As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-Schooler entertainment!

Hey guys!

So my little one just turned 3 on the weekend.

She has begun her "why?" phase and I'm looking to upgrade her entertainment options. We're cord-cutters, so all we have is Netflix and YouTube as options. Please recommend good shows available via those means for a little inquisitive mind. Bonus if they don't drive mom and dad completely up the wall! Oh, and I'm in Canada, in case that makes a difference.

I'm trying to ween her off of those dumb YouTube toy shows where it's just some pair of hands with a thick accent opening up Tsum Tsums.

So far, some of my favorites that we've found are:

Sarah and Duck (love this one so much. There's nonsense in it, but it's of the Alice-in-Wonderland variety, not the baby babble variety)
Paw Patrol (I thought I would hate it, but it's inoffensive, and you could do much worse that cutify and glamorize first responders and the like.)
Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (How can you hate on Fred Roger's legacy!)
PJ Masks (Not high on education value, but it's baby's first Avengers, basically, so it gets a pass from this nerdy daddy. Plus I got her the plush toys and she absolutely loves them!)
Sesame Street highlights on YouTube (minus Elmo if I can help it)

Some of the ones I don't care for too much are:

Caillou (Clearly written by adults who don't actually know how children talk or act)
Elmo's World (Sesame Street is great, but anything Elmo-centric is grating, plus I'm not a fan of the infantile language)
Teletubbies (I don't want her picking up the Gibberish talk just as her language is developing)
Baby Jake (again, too many nonsense words, plus every episode is exactly the same, with slight variation, with a 10 minutes intro. No educational value at all.)

So, now that you know my tastes, please let me know what else is worth checking out!

Thanks guys!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Netflix:
    Dinosaur Train - Dino facts
    Wild Kratts - Animal facts
    Octonauts - Fish facts

PBS Kids content (The first two) is available on Netflix, or through it's own streaming service if you have a roku / Amazon Fire deal. Much of it's pretty decent.

E: BE WARNED Dinosaur Train comes at a cost on Netflix. You WILL get suggestions for Dino Squad and Dinosaur Kings.

1 star these immediately.

E2: Clarity

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    All of these are on netflix

octonauts for sure though the song is way too catchy

I really enjoy phineas and ferb, but might be a touch too old.
    Story bots is good.
    justin time

camo_sig.png
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Netflix:
    Octonauts - Fish facts

PBS Kids content (The first two) is available on Netflix, or through it's own streaming service if you have a roku / Amazon Fire deal. Much of it's pretty decent.

E: BE WARNED Dinosaur Train comes at a cost on Netflix. You WILL get suggestions for Dino Squad and Dinosaur Kings.

Sorry, not understanding what you mean about the "cost". Dino Squad and Dinosaur Kings I take it are not kid's shows? Would they also show up if I'm using the "kids" portion of Netflix? Does one-starring shows cause them to stop showing up on your recommended list? Didn't know that!

• El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    My 3 year old likes Justin Time, Pocoyo and Puffin Rock. All are available on Netflix (I'm also in Canada).

I'm a fan of Justin Time because there is usually a mild history or cultural lesson involved. As well as some kind of small moral too the story.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
    Pocoyo! Totally forgot about him! I love that little guy!

Justin Time is Canadian too, is it not? Ok, I'll try integrating him into the rotation more for sure.

• El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Yeah, Justin Time is a Canadian production.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
    More thoughts of what I have watched. Our oldest is 5

Oso is ok as well but i find him annoying.
    They have the leap frog frog letter factory type stuff which is not too bad.
    little einsteins is in the same boat, lot of classical music in them.
    transformers rescue bots, not violent
    Magic school bus
    chuggington but i find them annoying

camo_sig.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Netflix:
    Octonauts - Fish facts

Sorry, not understanding what you mean about the "cost". Dino Squad and Dinosaur Kings I take it are not kid's shows? Would they also show up if I'm using the "kids" portion of Netflix? Does one-starring shows cause them to stop showing up on your recommended list? Didn't know that!
    It was suggested to me as a way to remove Caillou. Poor Caillou, little dude can't get a break.

Re: Dino-crimes.

They are mind poison, but technically child appropriate.

Dino Kings is essentially pokemon with dinosaurs.

Dino Squad is... I don't know. Plucky youths turn into dinosaurs to stop other people who are dinosaurs from making more dinosaur things, precariously unaware that the moustache twirling Dr. Veloci of Raptor Industries was actually the villainous velociraptor (Deinonychus!) mutant the whole time!

Also Dinosaurs didn't go extinct, they turned into humans because they embraced love and intelligence as virtues.

