As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild] Bokoblin Genocide Simulator

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    carmofin wrote: »
    It's fine. I'm just cranky because I can't kill boars because hunting doesn't work like the game told me it does, my frog hopped away, and I had no idea I had to light the cooking pot on fire first because during the tutorial for cooking I did not have to do that, it was already done for me.

And I've lost two days of time, fucking around in the woods. And then I tried to run into the snowy area by eating a spicy pepper, but that didn't fucking work either. Nothing in the game is working as it should.

I'm sorry, but this amuses me greatly. It feels like games have become so dumbed down that we have to start learning to walk again!

I'm glad that my frustration and bewilderment are amusing for you.

But seriously. This has nothing to do with the difficulty of the game. This has to do with me feeling like the game tries to teach me something but then when I try to put it in practice, it doesn't work the way they told me it should. Like the cooking thing. Mechanically, I was doing everything right. Stand next to cooking pot. Open inventory. Gather things in my arms. Close inventory. Drop them in pot.

But somehow the part about lighting the fire went right past me or something. Or else they didn't say that part. I swear the first pot where the old man teaches you to cook was already lit. I know *I* never lit a pot in the tutorial.

So I just keep throwing my mushrooms, chili peppers, and frogs on the ground over and over and over. I probably can tell you where every cooking pot on the starter island is located. I have tried them all.

This isn't amusing. It's frustrating as fuck to miss some small detail and waste TWO FUCKING DAYS of playtime because of it.

Nah, you missed it. He literally tells you to take a torch (which is leaning against a log), light it at the campfire (which is right beside that) and then light the cooking pot fire.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Don't forget my JoyCon issues. Half the time I'm not even controlling Link. Half the time he's running around in a circle, or standing still and refuses to move. Or running in a direction long after I have stopped pushing in that direction. Or my game freezing and telling me to reconnect my controller.

It isn't just one thing. It's a whole combination of things and I am frustrated beyond measure with the whole experience.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Plus I've got the dreaded left JoyCon desync issues. And when my left JoyCon isn't desyncing, it still isn't working right. I lose control of the left thumbstick all the goddamn time. Link will just take off in one direction on his own. Or I won't be able to stop running. Or all sorts of other left thumbstick related issues.

OMG is this a thing? I thought I was going nuts. I'm like 6 feet from my dock so it's not a distance thing but I keep losing control of Link and it's annoying as hell.

*edit*
    It's not near my access point and I'm afraid of deep water so no aquariums in this house.

SeñorAmor on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    It's fine. I'm just cranky because I can't kill boars because hunting doesn't work like the game told me it does, my frog hopped away, and I had no idea I had to light the cooking pot on fire first because during the tutorial for cooking I did not have to do that, it was already done for me.

And I've lost two days of time, fucking around in the woods. And then I tried to run into the snowy area by eating a spicy pepper, but that didn't fucking work either. Nothing in the game is working as it should.

I'm sorry, but this amuses me greatly. It feels like games have become so dumbed down that we have to start learning to walk again!

It's pretty funny come on. I was reading your cooking woes and imagined someone having that frustration in real life. . .
    But seriously. This has nothing to do with the difficulty of the game. This has to do with me feeling like the game tries to teach me something but then when I try to put it in practice, it doesn't work the way they told me it should. Like the cooking thing. Mechanically, I was doing everything right. Stand next to cooking pot. Open inventory. Gather things in my arms. Close inventory. Drop them in pot.

But somehow the part about lighting the fire went right past me or something. Or else they didn't say that part. I swear the first pot where the old man teaches you to cook was already lit. I know *I* never lit a pot in the tutorial.

So I just keep throwing my mushrooms, chili peppers, and frogs on the ground over and over and over. I probably can tell you where every cooking pot on the starter island is located. I have tried them all.

This isn't amusing. It's frustrating as fuck to miss some small detail and waste TWO FUCKING DAYS of playtime because of it.

