As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gwent] Homecoming is out!

OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripateticRegistered User regular
edited October 2018 in Games and Technology
This is definitely a work in progress. Let me know if you have links to add.

Intro
Hello! Welcome to Gwent, the new F2P card game based on the surprisingly addictive minigame from The Witcher 3. The game is developed by CD Projekt Red and well, it’s even more addictive.

Mechanics Overview
Similar but vastly more complex than the original game, the standalone card game Gwent has players choosing from five factions, building a deck of twenty five cards and battling over three rounds for best two out of three. The high score wins the round.

Cards are primarily divided into factions and then types and colors.

Factions:
These form the core of your strategy with each faction having three unique leaders and a unique faction ability with an ability when activated. Neutral cards exist able to be used by every faction, but the majority of cards that synergize are tied to a faction.
• Northern Realms
• Scoia’tel
• Monsters
• Skellige
• Nilfgaard

Types:
• Units: The meat of a deck, these are what have power values that will score to win the round. You can’t win without units!
• Spells: These are special cards that will interact with units, decks, graveyards and sometimes even a player’s hand. They do not score points or remain on the battlefield.
• Leaders: These are static units that you will always have access to. There are currently three leaders per faction and you choose one when you build your deck. Your opponent can see which leader you are and will have an idea of your strategy/capability going into the match. Using your leader ability can happen once per match just like playing a card and acts as a physical unit on the board with power.

Colors:
All cards are either bronze, silver or gold represented by the border surrounding them. Bronze cards can each be 3x per deck maximum and silver and gold are 1x. Additionally, a deck can have a maximum of 6 silver cards and 4 gold cards. You want to have the maximum of silver and gold and the rest be bronze as silver and gold cards are usually more powerful or useful than their counterparts.

Basic Strategy
Over the course of three rounds, you will take turns playing units in the melee/ranged/siege rows of your board and casting spells that interact with units, decks and graveyards. The round will not end until both players pass and once one player passes, the other player may continue to take turns playing cards until they run out. This means Gwent is at its heart about two things: more points on the board and more cards in your hand. Bluffing and deception are key to causing your opponent to over or under commit to a round.

Advanced Strategy
Mulligan and the art of the “Blacklist”
Gwentlemen is pretty good for strategy articles

Beginner Deck Builds
The starter decks are pretty good now in the Open Beta. There are cheap decks on GwentDB as well. You can unlock all leaders and get ore to buy extra packs of card (kegs) by doing the challenges in the interface. Do the challenges!

Other Stuff
GwentDB – decks, card database, forums
r/Gwent – discussion, links to interesting things
Reddit Gwent Megathread - a million interesting and useful links
Gwentify – decklists mostly

GoG friends list (Xbox/PS4 do not have play vs. friends capabilities yet):
Dracil
akajaybay
veteratorian (valiance)
frontovika (Prisca)
Mortified (MortifiedPenguin)

OnTheLastCastle on

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I really like that ciri dash discard deck because I'm a terrible person

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Liiiiiiiiiiiink me to it.

I have been playing Radovid control because it's more interactive than a lot of decks right now. http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/13000-3-9k-radovid-control

I'm using basically this: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/11969-4300-mmr-ciridash-discard

But I've mixed it up a bit. Not using the longships or Triss (Don't have a Triss)

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Gwent gwent gwent gwent gwent....

:) But really this has a ton of potential. But now I have to remake my stuffs. No more Geralt Agni for me so far.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Anyone getting into this, please be aware there will be a FULL WIPE when they go to open beta. But the rewards are quite generous. Any packs you bought will be reopen-able for new stuff and you get packs for leveling and ranking up (ranked mode).

2 per 5 levels and 2 per rank.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Anyone getting into this, please be aware there will be a FULL WIPE when they go to open beta. But the rewards are quite generous. Any packs you bought will be reopen-able for new stuff and you get packs for leveling and ranking up (ranked mode).

2 per 5 levels and 2 per rank.

Plus the pick a rare thing is just a fantastic change to the odds for these online games.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Awesome, I was wondering why there was no Gwent thread here. Playing Monster Consume, I love how much it straight up counters discard decks. Why, thank you for discarding Olgierd with your T1 leader power. I'll keep him for the rest of the game with Caretaker while eating the rest of your graveyard to buff my units. One thing to keep in mind with the budget dwarf deck is it cries against frost bite and d-bomb, both of which a lot of decks seem to run to some extent.

