As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild] Bokoblin Genocide Simulator

Maz-Maz- 飛べRegistered User regular
This..is the new Legend of Zelda.

cvBTBGv.jpg

*record scratch noise*

Wait, no. Actually, this is it:

5pFsrob.jpg

This new chapter in the Zelda series will expand the boundaries of Hyrule. Previous Zelda games have tried to convey the feeling that you're part of a huge, living world, but this game looks to be the first one to deliver on that promise. Just like A Link Between Worlds, this game will also challenge the tried-and-true conventions of the Zelda series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZmxvig1dXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rPxiXXxftE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDFZIUdo764

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

After a long development process and several delays, the game has finally been released on March 3rd, 2017 worldwide on both Wii U and the Nintendo Switch. In terms of gameplay, both versions are identical, but the Switch version will feature better graphics, a more stable frame rate and a better draw distance.

A number of amiibo will be compatible with the game:

pkIpuk2.jpg

The Wolf Link amiibo, which originally came packaged with Twilight Princess HD, allows you to summon Wolf Link, who will accompany you on your adventure for a while. Wolf Link's health depends on the health you had when you cleared the Cave of Shadows in Twilight Princess HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CfFnLoiLqk

sVsXw26.jpg

The Zelda 30th anniversary amiibo allow you to get various items in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0mG0BOh4-A

Uxgup8A.jpg?1

Finally, five brand new amiibo will be released alongside Breath of the Wild. Their ingame functionality is currently not known.

A number of special editions for the game will also be released - however, only the Switch will get these. If you only own a Wii U, your only option is the standard edition.

PLV58yw.jpg?1

VlPg0nr.jpg?1

rqWI3v8.png?1

The Special and Master editions are being sold in North America while the Limited edition is exclusive to Europe; however, since the Switch is region-free, you could import the other versions.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699

• carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    Haha...
    this image
    5pFsrob.jpg
    So much changed after that now that I played the game...

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    @DemonStacey I went back to the two shrines before bed last night and was able to figure out how to reach the chests. just had to have faith

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Hoo boy. Been all over the map trying to find where thr seed hand in guy moves to.

Upside, I now have fast travel all over the place.

Downside, still havent found him.

Also, I got a second great fairy found so I can do set bonuses! Only one so far is the stealth gear. Not a major bonus on it, but nice. It looks like you can tell what has a set bonus because it'll have an icon for its buffs or whatever? I don't think the basic hylian outfit does anything.

I'm also curious where to find the bottom for the zora outfit, as the chest and head were acquired separately as is, but I have no leads on it.

Also, flying guardians can piss off. Can't stun them with arrows like normal ones AND the whole flying bit means its much harder to break LoS to avoid deathrays. That may be an area I'm not supposed to be in yet... (AKA god I can't wait for the speedruns... SGDQ 18 hype!)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Stalked elk for like an hour until I finally rode one, and then I accidentally dismounted and it ran off

Someone put my mind at ease: you can't stable them, can you?

I wanna get my Mononoke on :(

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Man the shrines are so neat. I really like how it enables them to explore neat puzzle ideas without overstaying their welcome. Just did the one by the second town and the mechanic was very unexpected.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Just want to repeat fro last trial so it doesn't get lost: Can we make sure we're spoilering location strategies. Mount Lanryu gave folks some trouble and they helped the thread out but that (to me at least and small as it may be) is a spoiler in and of itself in regards to how to handle it. That tension of discovery, challenge and triumph is essentially gone. . .and that's a big part of this game.

EDIT: "From last thread. . ." Got Combat Trials on the brain. . .woof.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    I can totally get that myself, but I can understand their reasoning for it doing so - it's a huge mountain, it is in an area with Snowy in it, any other place with mountains (even Mount Hylia from the Plateau) was snowy and cold, so the tips for handling cold weather is just common sense in a way - gonna go tackle a mountain, need to bring things so I don't freeze. Being handed that info isn't fun though, I'm sure. I got told that I needed to go there by someone in game, so I prepared myself before going in the same fashion they talked about. Some people may try to explore without thinking of where they are, but a number of people are going to plan their trips ahead of time once they've been playing a bit.

However, the same thought you're having regarding spoilers is why I have been spoiler tagging anything I find in this game when I post it. I think that sense of discovery is a major part of the game and I don't want to lose that. I think a good way to look at it is to be prepared for the land you're going into. We know from previous games what to expect from Death Mountain and the Geurdo desert... there's a lot more to this place though, but it does try to follow real world conventions. I don't have all the map lore of the previous games memorized, or else finding things would be a lot simpler for me, but I have found that keeping the older games in mind goes a long way in helping you get through the various areas in the game.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Stalked elk for like an hour until I finally rode one, and then I accidentally dismounted and it ran off

Where did you find those elk?

I'd like to give riding them at least a try.