It was lit, and if this frustrating point was the first time you'd try to cook then I can see wondering why the COOK prompt isn't coming up. I tried to cook when it was raining and then realized what you now realize. However I feel like the game does try to tell you in other ways that things work exactly as you'd expect them to (swinging a wooden item through fire for example, or hitting dry grass with a thing on fire).
    Figgy wrote: »

Nah, you missed it. He literally tells you to take a torch (which is leaning against a log), light it at the campfire (which is right beside that) and then light the cooking pot fire.

I'm pretty sure that's when you meet him at his hut, not the beginning of the game.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Don't forget my JoyCon issues. Half the time I'm not even controlling Link. Half the time he's running around in a circle, or standing still and refuses to move. Or running in a direction long after I have stopped pushing in that direction. Or my game freezing and telling me to reconnect my controller.

It isn't just one thing. It's a whole combination of things and I am frustrated beyond measure with the whole experience.

Yes, that sucks, but that doesn't mean the game design is stupid. That means there is a launch issue with some hardware. Which really fucking sucks.

I would call where you bought it and explain. When that happened to me with the Wii I convinced BestBuy to hold back a unit on their next shipment so I could exchange. I didn't want to wait forever for Nintendo to fix it.

Have you also tried calling Nintendo support? They may just send you new joycons and have you mail those ones back. That is, if it's a joycon issue and not the console.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    @carmofin What are the Diamonds used for? I got two burning a hole in my pocket and really want that stealth armor

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    On making money:
    Go hunting. Gather at least 5 of any type of meat, including fish. Cook 5 of the same meat to make a skewer. Sell skewers for 120-210 a pop. Hylian shrooms work too. Haven't tried other shrooms, veggies, or things like crabs.

• Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Edit: wrong thread.
    Yay Zeldas!

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    @carmofin What are the Diamonds used for? I got two burning a hole in my pocket and really want that stealth armor
    Making and upgrading a guardian resitent accessory, as well as forging the zora spear

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Oh god, the Slate is upgraded.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    ED! wrote: »

It's pretty funny come on. I was reading your cooking woes and imagined someone having that frustration in real life. . .

It was lit, and if this frustrating point was the first time you'd try to cook then I can see wondering why the COOK prompt isn't coming up. I tried to cook when it was raining and then realized what you now realize. However I feel like the game does try to tell you in other ways that things work exactly as you'd expect them to (swinging a wooden item through fire for example, or hitting dry grass with a thing on fire).
    Figgy wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that's when you meet him at his hut, not the beginning of the game.

When you meet him at the hut he tells you how to cook on the already-lit pot. When you meet him in the woods, when the pot is no longer lit, he tells you how to light it.

But yes, this Zelda is far less hand-holdy than others have been.... at least the most "recent" few installments. And I love it. It's not an elitist thing, it's just more of an exploration/discovery/reward thing. If I can't figure something out, I'll Google it, but I enjoy trying new things, searching around the area for some kind of hint, etc.

When I first met a Guardian..
    I tried a bunch of ways to kill it before Googling it and finding out... just leave. And I wasn't furstrated. That's fine. I don't want the game to show a popup saying "You can't kill this guy yet."

I'm hoping this is a signal of things to come for Nintendo and some of their third-party games. I think they are realizing that people with a soft spot for their IP are now in their late 20s and 30s. Stop dumbing down your games.

Their next Mario Party is going to include permanent death. In real life.

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    I'm of two minds. I get a bit impatient nowadays (which makes it hard to resist asking for help), so sometimes I do get frustrated when things aren't properly explained. But then I think about it more and I realize everything in the game revolves around experimentation. From exploration, puzzles and combat. Trial and error. There are no more dungeons that revolve around a single item. There are often multiple ways to solve a puzzle or beat a monster. Nothing is impossible when it comes to exploring the lands. If you happen to fail, there's no one to blame but yourself.

As Russel Crowe once poetically said: "They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."