I do have a hard time against monster weather and some elf decks though and the occasional Radovid control locking and then killing my nekker.

Also, from playing Gwent for a week, I think I know why some people find this so refreshing compared to other CCGs. This is like the Euro version of a CCG to the Ameritrash CCGs like MTG or Hearthstone. Less theme, less randomness, and way more about the victory point math engines.

Also, I will say even if most of the decks I encounter fit into half a dozen netdecks, it still feels way more interesting and interactive vs Hearthstone if only because you're always trying to figure out if you should commit more cards into the round or simply pass, and trying to hold onto key cards that you know will wreck your opponent for as long as possible, and then figuring out in what order to play the rest of the cards to minimize opponent score and maximize your own score.

Though to some extent, I do think that if someone put their mind to it, bots would be way more effective than humans at calculating out the math and probabilities involved.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    The amazing thing about gwent is what you hit on... you always get to play all your cards. And the opening new pack choose 3 on the rare card is amazing. Any tips for us fighting consume monsters? When is the best time to disrupt? They usually go nekker then nekker warrior. Not sure how to stop it unless I had a lock effect and removal but they still have time to respond.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I picked Northern Realms because I thought they looked cool, been having a lot of success with them so far. When I get more cards I plan to build a deck with more specific synergies but right now I am just running a generic "good stuffs" build with high value cards, control, and thinning. General plan is to win round 1 one card down or even on cards, and then break back even or get card advantage via Prince Stennis in round 2. And then go into round 3 either even or 1 card up and playing last and essentially brute force them out of the win.

Against consume monsters I pretty aggressively prune the board with damage from ballistas, sile, roche and the like. Especially try to use damage to engineer very strong multi-card scorches.

I'm just a few scraps off of crafting me a Bloody Baron and then I'd like to go for a Round 1 Siege, Round 2 Stennis/Ciri stall, Round 3 golden rez, nenne/shani rez double lubberkin win. But that will take some more support cards, in the meantime Bloody Baron should be a nice 4th gold with Geralt, Roche and Shani for my "good stuffs" deck.

Inquisitor on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Decided to check this out after LifeCoach abandoned HS for this. PITA to get running: had to replace all my microsoft visual libraries manually to get it to run, but once it did I was glad I invested the effort. Pretty addictive.

Scorch might be the best card in the game, the design is just genius: it can hit 1 of your units, 1 of theirs, multiples of yours or theirs, and it can be played around or played into. I think everyone has scorched their own units at least once, or buffed a unit too high with a scorch still in hand. That one card alone got me hooked--it convinced me the game had depth. And when you hit or foil a big scorch nothing feels better.

I'm trying to wait till I get a deck defining legendary or epic from a keg till I choose what faction to roll with permanently but so far no legs.

Got some decent silver epics for NG and SK so those are the factions I'm focusing on, but ST is so effective with just base cards I also made a budget dwarf deck. Got an Old Speartip too so maybe a monster deck if something else for that faction comes along.

Level 12, rank 2 in ranked. Getting frustrated with my lack of progress since I've been saving all my scrap. It's only been a few days, and the dailies are pretty generous, but I'm addicted and I really want to unbox (unkeg?) something cool.

Trying to get people into this but HS/duelyst/other games have a big hold on people. PC/console only doesn't help either. If this was available for phone/tablet I could get a lot more people into it and I'd probably never stop playing.

valiance on
    Geralt Igni is just better than Scorch in most situations, but you have to give up a gold instead of silver slot for it, and you can of course just always run both. Nasty card though.

I ended up melting down all my decks other than NR and NG for scraps, but that's only because I know everything is getting reset come open beta. I wouldn't do that for the card set I'll actually be keeping, but NR seems legendary hungry so I wanted to jump start my deck. Mostly went with NR and NG because humans with pikes and stuff are cooler than silly monsters and elves.

I do wonder how well this game will play with the market at large. It's a pretty simple game, at the core level, but has a lot of subtle complexity. I get a feeling a lot of folks might just bounce off of it.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    I picked Northern Realms because I thought they looked cool, been having a lot of success with them so far. When I get more cards I plan to build a deck with more specific synergies but right now I am just running a generic "good stuffs" build with high value cards, control, and thinning. General plan is to win round 1 one card down or even on cards, and then break back even or get card advantage via Prince Stennis in round 2. And then go into round 3 either even or 1 card up and playing last and essentially brute force them out of the win.