STOP MAKING ME REMEMBER.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Super Why! is pretty harmless, and potentially a good way to get going on reading. (though the formula becomes evident very quickly)

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Word Girl always seemed pretty alright to me. Nothing super grating and the kiddo seemed to love it. I cannot stress how awesome Wild Kratts is though. The show is closer to Captain Planet, but with a bigger focus on the animals rather than environmentalism directly. I liked a lot of the PBS shows that I am 90% certain are on their website as well as youtube. Well plus or minus Caillou. Even my kid hated that little asshole. I haven't had occasion to check out Netflix Originals content for that age group, but I have been pretty consistently impressed by their stuff for my kid's age group for a while now. I would check them out just to see, but I can't point to anything specific.

• Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    3.5 year old, Canadian as well. My son likes the following, a lot that's been repeated.

Netflix:
    Paw Patrol
    Transformers Rescue Bots
    Octonauts
    Puffin Rock
    Super Why

I'd check out https://www.knowledgekids.ca/ . (If you had cable) this is sort of like PBS in the US. No product commercials (toys, cereal, etc) just commercials for other shows. They've got the Canadian "rights" to a bunch of shows and have 1-4 episodes of different shows that refresh occasionally as well.

He watches Shutterbugs, Digby Dragon, Wild Kratts, Astroblast, Kate and Mim-mim, Zerby Derby, Doozers, Shawn the sheep, Daniel Tiger are all age appropriate. Check them out.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Look for Little Bear and Kipper the Dog. Both excellent, age appropriate, and non-irritating. :)

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Super WHY! has the power to EDIT, not to read, DAMMIT.

Sorry, I'm still recovering. Otherwise, it's okay, if very formulaic. Blue's Clues is the superior option by the same ... "inventor."

Daniel Tiger's good, but prescreen the episodes if you can. There are a couple that teach ... uh, "questionable" behavior. (Like, "If you can't get what you want, stomp three times!" No, thank you.)

Wild Kratts are fantastic and fun, and they've always got some live action parts with real animals. You can even go see them live, if they're in the area - my oldest son and I did that and he loved it; they're a pretty fun show. Seconding suggestions for Dinosaur Train ("I have a hypothesis!") and Octonauts (which is aggressively cute; "Creature report!").

I and my sons like Thomas the Train - the older ones with the voiceover and the static faces are sometimes the best ones.

It's a bit harder to find, but Peep and the Big Wide World is a good show, narrated by Joan Cusack of all people.

I think all rational people agree that Caillou is poison.

Lots of great suggestions here guys! Thanks a lot! It seems Octonauts came up a lot so I'll add that. I'm pretty sure we tried Wild Kratts and she didn't care for it, but that was a while ago.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    If you can see in Canada, Amazon has TumbleLeaf, and that's a great program.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    thomas is good is you want to teach autocracy

camo_sig.png
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    We have a 2.5 year old son, so it will be different, but here's his lineup:
    Puffin Rock
    Wild Kratts
    Tumbleleaf
    DinoTrux (may not be her jam, but construction trucks that are also dinosaurs and do engineering things)
    Dinosaur Train
    Nature Cat isn't too obnoxious
    Magic Schoolbus
    Clifford the big red dog
    Sesame Street

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    2 year old daughter is obsessed with the following:
    curious george movies on netflix
    daniel tiger's neighborhood
    furchester hotel (may want to avoid this one as it features elmo)
    thomas and friends
    charlie brown specials

movies she is obsessed with:
    beauty and the beast
    wreck it ralph (watched this about 12 times last week when she was sick with a double ear infection)
    ponyo

hope that list helps

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    My 2.5 and 5 year old like:
    Zack and quack
    Beatbugs
    Peppa pig
    Paw patrol
    Fireman Sam
    Assorted Disney.
    Paw patrol isn't on Netflix here in nl

steam_sig.png
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Lots of good suggestions. As far as DinoTrux, my son liked it but did think it was a bit scary at times. Puffin Rock is Irish so you get awesome accents.

edit: He loves Transformers: Recue Bots though and also Octonauts.

shadowane on
    Rescue bots wasn't on my list as that theme song is so bad and it's somewhat empty content-wise.

• ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    So my guy is only 2, so some of this may skew younger. But he likes:
    DinoTrux (Netflix, has some fighting/ violence but he really likes this show. Dreamworks makes it so it at least looks like decent CG).
    Puffin Rock (Netflix)
    Tayo the little bus (Netflix and Hulu, I think Hulu has more episodes. Talking Korean bus dubbed over by Canadians.)
    Billy and BamBam (Hulu, and I personally don't like it. Similar to teletubbies, but at least no baby talk. He likes it a lot and seems to learn from it though.)
    Transformer Rescue bots (Netflix, agree it's basically a nothing show)
    Dino Train (PBS)
    Team UmiZoomi (Nick, not sure where else it is available. Lots of math, shapes, etc.)