Though from the sound of it, I'd better invest in stealth gear first.

I know I found some north of Kakariko. I didn't stealth. I airdropped. They're easy to get to let you ride but I was nowhere near a stable and just let it go to work some puzzles instead. Can't gallop either, so horses are faster.

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular

That foresty area directly north east of the starting plateau has them. Also the forest next to the stables.

And yea, even with 3 stealth pips they are hard as hell to catch. They have a habit of turning their heads around

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Tooling around in the desert and it turns out the Gerudo just may be the best?
    The "How to Talk to Men" class was an unexpected, but very funny surprise.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    How the fuck do I cook? I have been on this god damn quest to get the old guy's warm tunic for two days now because I can't figure out cooking.

The interaction with the cooking pot isn't happening. I hold some ingredients in my arms. And then I try to put them in the pot. But instead Link just throws them on the ground because he's fucking stupid.

I am getting incredibly frustrated with this game because I'm sure it's something super simple that I'm missing. But I can't figure it out and I've been on this god damn quest for two solid days.

Also - bonus topic. The old man is a liar. He said if I shoot an animal while crouched it should be a one-hit kill. It's not. I shoot the boars and then they run off. And then they despawn. God this game is frustrating. I've been on the starting island for two days because between hunting and cooking I cannot progress the story to save my life, and I know it shouldn't be this hard. But god damn if I am not ready to just quit and go back to Horizon.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    How the fuck do I cook? I have been on this god damn quest to get the old guy's warm tunic for two days now because I can't figure out cooking.

The interaction with the cooking pot isn't happening. I hold some ingredients in my arms. And then I try to put them in the pot. But instead Link just throws them on the ground because he's fucking stupid.

I am getting incredibly frustrated with this game because I'm sure it's something super simple that I'm missing. But I can't figure it out and I've been on this god damn quest for two solid days.

Also - bonus topic. The old man is a liar. He said if I shoot an animal while crouched it should be a one-hit kill. It's not. I shoot the boars and then they run off. And then they despawn. God this game is frustrating. I've been on the starting island for two days because between hunting and cooking I cannot progress the story to save my life, and I know it shouldn't be this hard. But god damn if I am not ready to just quit and go back to Horizon.

You uh, you did light the fire under the cooking pot, right?

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Is there a fire lit under the pot?

There should be a cook prompt when holding ingredients next to a pot.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Is a fire lit under the cooking pot?

Cause you just select edibles in your inventory, adding up to 5, then exit to the game and press action to dump them in the pot.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Polaritie wrote: »

Nope. I didn't know this was a thing.

New question. How do I light a fire under the pot? There isn't a prompt for that either. There's no interaction at all between Link and the pot. He just looks at it, and then throws all his veggies on the ground and my frogs hop away and despawn. Because everything fucking despawns. Jesus what a dumb game.

Polaritie wrote: »

Nope. I didn't know this was a thing.

New question. How do I light a fire under the pot? There isn't a prompt for that either. There's no interaction at all between Link and the pot. He just looks at it, and then throws all his veggies on the ground and my frogs hop away and despawn. Because everything fucking despawns. Jesus what a dumb game.

How would you light the wood under the pot in real life? By setting something on fire and lighting the wood. Fire arrows work, as does finding something made out of wood. . .a torch for instance, and lighting it with that.

I don't think the game is dumb. . .a lot of the world reacts EXACTLY as it should.

Just start a fire. Shoot a fire arrow, set a stick on fire at a bokoblin camp and use it to light other fires etc. There's a bunch of ways.

sig.gif
    Rami wrote: »
    Just start a fire. Shoot a fire arrow, set a stick on fire at a bokoblin camp and use it to light other fires etc. There's a bunch of ways.

If it's the quest I'm thinking of, there are fire sources all over the area. . .unless it's raining.

edited March 2017
    It's fine. I'm just cranky because I can't kill boars because hunting doesn't work like the game told me it does, my frog hopped away, and I had no idea I had to light the cooking pot on fire first because during the tutorial for cooking I did not have to do that, it was already done for me.

And I've lost two days of time, fucking around in the woods. And then I tried to run into the snowy area by eating a spicy pepper, but that didn't fucking work either. Nothing in the game is working as it should.

Plus I've got the dreaded left JoyCon desync issues. And when my left JoyCon isn't desyncing, it still isn't working right. I lose control of the left thumbstick all the goddamn time. Link will just take off in one direction on his own. Or I won't be able to stop running. Or all sorts of other left thumbstick related issues.

I'm sure it's a fine game and I'm sure I'll like it once I get it figured out. But right now literally everything is conspired against me to ruin my Zelda experience and it is pissing me off.