Against consume monsters I pretty aggressively prune the board with damage from ballistas, sile, roche and the like. Especially try to use damage to engineer very strong multi-card scorches.

I'm just a few scraps off of crafting me a Bloody Baron and then I'd like to go for a Round 1 Siege, Round 2 Stennis/Ciri stall, Round 3 golden rez, nenne/shani rez double lubberkin win. But that will take some more support cards, in the meantime Bloody Baron should be a nice 4th gold with Geralt, Roche and Shani for my "good stuffs" deck.

I'd encourage everyone to craft the really good neutral legendaries/epics before they craft the specific faction cards. I've fallen in that trap too many times, but it is closed beta so go for it if you want.

Yennifer: Conjurer
    Ciri (you do get this at level 18 tho)
    King of Beggars

Those are super good. I've been having fun with my Radovid control deck which now that I'm getting better is pretty insane. I often go Nenneke or Shani on King of Beggars, Priscilla, Reaver Scout, Ballistae/Siege Support all in one card. That's a-tempo!

My current list is something like

1x each
    Scorch, First Light, Stennis, Lacerate, Dimetrium Shackles (I almost never use these sigh), Thunder

Bronze standard package of
    3x Ballistae, Kaedwani Siege Support, Temerian Soldier
    2x Reaver Scout

Silver
    Roach, King of Beggars, Nenneke, Priscilla

Gold
    Yennifer, Borkh (dragon with huge name that double scorches), Ciri, Shani

The goal is to win round 1 with overkill, I'll often just drop Yennifer ASAP and my soldiers. Always work to thin the deck as much as possible. Play a gold (not Ciri), play soldier, use reaver, use king of beggars for Priscilla/scout... you want 10 or fewer cards in there.

Round 2 drag it out, you may win but mostly end +3 cards.

Round 3 is easy then.

The golds aren't super critical as long as they are huge impact or card advantage. Borkh is super good though you have to learn not to get in your own way w/ the siege support buffs. Make sure reavers won't be dead draws.

I've learned a lot playing the deck and NR is fun.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    T2O9w8H.jpg

I just crafted a few additional bronzes to make this bad boy; maybe I'll splurge later to replace the inert 10 with the silver mega-Spotter

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it will be reasonably good

Squad goals:
    *Use my leader card with 2 Mangonels out
    *Use Yennefer, or Ocvist, or both to open a must-win, Mangonel-light round
    *Use Aard to line up a good Lacerate or D-Bomb

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    I love the Witcher series & Gwent in general .. but I find the current meta to be quite frustrating, especially against Monster & Skellige.

You're up against either Monster Weather or Skellige discard Decks half the time ..

Do you lose fewer rank points if your internet fails, as opposed to forfeiting or playing to the end?

It's happening a lot in my ranked games, whereas before I don't think I saw it even once

I hit Rank 10! 915 ranking points given, i'm "rank 3" whatever that means.

edited March 2017
    Ugh

I just played basically the same deck, except he drew all his Mangonels and got lucky with turn order, whereas I only drew 1 in round 2

Super frustrating, but oh well

kedinik on
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I think rank 3 is maybe a little above average for people who have just hit level 10? But still a long way away from 15, the max rank

edited March 2017
    I crafted Serrit and Vanhemar, then subbed them in for Ocvist and Fringilla Vigo

I think I might end up missing the tempo control that Ocvist sometimes provides

But probably this is a strong set of changes

kedinik on
    edited March 2017
    The amazing thing about gwent is what you hit on... you always get to play all your cards. And the opening new pack choose 3 on the rare card is amazing. Any tips for us fighting consume monsters? When is the best time to disrupt? They usually go nekker then nekker warrior. Not sure how to stop it unless I had a lock effect and removal but they still have time to respond.

Based on times I've lost or got put in a bad position, cows if I don't have a consume followed by aeromancy hurts. Count the nekkers in my deck just as I do. If I monster nest and you have lacerate that's one of the best times to destroy my engine if I don't have another nekker warrior to add nekkers (this is one of the things I look for in mirror matches). Properly mathing/timing and damaging my units to remove a ton with igni or scorch is also pretty effective along with Yencon to even out numbers and hit a lot of targets. D-bomb wrecks nekkers but be wary about killing off nekkers afterwards as you may just draw some of the buffed up nekkers from the deck. But being able to pull off that D-bomb often requires being able to get card advantage.

