As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Switch (NX)

13»

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Got mine on midnight launch at BestBuy. Played a bit ot Zelda, so good. Have to try more games at Nintendo booth next week :) Will definitely not take it to Pax though. After years of DS then 3DS clamshell design, this thing looks fragile in comparison. Will be bringing my 3DS with me next week.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    acaraba2 wrote: »
    So I pick up my Nintendo Switch from Gamestop and Zelda Master Edition from Best Buy at Midnight launch. It seem my local best buy had about 30-40 for walk-ins and sold about half them at Midnight release. Gamestop only had 3 for walk-ins.

Local Best Buy had 60, GS had 17, Target had 13.

Meanwhile, all my stuff is on a truck heading here today.

Soon... soon....

erdub14zr3u2.png

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    To clarify for everyone, please do not buy/sell store merch on these forums, even as a way to help others.

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Picked mine up from GameStop as well, they had none for walkins. The manager was nervously walking the line to make sure everyone had a preorder...which was good because it was a looooong line and I would be hella pissed to get to the front if I were a walkin and no one bothered to say they were sold out. I missed out on the master edition Zelda, but Toysrus had some special editions this morning so I ordered one of those.

• VermillionDeVermillionDe Registered User regular
    Missed the preorder altogether. I got SUPER lucky this morning and got one. Turns out a lot of Target's didn't do overnight events, so they were selling theirs first thing today. There's a low volume one near my work so I walked in at 8:10 and walked out with a switch at 8:15. Managed to pick up bomberman, zelda and an extra controller. I'll see if I can bring it in line for PAX for anyone who, like me, likes to be stupidly early.

• craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Got my special edition of BOTW, BOTW for Wiiu and Switch today. Special Edition was picked up as a pre order at Best Buy on my lunch break, the others arrived around 1PM at my work via Amazon and Gamestop respectively :)

DXLJjjr.png
    Just going to leave this here:

7823-6877-0488

Let's be friends.

erdub14zr3u2.png

• kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    I'll wait a few months. Cant wait to play my friend's that he is bringing to Boston

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2017
    PSA on battery: your average power bank for phones will NOT adequately charge your Switch. An average 5v 2A battery took about eight hours to charge the Switch, and could not charge the thing while actively playing games. It will likely give you another hour or two of play time, but your Switch battery will continue to drain.

Just something to keep in mind next weekend. Those power banks are meant for the lower demands of tablets and phones, not what is basically a small, mid-range gaming PC. Bring your AC adapter!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    PSA on battery: your average power bank for phones will NOT adequately charge your Switch. An average 5v 2A battery took about eight hours to charge the Switch, and could not charge the thing while actively playing games. It will likely give you another hour or two of play time, but your Switch battery will continue to drain.

Just something to keep in mind next weekend. Those power banks are meant for the lower demands of tablets and phones, not what is basically a small, mid-range gaming PC. Bring your AC adapter!

Confirmed using a common portable charger and a power bank. The charger didn't charge while playing but it did significantly delay drainage. Still, not enough to recommend. My power bank charged my system while playing, albeit slowly (2% per 5 minutes). When not playing, it successfully charged it at a similar rate when docked. I should specify this was all while playing Zelda. Playing Shovel Knight wasn't even remotely as power hungry, so the power bank fully charged the system while playing without issue.

I can't comment on the specific brand. But I definitely second his PSA. Bring your adapter, and bring a high quality charger.

erdub14zr3u2.png

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You're unlikely to find a power bank right now that will satisfy the Switch's hunger, as a whole lot of products aren't both A] around 39W and B] using USB-C. The Macbook Pro (?) is one such item, but I haven't seen anything reasonable for it.

In the G&T Switch thread, I posted my results using a 5W 2.4A bank at 22.2 Wh and got an extra 3ish hours of play time. Way below what'd you expect for that kind of capacity, but it may let your Switch survive a lengthy flight to Boston. But if you want something to, you know, charge your system while eating lunch or something, then you're gonna have to forage for an outlet. Also, I highly recommend a dedicated brick for the Switch so your vital devices don't have to compete (also if you try charging the Switch and ANYTHING else at the same time, you will find the Switch's relatively high amperage demand will slow things down all around).