Lucascraft on
    You also don't need to do it. I scared off all the game and was like fuck it I'm gonna chug hot peppers all the way up this mountain.

sig.gif
  • ChasinTheTraneChasinTheTrane Registered User regular
    This conversation on lighting a pot is one of the reasons I'm in love with this game. It's forcing me to turn my brain on and figure out solutions to stuff like that. I kept on dying at one point until I figured out I can use a torch to stay warm. Go figure!

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

No. He said that crouching makes it easier to sneak up on enemies. He also told you that hitting them in the head with an arrow does more damage
    It's fine. I'm just cranky because I can't kill boars because hunting doesn't work like the game told me it does, my frog hopped away, and I had no idea I had to light the cooking pot on fire first because during the tutorial for cooking I did not have to do that, it was already done for me.

And I've lost two days of time, fucking around in the woods. And then I tried to run into the snowy area by eating a spicy pepper, but that didn't fucking work either. Nothing in the game is working as it should.

Plus I've got the dreaded left JoyCon desync issues. And when my left JoyCon isn't desyncing, it still isn't working right. I lose control of the left thumbstick all the goddamn time. Link will just take off in one direction on his own. Or I won't be able to stop running. Or all sorts of other left thumbstick related issues.

I'm sure it's a fine game and I'm sure I'll like it once I get it figured out. But right now literally everything is conspired against me to ruin my Zelda experience and it is pissing me off.

The peppers only boost cold resistance when you use them for cooking. Which is exactly what it says in their description.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    Rami wrote: »
    You also don't need to do it. I scared off all the game and was like fuck it I'm gonna chug hot peppers all the way up this mountain.

Yeah, I tried that too and failed. It has just been one mishap after another and I'm about done.

The spicy peppers aren't doing anything. I've tried them cooked and I've tried them raw, neither gives me enough cold protection to actually move the thermometer out of the cold zone.

I figured out I can cook one ingredient at a time just by throwing it on the ground literally right on top of the fire. That's the best I've been able to do. In two days.

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Huh? The game tells you to crouch down, sneak into range, and shoot them in the head. That's pretty much all there is to hunting in this game.

Everything in the game works either in a way that the game tells you in its tooltip text when you highlight or pick up something, or has a real life analog. Usually both.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

Mblackwell wrote: »

Huh? The game tells you to crouch down, sneak into range, and shoot them in the head. That's pretty much all there is to hunting in this game.

Everything in the game works either in a way that the game tells you in its tooltip text when you highlight or pick up something, or has a real life analog. Usually both.

Nope. That doesn't work. I crouch. I sneak in range. I shoot it in the head. It runs off and despawns. And then I have to wait like 45 minutes for another fucking boar to spawn again because apparently there's only one fucking spawn in the whole god damned woods.

• Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Wanted to tell a Trial story:
    So the shrine on the island off of Hateno beach is a very hard combat trial (I believe it's even in the description), and hoo boy they're not kidding. I only have five hearts because I am stubborn and don't want to turn in my orbs until I really feel like I won't advance if I don't, so the guardian was OHKOing me with almost every attack I took. So in desperation I cashed in my daily allotment of amiibo (the only Zelda ones I don't have are Sheik from Smash and the two BotW Links) and got two 40+ attack power two-handers out of the deal. Not great (two handed weapons aren't my strong suit) but I'll take it. I've got four foods that will refill me in the event an attack doesn't kill me. So I re-entered the shrine and faced the guardian. It still took me several more tries but in the end I learned his patterns and brute forced my way through. I burned up all my arrows, and had a single soldier claymore left, nearly broken, when I lay the guardian to rest. My rewards? One each of max level tek axe, sword, and lance and a pile of guardian parts including the shafts I needed to upgrade my bombs. The chest in there had a climber's shirt to go with my climber's bandana, so now my Link looks like a flamboyant pirate whenever I have a long climb.
    I've been hanging onto the Tek weapons because I am NOT wasting a 60 attack power great axe on some damn bokoblins.
    Just goes to reiterate that the game is very good at letting you do whatever the fuck you want, with enough persistence.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    At some camps and places there are actual pots that lets you combine up to 5 things together to make food with buffs. The first i found was in a random goblin camp. I combined a mushroom and the pepper and made a thing that gave like 3 minutes of cold resist which let me climb the mountain just fine. Finding those cooking pots is kind of a pain though.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Are you sure you're actually hitting the head? A headshot does a very different sound effect than a normal arrow hit. Try it on some Bokoblins to see the difference.

Steam ID: Right here.
    I cooked peppers with mushrooms and the meals gave enough cold res to make it up the mountain in the tattered shirt and shorts you get at the start of the game.

I mean you can't go in the cold water and not freeze to death, but you can make it up on land.

sig.gif
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    There are more, but if there were others close by they are startled and run off.