Also, don't always assume I will start the nekker engine in the first round. Sometimes I just don't draw any. If this happens the only move I may do is to throw down a crone. Look at the worst case scenario, you go first, throw down something. I throw down crone, you throw down something else that doesn't beat my total. I pass, suddenly you're down a card and lost the round, or you're down 2 cards and win the round, and then lose another card by going first next round. That is an incredibly efficient play for me.

If you're SK, try to spread out the buffs. If you make anything too strong I'll probably try to steal or eat it from the graveyard. If you have strong disloyal units, sort of the same thing. Be wary about using it too early in the game as that gives me more chances of gaining the full value again when a ghoul ends up randomly eating it.

Dracil on
    kedinik wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I think rank 3 is maybe a little above average for people who have just hit level 10? But still a long way away from 15, the max rank

I started out at rank 2 ~580 MMR when I was level 10. Rank 3 started at ~900 MMR. Rank 15 (max) is ~3900 MMR. gain/lose maybe 30-70 MMR per match

Yessss the Bloody Baron is mine.

All mine!

edited March 2017
    I accidentally chose Xbox only for ranked and there is 1 guy who is rank 15 on Xbox and I'm 377 place at rank 4. So few players... I'm hoping more get into it now but I'm sure most are choosing the pc/Xbox pool as I wish I had.

Radivid control is super good and Ive grown a lot playing it. I'll never tire of turn 3 shani > nenneke > king of beggars > Priscilla > random unit oh look I'm ahead a million points

I also had a guy shackles my borkh and instantly I rezzed it round 3. What a fun game!

Also started at rank 3 when I hit level 10. Got to rank 4 in short order and am cruising to 5... winning 80/90% of my matches, I think.

I still don't have a bloody baron... I guess I'd sub him for yennifer or Ciri but ciri is better card advantage.

Shani and Borkh are both very good to me.

OnTheLastCastle on
    edited March 2017
    Man, I feel people get more salty in ranked. I get less GGs when I win in ranked, especially when I wreck their entire deck's strategy in Round 2. Rank 8 losing to Rank 6 probably hurt a lot in terms of points.

Dracil on
    Wow, I was going into last round 3 cards vs 1... he had a 19 point monster guy.

I had Ciri and thunder. I drew stennis as my third card wow not ideal.

So Ciri(+roach) for 11, thunder. That's 18... he plays a 5 guy. So I probably lose. He'll have 23+12 from stennis. I need 18 points in one play...

I go stennis into Shani, res Priscilla, get nenneke, res King of Beggars and get ballistae...

18 and then 5+4+4+3+8 in one play. 42!

He had 19+12.

Yep, I won handily with 1 card in my deck. And that's why northern realms rules.

So I bought 30 kegs and I initially felt so fucked:

2 legendaries: succubus and hjalmar, and I've unkegged none so far from just grinding

and I got 62 fuckin spare cards. 150 new cards and 62 are duplicates? That's 41%+ fuck off.
    I don't have so many of the cards that I should be getting 40% dupes. And then that's not counting me filling in 3 copies of all the other trash commons I hadn't yet had 3 of. So really I went from ~120/343 to 148/343. Not a huge improvement imo.

but thinking about it more not counting a bunch of solid bronzes I guess I got:

NR: Shani, Radovid, John Natalis
    SK: King Bran, Restore, War longship, and Hjalmar
    ST: Zoltan
    NG: Cynthia
    Monsters: Succubus, Caranthir, Frightener

nothing lifechanging. not the core of a deck in any case (besides the 2 new leaders). I think a yen:conjurer or a few of the witchers outweighs everything i unkegged. but I suppose some might be fun or playable.

Shani is so good, so so good.

My favorite thing right now is playing Bloody Baron and spawning the Lubberkin, then having the enemy remove it, and then using Shani bring it back as a gold card.

I feel like such a dick when I do it. But it's so good. I can see why Radovid is rated as such a good leader.

Yeah I didn't know Radovid could nuke Gold cards. Pretty legit.

I now have a bunch of half-made theme decks: reveal NG, spies NG, consume monsters, weather monsters, dwarf ST, mumble mumble NR, discard SK. Still skeletal atm but nice to have the archetypes down.

