As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wrestlingmania] the ultimate somethingsomethingmumblemumble

• CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Eli Drake said in an interview that wrestling should have credits (ex. "Shawn Spears as Eli Drake"), and that is a thing I'm genuinely curious to hear people's takes on here.

Honestly, I agree. I think it's really bizarre that we only ever refer to wrestlers by their character name, especially in instances when they don't own that name (ie most of the WWE roster). I mean, if I wanted to talk about Ryan Reynolds, nobody would think it's disrespectful or smarkish for me to call him Ryan Reynolds and not Deadpool.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Well that's because Ryan Reynolds is an actor that plays characters in movies or TV shows, whereas The Big Red Monster, KANE is a real person who is the bastard son of Paul Bearer an The Undertaker's mom.

Also The Undertaker and KANE have supernatural powers, while Ryan Reynolds does not (unless you count being a handsome and funny Canadian a superpower)

• Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Maybe they just come back as the Hardy Boyz for a few months, get a few PPV paydays and then go back and Matt banks on independent circuit.

I know WWE doesn't really care about negative or positive crowd reactions anymore but boy oh boy will it be negative if Matt and Jeff show up as Team Xtreme and not Broken, with Matt being 42 and Jeff being near 40.

I know Attitude Era nostalgia trumps all today but yeesh.

I don't know man, is that true? I'm really not super-convinced that the majority of the WWE audience knows anything about the Broken gimmick or even that the Hardys are still around.

Like, if they were to debut at the post-Wrestlemania Raw with its huge number of hardcore discuss-wrestling-on-the-internet fans then yeah.

But a random Raw crowd, like the one in Green Bay last week (I think)? I'd be shocked if they had any idea what was going on with the Broken Hardys.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    You're not entirely wrong but there have been noticable DELETE chants at lots of venues and the Hardys have had a much wider ranging impact than, well, Impact itself.

Like every major pop culture site that covers wrestling was all about that shit.

Audiences are getting more and more aware, even the casual ones, and while that doesn't mean you can just shove an Indy darling in front of the Raw crowd and make it work, stuff like the Broken Hardys are absolutely within the realm of general knowledge for a large chunk of the audience

CYpGAPn.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm still not entirely sure what the Broken Hardys thing is

I saw an OSW Review where Matt was riding around on a lawnmower

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Wait.

Why has no one done Disney Princesses as wrestler's again?

Cinderella's the Triple H of that Fed HANDS DOWN.

Transporter on
  • HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    Well WVGCW exists, that's as close as it can get

• Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    You're not entirely wrong but there have been noticable DELETE chants at lots of venues and the Hardys have had a much wider ranging impact than, well, Impact itself.

Like every major pop culture site that covers wrestling was all about that shit.

Audiences are getting more and more aware, even the casual ones, and while that doesn't mean you can just shove an Indy darling in front of the Raw crowd and make it work, stuff like the Broken Hardys are absolutely within the realm of general knowledge for a large chunk of the audience

Fair enough. I'm not entirely convinced it would work, but I also acknowledge that may be a personal bias/disconnect on my part.

The Broken stuff does not land for me at ALL. I don't get it, I'm not entertained by it, and it's something that would make me change the channel on Raw or Smackdown. But I also know not everything has to be for me, so if it gets over, awesome, more people having fun watching wrestling.

It might also be that I'm in my later 30's and engaging social media outside of basic Facebook stuff isn't really something my social circle does or understands, so I may be missing a big part of this.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm still not entirely sure what the Broken Hardys thing is

I saw an OSW Review where Matt was riding around on a lawnmower

okay so

During a feud the Hardys had in TNA, in an episode that aired in April an I Quit match ended with Jeff doing a big Swanton off a platform through a table I think, both got hurt, and Matt was taken out on a stretcher crying

Jeff healed quick because drugs. He was close to getting the world title soon after (Matt being his only obstacle) but was attacked by Willow, his creation. When he tried to take out Willow a month after the I Quit match, he was stopped by 2 more Willows. One of the three unmasked to reveal Matt, hair bleached and talking in that accent, saying Jeff broke him and now he only wishes to delete him

Said deletion occurred on Final Deletion in July, where Jeff lost his name and brand at the Hardy compound (lawnmower, lawn, house, ridiculous stuff all around all being stuff the Hardys genuinely do own and decided to film matches and later episodes in and around because it was cheaper and they thought it was fun). Jeff now being Brother Nero, he was at first hesitant to help Matt, then became more and more grateful until he eventually was pardoned (for one night only) from being a spot monkey by Matt to sacrifice himself doing another high Swanton, winning them the tag titles in the process. I believe the match they did it in was Delete or Decay, another classic that had Jeff debuting his Itchweeed character, and the lake of regeneration (containing magic water that was able to revert wrestlers back to characters they played years before) transferring to a bucket for one night only.