One other note, while it is highly unlikely, make sure the Voltage never exceeds 15. Amperage is a "takes what it needs" deal, so you can exceed that. But if you exceed voltage, you are at best going to really kill the battery life on the Switch and pay through the nose for a new one, or at worst make the battery explode. Again, finding any kind of recharging solution that exceeds 15V is like...practically impossible (most run at 5) but YOU NEVER KNOW and I'd hate for people to brick their shiny new Switches.

YL9WnCY.png
    You're unlikely to find a power bank right now that will satisfy the Switch's hunger, as a whole lot of products aren't both A] around 39W and B] using USB-C. The Macbook Pro (?) is one such item, but I haven't seen anything reasonable for it.

In the G&T Switch thread, I posted my results using a 5W 2.4A bank at 22.2 Wh and got an extra 3ish hours of play time. Way below what'd you expect for that kind of capacity, but it may let your Switch survive a lengthy flight to Boston. But if you want something to, you know, charge your system while eating lunch or something, then you're gonna have to forage for an outlet. Also, I highly recommend a dedicated brick for the Switch so your vital devices don't have to compete (also if you try charging the Switch and ANYTHING else at the same time, you will find the Switch's relatively high amperage demand will slow things down all around).

One other note, while it is highly unlikely, make sure the Voltage never exceeds 15. Amperage is a "takes what it needs" deal, so you can exceed that. But if you exceed voltage, you are at best going to really kill the battery life on the Switch and pay through the nose for a new one, or at worst make the battery explode. Again, finding any kind of recharging solution that exceeds 15V is like...practically impossible (most run at 5) but YOU NEVER KNOW and I'd hate for people to brick their shiny new Switches.

After testing for a couple days, I'm very pleased with the results of my bank. In power down or sleep mode, a full system charge hits about 3 hours- comparable to using the dock/AC adapter- without heavily compromising the bank's storage. Given the extensive use of the system would only be in line for panel queues, this will work for what I need.

The other devices run off another charger if needed, but that's probably just going to be the phone.

Next year I'll bring a wheelbarrow with a small generator and sell "portable charges". ;-)

erdub14zr3u2.png

• kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    MephistoN7 wrote: »

After testing for a couple days, I'm very pleased with the results of my bank. In power down or sleep mode, a full system charge hits about 3 hours- comparable to using the dock/AC adapter- without heavily compromising the bank's storage. Given the extensive use of the system would only be in line for panel queues, this will work for what I need.

The other devices run off another charger if needed, but that's probably just going to be the phone.

Next year I'll bring a wheelbarrow with a small generator and sell "portable charges". ;-)

Small Gas Generator with spots to charge Switches and Mobile phones! (charge $5 a charge)

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • cpc197ccpc197c Registered User regular
    Hmm, going to have to get a new power bank for this beast at some point. Will bring my wall adapter for now, and battle people to the death for socket space!

BP8CyRA.png
  • SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Happy to report that after my issue with Target cancelling my pre-order (CC issue) I managed to snag a Switch.

Was 2nd in line at local Best Buy. Got there at 3:30 PM and waited patienly (an a bit numb in the feet from the cold) until 12:15 when I happily went home with my Switch.

The BB i was at had 100 units. 29 went to pre-orders first and the other 71 to those who waited. I will say that the lady running the event was very nice and divulged as much info as allowed as the night went on. Once the line reached 71 people she handed out the tickets. This was at 11PM. You where then allowed to leave if you wanted and come back at Midnight but would be asked to go to the end of line if you did. A ticket guaranteed a system not place in line. Of course no one was interested in leaving anyway :)

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    Tried the Switch at Pax East yesterday and totally regret not ordering one :cry:

Now everyone is sold out of them...

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png