimination.

The head Dendra O'Hur guy said that the young woman plays with her hair when she's lying, but I didn't notice her doing that (I didn't find that out until later so she may have done it in a dialog option that went away). Or the killer wasn't any of them and was someone else.

Anyway, does anyone know if there's something I missed?

There is something you missed. Before solving this quest, I would advise going to the bar with all the psychics if you haven't already.

Reason:
    A ghostly woman will give you a quest that interacts with a character from the quest you're doing now.

As far as what you missed in the investigation:
    If you talk to merchants in the first area of Sagus Cliffs, you'll discover more evidence.

And quest solution:
    It's the young woman you're thinking of.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Apparently failing that is more profitable.
    You get 500 shins for condemning a wrong person to be executed

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Murder quest:
    Aha my CSI like skills are vindicated. I did talk to her about the one quest before she ran off though.
    Another main (I think?) quest question:
    I'm supposed to find a guy called Mazoff. It was a while ago, but I think they said he had wires in his chest. I swear I talked to a guy like that, but I can't remember where and I've looked all over and can't find him. Has anyone found him?

edited March 2017
    Another main (I think?) quest question:
    I'm supposed to find a guy called Mazoff. It was a while ago, but I think they said he had wires in his chest. I swear I talked to a guy like that, but I can't remember where and I've looked all over and can't find him. Has anyone found him?

You find him at the end of Act 2.
    Or rather, you find a merecaster that will enable you to meet him.

If he shows up elsewhere in the game unnamed or in disguise, I don't know. I vaguely recall the same thing you mention, but I assumed that this wasn't an entirely unusual characteristic for a person to have in this world.

hippofant on
    edited March 2017
    BTW, if anybody's gotten to the gullet, does anybody know the ... uh... non-forceful way to open the...
    secret maw on the right side? Can't find any despair to feed it and I don't want to use the blade :sad:

Edit: Figured it out.

hippofant on
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I like the Rune of Torment a whole lot more than the Tide tattoo thing*. It feels like it's trying to be similar to the rune, but it's just.. a poor replacement.
    This backer strategy guide is very light on reward info for quests, it just seems to be a lot of "here are the 2-3 available solutions" without reward info.(I avoided actually reading solutions, just skimmed to see if they mentioned loot.)
    It does let me know what silver tongue and all those evolve into. I guess better merchant prices are okay, I like money.

Edit:
    *Says the guy with a Rune of Torment tattoo.

SutibunRi on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Achievement spoiler. Intro
    Got Terminal Velocity on my first character.

Huzzah!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    Finished the game. Thoughts:
    Meeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh, unfortunately. Once you leave Sagus Cliffs quality takes a real downturn. Valley of the Dead Heroes and the Necropolis are decent enough, but Miel Avest feels so rushed and had a lot more potential for exploration and lore, and the Bloom is just all over the place. There's decent enough writing in there, but it's very scatterbrained, and then suddenly the game is kind of just over...? You get several major revelations and plot thread resolutions in like, an hour or two, and then the game just ends, with frankly no truly satisfying resolution possible.

I dunno. Sagus Cliffs felt so coherent and polished, and it feels like they really rushed the rest of it. And it was short too! I finished all of the content in the game (bar like, 2 side quests that I messed up) and read every piece of dialogue I could find and used all the merecasters I found and clocked in at 25 hours. Didn't really live up to the hype, unfortunately.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    How heavy is this game on combat? I know the original was less focused on that, so is this the same? Could someone give me a quick rundown of combat?

Are you the magic man?
    Frei wrote: »
    How heavy is this game on combat? I know the original was less focused on that, so is this the same? Could someone give me a quick rundown of combat?

Combat is pretty much the same as the Shadowrun games from Harebrained Schemes, if you've played them, but with Action and Move instead of AP, and each turn takes forever for no apparent reason. You can avoid basically all of the combat in the game though.