Well guys, just checking in to let you know Little Undead is watching Octonauts right now and is RIVETED. Chattering to herself and pointing at the TV. At one point she turns to me and goes "Daddy, I like bis!". So thanks for that one dudes!

I think I might try Transformers Rescue bots because Transformers :P

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    All of these are on netflix

octonauts for sure though the song is way too catchy

I really enjoy phineas and ferb, but might be a touch too old.
    Story bots is good.
    justin time

I cannot stress how awesome Phineas and Ferb is, for all ages.

I'm 37 and I love that show to death (as do my kids, 4 and 6).

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    In addition to WordGirl and Super Why! I though WordWorld to be useful in introducing letters and spelling. Not sure where it can be streamed, I think there is some on YouTube. Will have to check and get back to you (though I'm in the US). You might find the music and the bumpers monotonous.

I wish I'd have showed my younger one more of those before he got sucked into dinosaur shows and nature documentaries. A lot of nature documentaries are good. I'd say anything by David Attenborough. My youngest knew Attenborough by name and voice before he hit 4. Except you will want to prescreen. Sometimes you'll get uncensored takedown of prey and it can get gory.

Popular Mechanics for kids is on YouTube I think.

Djeet wrote: »
    In addition to WordGirl and Super Why! I though WordWorld to be useful in introducing letters and spelling. Not sure where it can be streamed, I think there is some on YouTube. Will have to check and get back to you (though I'm in the US). You might find the music and the bumpers monotonous.

I wish I'd have showed my younger one more of those before he got sucked into dinosaur shows and nature documentaries. A lot of nature documentaries are good. I'd say anything by David Attenborough. My youngest knew Attenborough by name and voice before he hit 4. Except you will want to prescreen. Sometimes you'll get uncensored takedown of prey and it can get gory.

Popular Mechanics for kids is on YouTube I think.

Wordworld is on PBS Kids Roku App at least.

oh that reminds me of another show. my son loves Mighty Machines.

camo_sig.png
    So we tried another one yesterday. I showed her some choices out of the suggestions you guys posted and she recognized Thomas and Friends (probably from one of the toy videos she watches on YouTube).

So we start that one up. Boy, they really get into trains in that one, don't they? Describing their functioning, their mechanics, their jobs. Never realized it was so hardcore!

Anyways, Little Undead squeed every time Thomas came on screen, but whenever another train would show up she'd point at it and look at me and say "Daddy, name?". I didn't know them... daddy fail :bigfrown:

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So we tried another one yesterday. I showed her some choices out of the suggestions you guys posted and she recognized Thomas and Friends (probably from one of the toy videos she watches on YouTube).

So we start that one up. Boy, they really get into trains in that one, don't they? Describing their functioning, their mechanics, their jobs. Never realized it was so hardcore!

Anyways, Little Undead squeed every time Thomas came on screen, but whenever another train would show up she'd point at it and look at me and say "Daddy, name?". I didn't know them... daddy fail :bigfrown:

Just wait until they do the puzzle picture at the end of the episode, and your little one identifies the engine before they even start putting the pieces together.

• Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    Canadian with an almost 4 year old here

Treehouse is pretty good for variety and I like most all of the shows. Especially peg plus cat and Jane and the dragon.

If you have Telus Optik on kids plus preschool you should find babar, Timothy goes to school, Roly poly olie, miss spiders sunny patch, Maggie and the ferocious beast, little bear, George shrinks, Franklin, berenstain bears. All excellent shows I remember and enjoyed with my now 15 yo.

You can YouTube up mighty machines and the official channel has them all.

Transformers rescue bits is pretty great and my son and I watched some of gen one since I own the whole thing. He makes a mean transforming noise now.
    I'd also look to see if you can find Oswald and bear in the big blues house.

You found super why and octonauts in this thread I see.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    My friends' kid loves beat bugs. It is a cgi show with bugs as the main characters. The hook is they use Beatles songs throughout the episodes. Seemed pretty great!

BlazeFire wrote: »
    My friends' kid loves beat bugs. It is a cgi show with bugs as the main characters. The hook is they use Beatles songs throughout the episodes. Seemed pretty great!

I watched that a little while ago! The only issue I had was that they kinda shoehorn the songs in a little bit much. "I am the Walrus" was pretty ham-fisted, IMHO. Still, any excuse to expose Little Undead to good music shouldn't be ignored.