V0Gug2h.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Plus I've got the dreaded left JoyCon desync issues. And when my left JoyCon isn't desyncing, it still isn't working right. I lose control of the left thumbstick all the goddamn time. Link will just take off in one direction on his own. Or I won't be able to stop running. Or all sorts of other left thumbstick related issues.

I'm sure it's a fine game and I'm sure I'll like it once I get it figured out. But right now literally everything is conspired against me to ruin my Zelda experience and it is pissing me off.

As for this part... the description of the pepper specifically says if you COOK it with something it can give cold resist. So yea, that's definitely working as it should. You just missed it.

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    I think there should be a "repeat recipe" option for cooking. Like, if I put a beetle and some monster parts in a pot and I still have more, there should be a button to just do it again and spare me going through the menu's.

Also the sensor should have a volume/ mute option. Its a bit too annoying but I like the utility.

My only complaints for a game I am really enjoying.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Damn phone had me looking at the wrong thread, leading to much confusion. :(

It's been interesting. Given how far into the game I am now, I don't feel bad watching the Game Grumps play through of it.. you know, until it gets to part 550 because they insist on doing 15 minute play periods.

They moved quickly through a tutorial section, and as a result Arin never realized how to fast-switch weapons. Yet he DID catch the bit on switching runes. So here he is, going into the menus to switch weapons. I have to assume he's playing on the joy-cons, because I keep accidentally hitting the wrong direction on the D-pad all the damned time.

And no, he hasn't noticed the icon in the upper-left yet that maps the D-pad to quick-select icons.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm curious what carries over between deaths. I had a shrine where I blew through most of my best equipment before dying off and having it all restored, but I've also definitely thrown down some markers and picked up materials that stuck with me between resets. Environmental changes that caused me to die usually don't last.

It seems like a generous setup but it's not clear exactly how it decides.

Also this rain storm doesn't seem to be letting up, guess I better find a new angle on this mountain.

Edit: And my fancy boomerang just whizzed past my head to go plummeting into a river way down below.

OneAngryPossum on
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Speaking of trekking into the starter mountains, you can carry a lit torch and it keeps you warm enough as well. Did that before I figured other options out.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    how does a lit torch last though?

YL9WnCY.png
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    how does a lit torch last though?

I've never had a torch burn up in this game. Wooden weapons will lose durability when lit on fire, but torches seem to last forever.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The game says that a torch will stay lit forever (or until you holster it). But I've also wondered if a club on fire reduces its durability.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've had weapons destroyed by fire attacks so I can confirm it does!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Every time I die in this, I can't help but think of @Knight_ 's avatar for some reason.
    Falls off tower. Dead.
    Blown up by own bomb that Bokoblin kicked back at me. Dead.
    Drowned after trying to climb wet cliff in the rain. Dead.
    Met first Guardian. Dead.
    Hit by lightning whilst running through a marsh. Suuuupeeer dead! :biggrin:
    pBRSL2LV8W16S.gif

Every death teaches you something, and you really do sometimes 'learn by failing'.
    It's a bit of a Dark-souls-esque 'tough love' attitude, (yet with a sense of respect), towards the player.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Could someone tell me what the small circles of stone in water are? I keep seeing them, thinking I need to dive in or throw something in them, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Could someone tell me what the small circles of stone in water are? I keep seeing them, thinking I need to dive in or throw something in them, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
    I haven't tried it personally, but I saw in a video that you can dive into them for a korok seed. Probably has to be an official "jump off a cliff into a dive animation" thing and not simply falling into it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I haven't tried it personally, but I saw in a video that you can dive into them for a korok seed. Probably has to be an official "jump off a cliff into a dive animation" thing and not simply falling into it.
    I've thrown a rock into one of them. I think each one is specific as to what you need to do to get the korok seed.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I've been trying to complete the "Stranded on Eventide" mission for about four hours now. You have to clear the whole thing without dying. I was so close this last time but blew myself up with an exploding barrel.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    So am I supposed to just ignore the quest to get the raw meat (presumably from the boars) and use a different method to get to the 3rd shrine in the cold (torch, is what I've read above)? I can't count the number of times I've hit one of those stupid things smack in the forehead with an arrow only to have it run away. The lack of them is really starting to piss me off as it's a 20 minute trek before another one pops up.

I really hate this game so far. The starter area for a game shouldn't be so damn hard, especially for a Zelda game and especially since it's a Zelda game like no other fucking Zelda game before it.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    At some camps and places there are actual pots that lets you combine up to 5 things together to make food with buffs. The first i found was in a random goblin camp. I combined a mushroom and the pepper and made a thing that gave like 3 minutes of cold resist which let me climb the mountain just fine. Finding those cooking pots is kind of a pain though.

Which is why I'm marking them on my map with the handy cooking stamp :D

Wish I could add notes to the stamps, though.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    So am I supposed to just ignore the quest to get the raw meat (presumably from the boars) and use a different method to get to the 3rd shrine in the cold (torch, is what I've read above)? I can't count the number of times I've hit one of those stupid things smack in the forehead with an arrow only to have it run away. The lack of them is really starting to piss me off as it's a 20 minute trek before another one pops up.

I really hate this game so far. The starter area for a game shouldn't be so damn hard, especially for a Zelda game and especially since it's a Zelda game like no other fucking Zelda game before it.

You can also just cook regular food with cold resist. Cooking that particular meal is just to get the doublet early to get through there. Just mix hot peppers with whatever you want and get cold resist food. Or the torch. There's multiple ways to do everything. There's not a really a "what you're supposed to do"

Plus because it's different is exactly why the beginning NEEDS to be like it is. It has to get the point across of experimentation right off that bat. It's not hard once you start playing that way and that's what it wants to teach you.

DemonStacey on
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Ahahaha what a dumb thing
    i ran across a shrine that I clearly shouldn't be in at my current point in the game that was "a modest test of strength" with a little guardian robot. First try I used all my weapons on it, they broke, and it still had like 80% hp. I died.

I ain't giving up that easy, so I decided to throw a thousand bombs at it. I think I probably threw 100 or more at it before it went into a laser spam mode. Used all of my weapons again and just barely killed it and finished the shrine. I got a 45 damage axe when my highest weapon so far has been 16, and a 26 damage bow when my highest was 15. This game is great

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yeah those things can chew through weapons. My own fault though. I stumbled across 2/3s of a set and figured I might as well complete it so I looked up the last piece. What I get for cheating.

Used up not only all my weapons (granted I didn't have any good ones at the time) my regular arrows and had to resort to my bomb arrows to finish it despite gulping down attack up food.

Quick question on fairys.
    Is there a limit to how many you carry? Farming them from the shrine seems easy and having a bunch of extra lives feels a little cheap. Might just limit myself, got to admit they came in handy for the above trial.

Road Block on
  • Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I ended up spending a throwing spear on a boar to get that raw meat. Melee or arrows weren't doing the trick for me either.

Speaking of arrows:
    (Plateau stuff)
    I saw some mention somewhere of folks attempting to fight that guardian thing at the bomb shrine with bomb arrows before leaving the plateau? I never saw those. What'd I miss?

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I ended up spending a throwing spear on a boar to get that raw meat. Melee or arrows weren't doing the trick for me either.

Speaking of arrows:
    (Plateau stuff)
    I saw some mention somewhere of folks attempting to fight that guardian thing at the bomb shrine with bomb arrows before leaving the plateau? I never saw those. What'd I miss?
    I think I got bomb arrows from bokoblin camp chests

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Just had a particularly nightmarish enemy blow my mind. I was keeping rocks between us because it kept lobbing arrows nonstop. It shot one straight up in the air, I thought I'd bugged out the geometry, stopped to rebuild my stamina.

The arrow fell right on my head.

This is the best.

edited March 2017
    Turambar wrote: »
    Speaking of arrows:
    (Plateau stuff)
    I think I got bomb arrows from bokoblin camp chests
    I thought I checked all of those. Hrmph. Any idea which one?

Ark Evensong on
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Boko bows are pretty bad, Kind of a waste to use arrows on them. (Unless your using the arrow to set off a bomb with a fire arrow or cut a rope or something)

on your spoiler:
    I think there is some behind a wooden barricade you can cut down near a bokoblin camp. Handy to have but you'll come across more. Also fighting guardians early on is probably not worth it.

Didn't think so, but I'm quite a ways past the Plateau and only just stumbled upon some. I'm sure I'll revisit the Plateau at some point. No way I found everything there yet.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    The thing that makes this Zelda game so great is that it plays like a modern survival game, that genre that's gained so much popularity in recent years (not without good reason), and yet foregoes all the bullshit that developers seem to think are essential to the genre.

- You don't have to eat or drink constantly to stave off starvation and dehydration
    - You don't have to sleep constantly, or "purge corruption" or any other weird meters to deal with other than temperature
    - Raw food doesn't spoil, cooked food doesn't spoil
    - There is plenty to collect in the world, but there's definitely a focus on ACTION and physics rather than gathering
    - Things you do cook or craft have reasonable item requirements, like 5 commonly found ingredients for a generous heal and buff, no "150 leather to make one little saddle"

As a result the only stress you feel in game is the stress YOU decide to undergo by deciding to enter combat. No time limits. No "I'll take the entire in-game day gathering to restock on the basics before I can actually progress."

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I've been trying to complete the "Stranded on Eventide" mission for about four hours now. You have to clear the whole thing without dying. I was so close this last time but blew myself up with an exploding barrel.

I spent my afternoon doing that as well. I died many times before I finally got it. Spoilers for how I did it:
    When you spawn, head right to the camp on the beach and get some basic weapons. Immediately skip to nighttime at the fire to avoid the lightning storm. Then go pick the 12 mighty bananas, you'll need them for cooking later. Head over to the bokoblin camp treehouse with the first ball and dispose of them, make sure to get a few arrows, you'll need them. Go put the first ball in the water area using cryosis.

Once you're done with the first ball, go up the small mountain with the 4 fire barrels and clear out the enemies there. You can use the electric jellies to shock them all. Do not blow up the barrels. Use the pot here to cook a ton of meals, make sure to cook two 5 banana foods for yourself. If you found the spiky ball fruit, you can make a meal that gives you 5+ extra hearts which will make taking out the enemies on the top of the mountain much easier.

Go to the top of the mountain at night. Sneak around and assassinate all of the small bokoblins, and then sneak attack the small blue bokoblin to mostly kill him. The only enemies left should be an archer lookout and the big blue moblin, who can one shot you easily. This guy might break all of your weapons, so be careful with him. Feel free to use one of your 5 banana foods to kill him faster. Do the second ball and make sure to loot the chest and get the 26 power sword. There's also a 16 power sword that the blue bokoblin was using.

Once you're done, go back to the small mountain and wake up the giant by rolling the boulders at him. He should start walking up the ramp toward you, so throw the fire barrels at him until you run out. Once you run out, use your 5 banana food to buff your attack, and walk in front of him in melee range. He should either roar at you so you can shoot his eye, or he will try to smush you with his hands. Backflip away and once he tries to smush you, you should have a shot at his eye. Once you hit his eye, he falls over and you can do a combo. Rinse, repeat, done.

I only have such a refined strategy because it took me like 20 deaths to clear that stupid island :P

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Timeline speculation
    (spoilers for some main story stuff)
    Based on the whole backstory told to you by the king when you leave the plateau, I'd already assumed that this game takes place after (waaay after) Twilight Princess on the Child Link timeline. Because of the state Hyrule is in in the Adult Link timeline, there was no way Breath of the Wild can take place anywhere (anywhen?) on there. The Fallen Hero timeline is kind of a mess anyway, though I guess it could theoretically take place at the end of that one.

However, I just found another memory and in it, Zelda was talking about the Master Sword being "skyward bound, adrift in time and steeped in the embers of twilight". Pretty obvious hint.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699