They held the titles the rest of their time in TNA. Only noteworthy stuff was in the time between that and them having the belts vacated at a taping, the DCC (a trio composed of Eddie Kingston, James Storm, and Bram): Debuted, Attacked the Hardys, Gave Matt amnesia, Watched him struck by lightning and regain his memory, Lost to the Hardys, Lost to everybody else, Lost to themselves, Saw Storm split off and become a cowboy again, Broke up after Storm superkicked them both

Now for at least one week they're in ROH and tag champs. Physically still have the TNA tag titles because TNA refused their request to appear without contract and drop them at a taping

Highly recommend watching Final Deletion and Delete or Decay if able, also recommend Total Nonstop Deletion, which was the final episode of 2016 and was completely held at the Hardy compound. Highlights included Hornswoggle's debut and betrayal of Spud, Lashley and Eddie Edwards fighting out to the outside of the building during their title match and proceeding to be randomly spotted continuing to fight off in the distance for the following hour of the episode, Matt just leaving a member of the Rock and Roll Express on a raised forklift, a volcano eruption, Gregory Helms touching the Lake and going back to the Hurricane while his partners touched it and acted like 3 Count for no earthly reason, and the whole 45+ minute tag title apocalypto main event ending in Matt's wife announcing her pregnancy

Sweeney Tom on
    My picks:
    Goldberg over Owens, 3-5 minutes

Bayley over Charlotte, pinfall

Anderson over Enzo

Neville over Gallagher

Strowman over Reigns

Samoa over Sami

Banks over Jax, runs longer than Goldberg/Owens

One title change

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    oh nooooo I somehow hit '4 or more' title changes before submitting my sheet for the ppv

dang. shit happens.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Basically it started bananas, went even more bananas, and ended fully bananas

If nothing else, it's made Jeff Hardy openly look like he's having the time of his life and loving wrestling again. Really hard for me to not praise it fully for that alone, even excluding absolutely every other amazing thing featured

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Hardys have gone full suburban cyber goths

and it's amazing

My picks:

Anderson over Enzo

Neville over Gallagher

Strowman over Reigns

Samoa over Sami

One title change

I'm with you on everything except the first 2 and I fully expect to get that wrong

Variable wrote: »
    My picks:

Anderson over Enzo

Neville over Gallagher

Strowman over Reigns

Samoa over Sami

One title change

I'm with you on everything except the first 2 and I fully expect to get that wrong

Oh I stopped voting with my heart long ago

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Hahaha probable Fastlane Spoilers
    Amazon UK posted the cover art for the Fast lane/Elimination Chamber blu-ray and the Fastlane part features Goldberg, Brock and Undertaker

CYpGAPn.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »

did someone say redneck

The Stone Cold Steve Austin Beer Tosser is A+
    I wonder how much practice went into that

I'm pretty sure it was just a random ring guy who somehow happened to be incredibly good at it. Let me see...

http://www.foxsports.com/wwe/story/steve-austin-drinking-beer-in-the-ring-121316

I can't find the other story right now, but I'm pretty sure they bring the exact same guy back whenever he shows up at WM or something.

uyvfOQy.png
    Dave confirmed ROH gave the Hardys creative control and they're extremely happy about it

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dave confirmed ROH gave the Hardys creative control and they're extremely happy about it

Probably for the best the Hardys don't come back to WWE.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular

Now somebody get me this exact thing but when the Sting mask comes off it reveals a Ciclope mask.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Amazon UK posted the cover art for the Fast lane/Elimination Chamber blu-ray and the Fastlane part features Goldberg, Brock and Undertaker

l
    o
    l

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

l
    o
    l
    I am totally cool with this is if it concentrates all of the part-timers in one match.

I think my Network sub ended already, but I'm not too concerned. I can't think of a single Fastlane match I actually want to watch.

uyvfOQy.png
    Neville Gallagher and Joe Sammy should deliver

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I think my Network sub ended already, but I'm not too concerned. I can't think of a single Fastlane match I actually want to watch.

It;s been a nothing PPV since it started, that every match is probably going to end the way you think it will doesn't help.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    gotta see goldberg become champ

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Guys I went on holiday and discovered that CM Punk now works on a farm near Brighton, England.
    That or he has an identical English twin.

I already saw Sami and Joe at that house show, so I've got that one covered.

uyvfOQy.png
    Yeah, the only things I'm bummed about missing in Fastlane are Joe/Sami and Gallagher/Neville. I'll catch it when I reup for Mania.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I'm looking forward to Roman v Braun. Souls be a pretty good HOSS BATTEL!

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    GaryO wrote: »
    Guys I went on holiday and discovered that CM Punk now works on a farm near Brighton, England.

If he has the coca cola logo on one arm, it might be his evil English twin.

I'm looking forward to Roman v Braun. Souls be a pretty good HOSS BATTEL!

KAIJU BIG BOYS BATTEL

Attack Pro raised over $5k for Cavendish during their Kris Travis Tag Invitational Tournament. So at least one company did the right thing

• CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »

If he has the coca cola logo on one arm, it might be his evil English twin.

Punk has a Cobra tattoo on the other arm. Pretty sure he is the evil twin.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Not long now. Will good prevail, or will a 50 year old nostalgia act squash one of the top guys in WWE? I expect this post to have like 600 replies for me to sift through by morning.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Not long now. Will good prevail, or will a 50 year old nostalgia act squash one of the top guys in WWE? I expect this post to have like 600 replies for me to sift through by morning.

I hope Owens gets speared and jackhammered for like 5 minutes straight. Sonuvabitch must pay for his crimes against friendship.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
This discussion has been closed.