The only thing my Radovid deck lacks is Bloody Baron and I guess I'd have to ditch yenn for him.... but she wins round 1.

I accidentally chose Xbox only on ranked and there is exactly one guy at rank 15. I'm rank 5 and above 200 on the leaderboard... I fucked up.

The only thing my Radovid deck lacks is Bloody Baron and I guess I'd have to ditch yenn for him.... but she wins round 1.

I accidentally chose Xbox only on ranked and there is exactly one guy at rank 15. I'm rank 5 and above 200 on the leaderboard... I fucked up.

Can you not swap? Are you locked in for the season?

Apparently it's a season lock. Kind of a bummer.

Ah, so Aard inflicts its damage after movement ends and after the new row's weather has been applied

RIP the brave soldiers I could have saved

Ah, so Aard inflicts its damage after movement ends and after the new row's weather has been applied

If they make a weather on a row one back or siege and you're like huh sub optimal

Aard or Drowner

Bloody Baron was super worth the craft. Shani makes lubberkin gold.........

edited March 2017
    Oops double post

OnTheLastCastle on
    edited March 2017

Aard + weather is so fun. This is why my weather monsters crush ST.

per gwentracker the weather monsters deck is 16-4 but that counts some casual games. In any case that's close to right because I don't think I've lost a game all day, and I've finished my 6 round and 12 round dailies. So at least 9-0 on the day. Obamanotbad.jpg

21-19 in ranked. Level 14, rank 4. 1239 MMR

also got my first real dilemma in a keg: Nenneke/Ermion/Vanhemar. Went with Ermion thanks to twitch chat advice but I was torn. I know reveal NG is garbage but I want it to be good damnit! And Nenneke is a NR staple.

valiance on
  • morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    Just got an invite to the beta on Xbox the other day. No idea why, I didn't sign up for it or anything, but played a bit and it seems pretty fun. Right now I'm just working on grinding up to 10 for ranked, and I've only played Monsters so far.

How does grinding for cards go, can you play that way or do you need to buy packs? Are they still tweaking cards and balance? Are there "resets" on the horizon?

Thanks.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
    edited March 2017
    still stuck around ~1200 MMR. been playing some control radovid. crafted bork, priscilla & nenneke, unkegged shani, earned ciri from leveling. So I was running
    gold: geralt/ciri/bork/shani
    silver: nenneke/cleaver/scorch/d bomb/prince stennis/priscilla
    with a bronze core of ballistas, siege supports, and reaver scouts with a few bronze spells for utility

Bought another 15 kegs, got a Ragh nah Roogh but little else of note. Then I unkegged 2 random kegs I got from grinding dailies. First one I got to choose: vernon roche/triss/coral.
    I went with triss because she's neutral but I kinda wish I had gone with vernon since he can one shot yenn:conjurer. Then picked up a bloody baron from the next keg

edit: just got the choice of decoy/imlerith/madman lugos in another keg. 3 random legendaries in the last 2 days. luck is turning around :+1:
    hit 1500 MMR and rank 5

valiance on
    edited March 2017
    1 game from 1900 MMR and rank 7. Crafted Roach and King of Beggars for some more deck thinning and chain combos. Still grinding with control radovid, but man NR feels really lacking.

edit: hit rank 7, 1900+ MMR, 86W-86L got 2 kegs and of course mere hrs after I craft KoB I get offered him in a keg: Iorveth/KoB/kiera metz. Went with Iorveth.

valiance on
    Alright, I'm really gonna need the premium version of this card.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RamshackleDependableSardineJKanStyle

edited March 2017
    2100 MMR, rank 8. The climb continues! At this rate I'll be 15 by next week. :biggrin: Control Radovid is fun again. I'm thinking about crafting a Pavetta for nekker consume monsters when I hit higher ranks and get the scrap.
    I also really wanna try this control ST deck I'm seeing floating around, but I need both an Aglais and a Saskia and maybe an Ocvist so thats a long while away for now.

edit:
    valiance wrote: »
    I also really wanna try this control ST deck I'm seeing floating around, but I need both an Aglais and a Saskia and maybe an Ocvist so thats a long while away for now.

Just unkegged saskia/regis/gravehag, so I guess that control ST deck is one legendary closer

valiance on