Shoot them quite literally in the head. Like, in the face. Not next to the head in the neck region or something. Arrows curve in this game too so take that into account. Minor gear spoiler potentially:
    If you haven't, pick up the nicer bow at the camp site near where the old man explains hunting.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

So the shrine on the island off of Hateno beach is a very hard combat trial (I believe it's even in the description), and hoo boy they're not kidding. I only have five hearts because I am stubborn and don't want to turn in my orbs until I really feel like I won't advance if I don't, so the guardian was OHKOing me with almost every attack I took. So in desperation I cashed in my daily allotment of amiibo (the only Zelda ones I don't have are Sheik from Smash and the two BotW Links) and got two 40+ attack power two-handers out of the deal. Not great (two handed weapons aren't my strong suit) but I'll take it. I've got four foods that will refill me in the event an attack doesn't kill me. So I re-entered the shrine and faced the guardian. It still took me several more tries but in the end I learned his patterns and brute forced my way through. I burned up all my arrows, and had a single soldier claymore left, nearly broken, when I lay the guardian to rest. My rewards? One each of max level tek axe, sword, and lance and a pile of guardian parts including the shafts I needed to upgrade my bombs. The chest in there had a climber's shirt to go with my climber's bandana, so now my Link looks like a flamboyant pirate whenever I have a long climb.
    I've been hanging onto the Tek weapons because I am NOT wasting a 60 attack power great axe on some damn bokoblins.
    Just goes to reiterate that the game is very good at letting you do whatever the fuck you want, with enough persistence.

Those pillars had a use. Hopefully you used them. I didn't complete the trial, because I could see my weapons weren't doing much damage and just decided to hold off, but yea there's a clear way they want you to do that one.

• Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

Those pillars had a use. Hopefully you used them. I didn't complete the trial, because I could see my weapons weren't doing much damage and just decided to hold off, but yea there's a clear way they want you to do that one.
    He did a spinny charge thing and it would knock him out for a few seconds when he'd run into one, definitely took advantage of that. Didn't make my flimsy ass swords last any longer doing actual damage to him. Was there another use?

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Also, on the mountain thing, in fairness, I also didn't actually learn to cook until I left the plateau. I just tanked my way up the mountain through determination and guzzling down apples and other food like some Elder Scrolls mutant.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My TV broke this morning while I was booting up my Switch.

I am glad I have a Switch right now. *keeps playing*

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular

I'm sorry, but this amuses me greatly. It feels like games have become so dumbed down that we have to start learning to walk again!

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I had a fun thing last night. Just goofin around spoiler, but not safe than sorry.
    was running around and saw an enemy camp on the other side of the river. Getting ready to swim across to kill them, but right before I did, I saw a big pile of explosive barrels on my side. I remembered seeing a tip that stasis barrels don't explode until they land, so I figured I'd give it a try. I launched then barrel across the river and perfectly nailed it into the middle of the camp, it exploded, and killed all of them except the archer on a guard tower. It was amazing.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    carmofin wrote: »

I'm sorry, but this amuses me greatly. It feels like games have become so dumbed down that we have to start learning to walk again!

I'm glad that my frustration and bewilderment are amusing for you.

But seriously. This has nothing to do with the difficulty of the game. This has to do with me feeling like the game tries to teach me something but then when I try to put it in practice, it doesn't work the way they told me it should. Like the cooking thing. Mechanically, I was doing everything right. Stand next to cooking pot. Open inventory. Gather things in my arms. Close inventory. Drop them in pot.

But somehow the part about lighting the fire went right past me or something. Or else they didn't say that part. I swear the first pot where the old man teaches you to cook was already lit. I know *I* never lit a pot in the tutorial.

So I just keep throwing my mushrooms, chili peppers, and frogs on the ground over and over and over. I probably can tell you where every cooking pot on the starter island is located. I have tried them all.

This isn't amusing. It's frustrating as fuck to miss some small detail and waste TWO FUCKING DAYS of playtime because of it.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Mblackwell wrote: »

Nope. That doesn't work. I crouch. I sneak in range. I shoot it in the head. It runs off and despawns. And then I have to wait like 45 minutes for another fucking boar to spawn again because apparently there's only one fucking spawn in the whole god damned woods.

Yes it does. I know you're frustrated, but your issues are your own here.

- Get a headshot. You don't need to be so close that it can run off
    - the old man tells you how to light the fire and cook at his camp in the woods. When in doubt, talk to people for hints.
    - cold resistance boosts don't lower the gauge needle, they lower the 'too cold' point on it. In other words, the needle shows you the temperature you're in and the blue section is what you feel is "too cold". Other clothing and edibles lower that blue section.

And for the last item in the stir fry, since I can forsee your frustration rising out of not thinking of the obviois...
    Talk to the man after finding raw meat. He will tell you where to go to find the last item. Although the diary telling you the name of the recipe should have been a giveaway, talking to him tells you exactly where that ingredient is.

And you don't need a...
    fishing pole. At least not for now. Just jump in and gram em.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment